Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does anyone know if Qatar are flying from U-Tapao?

My wife and I have been trying to call the Bangkok office for hours now to no avail. We're due to fly Monday evening. I'm guessing that even if Qatar are using that option we won't be in line to go until about the 5th or 6th at the very earliest. We've a flight to Dublin booked on the 8th!

What a nightmare.

TG 994 Thai Airways International (SYD) Sydney 02:15 PM En Route

This looks promising...the fact is says "En Route" and not cancelled for Suvarnabhumi Airport in the "BKK ARRIVALS" for the 29th Nov 08

TG 991 Thai Airways International (SYD) Sydney 07:55 AM Cancelled

Although the trip back to Aus for the 29th has been cancelled...

Edited by Tex79

Bangkok airport to stay shut until Monday

Posted: 29 November 2008 1818 hrs

BANGKOK: Thailand's main international airport will officially remain closed for another two days, airport authorities said Saturday, as protesters continued to occupy the building.

Anti-government demonstrators occupied Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok on Tuesday and the domestic Don Muang airport was closed on Thursday, stranding tens of thousands of travellers.

Despite the declaration of a state of emergency at both sites by embattled Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, police have failed to act against the protesters amid fears of violence.

"The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) group is still occupying the area in front of the Suvarnabhumi airport passenger building with no sign of dissolving," airport director Saereerat Prasutanont said in a statement.

"The airport, therefore, has to declare there will be no flights in or out for a further 48 hours until 6.00 pm (1100 GMT) on December 1," he said.

The PAD protesters have vowed not to leave until the resignation of the government that was elected last December.

Army will prevent more from joining protests

By The Nation on Sunday

Published on November 30, 2008

The Army will follow orders from the government in dealing with protesters and will also try to avoid the use of force against the protesters, its spokesman said yesterday.

Colonel Sansern Kaewkamnerd also dismissed a perception that the Army was resisting government authority.

Sansern said the Army would provide three companies of soldiers, as requested by the police, to support their operation at Suvarnabhumi Airport, which was seized along with the Don Mueang Airport by protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy.

He said troops would not be involved in the dispersal of the protesters but would focus on preventing more people from joining the protest.

The spokesman said Army commander-in-chief General Anupong Paochinda had instructed his subordinates, as a mechanism of the state, to follow orders in a way that would cause the least possible damage.

He also pointed out that in the prime minister's order declaring a state of emergency the police were mainly responsible for dealing with the protesters while the Air Force would assist at Don Mueang and the Navy at Suvarnabhumi.

Sansern explained that the arrangement was in line with the allocation of duties among the armed forces, as the Army was responsible for the inner areas of Bangkok.

The Army spokesman said yesterday that 17 companies from the Army would be involved in a city-wide mission to keep law and order, with troops stationed at state agencies and major intersections.

He also said there would be troop movements in a day or two for a rehearsal of the trooping of the colours ahead of His Majesty the King's birthday. He reiterated the Army chief's insistence that there would be no coup.

I am not sure if this article has been quoted before but seems rather relevant :

Asian Human Rights Commission:

The takeover of the main international airport in Bangkok by protestors going under the banner of the People's Alliance for Democracy is a watershed moment for democracy and the rule of law in Thailand. It follows some months of increasingly aggressive strategies to get the current government to resign and to block it from making amendments to the 2008 Constitution, which was prepared under the watch of the 2006 military coup leaders and their supporters and pushed through via a deeply flawed referendum.

PAD have fascist qualities for full article.

By Post Reporters

Tens of thousands of stranded passengers have been squeezing into the only terminal at U-tapao airport to catch flights out of the country.

Tents have been erected outside the terminal to provide shelter to the passengers and more mobile toilets have been installed.

Traffic to the airport, in Rayong's Ban Chang district, has been backed up for several kilometres.

Capt Kiatkul Suwan, who oversees the airport, said immigration officers are working around the clock.

On average, about 50 international flights have left the facility daily after the airport was opened for commercial flights. Each flight can accommodate 200-300 passengers.

Transport Minister Santi Promphat said the air force base in Don Mueang has also been opened for commercial flights to held stranded passengers get out of the country.

He said authorities were also negotiating with neighbouring countries to see if they can reroute passengers to their airports and send them home. He said the government is doing its best to resolve the crisis after People's Alliance for Democracy supporters continued their siege of Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports.

The tourism industry across the country has been dealt a massive blow with the shutdown of Suvarnabhumi, the country's main commercial gateway to the world, as well as Don Mueang airport, which mainly handles domestic flights.

