Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

Hmmm OK so whats the answer, I was due to leve Thailand on a Singapore airlines flight tomorrow. I have had no contact from anyone telling me what to do? The only information is from here and the tv NEWS. How do I get back home and whos responsability is it?

don't think responsibility is part of the equation. i'd advise keep on calling singapore air until you get something.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone see that American tourist talking to the PAD lady. "Tomorrow is a big holiday in America, do you realise that alot of people are going to miss that because of youur (spelling?) cockamainie protest." So they call it all off to make a relatively small number if American tourists happy. :o

As I said a few pages back - normality at the airport is not going to happen in the next few days..... no decent airline is going to operate here until security is appropriate. At the moment the airport is wide open to many terrorist organisations wanting to take advantage of the situation.

Hmmm OK so whats the answer, I was due to leve Thailand on a Singapore airlines flight tomorrow. I have had no contact from anyone telling me what to do? The only information is from here and the tv NEWS. How do I get back home and whos responsability is it?

it seems you are here to stay for a while unless you take the train to singapore. whose responsibility? good question. If you'd like to hold someone responsible for this kinda thing, its best to avoid this hel_lhole next time. Whatever your business was here, I am sure there are other alternatives? I'm not trying to be cynical here...just some thoughts going thru many peoples minds right now put into words.

Bus it to Phuket or to Phnom Penh and then fly home

the cost is yours. If its on a cc u can try and recoup thru them.

It will be interesting to see if airlines give back unused tickets or credit or if they will call it an "act of war" in which case they are not libel.

what's the chances of this been sorted by the 7th Dec ? I should be flying from Uk on 6th with Qatar and landing on 7th 6.30pm

The nearest date quoted is that the airport will be opened by the 29th. Add one day everyday the PAD are still at the airport.

Edited by hungryhippo

Bloomberg says 292 flights can't get in or out of the airport. By my calculations, that's US$750,000 PER HOUR those companies are losing just on the interest they have to pay for those planes. US$18 million, or 637 million Baht per day, just for the INTEREST. ($225 million per plane x 10% interest x 292 planes / 365 days / 24 hours.) Add in the flight crews, ground crews, and administration, plus the value of the passengers' time, and you quickly get into real money.

120,000 travelers being inconvenienced per day... If their time is worth $25 per hour, that's US$3 million per hour, or $72,000,000 per day.

This is WAY, WAY over US$100,000,000 per day, not counting the money those tourists would have spent in Thailand on this trip, much less the future trips that they now won't make.

Using innocent tourists as pawns to further unrelated political goals-- No, PAD, I don't understand why you "had to do this".

what's the chances of this been sorted by the 7th Dec ? I should be flying from Uk on 6th with Qatar and landing on 7th 6.30pm

The nearest date quoted is that the airport will be opened by the 29th. Add one day everyday the PAD are still at the airport.

Cheers hippo.

I think we will ok to land in BKK on 7th if everything is sorted out by 4th, I really can't see it still going on on the kings birthday ( 5th )

Edited by johnson36

Phone the Singapore airlines office in the country your heading to maybe they can help.

Call Singapore air rebook.

Take a bus to Samui or Phuket and there are direct connections out to Singapore.

Just rebook your flight before you board the buss

SOME HEADS UP FOR PEOPLE FROM THE NETHERLANDS

According to sources a flight scheduled to Bangkok from Amsterdam with KLM (a subsidiary of Air France) that left yesterday diverted to Kuala Lumpur.

The passengers on this plane have received vouchers to fly to any other airport in Thailand from KL using one of KLM's subsidiaries (I.e. Northwest Airlines) or receive a voucher to go by train.

All other flights have been canceled from Amsterdam, the passengers of the flights for later today (GMT+1) can request an e-mail or text service at Schiphol airport or their airline company.

The airline companies involved are: KLM, EVA air (Taiwan), China Airlines (Taiwan).

Passengers on popular flight routes with Singapore Airlines (via Singapore) are requested to contact Singapore airlines as there is a HIGH RISK to get stranded in Singapore.

People with an "cancellation insurance" are advised to contact their representative and their airline company to see if it is possible to cancel and/or reschedule.

Edited by astute

hmmm.... i am landing there on December 5th morning... hope things clear by then... but as a photographer... i am excited either ways...interesting times in Thai Politics.. hope i dont get there too late...

Edited by LucifeL

From Air Berlin:

Due to the current political situation the airport in Bangkok is closed until 27.11.2008, 6pm local time.

For this reason certain flights on this route may be cancelled or rerouted at short notice.

We will keep you updated on any further developments.

http://www.airberlin.com/site/aims.php?LAN...DAY=3&FLNO=

Where are they getting the date of 27th at 6pm from?

They are reporting it on Sky News in the Uk that PM will speak at 2pm UK time.

Also reporting that Pro-Govt gang has shot dead an Anti Govt protester in Chiang Mai.

i cant find any information on this, does any body have a link to the above?

regards

Timo

BBC World News reported on this about twenty minutes ago.

Edited by bulmercke

My thoughts are with the PM. I get very jet lagged and can barely function when I land--I don't envy his situation.

Do you fly in business class of thai.....whit two lady massage you all fly??

hhahaha sorry the ot

I love it, supposed to be back at work Saturday morning in the UK, looks more like next week now, can we please have a whip round though I'm getting a bit short, been in Patts for 3 weeks already, and thats all i budgeted for. LOL .

Insurance company does not want to know, will the airlines compensate? I tried BA in Bangkok all day today, but cannot get throw.

Both SAS and Thai air says it will be opened tomorrow at 6PM, don't know why they think so but they do. from SAS:

Update 26 November at 16:30 CET

The international airport in Bangkok is expected to reopen 27 November at 18.00 local time (11.00 CET).

SAS’ flight SK972 from Bangkok to Copenhagen on 27 November is expected to depart Bangkok 18.00 local time, renamed SK 6972.

SAS’ flight SK973 from Copenhagen to Bangkok with the original departure time at 21.05, 27 November, is expected to leave Copenhagen 28 November at 02.00 local time.

SAS’ flight SK975 from Stockholm to Bangkok on 27 November is expected to operate as scheduled.

SAS will offer rebooking and refund of tickets for all cancelled flights.

Scandinavian Airlines apologizes for the inconvenience this causes to our passengers.

Edited by gosatta

I love it, supposed to be back at work Saturday morning in the UK, looks more like next week now, can we please have a whip round though I'm getting a bit short, been in Patts for 3 weeks already, and thats all i budgeted for. LOL .

Insurance company does not want to know, will the airlines compensate? I tried BA in Bangkok all day today, but cannot get throw.

Hi Bartender

I got stuck in Phuket when this started back in August, had a nightmare getting home. Missed my flight and couldn't get thru to my airline (EVA air) in bkk for advice/help. Ended up calling Eva air in the UK and they were very understanding and waived the charge for missing my flight and told me that as long as I could get to bkk they would get me on a plane. I got home gratis albeit a week later than I should have returned. My insurance also didn't want to know and very unhelpful. My advice would be to try and contact BA in the UK and go from there, costs an arm and a leg thou!

Good luck!

Jim

Won't travel insurance cover any of this? Hardly worth having it.