State Of Emergency Declared

george

Presently, the PAD have said they will not leave, but will also not interfere with the airport's day to day operations. The Airport Authority has said they will keep the airport closed until all of the PAD leave. Nothing is ever black and white.

So PAD is just assisting the airport staff in the controlltower?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How do PAD supporters at sit-ins make a living?

How do they pay their mortgages and hire purchase on their motorbikes if they are sat around protesting day in day out?

Do sympathetic employers give them months off at a time? (wasn't one of the members here who was an employer amenable to that)

Or are they just all people who are otherwise unemployed.

I'm very selfish tonight.

I just want to be able to go home and see my family!!!

I'm fed up being stuck in Tokyo.

Did you think of catching a plane into penang (if that's possible) and taking the train in? I can't think of any other way of getting into the country right now, but something like that would probably of got you in quicker.

I've been researching this to get mom out. The quickest route I can find to Bangkok is to get to either KL or Singabore and take either a Tiger, Air Asia or Malaysia Airlines flight into Phuket. There are still plenty available. figured I'd drop that in. You can also transit in through Siem Reap, Phnom Penh or Samui (and no doubt other provincial locales), but these are less convenient and more expensive because of the monopolies and limited traffic.

Bus to Hadyai, van to Penang, then Air Asia to KL, 5 times a day for ~1500 THB.

Edited: Sorry you need it the other way around - if you can get her to KL, get her a ticket on Air Asia to Penang - cheap and plenty of available seats. From there she can get a van or bus to Hadyai, from where there are buses from 3 pm onwards every 15 min or so to Bangkok.

Flights to Phuket and from Phuket are mainly full. SIA had some business class tickets available at stupid prices. Seems most try to escape via SG, so KL might be a better choice no matter how inconvenient still.

Why would u fly kl to penang ( 3 hour drive) and then overland to Hat yai ( Penang - Hat Yai 3 hours) just jump on the twice daily train.

Fly kl to phuket via air asia, ( am sure not many flying in)

or silk air Singapore to Phuket.

or take the train from Sing/KL/Penang/Surat Thani/Bangkok

OR bus anywhere from anywhere in thailand and Malaysia

Guys ONLY BKK two airports are affected.

Just a question for the idiots on here defending the PAD, have any of you been affected by loss of earnings or had flights cancelled over the past three days?

if any of you say you have been affected this way then I say now you are liars

Loss of earnings; yes.

Flights couldn't be booked, plans changed; Yes.

Liar; no.

Screaming, angry, intolerant; no.

Making the best of it; yes.

Imported packages delayed; yes.

Really caring about your opinion of me; not hardly.

So with an attitude like this, why exactly are you living in Thailand, amongst Thai people, who are struggling to solve a huge rift that has been created by the ex PM

isn't the rift over vote-buying and was it not Thai people who actually sold themselves for a few Baht. Maybe exactly the same people, ironically, who now sit as human shields in the airport for pretty much the same amount and a few sandwiches thrown in.

come on, those Thais are not struggling now -- but they will, after they messed up their economy and public standing in the eye of the world for good. Lets see who will hand out their bowl of rice then.

Have you been paying any attention to current affairs over the last 2/3 years

I have, much longer than that BTW. This is why 'idealism' is duly replaced by 'cynicism'.

In the end it's all about the money, and this starts form the small guy selling his soul for a bowl of rice to the big players selling the whole country for their games. In the end it is totally exchangeable if their name might be Thaksin or Sondhi, they are all pure self-interest.

I am just curious how you have been able to keep the rose-tinted glasses on, must have needed some force to prevent them from being pulled off.

Sure, I understand that full well, and I don't argue the fact that one is better or worse than the other, all I want is to get my company working again (which has not been since PPP won [cheated]). I am however against the many Farang that have total disregard towards the safety of the Thai's demonstrating, both Red & Yellow, and who seem to be eagerly awaiting violence.

