State Of Emergency Declared

george

I have seen repeatedly people say that PPP has "thugs" but PAD has "supporters and protesters"

I have also read how PPP carrys out "vote buying" but PAD "compensates supporters for lost earnings"

Or should we just be saying the PPP *are* thugs?

:o:D

The easiest way out of the current deadlock is new elections.

The question is: why the current government refuses to call for the new elections, if they are so sure in the outcome?

Is it because they want to remove the vote-fraud rule from the constitution first?

Keep crying foul when ever the result doesn't favour you? I don't think it is a good idea. New election does not solve problem.

What is stopping the yellow from taking the airport again and call for ANOTHER re election if PPP wins.

What is stopping the red from taking the airport and call for ANOTHER re election if Democrate wins.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't agree. It's ok to have discussions. If it's not your thing, log off. If Bendix or Wolfie or H90, with their superior insights of Thailand, know what it takes to end this debacle (airports closed, etc.) - then please enlighten us.

As several have suggested, quite simply call elections rather than potentially slaughter or maim.

The Govt is likely dissolved on Dec 2 anyways (for VOTE-FRAUD) Their answer is to remove vote-fraud rules (a natural democratically elected Govt reaction...)

Also, elections would COST Thaksin and Somchai apparently would rather slaughter and maim vs simply call elections (it's just easier and less expensive).

Again, to solve this crisis, all the PM has to do is say one word: ELECTIONS.... :o

Let the Swampy Carnival continue until Dec 2. The court will decide. The traveller can wait.

Re-election will not solve any problem. It will only encourage the loosing party to call for re-election immediately after the office result is annouanced.

i am sorry to say this, but i will. To all Thai who reads this forum: Thailand is a joke throughout the world. No one can ever justify the seizure of an international airport . You messing with those that give you your life and they are going to go away.

I am an expat living in Thailand, and I just want to take this opportunity to apologize to the Thai people for this kind of moronic post.

I think your reply is moronic. Please apologize.

Bangkok Post 20 mins ago, finally some (international) voice te4lling the terrorists of the PAD how the outside world sees their actions:

Washington (Agencies) - The United States on Friday criticised protesters who have seized Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports and said it was "deeply concerned" about the situation.

State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid said that occupying the airports is "not an appropriate means of protest" by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

The demonstrators should "walk away from the airports peacefully," he said.

Washington (Agencies) - The United States on Friday criticised protesters who have seized Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports and said it was "deeply concerned" about the situation.

State Department spokesman Gordon Duguid said that occupying the airports is "not an appropriate means of protest" by the People's Alliance for Democracy.

Looks like we now know where Bush is planning to retire... :o

Bangkok Post 20 mins ago, finally some (international) voice te4lling the terrorists of the PAD how the outside world sees their actions:

Yes, it's very confusing to the Bush administration when protesters don't stay inside their "Free Speech Zones."

EDIT: Not that I'm particularly sympathetic to PAD or anything, but given the nonsense that's gone on with freedom of assembly in my country over the last eight years specifically, but dating back to the days after the WTO riots, we don't have a ton of room to thumb our noses concerning the topic.

Edited by on-on

Very true. For claiming to be a Buddhist country, Thailand is one of the most dishonest, scam ridden countries on the planet where rule of law never has existed. Pay off the police, and the corruption is from the restaurant, taxi driver all the way to the top. Thailand is the only country where dishonesty is ingrained in children as being OK as long as you save face...by the way, "saving face" and self serving ego's are also non-Buddhist principles. The nation of double standards, lies, deceit all the while claiming they're a religious, Buddhist country (the #1 prostitution country on the planet...oh, but prostitution is illegal in Thailand)! ...Gee, I forgot...they do anything for money, steal the government, pull over cars or bring you to the police station for a bribe, turn off the taxi meter, turn a blind eye to hundreds of tourists murdered...what an amazing country! I want to live there right now!

No wonder Thai news isn't even a blip on the news on my country...no one cares because Thailand is one of the lowest on the respect scale...copyrights? What are those? Let's copy everything, steal everything, sell our family members and lie about it.

