State Of Emergency Declared

george

Airport shutdown costs electrical companies Bt1 bn a day

Source: The Nation - 29 November 2008

I agree that airport shutdown will cost money. This will not be the last time, I assure you.

I do feel sorry for foreign tourist that stuck here. However this is considered very normal in the west. I was stuck in London once when London transport when on strike for a week. While I am based in central London, but need to commute to greater London daily amid the suck traffic. The cummulative taxi bill itself can make an average thai farmer rich overnight. I PAID, I SUFFERED, NO ONE COMPENSATE ME.

As some has mentioned, the Frech trucker has block ports for weeks. That cost money too. So be it.

If you need to travel in or out. Please use alternative. YOU PAY, YOU SUFFER, AND NO ONE WILL COMPENSATE YOU. TIT

Alternative: By road/rail/sea to Chiang Mai/Phuket/Krabi/Had Yai/Samui. Overprice ticket is widely available to get you out to Singapore, Hong Kong, Penang, Kuala Lumpur, etc etc. Sorry to land you in this mess.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Protesters seizing airports must respect law : Convicted Thaksin

Fugitive ex-Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has called for anti-government protesters who seized Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports to respect the laws or face legal action.

Just like he respected the laws?

What a hypocrite!

Somehow, this makes sense to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouav0ph9Fc

Very convincing isn't he?

:o

Actually he is in regard to the audience he is talking to.

He comes across as a calm and gentle person. Certainly far more endearing than some agitated fellow screaming on a stage Nuremburg style or a puffed up military fellow who has stuck a bunch of medals on his chest in the old Soviet tradition of the more ribbons and big medals, the more important one must be.

Of course people will snicker about the need to respect the law, particularly from him, but that's not the point. For the international audience made up of english speaking internet users and diplomats, he is convincing enough to support directly and indirectly.

Airport shutdown costs electrical companies Bt1 bn a day

Source: The Nation - 29 November 2008

I agree that airport shutdown will cost money. This will not be the last time, I assure you.

I do feel sorry for foreign tourist that stuck here. However this is considered very normal in the west. I was stuck in London once when London transport when on strike for a week. While I am based in central London, but need to commute to greater London daily amid the suck traffic. The cummulative taxi bill itself can make an average thai farmer rich overnight. I PAID, I SUFFERED, NO ONE COMPENSATE ME.

As some has mentioned, the Frech trucker has block ports for weeks. That cost money too. So be it.

If you need to travel in or out. Please use alternative. YOU PAY, YOU SUFFER, AND NO ONE WILL COMPENSATE YOU. TIT

Alternative: By road/rail/sea to Chiang Mai/Phuket/Krabi/Had Yai/Samui. Overprice ticket is widely available to get you out to Singapore, Hong Kong, Penang, Kuala Lumpur, etc etc. Sorry to land you in this mess.

yup, yup

i was going to bkk and down south, not any more.

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

ditto. no doubt they have some idea what is coming. do they believe in becoming martyrs is the answer? don't understand their value system enough to follow any train of thought they may have on where this is going to end...

http://www.managerradio.com/Radio/DetailRa...rogram_id=21182

Sondhi speech last night. He name the AOT director who turn away the chartered Iran Air mid air so the pilgrim cannot board. I believe it is a lie. IMHO, the chartered plane probably didn't take off in the first place. Does someone have any info on this?

The most interesting part of the speech is in min 30 (you can fast forward using the scroll bar. I quote:

"If the police want to search you for guns, tell the poilice: You can search, but I'll shoot. If necessary, shoot with the police. Mai Pen Rai [ie don't hesitate], PAD is responsible to fight your legal case to the end".

Sorry if it sound disturnbing. I am just reporting on fact and warm hot head farang who wants to go and have a curious look. If you don't hear from me again, I will probably will be banded for putting this message up.

Somehow, this makes sense to me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mouav0ph9Fc

Very convincing isn't he?

:o

Actually he is in regard to the audience he is talking to.

He comes across as a calm and gentle person. Certainly far more endearing than some agitated fellow screaming on a stage Nuremburg style or a puffed up military fellow who has stuck a bunch of medals on his chest in the old Soviet tradition of the more ribbons and big medals, the more important one must be.

Of course people will snicker about the need to respect the law, particularly from him, but that's not the point. For the international audience made up of english speaking internet users and diplomats, he is convincing enough to support directly and indirectly.

Yes,

but any real diplomat will have a file on him that explains his act accurately.

Did you see Bush's face in Peru sitting with Somchai?

such a good post , i had to share... Here in CM last night...

Just make yourselves one of these ....

