Photography School

timsarus

No. but you are welcome to call or use Skype if you have questions about the basics.

A traditional camera might be better to learn all about aperture and shutter speed (these values are linked as 1/125 at 4.0 equals 1/250 at 2.8) and depth of field.

I can tell you something about lenses. Fast ones, telephoto, wide angle and normal ones. For portraits, you might want a fast lens like a 1.4/85 mm or a 2.0/135 mm But you probably have a zoom lens.

Q: what's the make of your camera and the model? Is it a SLR?

With internet access, you can learn a lot on websites like www.luminous-landscape.com or www.photo.net

Chris

H: 02 501 5185, Skype: kf6vci (Photos not mine - they show the quality of the medium format which I prefer to 35 mm)

post-7704-1228126928_thumb.jpg

post-7704-1228126948_thumb.jpg

What camera do you have, What software are you using.

You might be interested in online training. Never had the time myself BUT

Kelby Training looks good, and you can take out a subscription for just one month, The first three lessons in each course are free if you want to give it a try. It tends to crash my Firefox browser for some reason.

Web Photo School also has three free lessons.

There is a lot of other training available on the net.

I looked long and hard here in thailand for photography schools and it would appear the only thing available is with 3 universities inside thailand that offer this. I'm sorry I can't remember which ones they were, probably useless information anyway. I did manage to find heaps of good photography books in the local book shop, both in thai and english, you may like to check them out.

Kf6vci you obviously sound as if you know abit about photography, I was looking to find a Digital SLR, something slightly better than an entry level one, was considering the Nikkon D300, have you had any experience with this camera?

might i suggest buying a book.

with a camera manual and a good book (technical type),

read slowly and do a lot of experimenting.

much easier nowadays with digital.

learn about lenses and colour and filters.

digital photography is kinda harder to get a good photo coz you dont have a choice of film and processing.

play around, do heaps.....................

Photography School Asia Workshop Club is designed for people from basic to intermediate level to learn and improve their skills. A set of six modules teaches students how to address various photographic issues over a two week period. Flexible dates can be arranged and lessons can be taken in your own time if you are unable to attend every class.

Photography techniques taught include:

Basic camera and metering understanding

People Photography, how to approach and take people picture.

Colour and Black and White digital photography

Slow shutter and night time photography

Photoshop and Lightroom Techniques

Documentary and Feature Photography

How to analyze and edit your work for maximum impact.

The lessons structure involves a set of targets being given at the start of each class, followed by practical assignments and then edit time and group critique.

There is more information posted on the students forum on the website.

www.photographyschoolasia.com

Please note bookings for the next set of workshops will be open once a minimum number of three students have applied to join the course. Class sizes will be from three to six people only, so everyone will gain valuable tutor time from Jonathan Taylor.

please see the website for further details

There is no need to quote this. Thank you. We can all read BTW :o

Like I said in the other forum .. you are a spammer. The mod's should boot you ASAP. If you want to sell your extremely overpriced photo tour, become a paid sponsor

Edited by Kan Win

The OP asked for details of a photography school/learning facility. Jonathan Taylor's course was put forward in response.

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?

It's up to the OP to decide if the cost suits his budget or not.

For my two pence worth Jonathan Taylor is an EXCEPTIONAL photographer.

Is there a photography school in Pattaya

Does anyone know of a photography school in Pattaya, i just bought a Digital SLR and would like to learn to use properly. :o

There is no need to quote this. Thank you. We can all read BTW :D

Like I said in the other forum .. you are a spammer. The mod's should boot you ASAP. If you want to sell your extremely overpriced photo tour, become a paid sponsor

The question was "Photography School" and the answer was given, so lets keep it to that, if you please. The other forum I closed and for booting out our new members, that is not up to me. :D

How about you "McLovin" posting some of your photos on this forum for us to evaluate :D

Yours truly

Kan Win :D

this jonathan guy strikes me as a shameless self-promoter with the talent of an average commercial photographer.

(says who? says me.... 20 years professional advertising photographer, bron, swimming pool anyone?, sinar, 5x4, 5x7, 10x8, blad yadaa yadaa etc..............)

I too live in Pattaya and recently got a DSLR, Canon EOS 400D with a Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 and Canon 50mm 1.8. If anyone else around here would like to meet up and go shoot things, send me a pm. It's my first DSLR and I'm still learning the basics.

I should never Google my own name fed up, or after too many drinks. Now that is sad but not as sad as writing a plug for your own photography school and pretending you are someone else. That wasn't me guv honest.

But still I felt I should address the fact that I am not The Vulcan. Not often you can get to say that eh! Thanks for the praise and the mention by the way- probably didn't go down as well as you expected though eh?

....urm I have no worries about being called average but I wish I was more 'commercial'. My pictures may be a bit too harsh for that title and I can't take pictures of spas so well. Commercial photography is still a vibrant industry, social documentary photography is a labour of love nowadays.

This looks like a rather handy forum, so I am to come across it again.

No real offence taken by the way, I actually kind of found this thread amusing.

Cheers,

Jonathan

• 1 month later...
I was looking to find a Digital SLR, something slightly better than an entry level one, was considering the Nikkon D300, have you had any experience with this camera?

The D300 might be considered overkill for a starter. Consider the D60 which is a fraction of the cost. Invest some money in lenses that you can also use on the 300. A year from now there will be a newer verion of the 300 and you might be ready for it then and you will have the 60 as a travel and backup camera. The D300 is a beast to carry around. I have my much lighter and economical D60 with me on the street in BKK right now. I have a D300 at home and a D80. For a year or more you will not appreciate the upgrade to the 300.

These shots all with D60 in Thailand http://picasaweb.google.com/lymanduggan/My...PhotosFrom2008#

digital photography is kinda harder to get a good photo coz you dont have a choice of film and processing.

play around, do heaps.....................

Any good book on SLR will give you the features, no matter whether film or digital.

IMHO Digital is easier.

You can change ISO without having to change film. :D

Processing, well checkout Photoshop and the like, for all the

features you could only have dreamed of with a full darkroom setup.

I agree with playing, and experimenting.

Again a joy in digital with instant results to see. :o

• 13 years later...