State Of Emergency Declared

george

They have not worked for months ? And receiving money from PAD to offset their loss of income but only if they protest ? Sounds like they have a new job to me. ....... and are BEING PAID TO PROTEST ................ you protest ... you get paid ...... poster should open their eyes and take a look at reality.

Of course they have worked. This is biggest fallacy among many the anti PAD people make. It is not the same protesters all the time. The thousands of protesters there at any particular moment in time are coming from a pool of hundreds of thousands in Bangkok that have regularly attend the protests over the past months. They are not being paid. They are going to work, university, etc just like everyone else, and are going to the protests in their spare time. The ones currently at the airport are the ones that are able to take a few days off at work.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the government was NOT democratically elected therefore PPP will get dissolved if they can't change the laws.

the PPP just got 1/3 of the votes and most of the coalition partner promised before the election that they would never make a coalition with PPP.

Sorry to busy your fantasy land bubble, but the government WAS democratically elected.

And if you come up with the bribes that the PPP supposedly gave to voters, how do you answer to the fact that the PAD is paying every demonstrator at the airport? Isn't that bribing too? Face it, both sides pay for votes and support.

Beg to differ mate, calling Thailand a Democracy is like calling Obama President, almost there but not quite yet... Siam is at present an Emergency Democracy at best

..still awaiting ratifikashun apparently :D

Oh he is there alright every time he speaks the stock market rallies 200+ :o

The Somchai Government was democratically elected. If PAD thinks the PPP bought votes their only crime was to buy more votes than PAD.

/.../

If the supporters of PAD want to form the next government perhaps they should go away and talk to the people who didn't vote them and try and find policies that will get them elected. This is what you do in a democracy.

When posters have this love level of understanding it's really proving the point that democracy will never, truly, work...and that people will rant about things they have no clue about. Heck, they are even prepared to go to war/fight over their allusions of reality.

It is all well and good to adopt an elitist position avowing disdain for the ignorant, but generally one earns that through ones superior intellect or caustic wit. I fear you are far from attaining that mantle.

Sorry to busy your fantasy land bubble, but the government WAS democratically elected.

I don't agree with you. The present government engaged in electoral fraud, their last party was dissolved for it and the present party is facing dissolution once again. If you cheat in elections you do not have a democratic mandate, nor should you be involved in politics. That's why the dissolution of parties was introduced.

Neither do I, they are facing dissolution so why the h3ll are they still in power? :o

Not sure about anybody else, im sitting in my home town Trang feeling for everyone that is effected by all this, but at the end of the day support the pad or the opposition this is totally distroying thailand and everyone involved in it and i cant see why something is not being done to kurb the crap that is happening at the airports, this is carring a major down side to all in thailand that depend on western support in one way or another. Get the airports back up and running b 4 all is lost.

Heres looking at BKK

Mike

The blustering of the gutless b*stards posting above about having "no tolerance", "get what they deserve", etc. etc. is nauseating.

When a political view becomes completely disenfranchised, whatever that view, it takes to the streets. The only one to blame for the resulting chaos is a government of bumbling self-interest in a Texas-style "no negotiation" approach to governance.

The stubborn brand of democracy that goes "once I got the votes, the rest of you are f*cked" isn't democracy at all (Hitler was democratically elected and nobody puts him in the democracy hall of fame). The essence of democracy is protection of the minority view, not the suppression of it.

Any American who demonstrated for racial equality, or against the vietnam war, or in support of Gay marriage, knows that when a "democratic" government starts being the government of the governors, and not of the people, the streets become the ballot box.

So we see it play out here, as it has in a hundred tyrannies in a hundred places before.

"Then don't make claims you can't prove simple as that"

wow. I honestly find it hard to believe people don't know the PAD are paying people to go. Do you talk to ANY Thai people at all? Do you ever leave the comfort of these forums?

They ain't giving out receipts dude, but they sure as hel_l are giving out money. Anyone who think otherwise is hopelessly naive

If this was LAX or JFK in the US, there would be non-stop broadcasts of the scene on the ground. Can someone more familiar with Thai media help me to understand why there is no live coverage of the scene at the airports and why the event is getting less air time than the evening's lakorns?

Because it wont be good for ratings mate.

There is a soap on the other channel.

Somchai live on Channel 3.

Did any of our fluent Thai speakers watch this?

What did he say?

Try www.astv-tv.com

Click on TOC and you will receive live coverage with English translation/commentary.

Its one sided but at least its mainly in English.

The ones currently at the airport are the ones that are able to take a few days off at work.

and who are totally insane.

Anybody interested in the theory of anarchy should be researching thailand at this point in time. Proof if needed that anarchy just does not work.

These leaders of the PAD clearly show no respect to the nation of thailand. They are quite happy for its image to go to the dogs, and for their actions to cost the nation billions of dollars. The cost to the country of their incursion into the main airport is vast. They really should be got and tried for high treason.

I am not trying to incite any kind of arguement > this is a general & simple question:

From what I can gather,

5% of the people in Thialand have 95% of the wealth, thus 95% of the "power".....