Sad because it could be such a successful country but even Thais are pilfering Thailand...anything for personal gain, ethics and morals out the door (oops, I forgot, they teach the kids to lie, cheat and steal when they're young).

My 4 trips there this year and months staying revealed Thailand is also one of the most prejudice countries on the planet, as well. My wife has endured some NASTY treatment from ethnic Thais only because of where she's born and her lack of money to become educated....if they had it their way, she wouldn't be able to vote solely because of her lack of resources when she was young. What nice Buddhists they truly are! By the way, there's no such thing as a pure blood Thai any more than there is a pure blooded UK, American, German, etc. Go far enough back and there was mixing...if there wasn't, we'd all look the same as the first humans on the planet.

It's so sad the good hearted poor suffer from the "my sh don't stink" wealthy dictator mongering class loving stuck up self absorbed, materialistic conceited idiots claiming they have Thailand in their best interest.

They need to take the kid gloves off and quash this crap asap for hijacking the airports and government buildings--It's terrorism! Real democratic nations wouldn't stand for this crap...nail em all, put the rest in jail and be done with it. Let them know if they want to hang around for this life, leave and don't infringe upon other's rights, then deal with the rest swiftly while they commit treason! If they want to protest, let them go to Benja Selee Park or apply for a protest permit and give them a location where it won't disrupt innocent businesses and tourists. Stupidity runs deep, far and wide!

Help me figure that one out: you find this country so disgusting, and yet you've made 4 trips to Thailand this year?! Doesn't compute. Why don't you just rescue your wife to the land of the [__________] (fill in the blanks yourself).

No, it's not perfect. Yes, it has a great lot of problems. No, it's not the only country in the world that faces an upward struggle. Let's face it -- the country has more or less recently gone from rice fields-only to skyscrapers & McDonalds. Partly thanks to your countrymen using it as a convenient & safe base to hammer away at neighboring countries (where the scary Commies live, you know)... Prostitution didn't originate then, but its scale certainly has its roots there.

"...they do anything for money, steal the government...": are you refering to banks, oil and insurance companies in you-know-where here?!? Isn't it a bit hypocritical to point your finger at what "they" are doing wrong in Thailand...? And while we're at it -- religions (or, as it were here, philosophies) have always tried to define ground rules, and have always failed in having people following them, or rather, not circumventing or abusing them. Come off it -- inhowfar are the bible belt pilots of your country any "better"? They go to war over oil, and have the Big Potatoe declaring on TV that it's for the best of the world, and God bless America (does God only bless one side, and the others are satanic by definition?!?).

Not much is a blip on your country's news unless it's associated with stars, stripes, gov't scaremongers and terrorists. At least I don't get FoxNews here, only CNN.

Yes, it's the poor getting hammered here, like everywhere else in the world. What the PAD are doing here is a load of cr@p -- I give you that. And yet, there might be a grain of "something useful" in what they're saying [no, I don't support/agree with them in any sort of way], just as there might have been "something useful" in the 8 years of Bush-induced world chaos.

Actually I agree with both Hyena and Asia Cheese!

Both of you are absolutely right

I agree with you cheese...God shouldn't bless America (I think more recently it's a plea). I'm not fond of my own country, especially the blood for oil program, death sentences to the poor, etc. I do like the freedom of religion and steps taken to recognize every man and woman equal. Everything needs balance. The US has its God Bless America but is not a religious state. McDonalds and other poor contributions to other country's is nothing I'm happy with, either (it's disgusting food). I do like the decent Thai people but I am shocked at how overt and tolerant racism is there. My own country had its struggles 100 years ago-it was just shocking to see it in another country where someone can ask you to leave a restaurant only because of where you were born. I think in principle, the US is one of the better nations (or we wouldn't have millions a year applying for visas and sneaking over borders). China is the big potatoe now, anyway...the US is taking a back seat because the US has been blowing big money killing everyone for the strength of the dollar, oil and trade. Having said that, Thailand has a subculture where looking good and appearances take precedence over honesty and truth.

