Do You Support Another Military Coup?

Ulysses G.

Should the military take over again?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everyone knows that the Army support the PAD so they refuse to prevent them from actions such as blocking main roads and taking over the airport, but Thaksin's boys feel that they are the legal government and keep winning elections, but get forced out of power illegally and they are sick of it.

Neither side is going to back down and the only person who could stop it seems to have taken sides as well.

Another coup is going to make Thailand look silly as heck, but it could save a little bit of the tourist season and prevent a civil war for the time being.

Is another coup worth it?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't support a coup, but I think it would be better if the army forces the government to resign.

Considering that walking in with guns and forcing the signature is nothing different from a coup I voted with yes.

Another coup is not the answer and will achieve nothing good for Thailand.

The solution is for the military to support the majority of the people and help the Government, restore order.

If not then the merry-go-round will continue. The difference being that next time it might be red shirts, or blue, shirts or polka dotted shirts holding the country to ransom.

another coup in 2 years - that wouldn't be nice for tourism as well, even if the coup was just signing by the government it's resignation.

any other force other than the ballot box is against the democratic principle.

I would imagine human rights organisations, as well as some governments, urging tourists to boycott travelling to thailand

It is clear that the Thai people can't handle democracy and these idiots in their yellow shirts have crippled this country maybe for many years to come. However, the ineptitude of the army doesn't offer much of a solution. I see Thailand only going downhill from here as it's formerly poorer neighbours get richer and leave it in the dust.

The population is easily led fy a few ringleaders who want the rich poor divide to remain big.

A coup wouldn't help.

While a coup is not the best option, it does seem that is the only way to resolve the current crisis, and prevent the coalition government from rewriting the constitution to cover up their illegal actions (and those of their master in exile).

As we saw with the last coup, things were pretty peaceful once the military took charge. It wasn't until Thaksin's proxy government took power that things started to deteriorate.

If the military does step in and take over again, I suspect that things will settle down. Various court cases will continue. Certain political parties will be disbanded, new ones will spring up and down the road, another set of elections.

How those elections are run will decide if we are going to end up in the same boat as we are now, or if the country will settle down and start moving forward.

The Military have no choice but to coup.

Prime Minister is not resigning & the PAD are not leaving the airports.

How long can Thailand afford to sit and wait?

From what I see on TV this morning the Thais don't even act like anything is going on.

Normal TV programming with girly talk and beauty cosmetics shows.

Tv censorship and heads in the sand.

From what I see on TV this morning the Thais don't even act like anything is going on.

Normal TV programming with girly talk and beauty cosmetics shows.

Tv censorship and heads in the sand.

This is what depresses me the most. Most people don't realise how controlled these people lives are. The "have's" here control everything, and just hate that the poor might colse the gap.

Did I understood right:

Abhisit told that in the worst case, all Democrat MPs can resign, than the parliament isn't in constitutional condition anymore (too less MPs).

But does that automatic cause a house dissolution?

If it drives the crazies out of the airports, and they re-open, then I support it.

Would probably tear it to shreds suffering finial damage. But I have said many times I support a another coup, I want to highjack a tank and keep it in my garage.

Edit: many times

Edited by RakJungTorlae

If it drives the crazies out of the airports, and they re-open, then I support it.

Would probably tear it to shreds suffering finial damage. But I have said many times I support a another coup, I want to highjack a tank and keep it in my garage.

Edit: many times

Yes, the military is definitely a blunt instrument :o

The elite have nothing but feeling of disdain for people in the provinces. They still think that country people are nothing more than worthless water buffalos whose opinion and vote are worthless.

Funny, when the rice crisis was in its peak - who did they call on to bail them out so that they could have cheaper rice?

I might not be that clever but in a democracy, is it not the majority that rules and will be elected?

Sure I think that there are many reasons why the current government should step down but what did the Thai people vote? The majority did vote for them!

Even the General yesterday said that a coup will hurt more than it will help...

Last time you could see all the people in the road wanting Thaksin to get out, the coup was welcomed by most people! Now a few thousand people want the elected government to leave, why should they?

I think that the current government is doing the right thing and it might hurt but Thailand is growing up. I hope that a trigger happy general doesn't become ambitious and sieze the power. That would only bring Thailand down...

Question: Why did the PAD state that a new election will not help? (They know that they can not win because the majority of the country still support PPP).

Why is PAD hiding behind HRH and shoot at PPP(as shown on TV)? This used to be a non violent thing, it is getting worse now. I guess PAD is scared what will happen when Thaksin returns...

I wish that all this will be over soon...

I have got a hint from some influential person that there might be a military coup in the makings very soon.

This could be the scenario, I am told:

1. Army chief will be sacked/removed very soon, maybe today or tomorrow

2. State of emergency

3. New army chief instigates a military coup. PAD will be removed.

4. Somchai and cabinet removed/gone and banned from elections

5. New election very soon

I have got a hint from some influential person that there might be a military coup in the makings very soon.

This could be the scenario, I am told:

1. Army chief will be sacked/removed very soon, maybe today or tomorrow

2. State of emergency

3. New army chief instigates a military coup. PAD will be removed.

4. Somchai and cabinet removed/gone and banned from elections

yes I read the Airplane Army (how is the english word??) are told to spoke about a coup yesterday in the night (read somewhere).