The policy of Thaksins crowd generally is not conducive to the preferences of that 5% of people......

However, 95% of the people do support Thaksins crowd > and hence they keep getting electec, by popular vote....

BUT > the 5% of wealthy people are not happy with that result, so they keep on trying to get "new" gouvernment....

........if I am remotely correct, I have porobably over hugely simplified it...... but is that the general idea..... (percentages of weath and electorate are purely guessed, obvisouly).....

If this is so, it sounds very much like an Irish Referendum.......

As someone who knows VERY LITTLE (read as nothing) about Thai politics, it appears from the outside that the so called PAD are just pursuing their own agenda, under a weak fascade of patriotism > and are very much in the minority..... i.e. representing their own agenda, not the "interests" of their country men....... right or wrong as this may be, that is the message that is getting through to me...... I don't really have an opinion on who is right or wrong, I am literally just voicing what I interpret the "message" to mean...... and irrespective of their motives, brigning a country to its knees in the way that they are is not the act of a patriot - in my humble opinion..... protests outside gouvernement buildings and that sort of thing is fair ga,e, but sure this is a threat to Thailands national security...... notwithstanding the few tourists (including me) who will be inconvenienced..... it is the business critical activites and the status of Bkk as a stable financial hub for SE Asia........

seconded. anyone supporting these current acts is brain dead. this country will move forward when the leaders are patriotic not in it for the money ONLY. yes there will always be corruption and dishonesty here but get it in perspective. think thai not western. alllow some corruption but work on it. work on a thai style democracy but give it time. get rid of that 5%

That said;

PAD has gone too far. Time to announce a peaceful path to clean government and ask the people to join them now.

The problem is -- and has been from the beginning -- that the PAD leaders do not have a unified plan what to do after the current government is toppled. So far all they came up with were "ideas" and "suggestions". Therefore I just cannot see how anybody can support them still at this point in time, where they have chosen blind violence and terrorism to further their goals.

Goals, I might mention, sounded not unagreeable in the very beginning of their activism, and they had some good results with a strategy of peaceful gatherings.

But now the party is over, they have overplayed their hand and it is time to pay up.

Even if the PAD will lose this battle, the problem stays with every day of the puppet government in place. And the unrest will go on. That's a fact.

What annoys me most, that the government did not arrest Mr. Thaksin when filing his divorce at the Hongkong embassy! This act alone should tell everyone what is going on in Thailand!

Thailand unite! Stop this self destruction!

Dude, go back to your local bar and develop all theses great thoughts that you heve with your beer drinking buddies.

PM declares state of emergency on airports

CHIANG MAI: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat declared state of emergency at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airports which are under siege of the anti-government protesters.

Somchai said the imposing of the emergency state will be on temporary basis.

City police bureau will be in charge of enforcing the decree at Don Muang Airport under supervision of Interior Minister Pol Gen Kowit Wattana.

The Royal Navy and the First Region Police Bureau will be in charge of the jobs at Suvarnabhurmi Airport, Somchai said.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

The blustering of the gutless b*stards posting above about having "no tolerance", "get what they deserve", etc. etc. is nauseating.

When a political view becomes completely disenfranchised, whatever that view, it takes to the streets. The only one to blame for the resulting chaos is a government of bumbling self-interest in a Texas-style "no negotiation" approach to governance.

The stubborn brand of democracy that goes "once I got the votes, the rest of you are f*cked" isn't democracy at all (Hitler was democratically elected and nobody puts him in the democracy hall of fame). The essence of democracy is protection of the minority view, not the suppression of it.

Any American who demonstrated for racial equality, or against the vietnam war, or in support of Gay marriage, knows that when a "democratic" government starts being the government of the governors, and not of the people, the streets become the ballot box.

So we see it play out here, as it has in a hundred tyrannies in a hundred places before.

Well put! I'll add;

"Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

Thaksin and his minions are not at all about helping Thai people, only themselves. They throw scarps from their feast table to the staving and the starving are grateful. It's sad.

Edited by ding

"Then don't make claims you can't prove simple as that"

wow. I honestly find it hard to believe people don't know the PAD are paying people to go. Do you talk to ANY Thai people at all? Do you ever leave the comfort of these forums?

They ain't giving out receipts dude, but they sure as hel_l are giving out money. Anyone who think otherwise is hopelessly naive

When you have no evidence you resort to baseless attacks of calling me naive.

Many of the people that go to the PAD protests go in their spare time, it's not the same people all the time. I know one old man that goes there every other day, when he's not doing something else like going to the dentist. No one is paying him to go.

So I don't believe you and ask for evidence. You can't give me evidence and call me stupid for not believing everything coming out of your mouth.

and why on earth the parliament building is NOT under the state of emergency? why don't they flush the entire unlawful places seized by the PAD terrorists?

I'm not 100% sure on this however I think the PAD lawyer overturned a decision to evict them, so they're allowed to be there legally. Useless now there is a State of Emergency.

Ed: Looks like the State of Emergency is only at the airports so I guess they can stay at the government house.