Hotels, restaurants and other tourism-related business owners in key tourist destinations from Satun to Chiang Rai have reported cancellations.

They believe the shutdown of the airports has not only caused difficulties for tourists but has also undermined tourists' confidence in Thailand.

In Chiang Rai's popular Phu Chi Fah area, about 10 per cent of the hotel reservations have been cancelled.

More cancellations are expected as the crisis in Bangkok drags on.

Somkiat Chuenthirawong, the chairman of Chiang Rai's tourism association, said the tourism and service sector is losing huge amounts of income and any reopening of the two airports is nowhere in sight. He added that a massive drop in income from tourism is widely expected in the industry if the situation is not resolved soon.

Satun is already facing a grim holiday season.

About 50 per cent of the bookings during the Christmas and New Year festivities, mainly by foreign tourists, have been cancelled.

In Hat Yai, Songkhla's commercial district, a large of number of foreign tourists arrived to board planes out of the country.

The stranded tourists have headed to Hat Yai, from where they can fly or go overland to Malaysia and Singapore and return to their home countries from there.

"Several hundred buses to Malaysia and Singapore are fully booked. The tourists have been advised to come to Hat Yai for flights to Malaysia or Singapore and then return home," said Kriangkrai Samphankul, chairman of the Phatthalung tourism association.

"But some are taking the opportunity to explore Hat Yai as well while they are here."

AIRPORTS OFFICIALLY CLOSED UNTILL MONDAY

Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports will not open before Tuesday at the earliest, officials said on Saturday.

Serirat Prasutanon, president of Airports of Thailand, said the airport is occupied and unable to operate. Previous statements said the airport would be closed until at least Friday, and then Saturday.

The People's Alliance for Democracy, or PAD, seized control of the airport last Tuesday, and claim they will remain at the facilities until the government resigns

In the evening news on Flemish television they interviewed a blocked tourist by phone in Thailand who declared he was put on a waiting list to depart.

Departure date 08/01/2009

he was not alone also several German tourist from Munich had given this date.

about 100 000 people are blocked.

especially the people who where flying on charter flights or charter seats are in deep problem.Don't forget when everything start to be normal the situation will not be salved immdeatly ,because normaly flights from Europe to Bangkok are fully booked months before hand.

Regarding Emirates Flights and additional costs due to transfering to another airport they are offering

(Kuala Lumpur, Singapur, Hong Kong at the moment).

I got a response (in writing) to my e-mail from the German office: They are NOT taking over any costs that occur whatsoever regarding the transfer by bus, train oder plane.

Finally I managed to get through to the Bangkok office today as well (by phone): I got the same answer as above.

Only the re-booking is free of charge, if the available seat does not meet your booking class, you have to pay the difference.

This just as an objective information, 'cause I read in this thread, that other guys obviously managed to get a refund.

At the time of the phone-call (1 p.m. today), they (resp. their head office in Dubai) are not planning to pick up stranded passengers from another Thai airport like e.g. U-Tapao.

Take good care everyone and catch a safe flight home!

Khun R.

Regarding Emirates Flights and additional costs due to transfering to another airport they are offering

I got a response (in writing) to my e-mail from the German office: They are NOT taking over any costs that occur whatsoever regarding the transfer by bus, train oder plane.

Finally I managed to get through to the Bangkok office today as well (by phone): I got the same answer as above.

Only the re-booking is free of charge, if the available seat does not meet your booking class, you have to pay the difference.

This just as an objective information, 'cause I read in this thread, that other guys obviously managed to get a refund.

At the time of the phone-call (1 p.m. today), they (resp. their head office in Dubai) are not planning to pick up stranded passengers from another Thai airport like e.g. U-Tapao.

Khun R.

Yeah i'm VERY pi**ed off with Emirates because they are refusing to refund me the cash for the flight, All they will do is take me to one of the 3 places above... Bloody well useless! Here's the e-mails, They read in reverse so the 1st e-mail was the last one sent to me, You have to read from the bottom of the post upwards :

Thank you for your email.

There is no further information we are able to offer at present.

Kind regards,

Neil

Emirates UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: 30 November 2008 12:29

To: EKUK

Subject: RE: Online booking query: Help with a completed booking

I understand the problems in Thailand have nothing to do with the airline, But if the airline takes my money and doesn't give me anything for it (i.e a flight) then that is classed as theft under English law (if they do not refund it minus the creditcard fee of course). I don't want to cancel my flight until i know i cannot definitley get there 100%. But i may not know until the last minute and by then i'd think the airline wouldn't refund me anyway because of the late notice, Please can you speak to your supervisor and ask him/her about this,

I will also continue to look on the Emirates website for further updates too

Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:17:16 +0000

To: Farside

The nature of the situation in Bangkok is due to circumstances beyond the control of the airline.

