Chiang Mai Airport Beseiged But Open And Operational

photojourn

I've just come back from Chiang Mai airport and it is a sea of red shirts and BIB at the entrance to the airport. Cars and other vehicles entering the airport are being closely scrutinised by the pro-government supporters. I saw more than a handful of protesters armed with sticks, clubs, poles and pieces of wood.

Anyone heading to the airport be aware that they will have to pass through two lines of pro-government supporters. The traffic is fairly heavy as well.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PAD want to know where Somchai is landing, maybe Chiangmai, so they have hijacked the control tower in BKK.

Suvarnabhumi: Closed until further notice

airportanimated2.gifThe control tower at Suvarnabhumi airport has been taken over by PAD's protestors to ensure that all flights from and to this international airport are cancelled. They also want to monitor PM Somchai Wongsawat's flight path upon entering Thai airspace to trace where his plane will land this evening. It has been speculated that his flight will either land in Chiang Mai or U-tapao. The premier has been quoted as saying that he will disembark wherever his plane takes him.

Hundreds of thousands of passengers have been stranded at the airport. All flights have been cancelled as of 9.00 last night. Army Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda, in his capacity as chairman of the Situation Monitoring Committee, called a meeting of all heads of government departments, presidents of chambers of commerce,industry and banking -- as well as rectors of all universities -- in an unprecedented brainstorming session at the Army Headquarters beginning at 2.00 pm today "to find ways to put an end to the current situation."

Edited by uptheos

I've just come back from Chiang Mai airport and it is a sea of red shirts and BIB at the entrance to the airport. Cars and other vehicles entering the airport are being closely scrutinised by the pro-government supporters. I saw more than a handful of protesters armed with sticks, clubs, poles and pieces of wood.

Anyone heading to the airport be aware that they will have to pass through two lines of pro-government supporters. The traffic is fairly heavy as well.

The crowd was fairly good natured when I was there but given how many people are armed (in addition to the weapons mentioned above I saw catapults, flails made out of heavy duty cable and other stuff) it could easily get out of hand.

424896651_x4TVW-M.jpg

424896408_DsPuN-M.jpg

More pictures here.

other good news as the Thailand Tourism board has released a new promotional video

Video

Can this thread be moved to the main news clippings section. Or are the shirts the wrong colour :o

This is going to be a critical area and perhaps the seat of Government or Government meetings.

Besieged?! It's being PROTECTED from the same type of mob rule that's rife in Bangkok.

You are funny.

It was a joke, right?

If not, go there, unarmed, wearing Yellow. Just to observe. Take pictures and report back.

Umm in my luggage I have a few yellow and red shirts, only cos I enjoy those colours.

Given the current problems. Should I go out and buy some new shirts or just be careful where I go.

I am due in Bangkok tomorrow?

Sure this may sound like a sily question but I guess choice of colors can be important.

Thanks.

Besieged?! It's being PROTECTED from the same type of mob rule that's rife in Bangkok.

Well said, Winnie. My thoughts exactly....they are there to keep the airport open, not to close it. Only a PAD zombie couldn't tell the difference.

Protection is in the eye of the beholder. :o

The head Sheep and Leading Pinhead Against Democracy goon is spitting furiously. The AOT director has upset him and now Somchai is going to Chaing Mai and the goon squad cannot get there before him! Can somebody on the PAD stage not give him some tranquilisers, he is going to have a fit.

I wonder is ASTV will be showing the arrival of the ELECTED PM at Chaing Mai (Democratic Seat of Power in Thailand since Bangkok was over run) airport.

The head Sheep and Leading Pinhead Against Democracy goon is spitting furiously. The AOT director has upset him and now Somchai is going to Chaing Mai and the goon squad cannot get there before him! Can somebody on the PAD stage not give him some tranquilisers, he is going to have a fit.

I wonder is ASTV will be showing the arrival of the ELECTED PM at Chaing Mai (Democratic Seat of Power in Thailand since Bangkok was over run) airport.

The PM was not elected, GET IT RIGHT.

Edited by globalj

Umm in my luggage I have a few yellow and red shirts, only cos I enjoy those colours.

Given the current problems. Should I go out and buy some new shirts or just be careful where I go.

I am due in Bangkok tomorrow?

Nah, it doesn't really apply to foreigners.. I still wear red shirts on occasion.

Well said, Winnie. My thoughts exactly....they are there to keep the airport open, not to close it. Only a PAD zombie couldn't tell the difference.

Protection is in the eye of the beholder. :o

Well let's see. The 'beholder' in this case is the airport that's being protected, to insure it remains OPEN.

Not sure if any other viewpoint really applies, unless you're in favor of shutting down this airport as well?

Hand on your heart, do you really think they would try anything in Chiang Mai?

But you are ofcourse welcome to prove any point of them being peaceful by organizing the next party convention for the democrats in Chiang Mai...

The PM was not elected, GET IT RIGHT.

Or, to get it really really right:

During elections, the voters elect parliament.

Then parliament elects the PM.

If a PM steps down without dissolving parliament, they can elect another PM, like they did in this case. All of this is per the military drafted constitution.

'get it right' :o

In the urban center of Chiang Mai there IS considerable support for the Democrat Party, and possibly even PAD. It's definitely 'possible'. Not sure if it's 'likely' but at the very least it provides an opportunity for Red minded people to do something to show THEIR voice.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Can this thread be moved to the main news clippings section. Or are the shirts the wrong colour :o

This is going to be a critical area and perhaps the seat of Government or Government meetings.

lets try to keep it on the subject of the CM airport then, shall we? There are already numerous other threads where discussions of the govt are running, I don't see a need for yet another one.

In the urban center of Chiang Mai there IS considerable support for the Democrat Party, and possibly even PAD. It's definitely 'possible'. Not sure if it's 'likely' but at the very least it provides an opportunity for Red minded people to do something to show THEIR voice.

I think all centers of larger cities are pro Democrats/PAD as there are usually the better educated/more wealthy/business people who are usually supporter of PAD and Democrats.

But Chiang mai for sure is not a city in which the PAD want to have a showdown with the red ones.

I think all centers of larger cities are pro Democrats/PAD as there are usually the better educated/more wealthy/business people who are usually supporter of PAD and Democrats.

But Chiang mai for sure is not a city in which the PAD want to have a showdown with the red ones.

Outside Bangkok and the South, there are very few places where PAD has any real following.

The so called city centre middle class perceive they are better educated, but knowing the Thai system it is all relative.

Funny that the peoples of this country have to do the job of the guys who are normally supposed to be in charge of the officials security: police (eventually army)

there has been talk all day about army leaning towards PAD, hence the need to divert PM to chiangmai, where support for the government is strong. this is to avoid the possible chance of military detaining the PM.

the press conference held by Anupong confrms that there is some grounds for this. suggesting the government dissolve parliament, without really being able to assure PAD will accept result of new election. neutral? I dont think so

the people have spoken, and made their choice.

the army refuses to act when it is required to, but pressures the government.

The crowd was fairly good natured when I was there but given how many people are armed (in addition to the weapons mentioned above I saw catapults, flails made out of heavy duty cable and other stuff) it could easily get out of hand.

424896651_x4TVW-M.jpg

LOL, this is a small town indeed, the guy on the bike is the local travelling newsagent! - a very nice guy. Great pics greeny!

Edited by SomNamNah