I don't agree with PAD, I don't like the current government...something should be done but I just can't get out of my armchair to fix it all (I have all the answers, you know)! I go back to Thailand for business with Muslims. I don't like the treatment the BKK thais give where every time a baht comes out, a scam is sure to follow. On average, an informed farang will get ripped off 3 times a day...can't say I've been ripped off in years in my own country. My wife has it down to 1 scam a week, maybe less depending on how much she spends. For the most part, it seems the poorer, the more pure hearted in Thailand but that's my brief opinion from what I've seen.

Not a blip on the news because India, Canada, Iraq, Iran, Russia, Africa and S. America were in the news...world news, I was talking about.

Edited by HYENA

Running away and hide himself in Chiang Mai is a sign of weakness. If he was a man and a real leader of the country, he will go to Suva and talk and listen to the demonstrators, and answer their questions, believe me he will gain respect from all the Nation. Now he act like an coward, and we all know that nobody respect a coward

I agree that the PPP is weak; your comment is correct.

To be fair PAD is just as weak, hiding behind woman and children; but they are not the government, who cares if the PlSS sitting down.

Some people would say PAD need to leave

Regardless of my leanings towards PAD, the simple fact is that any government that can let a situation get to this point is obviously unfit to manage the country.

You must be able to see that, surely?

I really don't care either way. If the PPP steps down and then PAD leaves fine. If PAD leaves on it's own great. My only requirement you see is that PAD needs to leave. That is what needs to happen to resume flights.

you must be able to see that, surely?

It's so simple, yet many people just don't get it. One way or another this mob of idiots must be extracted from the airport. I favour a more forceful approach because negotiating with these fools just won't work. They must be feeling pretty confident by now having held the country to ransom for 4 days already.

Edited by tropo

Looks like we now know where Bush is planning to retire... :D

I guess the government should follow from Americas initiative and start the mass building of homeland detention camps :o

EDIT: Not that I'm particularly sympathetic to PAD or anything, but given the nonsense that's gone on with freedom of assembly in my country over the last eight years specifically, but dating back to the days after the WTO riots, we don't have a ton of room to thumb our noses concerning the topic.

Another yank stealing our British thunder!! :D

I think you may find that the US follows the UK in its 'Big Brother' state. London has been under terrorist threat since the 70's (ie: No personal liberty..its for our own good)..

-UK has the highest concentration of CCTV in the world

-We have the US/UK echelon sytem monitoring every email/fax/phone

-Client/Patient privilege was abolished a few years ago by the EU.. Professionals MUST report ANYTHING out of order they see or hear when meeting a client to the Stasi Authorities, or face charges.

-For the last 15 years... unauthorised gatherings banned of more than 10 people listening to music including "sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats". Link

and finally we introduce Minority report CCTV in the UK

:o

Think i prefer 'backwards' Thailand!

Edited by SomNamNah

The traveller can wait.

I'd rather not. :o

no doubt.

read an article on bangkokpost

saying over 200,000 factory workers

around BKK were laid off due to

lack of raw materials and export

total financial cost of this

airport terrorism thing could cost

Thailand over 200 BILLION baht

PAD is destroying the country

they claim to love so much.

some of the people on here

think Thailand can survive without

tourists or export.

those guys are idiots.

Thailand has made the list of the Top 20 Most Dangerous Places as compiled by the Telegraph newspaper of London.

The latest edition of the list puts Thailand as the seventh most-dangerous spot for travellers behind Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya, South Africa, Somalia and Sudan. Thailand is said to be more dangerous than Colombia and Haiti at the moment.

now that IS Funny! Shows that the Telegraph writers are clueless!

You obviously haven't looked at the murder counts of tourists and the lack of prosecution due to corruption (or the fact that human life is viewed as worth nothing)!

Here's a link for one country...other country's have their own...Thailand is a bad place, indeed!