3064842895_d00d0f12d4_o.jpg

... and keep your heads down :o

PAD shields, taken near their CM headquarters yesterday afternoon.

The redshirts were very much on edge last night at the pro-government headquarters in CM. Clear though, after I'd heard every possible rumour under the sun, that no one had a clue what was going on. 'Troops' being shipped off to Government House in Mae Rim in this photo where Somchai is holed up, a reaction to the apparent threat of hordes of PAD supporters about to arrive ...

3066200368_66a27e9593_o.jpg

Note the crutches in this first vehicle of the convoy ... not for beating yellow shirts over the head with - they belong to one of the redshirt leaders who lost the use of his legs fighting for democracy in Thailand, as he told us from the stage earlier on in the evening...

On a slight tangent, it was easy to identify the fuel of much of the anger, whatever the shirt hue, especially as the evenings wear on. Alcohol.

What is the point in going back and forth trying to argue that the PAD are paid or not?

I think that it would be naive to think that some don't receive money, and the PAD themselves admit that their guards are employed.

Of course not all PAD protesters were paid, but surely some of them were.

Just like some voters who voted for PPP were paid.

But why the PAD tries to overthrow the PPP when they did the exact same thing is beyond me.

Ehhhh...you really don't know the difference?

If we leave everything at side, vote buying in an election is illegal. As it buys you power. Giving people money to protest is not, as it gives you very little besides a few bodies walking with you.

Here is an intersting piece from the New Straits Times predicting a very different ending:

Hammered, please be careful. You could be banned for putting up this link. There must NOT be direct or indirect referal.

Many Thais will find this insulting, and republic.

Bowmore,

not for just posting the link. As far as I know.

This is not on thai visa, so fair play.

If he were to quote it or state it, yes taken down immediately.

PS. Great scotch, one of my personal favorites...

With Oban, Langulvin and Talisker.

Maybe we need the 'Laird Of The Isles' for PM?

This is getting silly. Can YOU provide weblink to the proof that PAD is NOT paying protesters? And I want a video and photos of it. How they are NOT giving ANY money to protesters.

I'm waiting...

It's virtually impossible to prove a negative. It's a logical fallacy to request it.

Al Jazeera reporter at the airport reckons PAD numbers have doubled over the last couple of days, the weekend a factor of course. Also, she doesn't think it looks like the police action is imminent.

Hadnt thought about the weekend factor,....zzz... always fun to watch a spectacle!

monday it is then... or not.. now i understand why the Thai neighbours here couldnt give a f*** about the situation! and are almost suprised that i should be slightly concerned... oh well.. zzzz back to sleep.

this coup sucks. very dull. Not even any dancing girls on the PAD stage.

Edited by SomNamNah

Does anyone have a link to a site with recent footage of events? I cant find anything!

First, good 'moaning' all...

-ASTV live feeds appear cut in the past few minutes... (might come back on though?) :D

-Just scanned Television reports and as I speak/type ALJazeera has a Dutch (?) female reporter standing in front of the airport giving a very extensive live report (in english). All looks calm (at this moment).

-Manager online reports Chamlong apparently woke up Govt-house protesters early this morning and told them to prepare to move to Suvarnabhumi. This would explain why the #s of protesters have swelled at the airport, as reported by ALJazeera's gal on the actual scene...

-Jonathan Head, BBC, where the hel_l are you??? (prob at Starbucks in Siam Paragon, chatting up uni-girls whilst getting updates from AlJazeera) :o Head should pull his out of his *ss and stop reporting from his CBD balcony (as is mostly the case lately it seems)...

Below is a link to a live-stream from AlJazeera's english live-feed (a bit Mumbai-heavy but justifiably). No doubt with a reporter actually on the ground (unlike Head, the big girls blouse) they'll probably have more updates:

AlJazeera live stream:

http://www.tvlizer.com/content/view/242/374/

(AJ eng news service, the best intnl coverage bar none - and Sir David Frost as an added bonus) :D

EDIT/ to suggest JH get his head out of his *ss, get off his *ss (and his balcony), head to swampy and provide Live on-the-scene updates

Edited by baht&sold

Here is an intersting piece from the New Straits Times predicting a very different ending:

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sat...icle/index_html

Hammered, please be careful. You could be banned for putting up this link. There must NOT be direct or indirect referal.

Many Thais will find this insulting, and republic.

Bowmore,

not for just posting the link. As far as I know.

This is not on thai visa, so fair play.

If he were to quote it or state it, yes taken down immediately.

PS. Great scotch, one of my personal favorites...

With Oban, Langulvin and Talisker.

Maybe we need the 'Laird Of The Isles' for PM?