You must also know just as well as I what the real story is, the real truth underpinning the whole stand off. Also if I may be so bold, putting yourself into the mind set of Victor Meldrew will only end up (if not already) with you being a narrow minded old fool.

Edited by solent01

How do they pay their mortgages and hire purchase on their motorbikes if they are sat around protesting day in day out?

Do sympathetic employers give them months off at a time? (wasn't one of the members here who was an employer amenable to that)

Yeah, it's not like they get paid to demonstrate, right? Otherwise they could afford to sit there all day. :o

J, I suspect there is a large amount of family support for them.

Middle class with out a need for all family members to scrabble to support the whole.

And it explains a high percentage of grannies there. They weren't employed anyway.

This needs to end now. It is clear that the PAD will not leave, so the police must force them out immediately. Preferably without, but if needed, with force. It is simply no longer acceptable. There are tens of thousands of tourists who must go home to their job. If they can't return, they will possibly lose their jobs. Children can't go to school. Medical patients can't fly to get treatment.

This IS terrorism and the government/police/army need to act now.

LOL

You must watch a lot of American TV news!

This is NOT terrorism. It's civil disobedience. It is not from foreign actors but Thai citizens openly trying to oust a government which seems to be illegitimate. Let's not bring American hysteria to Thailand with us, alright?

It's too far and needs to be brought back, nuf said.

I agree, Nuff said -there's no need to accuse someone's comments as representative of an entire country-doesn't belong in this forum at all.

What would any European, Soviet or real developed country do? They'd quash the domestic terrorists! Snipers is how most country's deal with this sort of thing.

Domestic terrorists are worse because they know the ins and outs of the country. Someone should quash these terrorists and end this madness. Forcing an elected government into exile is unacceptable. I understand the check and checkmate game being played...someone needs to make a move, though.

Takeovers of airports and demands to topple an elected government (the majority accept) is terrorism and treason, not to mention references to use people as human shields at the airport, violence, etc. They whine when one of theirs gets shot (hello? there's nothing wrong with killing terrorists). It's sad the man at the helm has so many powerful enemies and I'm starting to realize the real problem may not be the elected at all.

If everyone, regardless of how much power they had, had respect for elections and rule of law (and Thailand wasn't so stinking corrupt from tiptop to dirt bottom), they could effectively accuse and prosecute any irregular activity including the very top like real developed country's do (if they have a complaint, use the process)! Use the laws set by the forefathers...oops! Thailand's constitution is months old! I don't see an and to this and subsequent coups funded by powerful pivotal silent players, it's same same, different day. Read the history...the non elected enjoy toppling the elected when the mood hits.

They should put down unacceptable activity. This usually involves snipers and a warning to get out. It's a security threat and treason. I don't see why whoever is elected shouldn't rent some blackwater sniper fellows once they're in office to stop this overthrowing and undermining the government (what would your country do?)

Why doesn't Cambodia take advantage of this situation and steal Thailand while they're at it? Seems they've done a good enough job and crippling themselves..ineffective government, unelected terrorist mobs....someone needs to enforce rule of law!

Edited by HYENA

They are mainly women.....many housewife.

My staff is frequently there, but not many time during office hours. They would go anyway with or without my agreement (southerners from pretty wealthy parents)

Just a question for the idiots on here defending the PAD, have any of you been affected by loss of earnings or had flights cancelled over the past three days?

Loss of earnings; yes.

Liar; no.

well I hope you enjoy your life with a big footprint in your back as I am sure thats how you live your life. personally I call a spade a spade and the PAD are criminals with no more right to peaceful removal from the airports. Lets hope your business goes down the pan while you defend these criminals, in fact tell us the name of your business so I can sure to never use it

Here's one that just came out perhaps 20 minutes ago:

PM Hands down Order to Employ Whatever It Takes to Disperse PAD

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Suchart Muenkaew says he's received an order from PM Somchai Wongsawat to employ any means it takes to disperse the People's Alliance for Democracy from Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports.