As you are not due to travel until 24th December, it may be that the situation has changed so that flights into Bangkok are possible, therefore we would advise that you keep checking for updates at emirates.com.

If you choose to cancel at the moment, the normal cancellation penalties will apply as per your travel agent.

Kind regards,

Neil

Emirates UK

Sent: 30 November 2008 12:09

So let me get this right.. I paid for a ticket to BKK and if the airport is not opened then you will only fly me to another destination (a VERY far away destination!!) then expect me to get my own way there? Sorry but that is unacceptable. I'd want a refund if you could not take me to the place that i paid you for. I think it is out of order, If you went to a car dealer and bought a jag and then they gave you a volvo would you accept that? I think not.

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:54:27 +0000

You would need to organise onward travel yourself as we have no current means of getting people into Bangkok from these destinations.

Kind regards,

Neil

Emirates UK

Sent: 30 November 2008 11:49

Hi,

Please can you tell me how you would get me to Thailand from the other alternative destinations?

Thanks

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:44:23 +0000

The Philippines is not included in the list of alternative destinations - if you wish to reroute via the Philippines, charges will apply as per the usual conditions.

Kind regards,

Neil

Emirates UK

Sent: 30 November 2008 10:31

Hi,

Will you fly to the Philippines ? I think that would be cheaper for you then to fly to one of the countries you mentioned, Because otherwise you'd need to pay the land travel costs of getting to Bangkok from the other country,

Thanks,

Mr *****

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:57:21 +0000

Thank you for your enquiry.

Flights operating to/from Bangkok up until 2nd December have been cancelled.

Affected passengers can choose to travel into or out of another airport that Emirates operates in the vicinity of Bangkok, such as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Hong Kong. Re-booking or re-issue charges will be waived, and the fare paid to/from Bangkok will be honoured for travel to/from the alternative airports. This re-routing is subject to seat availability and will be permitted until Emirates’ normal operations resume at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Passengers to/from Bangkok who do not wish to re-route will be re-booked on the first available flight when the airport re-opens.

To amend your reservation, you would be required to contact an Emirates office nearest to you. Please visit our website, www.Emirates.com/uk >> Help >> Local Offices to find out the contact details of Emirates offices. The Emirates office in Bangkok is open over the weekend due to the disruption.

Kind regards

Neil

Emirates UK

Khun R.

Yeah i'm VERY pi**ed off with Emirates because they are refusing to refund me the cash for the flight, All they will do is take me to one of the 3 places above... Bloody well useless! Here's the e-mails, They read in reverse so the 1st e-mail was the last one sent to me, You have to read from the bottom of the post upwards :

There is no further information we are able to offer at present.

Kind regards,

Neil

Emirates UK

Sent: 30 November 2008 12:29

I understand the problems in Thailand have nothing to do with the airline, But if the airline takes my money and doesn't give me anything for it (i.e a flight) then that is classed as theft under English law (if they do not refund it minus the creditcard fee of course). I don't want to cancel my flight until i know i cannot definitley get there 100%. But i may not know until the last minute and by then i'd think the airline wouldn't refund me anyway because of the late notice, Please can you speak to your supervisor and ask him/her about this,

I will also continue to look on the Emirates website for further updates too

Thanks.

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:17:16 +0000

The nature of the situation in Bangkok is due to circumstances beyond the control of the airline.

As you are not due to travel until 24th December, it may be that the situation has changed so that flights into Bangkok are possible, therefore we would advise that you keep checking for updates at emirates.com.

If you choose to cancel at the moment, the normal cancellation penalties will apply as per your travel agent.

Kind regards,

Neil

Emirates UK

Sent: 30 November 2008 12:09

So let me get this right.. I paid for a ticket to BKK and if the airport is not opened then you will only fly me to another destination (a VERY far away destination!!) then expect me to get my own way there? Sorry but that is unacceptable. I'd want a refund if you could not take me to the place that i paid you for. I think it is out of order, If you went to a car dealer and bought a jag and then they gave you a volvo would you accept that? I think not.

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:54:27 +0000

You would need to organise onward travel yourself as we have no current means of getting people into Bangkok from these destinations.

Kind regards,

Neil

Emirates UK

Sent: 30 November 2008 11:49

Hi,

Please can you tell me how you would get me to Thailand from the other alternative destinations?

Thanks

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 11:44:23 +0000

The Philippines is not included in the list of alternative destinations - if you wish to reroute via the Philippines, charges will apply as per the usual conditions.