Here's some quotes:

Thailand has one of the world's highest per-capita murder rates – when the UN last counted it in 2000, it stood at 5,140 per year, though the annual total is now speculated to be more than 6,000. In the years 2003 to 2006, 17 of these victims were UK nationals, according to the FCO. These murders include a sexually motivated killing of a young British woman; a Thai police officer executing two backpackers in a crowded street; shootings, throat cuttings and two cases of other Westerners murdering UK nationals; and, more pertinently, several cases of Thai wives or their family members slaying British husbands.

On average, about 50 civilian UK nationals are murdered around the world each year (excluding terrorist attacks). This means that almost 10 per cent of all murders of Britons abroad are committed in Thailand – a chilling figure, given that Thailand comprises only 0.6 per cent of all foreign travel from UK shores.

http://friskodude.blogspot.com/2008/01/bri...n-paradise.html

It's easy to sit back and say self knowing what a bunch of rubbish. I'm sure death and injury counts were taken to compile the most dangerous list. Thailand is not safe but it puts on a good lie that it is. They used to hand out papers to each visiting person about potential for violence and scams...but now that the government is no longer pretending not to be corrupt, they stopped that, too (after all, it's likely their relatives doing the scamming and murdering--God forbid someone warn them, it would reduce victim business)!

Edited by HYENA

Another yank stealing our British thunder!! :D

I think you may find that the US follows the UK in its 'Big Brother' state. London has been under terrorist threat since the 70's (ie: No personal liberty..its for our own good)..

-UK has the highest concentration of CCTV in the world

-We have the US/UK echelon sytem monitoring every email/fax/phone

-Client/Patient privilege was abolished a few years ago by the EU.. Professionals MUST report ANYTHING out of order they see or hear when meeting a client to the Stasi Authorities, or face charges.

-For the last 15 years... unauthorised gatherings banned of more than 10 people listening to music including "sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats". Link

and finally we introduce Minority report CCTV in the UK

:o

Think i prefer 'backwards' Thailand!

The excuse of terrorism is different than the true definition of terrorists (defined in a previous post), something should be done to terrorists (not beating the terrorist drum for an excuse to take civil liberties).

Taking an airport is an act of war in many places, domestic terrorism in others. Claiming to use people as human shields was a stupid move...it seems the PAD has the entire international community condemning their acts so no chance of trade if they get into power (more likely embargoes like Burma).

Thailand has made the list of the Top 20 Most Dangerous Places as compiled by the Telegraph newspaper of London.

The latest edition of the list puts Thailand as the seventh most-dangerous spot for travellers behind Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya, South Africa, Somalia and Sudan. Thailand is said to be more dangerous than Colombia and Haiti at the moment.

It's easy to sit back and say self knowing what a bunch of rubbish. I'm sure death and injury counts were taken to compile the most dangerous list. Thailand is not safe but it puts on a good lie that it is. They used to hand out papers to each visiting person about potential for violence and scams...but now that the government is no longer pretending not to be corrupt, they stopped that, too (after all, it's likely their relatives doing the scamming and murdering--God forbid someone warn them, it would reduce victim business)!

u have land in Roi Et

but i dont think you live here

ive never even had someone

look at me wrong in Roi Et or anywhere

up in the Northeast.

any murder happening

is down at the beaches or in

very bad parts of BKK

mostly drunk wanke_rs

doing something stupid

last time i was down

at the US embassy in BKK

there was this 60 year old dude

scraped up and drunk at 9am

lost his passport

and got shredded cuz he ran

his motorcycle into a car

drunk of course.

if u die in Thailand

u are either over 80

or u dont know how to live

other than idiots in BKK & Phuket

Thailand is mostly peaceful farmland.

oh, and survival of the fittest !

It's 2am. I'm signing off with the hope that I will wake up with either the PAD driven out of the airport by the police, or a military coup. Anything is better right now than the country paralyzed and being ruined. Blocking one of the largest airports into its 4th day is absolutely unacceptable and will bring unrepairable damage to Thailand's economy and image. Tourism is dead. Import and export will suffer billions in damages.

I am disappointed that also that the one person who I hoped truly cared about the country, has not done anything in the past 4 days. This may be the end of Thailand as we knew and loved it.