Pol Lt General Suchart reveals PM Somchai has ordered him to disperse the PAD protesters as soon as possible. But he added that the premier has stressed that the police must ensure no violence breaks out. The Metropolitan police commander says the police will attempt to control the protesters via the most gentle means. Only if those means failed to produce results, they will step up the degree of the dispersal.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010874

There was an earlier release claiming that they would start at 15:00. That's what time it is now, let's see...

Yeah, it's not like they get paid to demonstrate, right? Otherwise they could afford to sit there all day. :D

Yeah, come sit here all day, and if a grenade lands near, you'll get a bonus.....

:o

Loss of earnings; yes.

Liar; no.

well I hope you enjoy your life with a big footprint in your back as I am sure thats how you live your life. personally I call a spade a spade and the PAD are criminals with no more right to peaceful removal from the airports. Lets hope your business goes down the pan while you defend these criminals, in fact tell us the name of your business so I can sure to never use it

I was due to fly to London Thursday morning with my family, I do not support the PAD but I deffinitely get where they are coming from. As they are not a political party and thereofre do not buy votes but merely compensate protesters for hours lost working, therefore you cannot compare them to the PPP in this way who deffinitely do buy votes.

Loss of earnings; yes.

Liar; no.

Werbs you were virulently anti-PAD before this... and offensive on top of it.

but please ... you are getting personal again. If you care to post your personal details about YOUR business then feel free. Attacking others though is just not allowed :o

Loss of earnings; yes.

Liar; no.

Maybe you should try using this siutation as a life experience, try to make the best of a bad situation is a vital asset anyone must have in life. Complaining about things you have no control over is fruitless and an immature way to act.

Edited by bravingbangkok

why is everything so quiet? same images portrayed on the tv. same news. same bullshit. when is some action, whatever it may be happens? today? tomorrow? next week? anyone with some fresh news?

The last State of Emergency was issued Sept. 2. It lasted xx days xx hours and xx minutes and achieved: Nothing.

isn't a cool government, using such a SoE Not for a violent crackdown.

the achievment of the last SoE. team red did go home and keep civil.

team yellow thugs played disobey -something won?, no.

this is PAD final or last battle/war # 24 and claimed victory #57 or even higher numbers. the claimed victory so often.

and what have they achieved: Nothing

any idea what will be next? must be something bigger, or? or maybe the need some more violence in the street, such things would only help the PAD.

isn't that what you mean with achieved: Nothing. = the absence of violence.

Loss of earnings; yes.

Liar; no.

Lost flight no, lost income, try ever since PPP took over, no government contracts have been released, my company has lost a few Million (well, a bit more than just a few really :o ), but not just my company, none of my compitition are working either, nothing is happening at all. At least when the last coup was in place, contracts were still being released.

Edited by solent01

:o about what I was expecting ... sorry that sucks! But if the PAD can get rid of the vestiges of Thaksin from Thai politics then it is worth it overall!

Is it worth ruining the economy over 1 man? The last nation that tried this is the United States, ruining the economy over 1 man (bin Laden). It failed.

No it's not, and the sooner this 1 man is neutralised permanently which will ensure a lot less interferience in the running of the country the sooner it can start getting back to somewhere near to normal.

They are mainly women.....many housewife.

My staff is frequently there, but not many time during office hours. They would go anyway with or without my agreement (southerners from pretty wealthy parents)

Precisely; it's class warfare and deep seated prejudice at work right here. Same thing happened in the US with our election. Everyone feared a black president but it turns out the majority of Ameircans aren't wealthy, just like Thai. They' didn't realize most of the middle class sympathize with the poor, as well...just like Thailand. I'd say the Thais protesting are upper middle class since most have cars and businesses. If you did a chart looking at the median income, the middle class in Thailand is lower than you'd think. Maybe they're middle class by western or Asian standards but I bet the Isaan people would say they're rich.

The ones sitting around the airport are mostly Isaan stooges who are paid a few hunded baht and the promise of some beer.

The Nation, Fri, November 28, 2008 : Last updated 15:01 hours

ASK THE EDITOR

What will happen today?

