Mobile Phone And Gps...

gobs

Hi all,

I feel a little confused with the datas of mobile phones... and would like to get your advices.

I have no clue in this matter...

Well, I would like to get a handled GPS map system to go by walk, motorcycle or car. Just to have the maps displayed from the place where I am now and find my way further easily.

So friends said to go for a Garmin C60S or C60XS... So I checked and wow!, what a beast for the trivial use I'm going to have with this!

By the other hand, I'm going to change my mobile phone, and I heard and read that some mobile phones have this GPS map function... but I don't know (understand) exactly how they work and how accurate they are. So I actually can't make a choice.

Furthermore, I would like the followings from this "new" mobile:

- Phoning, surely,

- GPS map,

- Camera,

- Large screen,

- MP3

- And strong/reliable!

What brand/model could be a "good" choice, please?

Is there differences in coverage/accuracy between the providers, DTAC, AIS, TRUE, etc? Which one should be the "best one" to cover the whole Thailand? Some says DTAC is very efficient...

Well I hope I'm clear in my request...

Thanks in advance for your thougts and advices,

Gobs

Hi all,

I feel a little confused with the datas of mobile phones... and would like to get your advices.

I have no clue in this matter...

Well, I would like to get a handled GPS map system to go by walk, motorcycle or car. Just to have the maps displayed from the place where I am now and find my way further easily.

So friends said to go for a Garmin C60S or C60XS... So I checked and wow!, what a beast for the trivial use I'm going to have with this!

The Garmin C60S/C60XS are dedicated GPS devices for trekking, hiking, etcetera

By the other hand, I'm going to change my mobile phone, and I heard and read that some mobile phones have this GPS map function... but I don't know (understand) exactly how they work and how accurate they are. So I actually can't make a choice.

Furthermore, I would like the followings from this "new" mobile:

- Phoning, surely,

- GPS map,

- Camera,

- Large screen,

- MP3

- And strong/reliable!

What brand/model could be a "good" choice, please?

Nokia has several types with GSM ability. Have a look here: http://www.tohome.com/catalog.aspx?catalog_id=543&page=3 such as the Nokia 6210 Navigator (Black), Nokia E66 (G.Steel), Nokia E71 (Gray) and many more. Nokia Mobile Phones come standard with GPS Nokia Maps 2.0.

Is there differences in coverage/accuracy between the providers, DTAC, AIS, TRUE, etc? Which one should be the "best one" to cover the whole Thailand? Some says DTAC is very efficient...

If you don't use A-GPS (GPS assisted by the GSM network, cost money) the provider is not important.

Well I hope I'm clear in my request...

Thanks in advance for your thougts and advices,

Gobs

I have a Nokia E71-1 for three months now and am using it with Garmin Mobile XT and Thailand Street Map V8.1. I am very happy with it.

Screenshot0007.jpg

Screenshot0008.jpg

Edited by aidenai

I have the 6210 Navigator, it does all the things you have on your wish list and so far I am pleased with it, although battery life seems a bit short. Even without using the GPS function, just as a phone it is difficult to go 2 days with recharging it.

Thanks friends for the help...

Thanks aidenai for the wink with the map of Chiang Mai...

About the provider, please, which one(s) should be the best adapted? And about the contract: pre-payed or post-payed?

Actually I'm going with pre-payed cards bought in 7/11. Is it as well for this new use?..

Cheers,

Gobs

Thanks a lot to all... Your advices are very useful to me!

So, AIS pre-paid (sorry for the mistakes, I'm not a native english speaker, and... woops!), meaning the cards one can find everywhere like in 7/11, isn't it?

Please, new Q: if I am on the road somewhere between, let us say, Chiang Mai and Bangkok, and I want to know where I am or where I have to go at the next cross-roads, is it working? Or the GPS/phone only displays the cities?

Searching here and there, I think I'm going for a Nokia 6210 Navigator or a E 66...

Maybe I'll have a jump tomorrow to Panthip Plaza here in CNX and have a look...

Cheers,

Gobs

Gobs, a navigation system works as follows: The moment you turn on the GPSr (GPS receiver), it fixes your position with at least four satellites. Let's say you are on Si Phum Road in Chang Mai. You can see your position on the map. The typical accuracy of a GPS enabled mobile is between 25 - 100 metres. In the search menu of the GPS program you type the place where you want to go. Let's say, Victory Monument in Bangkok. It will take 5-20 seconds to calculate the route. From that moment on, your mobile phone tells you (when "voice" is enabled) how to drive. It will say, "in 100 metres, turn left", "turn left", etcetera. It will do this until you reach your destination. All the way you will see your current position on the display.