My last thoughts of tonight go out to India and it's government, who truly knew how to handle and end a crisis.

Have a good night all.

There in your post you can find the moral and financial support for PAD. Read other websites, other news agency websites and they'll spell it all out for you. Look through Thai history...it's just repeating itself over and over.

u have land in Roi Et

up in the Northeast.

any murder happening

very bad parts of BKK

mostly drunk wanke_rs

doing something stupid

last time i was down

at the US embassy in BKK

lost his passport

drunk of course.

if u die in Thailand

u are either over 80

What is this?

poetry? :o

u have land in Roi Et

up in the Northeast.

any murder happening

very bad parts of BKK

mostly drunk wanke_rs

doing something stupid

last time i was down

at the US embassy in BKK

lost his passport

drunk of course.

if u die in Thailand

u are either over 80

I've never had any problems in Roi Et...very nice people in Isaan. I love Isaan people; they just need a chance...PAD doesn't even believe they should vote!

Like the AUS shot in Chang Mai at his home, or the Japanese lady who had her throat slit in Sukhothai while fiding her bike to enjoy the temple

THis sounds like one of the posts where "the victims deserve it". Survival of the fittest...obviously you haven't lost a loved one due to senseless violence. Try searching tourist murdered or tourist stabbed/shot/strangled here and in Google and see what shows up? It appears the majority are anything but drunk party goers in Pattaya.

Tell that to the families of these people: (took a whole 2 minutes, pages to go)-these are radom right down the list...didn't see any you refer to...

Swedish woman was stabbed to death while sunbathing in Phuket.

Thai Island student Katherine Horton was raped and murdered

.Yoshio Kojima, a 53-year-old business man, and Tatsuya Hisagane, a 52-year-old interpreter, whose bodies were found March 28 dumped at a construction site

On March the 15, a 27 year old Swedish woman was stabbed to death while sunbathing in Phuket.

On Saturday, an American tourist was shot dead in Chiang Mai.

Sunday, a 24 year old Indian tourist was stabbed to death as he tried to break up a fight during a party on Rin Beach in Surat Thani.

The Keffer family who was robbed and the father was shot dead in BKK during a family vacation

Tatiana Tsimfer, 30, and Lyubov Svirkova 25 stabbed Pattaya

Kirsty Jones, 23, found strangled in a guest house Chang Mai

The family of an American tourist Gary Poretsky murdered in Chiang Mai-his killer will serve less than three years in jail

Buddhist monk killed Johanne Masheder, the 23-year-old British woman-Khawpoon

David Kakilashvili, 32, dead with eight knife wounds to the chest, arm, face and back-Phangan

24 year old engineer tourist killed by 4 men-phi-phi

Oh and the murder near my wife's house last year (Roi Et)...dumped him in the water canal over a stupid arguement...and the Australian contractor brought in to survey why a company was losing money and learned everyone was stealing it so they killed him when he found out...they knew who did it, no prosecution, as usual.

The Canadian where Thais still know who did it but nothing has been done...he even confessed (it's a cop, of course)

Survival of the fittest? Tell the families of these people, why don't ya?

PAD is different because if they get shot/killed, it is while undermining a legitimate government. No one would blink an eye. Go try to overthrow your own government and see how quick they deal with whoever is doing it..

Edited by HYENA

- The Airport is closed because PAD has no more leverage

- The government can't use the police to get rid of them because last time they tried they helped the PAD's cause by making a disaster out of simple crowd control.

- The government can't use the army because the army is looking after its own interests

- The government can't ignore the protestors because they are destroying the economy

- The PAD is going to get shot up soon, but they won't leave because they have been told it's the only way to win.

- The media can't help because it's better for them if it all goes south

- Other countries can't help because apparently Thailand has no idea that the rest of the world doesn't behave this way. They have no idea how stupid they sound when someone tries to explain the whole situation.

- And of course there are other solutions which cannot be discussed because…

- And no matter which way this whole thing comes out, it is nearly a guarantee there will be a similar deadlock in a year or two.