By Tulsathit Taptim

A cheeky analysis of the current three-pronged showdown between the PAD, government and Army.

The danger of writing the following is that the whole piece can look very silly after two hours. Thailand's political situation is not dictated by just one or two men, and as I'm typing this (Friday, 11 am), Coup rumours are still coming from left, right and centre. The only thing we know is the three key players _ the People's Alliance for Democracy, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat and Army chief Anupong Paochinda _ are playing the cards as they come at them and none of trio can predict what's going to happen next.

The PAD has said "All in". The political movement was dealt a bad hand (decreasing support, conflicts with former allies, nightly ambushes and so on) but all the chips had gone into the betting pot to provoke Anupong and Somchai into a final winner-takes-all showdown.

Meanwhile, Anupong "checked" (deciding not to bet now but with the option to call or raise later). He basically chose to sit on the fence for just a moment, hence the polite requests for Somchai to dissolve the House and the PAD to end its protests.

Somchai "called" the PAD's bluff. I will never fold, the prime minister told a nationwide audience in a TV address Wednesday night. Why should I? I'm holding a very good hand. Mine is a government elected by the people and for the people.

Good hand, yes, best one, no. And Somchai, while convinced that the PAD was holding weak cards, cannot be sure that Anupong was laughing inside and ready to pounce. This is why the prime minister only "called" (declaring a state of emergency) but did not "raise" (it was a very half-hearted, unusual state of emergency featuring peace negotiators and virtually leaving the Army out of the crucial operation).

Well, as a very poor amateurish poker player, that's as close as I can get to explaining the current situation. It appears to have come down to who blinks first between Somchai and Anupong, after a suicidal PAD threw in all its stakes and thus turned what should have been a normal round into one that will decide who goes home with all the money or empty-handed.

With the Suvarnabhumi Airport far more important than Government House and having to be reopened as soon as possible, pressure is on Somchai and Anupong and it's interesting to see who will be the next guy to say "All in".

That, as far as Somchai is concerned, means a crackdown.

As for Anupong, it means the thing he has repeatedly said with his poker face that he would never do.

Unquote

The fact that Somchai has decided to stay put in Chang Mai suggests yet again he is out of his depth and anticipates something hapeneing that is not in his / the governments favour.

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Here's one that just came out perhaps 20 minutes ago:

PM Hands down Order to Employ Whatever It Takes to Disperse PAD

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Suchart Muenkaew says he's received an order from PM Somchai Wongsawat to employ any means it takes to disperse the People's Alliance for Democracy from Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports.

Pol Lt General Suchart reveals PM Somchai has ordered him to disperse the PAD protesters as soon as possible. But he added that the premier has stressed that the police must ensure no violence breaks out. The Metropolitan police commander says the police will attempt to control the protesters via the most gentle means. Only if those means failed to produce results, they will step up the degree of the dispersal.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010874

There was an earlier release claiming that they would start at 15:00. That's what time it is now, let's see...

any means but no violence.

Suchart fails to clear them out: he is wrong as he got the order "any means"

He clears them out, some protesters got harmed: Suchart is wrong because he got the order "no violence"

What a non sense.....

The Nation, Fri, November 28, 2008 : Last updated 15:01 hours

ASK THE EDITOR

What will happen today?

By Tulsathit Taptim

A cheeky analysis of the current three-pronged showdown between the PAD, government and Army.

The danger of writing the following is that the whole piece can look very silly after two hours. Thailand's political situation is not dictated by just one or two men, and as I'm typing this (Friday, 11 am), Coup rumours are still coming from left, right and centre. The only thing we know is the three key players _ the People's Alliance for Democracy, Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat and Army chief Anupong Paochinda _ are playing the cards as they come at them and none of trio can predict what's going to happen next.

The PAD has said "All in". The political movement was dealt a bad hand (decreasing support, conflicts with former allies, nightly ambushes and so on) but all the chips had gone into the betting pot to provoke Anupong and Somchai into a final winner-takes-all showdown.