If you move point 4 to point 3, PAD walks home and does not need to be removed.

Why do people still insist the current government was elected by a majority? Sure, the PPP got more votes than the other parties but that is because they BOUGHT the votes in Isaan! Until this country finds a way to block vote buying, new elections are not the solution -- the results will be the same.

Maybe a coup and another period of military rule will give the country time to insure truly free elections.

It is no secret that Thaksin's party will keep winning any legit elections.

As long as the Army is going to sieze power from the legal government again anyway, why not just keep it? That would be better than starting this same silly cycle over and over again.

Why do people still insist the current government was elected by a majority? Sure, the PPP got more votes than the other parties but that is because they BOUGHT the votes in Isaan! Until this country finds a way to block vote buying, new elections are not the solution -- the results will be the same.

Maybe a coup and another period of military rule will give the country time to insure truly free elections.

Do you try to tell me that the PAD did not try to buy votes? Sure they did, they offered my GF 300B to vote for them!

The people have to stop wanting money and then it might be a fair election here... Its all about money!

Both parties buy votes, but it is pretty well known that Thaksin's people would win any fair election.

The PAD want to get rid of the Democratic vote for this very reason and are quite vocal about their intention to do so.

Do you try to tell me that the PAD did not try to buy votes? Sure they did, they offered my GF 300B to vote for them!

The people have to stop wanting money and then it might be a fair election here... Its all about money!

:o:D :D

You made my way......

What fools the PAD are....offering money for the vote even they aren't a Party and can't be voted for :D :D :(

To add: most probably another paid poster who did not read his script carefully :D

Edited by h90

As we saw with the last coup, things were pretty peaceful once the military took charge. It wasn't until Thaksin's proxy government took power that things started to deteriorate.

In other words, things were peaceful once the military took charge and the situation only started to deteriorate once the system was returned to civilians. If you can just have a normal democracy while keeping the civilians out of the picture---- then there'd be no need for coups.

Am I missing something somewhere?, my understanding is the PAD are not an actual polictical party...more a demonstration group?

I don't support a coup, but I think it would be better if the army forces the government to resign.

Considering that walking in with guns and forcing the signature is nothing different from a coup I voted with yes.

That is a coup. Don't you mean you don't support a bloody coup ?

The army involved in politics!! that's not democracy. The army is not doing it's job and the generals should be charged with treason, simple.

:o:D:D

You made my way......

What fools the PAD are....offering money for the vote even they aren't a Party and can't be voted for :D:D:(

To add: most probably another paid poster who did not read his script carefully :D

Stop being a child - we all know what he meant.

As UG said; the Dems and MRT all buy votes - welcome to Thai politics. In any election by the masses MRT wins easily, even when the army change the constituation to stop him (and protect themselves from their illegal actions), ban his rallies and allow Dem / Pad rallies, control MRT areas through martial law, etc, etc. Don't forget how onesided the run up to the last election was, and MRT still ended up in power.

I voted no.

1) The army have no part in politics. Full stop. No, Thailand isn't a special case, it just says this as an attempt to hold back democracy. (When I say it, I mean certain currupt groups that don't want democracy to come because they won't hold the purse-strings any longer).

2) Have you not noticed a cycle? Should it be repeated yet again?

Anyways, my feeling is that things are likely to change big time from the 5th, for the worse. Burma here we come.

:o:D:D

You made my way......

What fools the PAD are....offering money for the vote even they aren't a Party and can't be voted for :D:D:(

Stop being a child - we all know what he meant.

As UG said; the Dems and MRT all buy votes - welcome to Thai politics. In any election by the masses MRT wins easily, even when the army change the constituation to stop him (and protect themselves from their illegal actions), ban his rallies and allow Dem / Pad rallies, control MRT areas through martial law, etc, etc. Don't forget how onesided the run up to the last election was, and MRT still ended up in power.

I voted no.

1) The army have no part in politics. Full stop. No, Thailand isn't a special case, it just says this as an attempt to hold back democracy. (When I say it, I mean certain currupt groups that don't want democracy to come because they won't hold the purse-strings any longer).

2) Have you not noticed a cycle? Should it be repeated yet again?

Anyways, my feeling is that things are likely to change big time from the 5th, for the worse. Burma here we come.

There are many reasons to oppose a coup- but one of the major ones, to my way of thinking anyway, is that when bloodless coups happen frequently enough they become part of the political culture of a country. The problem with that is that there are absolutely NO guarantees that evey coup will be unopposed- as they frequently have been in Thailand- and if they are opposed- then forget the notion of a 'bloodless coup'- blood will run. And lots of it. History shows us that. Because coups are by their very illegal nature, beyond the reach of any kind of checks and balances.

NOTHING can stop an army from mowing down its opposition if it chooses- the courts, the police, even the highest institutions of the land, exist at its pleasure. It need answer to no one.

AND?OR you get a guy like Suchinda- or much much worse- the population doesn't get much voice on who will control them until normalcy is restored- if it ever is.

Do you support another military coup?

Thai answer before the coup:

"Are the other people around supporting it? If yes, then I support. If no, then I don't support."

Thai answer after successful coup:

"Yes, I support it! It's time to stop corrupt government! Hooray, we won!"

Thai answer after failed coup:

"It's a good thing they failed, it would have been bad because violence. Hooray, we won!"

:o

Edited by junkofdavid2