Kind regards,

Neil

Emirates UK

Sent: 30 November 2008 10:31

Hi,

Will you fly to the Philippines ? I think that would be cheaper for you then to fly to one of the countries you mentioned, Because otherwise you'd need to pay the land travel costs of getting to Bangkok from the other country,

Thanks,

Mr *****

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:57:21 +0000

Thank you for your enquiry.

Flights operating to/from Bangkok up until 2nd December have been cancelled.

Affected passengers can choose to travel into or out of another airport that Emirates operates in the vicinity of Bangkok, such as Kuala Lumpur, Singapore or Hong Kong. Re-booking or re-issue charges will be waived, and the fare paid to/from Bangkok will be honoured for travel to/from the alternative airports. This re-routing is subject to seat availability and will be permitted until Emirates’ normal operations resume at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Passengers to/from Bangkok who do not wish to re-route will be re-booked on the first available flight when the airport re-opens.

To amend your reservation, you would be required to contact an Emirates office nearest to you. Please visit our website, www.Emirates.com/uk >> Help >> Local Offices to find out the contact details of Emirates offices. The Emirates office in Bangkok is open over the weekend due to the disruption.

Kind regards

Neil

Emirates UK

Thanks for sharing Farside. Interesting.

Re Emirates - I fly them all the time, but I think they have got too big for their boots. Not only is their Dubai terminal overflowing and inadequate (even the business lounges - the bogs are a disgrace), but their high-handed attitude in this instance you describe is unacceptable, and also the price of their flights - they went up with the oil spike, but haven't come down since. Avoid.

Re Emirates.I am a frequent flyer with them and was due to fly Nov 27th.Due to the fact that my flight was cancelled they have done what any other airline would do.That being offer me 3 choices.Delay my flight until one becomes available(airport opens again!!),fly me into somewhere else,then onto BKK with them picking up the tab OR the offer of a FULL refund which I must state was offered to me as a FIRST OPTION.

If you wish to cancel any ticket with any airlines that currently is valid (24th Dcember is a long way off yet) then you must expect a cancellation charge.Ailines will not refund unless the Foreign Office of a country deems travel to your destination as unsafe.And as of yet the UK has not done so.If you feel that is unsafe then I respect that,BUT,that would be your decision and no one elses.So why should the airline give refunds on 'still current' and valid tickets?

Re Emirates.I am a frequent flyer with them and was due to fly Nov 27th.Due to the fact that my flight was cancelled they have done what any other airline would do.That being offer me 3 choices.Delay my flight until one becomes available(airport opens again!!),fly me into somewhere else,then onto BKK with them picking up the tab OR the offer of a FULL refund which I must state was offered to me as a FIRST OPTION.

If you wish to cancel any ticket with any airlines that currently is valid (24th Dcember is a long way off yet) then you must expect a cancellation charge.Ailines will not refund unless the Foreign Office of a country deems travel to your destination as unsafe.And as of yet the UK has not done so.If you feel that is unsafe then I respect that,BUT,that would be your decision and no one elses.So why should the airline give refunds on 'still current' and valid tickets?

Yes but what use is 3 other completely different countries? When i go to Thailand i go there to see my wife, Not another country, Another country has no bearing on anything. Also if you read the e-mails i received from Emirates today it clearly says they will NOT pick up the tab for anything. i have to pay for my own transport to get to thailand :D

Also the tickets may not be valid for the date i bought them for, But i will know this within 2 or 3 weeks, So they are no use to me if the dates are later, i only get 2 weeks off work and that it not a week later or 3 weeks later if / when the flights become available at that time, It is 2 weeks over the xmas, Thats the shut down period for all employees of my work, That's it. The fact that Emirates have said no refund is plain and simply THEFT now. It looks like they have taken money and not given any goods or the correct goods which was paid for. Giving me flights after i have to start work again is a joke lol, They should just refund everyone who wants it... If the flight dates aren't the same dates that as were paid for.

Would you buy something online then accept something completely different that arrived in the post? I don't think so :o

We'll see how this pans out over the next few weeks though

Edited by Farside

EVA are coming up trumps....due to fly on 6/12 and EVA are offering full refund or date change at no extra cost. They dont have to but they are.

Anyone have reports of what BA's stand is?