Follow the links to the several websites to learn more:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/gps/work.html

http://europe.nokia.com/A4997093

http://www8.garmin.com/mobile/sprint-nextel/index.jsp

aidenai is correct with how the system will work for you, however the 6210 only comes with 6 months free of the voice guidance feature. After that you need to pay a yearly fee for this service. The maps and GPS function will still work if you do not renew, just the turn by turn function will not work.....or at least that is what I think will happen, my 6 months are not up yet :o

Edited by CDNinKS

aidenai is correct with how the system will work for you, however the 6210 only comes with 6 months free of the voice guidance feature. After that you need to pay a yearly fee for this service. The maps and GPS function will still work if you do not renew, just the turn by turn function will not work.....or at least that is what I think will happen, my 6 months is not up yet :o

That is correct CDNinKS. Thanks for mentioning it. Several other Nokia types such as the E66, E71, etcetera come with a 3 month free guidance feature only. I chose for Garmin Mobile XT with Thailand StreetMap V8.1. because it is much more detailed, has much more features and .....it is free of any subscription. The map is the same as the dedicated Garmin GPSr-s in Thailand use. Garmins such as the Nuvi 200, 205, etcetera.

A little bit off-topic but another Garmin related program I like to share with you is Garmin Camera. This program uses your built-in photo camera and connects to the GPSr. It saves the picture in the regular way but also stores the position where the picture is taken. You can instantly see on the Garmin map where that picture is taken.

Screenshot0004.jpg

Screenshot0005.jpg

Edited by aidenai

I chose for Garmin Mobile XT with Thailand StreetMap V8.1. because it is much more detailed, has much more features and .....it is free of any subscription.

Can you elaborate on this? Is this free software? Did you uninstall the Nokia maps? Can it be set as the default map, or do you need to access it separately?

thanks

I chose for Garmin Mobile XT with Thailand StreetMap V8.1. because it is much more detailed, has much more features and .....it is free of any subscription.

Can you elaborate on this? Is this free software? Did you uninstall the Nokia maps? Can it be set as the default map, or do you need to access it separately?

thanks

You don't have to uninstall Nokia Maps (i.e. you can't uninstall Nokia Maps, it's in the firmware). They are two separate GPS programs. You can even run them at the same time.

About Garmin Mobile XT, google around with searching for "Nokia 6210 and Garmin Mobile XT".

Cheers, aidenai

Hi all,

I finally went for a Nokia 6210 on yesterday. I've to learn a lot about it but I think it's a wise choice... Let's go and see.

Here and there many pros and cons the Nokia Navigation System... as well as many pros and cons the Garmin GPS. It depends of the use I suppose...

On the Garmin site in US I saw a monthly subscription (of about $ 10) for the use of the Garmin Mobile XT mapping...

Here in Thailand, every time you use the Nokia system, you have to pay 1 Baht per min to AIS, the transmission provider. But with their special GPRS/Internet packages you get for example 20 hours/month for 100 Bahts (0,09 B/min), or 100 hours/month for 350 Bahts (0,06 B/min)...

Thanks to all and to aidenai in particular.

I have a lot of homework now with my new 6210!

:o

Cheers,

Gobs

Hi all,

I finally went for a Nokia 6210 on yesterday. I've to learn a lot about it but I think it's a wise choice... Let's go and see.

Here and there many pros and cons the Nokia Navigation System... as well as many pros and cons the Garmin GPS. It depends of the use I suppose...

On the Garmin site in US I saw a monthly subscription (of about $ 10) for the use of the Garmin Mobile XT mapping...

Here in Thailand, every time you use the Nokia system, you have to pay 1 Baht per min to AIS, the transmission provider. But with their special GPRS/Internet packages you get for example 20 hours/month for 100 Bahts (0,09 B/min), or 100 hours/month for 350 Bahts (0,06 B/min)...

Thanks to all and to aidenai in particular.

I have a lot of homework now with my new 6210!

:o

Cheers,

Gobs

Gobs, congratulations with your Nokia 6210.

Your GPS system has several positioning methods. Two of them are Assisted GPS (A-GPS) and Integrated GPS. These methods are for the satellite connection fix. A-GPS uses the GSM network to fix the GPS position and can take less than 30 seconds. It costs money but the advantage is that the gps system connects faster. When you use integrated GPS, it does not connect to the GSM network. Depending on where you are it will take 40 seconds to three minutes to fix the position.

Cheers, Ai

GPS was accurate to 100m back in the last century before the Clinton administration turned off Selective Availability. These days one can expect 15m or better.

Actually the normally accepted accuracy is 3 metres.......as you will see when using your new 6210 in "walk" mode.

Accuracy down to less than a metre is accomplished by the use of differential GPS signals broadcast from earth stations. Basically an earth station is surveyed in to a know accurate location, that station receives the GPS signals from the satellites, calculates the error, and then broadcasts a correction signal to a suitably equipped GPS receiver. These systems are used in a number of applications, including crop spraying aircraft, aircraft instrument landing systems and of course getting a cruise missile down an elevator shaft :o

Edited by CDNinKS