Just a kind reminder. I got myself banned a few times already, and would not want to provoke the moderator(s) furthur.

PS. Nice to know that there are real scotch lovers in Thailand. I don't mean those cheaper blended stuff you can get for 499 Baht.

i am sorry to say this, but i will. To all Thai who reads this forum: Thailand is a joke throughout the world. No one can ever justify the seizure of an international airport . You messing with those that give you your life and they are going to go away.

I am an expat living in Thailand, and I just want to take this opportunity to apologize to the Thai people for this kind of moronic post.

I second that.

I do too!

Does anyone have a link to a site with recent footage of events? I cant find anything!

First, good 'moaning' all...

-ASTV live feeds appear cut in the past few minutes... (might come back on though?) :D

-Just scanned Television reports and as I speak/type ALJazeera has a Dutch (?) female reporter standing in front of the airport giving a very extensive live report (in english). All looks calm (at this moment).

-Manager online reports Chamlong apparently woke up Govt-house protesters early this morning and told them to prepare to move to Suvarnabhumi. This would explain why the #s of protesters have swelled at the airport, as reported by ALJazeera's gal on the actual scene...

-Jonathan Head, BBC, where the hel_l are you??? (prob at Starbucks in Siam Paragon, chatting up uni-girls whilst getting updates from AlJazeera) :o Head should pull his out of his *ss and stop reporting from his CBD balcony (as is mostly the case lately it seems)...

Below is a link to a live-stream from AlJazeera's english live-feed (a bit Mumbai-heavy but justifiably). No doubt with a reporter actually on the ground (unlike Head, the big girls blouse) they'll probably have more updates:

AlJazeera live stream:

http://www.tvlizer.com/content/view/242/374/

(AJ eng news service, the best intnl coverage bar none - and Sir David Frost as an added bonus) :D

EDIT/ to suggest JH get his head out of his *ss, get off his *ss (and his balcony), head to swampy and provide Live on-the-scene updates

And who is the guy reporting from BALI? Do he know not that he has gone to the wrong airport.

I'm sorry if you are on holiday. Get your bottom back now. Via Chiang Mai or Phuket of cause.

Al Jazeera reporter at the airport reckons PAD numbers have doubled over the last couple of days, the weekend a factor of course. Also, she doesn't think it looks like the police action is imminent.

Hadnt thought about the weekend factor,....zzz... always fun to watch a spectacle!

monday it is then... or not.. now i understand why the Thai neighbours here couldnt give a f*** about the situation! and are almost suprised that i should be slightly concerned... oh well.. zzzz back to sleep.

this coup sucks. very dull. Not even any dancing girls on the PAD stage.

Yes indeed the weekend factor does play a role....Thaskin is spending the weekend in Hong Kong and directly trying to control the situation.

The PM is busy this morning with a stimulating round of golf in Chang Mai.

The Police and military are really assessing the news flash from the court when they moved the date up from Dec 15 to Tuesday Dec 2, saying they had enough evidence of corruption and vote buying against the 3 major parties to render a decision without further testimony. So who wants to get blood on their hands for a group that might no longer be in power?

A classic case of CYA.

This is a very interesting chess game... I had written earlier about the courts playing the decisive role, but I was surprised when they did indeed accelerate things. This solution allows for all to save face, the PM is thrown out of office by what he claims is a biased court, the PAD step down, and the PPP is gone.....But unless some new twist come to be, looks like next Wed. before the airport can open.

the problem is the cop has lost faith in their leader, the last time they did a crack down, aftermath the government and cop were at fault, but somchai pointing finger at the cop, kinda like back stab, who's in their right mind to trust him anymore, somchai suppose to protect his most valuable (the cop), but instead he protect himself and let the cop to hang.

Oh really? Again???

(BangkokPost.com) - If the People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD) refuses to negotiate with the government, the police will have to take action to reopen Suvarnabhumi airport, according to Interior Minister Kowit Wattana.

The minister on Saturday morning travelled to the Metropolitan Police Bureau to attend the meeting on the State of Emergency at Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports. The meeting was joined by Metropolitan Police chief Suchart Muankaew and his deputies.

Prior to the meeting, Pol Gen Kowit said the meeting would determine what measures the police will implement, should the anti-government group leaders reject to enter talks with authorities.

The ASTV live feed works intermittently (as it has for the past few days) from my Japan hotel room. My internet connection has been off and on, so I don't think it's a censorship issue. Right now there's some guy in a suit talking (in Thai, so I have no idea what he's saying) at the microphone with some yellow-shirted fellow (with a white towel around his neck like a winter scarf) by his side.