Yes but what use is 3 other completely different countries? When i go to Thailand i go there to see my wife, Not another country, Another country has no bearing on anything. Also if you read the e-mails i received from Emirates today it clearly says they will NOT pick up the tab for anything. i have to pay for my own transport to get to thailand :D

Also the tickets may not be valid for the date i bought them for, But i will know this within 2 or 3 weeks, So they are no use to me if the dates are later, i only get 2 weeks off work and that it not a week later or 3 weeks later if / when the flights become available at that time, It is 2 weeks over the xmas, Thats the shut down period for all employees of my work, That's it. The fact that Emirates have said no refund is plain and simply THEFT now. It looks like they have taken money and not given any goods or the correct goods which was paid for. Giving me flights after i have to start work again is a joke lol, They should just refund everyone who wants it... If the flight dates aren't the same dates that as were paid for.

Would you buy something online then accept something completely different that arrived in the post? I don't think so :o

As I said in my reply,I think you will find that if the protest is still ongoing and the airport is still closed when you are due to fly in you WILL be offered A refund as they have done with myself and my cancelled flights.

I personally am waiting to see what happens by the end of this week before I decide to get my money back.

EVA are coming up trumps....due to fly on 6/12 and EVA are offering full refund or date change at no extra cost. They dont have to but they are.

Anyone have reports of what BA's stand is?

As I wrote before,Emirates have done the same as EVA.I was due to fly 27th Nov,called them 25th(day the airport was taken over) and they said ANYONE who has booked to fly into Bangkok upto and including 2nd Dec can have a FULL REFUND.That last date has obviously changed now due to the ongoing situation.

I was in the US most of November, visiting family. I was due to return to LOS on EVA on the 28th from LA, via Taiwan and on to BKK the 30th. But, the Taiwan/Bangkok flight was cancelled. I ended up departing LA on the 29th and am now in the airport in Taiwan awaiting a late afternoon special flight from here to Utapao. Looks like a half a dozen other Thailand-bound passengers here in the EVA lounge waiting for the same flight. EVA has scheduled several special flights to Europe via Utapao.

For the latest news on EVA flights, check here:

EVA News

And look for updates on Bangkok, Utapao and Europe.

Farside, I can imagine your frustration. I was due to fly with Gulf Air from Dubai and when this first started they told me that no refund would be available, but that they could put me on another flight or rebook my flight free of charge. I also told them that I have work and other commitments, that is why I booked those specific dates. I thought I would wait it out and see what would happen in the next couple of days. I was due to fly out on the 26th of November. On the 29th I received a call from Gulf Air teling me that a full refund option would now be available. I could refund or rebook free of charge up until December 31st, 2008. So 24th of December, if that is your flight date, is a bit too far out for Emirates or anyone else for that matter, to know for sure whether the airport will open or not. No airline is liable for covering any of your alternative travel costs no matter what the situation, so you are absolutely on your own there. You have three options really... Either reroute to Malaysia or Cambodia or any other bordering country and manage the rest of the travel to BKK yourself. Either wait until the 24th and see what happens, if the airport opens you can carry on with your normal schedule. Or if the airport remains shut down, you will most likely receive a refund offer.

Let me get this right... you are flying out of the UK? I believe the UK falls under the EU Airline Regulations. Just google the regulations. If on the 24th, your flight is delayed by more than one day, you are entitled to a full refund and basically a free flight. If it is cancelled I think something along similar lines. This counts for all EU carriers and and non EU carriers flying in or out of the EU. These regulations however will only become useful upon delay or cancellation of the Emirates flight on the 24th of December... Im not entirely sure whether the UK falls under these regulations as the UK opted out of many EU points, as we all know, the currency... Just check it out!

Hope you can make your flight on the 24th... As for me, I totally got screwed over by the PAD... haha At least I got my money back...

Regards,

Martin

According to Bangkok Post, freight mail at Suvarnabhumi will resume at full capacity on December 4th.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/021208_Business...c2008_biz30.php

Somehow that just sounds unrealistic . . .

Same source says 7 days from PAD leaving....

Suvaranbhumi to resume in 7 days, if PAD leaves

(BangkokPost.com) - Airports of Thailand (AOT) acting president Serirat Pasutanond said Suvarnabhumi airport could resume operation in about a week once the anti-government protesters led by the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) leave the airport.

Mr Serirat expected it would take authorities approximately seven days to check the readiness of Suvarnabhumi once the protesters leave.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=135126

Cheers

posted this in another thread already, but might be useful here too:

two most recent bangkokpost sms:

1) PAD will continue to occupy Suvarnabhumi even though court dissolved PPP, Chart Thai and Matchimathipataya. PAD claims Thaksin's proxy would still run govt.

2) PAD accepted AOT's demand to allow incoming flights to use Suvarnabhumi after Constitution Court dissolved PPP. First incoming flight expected within 24 hrs.

wait and see...