The problem is -- and has been from the beginning -- that the PAD leaders do not have a unified plan what to do after the current government is toppled.

Indeed, lots of complaining and finger pointing, no suggestions on how to fix anything.

Edited by hungryhippo

The Royal Navy and the First Region Police Bureau will be in charge of the jobs at Suvarnabhurmi Airport, Somchai said.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

I noticed the message also; the question is: was the Royal Navy ever involved in such an -uproar- operation before ? :o

LaoPo

Why was the PAD allowed to occupy Government House?

Why was the PAD allowed to take over Bangkok's main airport?

Why were the Thaksins allowed to leave Thailand?

Why did the PPP foolishly appoint Thaksin's brother-in-law when it was obvious this would prolong the problems?

Why are the army not working on behalf of the government?

Why does there appear to be a complete and utter lack of responsibility and accountability on the part of every single person in a position of responsibility?

Kids with toys ... every single one of them.

CHIANG MAI: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat declared state of emergency at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airports which are under siege of the anti-government protesters.

Somchai said the imposing of the emergency state will be on temporary basis.

City police bureau will be in charge of enforcing the decree at Don Muang Airport under supervision of Interior Minister Pol Gen Kowit Wattana.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Thats that idiot BlancmangeApong out of the loop that. Let the Navy in, they have seen more of the world and are thus likely to be far superior in intellect than the Army.

I am not sure to believe or not whether PAD/UDD pay money to get support. My neighbour goes to PAD rally every night. She is quite well off (drive a BMW 5 series), so I guess she won't be take the few hundreds, which is not enough to pay for her fuel.

I heard a lot of people of have a friend of a friend to get paid. I usually discount that.

What I find unbelievable, is that, why has it not been captured on tape. Not even once. Somebody could just secretly film it on their mobile phone. Also, some hornest people could also own up that they are paid, or reports to the police that they are paid or an attempt have been made to pay them.

Unlike vote buying. Takers dare not own up because the broke the law, and could be jail. For taking PAD/UDD money, I am sure, out of the thousands takers, there must be at least half a dozen who would own up to the police, or have caught something on tape during the process.

Please ask your self this question. If it is so wide spread (rounding up people in market, etc), why no one even attemp to make a screte recoding. Even just some voice recoding. It is not so hard. In Thailand, we manage to capture illegal abortion, drug sales, child prositution, and even vote buying. But nothing on PAD/UDD paying supporters.

I am not saying that anyone is lying. I just find it hard to believe that no concrete evidence emerged.

I am neutral. Just show me a video or voice clip.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

I noticed the message also; the question is: was the Royal Navy ever involved in such an -uproar- operation before ? :o

LaoPo

There has recently been a question over whether the navy was with the army and air force. Also if you go back to the 60's and Thai history it is possible to find old links, and not particulalrly good ones between these two. I guess by putting Kowit in charge and naming two specific police offciers close to Thaksin and mentioning the navy the government are trying to only involve those they can actually definitely rely on.

Goodbye Anarchy, welcome back Democracy.

Chalerm involved. What a message. They could have chosen someone less linked to mayhem.

I guess we just wait to see what happens

Yes with Chalerm reported on October 6th to be drunkenly be demanding police crush the PAD rally

and next day carnage int he streets it's not a good sign. Tonight will be a long night.

One point they say state of emergency for the two airports,

but no reporting of what's happening.... hmmm

why can't you report when not AT either airport.

Oh no we can have anyone telling us how bad it is till it's ALL DONE. Another bad sign.

Reporters will be carried off and sequestered around the airport,

no bad press reports of the carnage to be allowed.

Pretty much all stinks, and this might not be lost on the generals....

and why on earth the parliament building is NOT under the state of emergency? why don't they flush the entire unlawful places seized by the PAD terrorists?

quick answer. slowly slowly catchee monkey. get the police/ military to clear the airports first, which they may or may not do - see samark's last soe.

"So I don't believe you and ask for evidence"

And what form would this evidence take? Like I say they don't give out receipts. I'd give you witnesses, you'd say they are lying.

I suggest you get out more and the evidence will hit you between the eyes...

Bored of this conversation now. Have no interest in proving what I (and most people) know to be fact. Next you'll want me to prove the sky is blue. Byeeee

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat announced the decision at a TV address at 9 pm. But military sources were quick to observe why the Army was left out of the scheme, noting that the Air Force and Navy had no expertise, resources and equipment to deal with the situations at the two airports.

That idiot Somchai is some leader. Declares an SOE and sends in troops with no resources, know how, or equipment.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/27/hea...es_30089575.php

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat announced the decision at a TV address at 9 pm. But military sources were quick to observe why the Army was left out of the scheme, noting that the Air Force and Navy had no expertise, resources and equipment to deal with the situations at the two airports.

That idiot Somchai is some leader. Declares an SOE and sends in troops with no resources, know how, or equipment.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/27/hea...es_30089575.php

"...the Air Force and Navy had no expertise, resources and equipment to deal with the situations at the two airports"

This should work out well.