Meanwhile, Anupong "checked" (deciding not to bet now but with the option to call or raise later). He basically chose to sit on the fence for just a moment, hence the polite requests for Somchai to dissolve the House and the PAD to end its protests.

Somchai "called" the PAD's bluff. I will never fold, the prime minister told a nationwide audience in a TV address Wednesday night. Why should I? I'm holding a very good hand. Mine is a government elected by the people and for the people.

Good hand, yes, best one, no. And Somchai, while convinced that the PAD was holding weak cards, cannot be sure that Anupong was laughing inside and ready to pounce. This is why the prime minister only "called" (declaring a state of emergency) but did not "raise" (it was a very half-hearted, unusual state of emergency featuring peace negotiators and virtually leaving the Army out of the crucial operation).

Well, as a very poor amateurish poker player, that's as close as I can get to explaining the current situation. It appears to have come down to who blinks first between Somchai and Anupong, after a suicidal PAD threw in all its stakes and thus turned what should have been a normal round into one that will decide who goes home with all the money or empty-handed.

With the Suvarnabhumi Airport far more important than Government House and having to be reopened as soon as possible, pressure is on Somchai and Anupong and it's interesting to see who will be the next guy to say "All in".

That, as far as Somchai is concerned, means a crackdown.

As for Anupong, it means the thing he has repeatedly said with his poker face that he would never do.

marshbags :o

I thought this was an excellent article and a great piece of journalism.

Tropo

If hoping for a peaceful outcome, and not holding ill feeling towards either side, regardless of what colour shirt they are wearing, or what they believe in, what they have done or may do. If not wanting to see more violence, Thai's attacking each other, injuring and killing each other, is bitching, then yes, I am bitching.

This is the attitude I am referring to within this thread however, and frankly, it sucks.

Taking over an international airport and closing it down is not a "peaceful protest". It's not even a protest.

I don't care how many PAD "protestors" are hurt or killed. They know the risks they are taking by doing what they are doing. In my world if you play with fire you'll get burned, and they are knowingly playing with fire.

They must be taken out asap.

Ok, it wasn't my post you were referring to, however I do agree that any PAD protestor willing to use another person as a human shield is as good as "terrorist scum"...and that's coming from a non-American. Surprised?
Me too! Whatever it takes to extract those fools from the airport is fine by me. It should have happened on Tuesday evening.
Why should we have sympathy for fools who put themselves in harm's way? If it takes a few deaths to get the airport running again, then so be it.
It's not my plan and whatever happens will happen irrespective of my own opinion. If people want to take risks with their lives by doing stupid things, then that is their decision. No sympathy from me watsoever will they get.

Most imporatantly, the show much go on, and that means your beloved PAD members must be extracted by whatever means it takes.

So with an attitude like this, why exactly are you living in Thailand, amongst Thai people, who are struggling to solve a huge rift that has been created by the ex PM, and is still carrying on through the now proxy PM brother in-law.

Too many people seem to forget, this is Thailand, it belongs to Thai people, they will deal with it the Thai way, not the European or American or whatever way, and how dare any arse hole imply that Thailand should adopt another country's way of doing things, just take a look at what other country's have done to the financial market……. And what they have done to the freedom of their citizens.

Thanks Solent01, this is a very nice response to tropo. The only thing I would suggest is to replace tropo by xxxx as it concerns so many other people ie rainmain and others of have more of a terrorist profile than grateful guests of Thailand.

It is terrible to see how many of these so called civilised people who care so little about poor pacifists demonstrators who are in their own country and are very bravely trying to fight corruption and organised crime.

oz

Police to launch psychological warfare to weaken public support for PAD

Sources from the meeting said the meeting assigned chiefs of all stations to launch door-to-door psychological operations to tell Bangkok residents not to join the rally at the Don Mueang Airport and at the Government House. They will also be told to convince their relatives to leave the airport and Government House as soon as possible.

The police are finally doing something and nobody is getting hurt. :o

source: http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/r...newsid=30089697

Edited by frodo