It's like a goldfish swimming around in a fish bowl thinking at each turn it is looking at something new.

It's a perfect storm of stupid out there.

Edited by canuckamuck

PAD is different because if they get shot/killed, it is while undermining a legitimate government. No one would blink an eye. Go try to overthrow your own government and see how quick they deal with whoever is doing it..

i'll tell the families and i'll tell you.

if u can't survive, you wont.

a bleeding heart full of sympathy

doesn't improve chances of survival

for you or anyone else.

ever heard of evolution?

that's where i got my quote.

i didn't just make it up.

as far as these deaths,

what were the circumstances?

the news is different

depending on what side of

the world u are reading it from.

i do read a lot of articles

here in Thailand about men being

murdered by their wives, drunk friends,

and Thai boyfriend of their wife.

(last one very common)

random murder doesn't happen often

as far as i can tell from Thai media.

and they put deaths on the front page lol

swedish sunbathing woman stabbed.

if its the one that was big news earlier this year,

she was walking at night alone (not sunbathing) and

a horny fisherman kidnapped, raped and chopped her up.

chick walking alone at night

on any beach in the world is not

a good way to survive.

true about the PAD tho.

this wouldn't have lasted more than

a couple hours anywhere else in the world lol

[poem end]

- The Airport is closed because PAD has no more leverage

- The government can't use the police to get rid of them because last time they tried they helped the PAD's cause by making a disaster out of simple crowd control.

- The government can't use the army because the army is looking after its own interests

- The government can't ignore the protestors because they are destroying the economy

- The PAD is going to get shot up soon, but they won't leave because they have been told it's the only way to win.

- The media can't help because it's better for them if it all goes south

- Other countries can't help because apparently Thailand has no idea that the rest of the world doesn't behave this way. They have no idea how stupid they sound when someone tries to explain the whole situation.

- And of course there are other solutions which cannot be discussed because…

- And no matter which way this whole thing comes out, it is nearly a guarantee there will be a similar deadlock in a year or two.

It's like a goldfish swimming around in empty bowl thinking at each turn it is looking at something new.

It's a perfect storm of stupid out there.

It is true...things that happen in Thailand are many storms of stupid (thery're so frequent, it doesn't even have to be perfect). I guess that's why no one is really surprised anymore. After reporting so many fantastic stories, the international media don't want to start sounding like some "alien abducts man and has baby in Thailand" newsflash....so they are better served to ignore Thailand...every year it's always some drama...Thailand is a drama queen country full of problems it worked so hard to create, then afterwards everyone smiles, lies and tries to look like they won.

The kind of money that pours into Thailand, it should be a major power in the region but instead they've got their heads up each other's rears looking for a solution and the solution is right there...but won't act. Who really cares what happens? They've perfected idiocy! Thailand worked long and hard to get its reputation; why spoil it now?

.... Look through Thai history...it's just repeating itself over and over.

This may not be a characterization of the pattern you allude to, but here goes:

Major Thai demonstrations, in the past few decades, have been broken up - either with a whimper or a bang.

In other words, some demonstrations were broken up with excessive force, with many protesters shot dead - who would have dispersed if allowed to run off. There's no middle ground.

Thais have a general character trait that's similar in that; situations are either 'very cool or boiling hot' ('jai yen' or 'jai ron'). For example, if you have a dispute with a Thai, that person will grin and act cool cool cool, until - all of a sudden - he/she will go ballistic.

As with public demonstrations, so too with Thai temperments, there is no middle ground.

Currently, the demonstrations at the airports all appear quite cool - with no active confrontations. All that can change in an instant - with mayhem and heads bashed, bullets fired. Better dynamic would be a dialogue, and hopefully leading to a diffusion of the situation.

But, just as Thais aren't adept at discussing contentions, person to person - so too the airport situation will likely lead to injuries or worse.

i'll tell the families and i'll tell you.

if u can't survive, you wont.

a bleeding heart full of sympathy

doesn't improve chances of survival

for you or anyone else.

ever heard of evolution?

that's where i got my quote.

i didn't just make it up.

as far as these deaths,

what were the circumstances?

the news is different

depending on what side of

the world u are reading it from.

i do read a lot of articles

here in Thailand about men being

murdered by their wives, drunk friends,

and Thai boyfriend of their wife.

