Motorcycle Registration

Amsterdam

Hello all,

I need some advice motorcycle registration

I will soon be purchasing a second hand motorcycle in pattaya. The bike will be under my wife name. I have two questions.

1) Where in Pattaya can we change the ownership from the current owner to the new owner and what is required for this?

2) I will be bringing the bike from Pattaya to Buriram and I plan to change the plates. do I need to do anything In Pattaya before changing plates in Buriram? Maybe deregister in Pattaya? How dos this work?

Thanks for any advise on this.

Amsterdam

I tried to get my Thai wife to read the inside covers of the "Green" owner's book to see if it explains the process of changing owners.

The best she could explain to me is this:

The current owner must give the new owner a receipt showing the sale and price. This "bill of sale" must be signed and dated by the seller.

The new owner and the seller bring the bike to the Land Transport office for inspection of the "vin" number of the bike.

The new owner must pay the compulsory insurance for the bike

The Land Transport office will check the seller's ID and the buyer's ID. If 2 Thais then a simple ID card check.

The office will make the necessary changes to the book.

The number plate will stay on the bike as we believe it makes no difference. We think if you want a new number plate that this can be done later in the province where the bike "lives".

We also believe this can be done via a bike shop dealer but the book will still have to go to the local Land Transport office for updating. And of course the dealer will want a service fee. This method will for sure take a few days.

>>

if u know where

apply drivinglicence.

from pattaya to bkk direction

sukhumvit road

turn right to

rayong way.

u will see the place

on the right ,dont

go 300 / hour

like thais try.

u turn and there u are .<<

When he drives on route 36 towards Rayong he will see the Regency school on the right .After the school he needs to do a U turn ,come back and take the first left after the school .On this minor road he should keep to the left and he will find it after 100 meters .

Edited by Thaifan2

The change of ownership can be done at the licencing centre out of Pattaya where the previous and new owners need to be present, if you cannot do it that way then do the change of ownership in Burriram.

Times do change and maybe these days the previous owner only has to sign some sort of document as issued by the ministry.

To register the bike to the new area needs to be done in Chonburi and information on how to do that can be obtained at the driving and vehile licencing centre.

As far as i am aware you are legaly bound to have your bike plate correspond with the area it will be ridden in.

I shipped my bike from phuket 5-years ago to Pattaya and after seeing every other bike not registered to pattaya i never bothered. It was explained to me by a Thai female that the police will not stop a farang but will do so with a Thai riding a bike with plates from another region.

There is an MOT garage on the Sukhumit highway i use on the north bound side past the BUPA office just beyond Pattaya north road, its on the left hand side a short drive past the BUPA office.

They will do everything for a small fee.

Below is directions to the centre as posted on the forum some time ago.

Vehicle and licencing centre.

The office is about 18kms from Pattaya.

Travel north from Pattaya in the direction of Lam Chabang.

Look for an 'overpass' bridge as your leaving Pattaya on the Sukhumvit highway, you need to

pass 'under' the over-bridge turning right sign-posted 'route 36 to Rayong'.

After about 10-12 kms you will see the 'Regents school' over on your right hand side, the road you need is just after the school heading back to Pattaya so you need to do a 'U-turn' just beyond the school.

A short way past the school is a place where you can safely make a 'U-turn'.

Drive past the school which is now on your left, about 200 metres past the school turn sharp left at a narrow road poorly sign-posted and party hidden.

Follow this road for about three hundred metres until you come to a row of shops on your left offering photo-copying, food, insurance, etc.

Facing the shops is the licencing centre - with two entrances/exits (use the second entrance).

You are now at the 'Eastern Verification Center' office.

Vehicle documentation is Ground Floor, Driving Licences

upstairs.

Open Monday - Friday 0830 to 1600.

Most sellers nowadays just sign the bill of sale (contract), the green book (has to be signed by the seller at the appropriate place) and a power of attorney allowing anyone to complete the sale at the vehicle registration office without the seller being present. Present all papers and the bike

If buying a second hand bike in a shop, then the shop will already obtained the power of attorney from the previous owner, otherwise they would not be able to sell on. If you move to Buriram, the only advantage of transferring the plates would be if you plan to sell the bike there. Transfer can only be done where the bike is registered.

There is no problem whatsoever for the yearly road tax and technical check up, regardless of where the bike is registered.

• 11 months later...
I tried to get my Thai wife to read the inside covers of the "Green" owner's book to see if it explains the process of changing owners.

The best she could explain to me is this:

The current owner must give the new owner a receipt showing the sale and price. This "bill of sale" must be signed and dated by the seller.

The new owner and the seller bring the bike to the Land Transport office for inspection of the "vin" number of the bike.

The new owner must pay the compulsory insurance for the bike

The Land Transport office will check the seller's ID and the buyer's ID. If 2 Thais then a simple ID card check.

The office will make the necessary changes to the book.

The number plate will stay on the bike as we believe it makes no difference. We think if you want a new number plate that this can be done later in the province where the bike "lives".

We also believe this can be done via a bike shop dealer but the book will still have to go to the local Land Transport office for updating. And of course the dealer will want a service fee. This method will for sure take a few days.

...Thai persons ID and sometimes they want the Thai persons birth certificate. You aLSO have to submit proof of residence which you must bring a copy of your residential rental agreement to Soi 5 immigration - pay 400 baht (must be a thousand by now would be a typical guess) 2 passport photos.

pick up the document the next day and take it to the dealer. It then takes 1 MONTH for the dealer to mail the green book to the (land transport office?) and come back with your name and passport number printed as the most recent owner on the farthest blank page toward the back of the green book.

A certficate of residence is not now 1k, or 400 baht, it is in fact free, as in no charge, they ask for 200 baht, but its only a request for a tip. Check the fee schedule at the front door, there is no mention of a charge for a certificate of residence, because there is no charge. You might need to politely remind them that paying the 200 baht requested tip is up to you.

Most sellers nowadays just sign the bill of sale (contract), the green book (has to be signed by the seller at the appropriate place) and a power of attorney allowing anyone to complete the sale at the vehicle registration office without the seller being present. Present all papers and the bike

If buying a second hand bike in a shop, then the shop will already obtained the power of attorney from the previous owner, otherwise they would not be able to sell on. If you move to Buriram, the only advantage of transferring the plates would be if you plan to sell the bike there. Transfer can only be done where the bike is registered.

There is no problem whatsoever for the yearly road tax and technical check up, regardless of where the bike is registered.

Transfer can be done anywhere as long as you can wait for the paperwork to be sent through.

I know this as my current bike was registered in Bangkok but sold and bought in a southern province. It's just a paper-trail back to Bangkok and away again.

OP it might be better for the bike to be in your name...