(last one very common)

random murder doesn't happen often

as far as i can tell from Thai media.

and they put deaths on the front page lol

swedish sunbathing woman stabbed.

if its the one that was big news earlier this year,

she was walking at night alone (not sunbathing) and

a horny fisherman kidnapped, raped and chopped her up.

chick walking alone at night

on any beach in the world is not

a good way to survive.

true about the PAD tho.

this wouldn't have lasted more than

a couple hours anywhere else in the world lol

[poem end]

Roses are red, violets are blue

search Thaivisa, you'll see it too

Muders in Thailand

Have been out of hand (yes, muders, I said)!

because no one <deleted> goes to jail and no one cares and nothing is ever done so do some research! You read Thai media and believe it? Ever heard of the term ThaiLie? Try doing a search of outraged families of murdered victims. Oh, so someone walks at night and you blame the victim...like you should be shot for walking at night you idiot...you should know better than to go to a purportedly peace loving nation, hang out at the beach and walk enjoying the water and moonlight...your daughter deserved to die because she was stupid...no one in their right mind should walk along a peaceful beach at night!

Research the murders...most are senseless stabbings and robbery's. The Japanese lady taken off her bike and stabbed and she was writing a cute little bio how nice the people are (how dare she ride her bike in the early morning, she should have known better...of course she knew she'd get killed)!

...there are thousands and Pattaya is too small to house that many or it would be the muder capital of the world...

Thailand #14 muder country of the world (for a reason). There are many places to go get drunk and be stupid. No one deserves to die but some know it may be coming (if you're doing a terrorist act and attempting to overthrow a government and commut treason) then whatever happens to silence you within the law is fair game...but to think somehow a law abiding tourist or citizen deserves to die is horribly callous.

I did notice Thailand seems to prey more on women (I discovered while searching) than men...seems like they enjoy stabbing women and shooting men.

I said what I said

don't contradict me, too.

end of poem

Edited by HYENA

.... Look through Thai history...it's just repeating itself over and over.

This may not be a characterization of the pattern you allude to, but here goes:

Major Thai demonstrations, in the past few decades, have been broken up - either with a whimper or a bang.

In other words, some demonstrations were broken up with excessive force, with many protesters shot dead - who would have dispersed if allowed to run off. There's no middle ground.

Thais have a general character trait that's similar in that; situations are either 'very cool or boiling hot' ('jai yen' or 'jai ron'). For example, if you have a dispute with a Thai, that person will grin and act cool cool cool, until - all of a sudden - he/she will go ballistic.

As with public demonstrations, so too with Thai temperments, there is no middle ground.

Currently, the demonstrations at the airports all appear quite cool - with no active confrontations. All that can change in an instant - with mayhem and heads bashed, bullets fired. Better dynamic would be a dialogue, and hopefully leading to a diffusion of the situation.

But, just as Thais aren't adept at discussing contentions, person to person - so too the airport situation will likely lead to injuries or worse.

I was laughing out loud on that one....true...the smile, then kicka yo assa...never in the middle. Don't forget the orchestrator of the show, always...one side or another but always there

I just don't understand why they shouldn't get right to it, declare whatever they're gonna declare and wreak havoc? THey've already scared investors away and are trying to kill tourism...let's have it!

At least the baht will continue to fall so foreign money will be stronger....everything has it's advantages. My family, unfortunately is dependent on what i can do to give them a leg up over there....so a strong dollar can help them more. Hopefully you expats enjoy foreign currency, as well.

Edited by HYENA

lots of knee jerk reactions here, i wonder what the same red top muppets say in 4 weeks, bloody annoying but no more than that, get a perspective for gods sake. For the economists on here the thai economy will not lose an awful lot long term they were smart after the crash and are cash rich compared to europe, no long term thinker peeps on here i think