How Much Connection Time B/t Flights?

chinofarang

sawasdee!

i am flyin into swampbunny on 2nd of jan, 09 if things don't go more sideways on cathy pacific. i get in around 1130 am and am wondering how much time i will need with immigration and all to connect with a chaing mai connection on thai airways? i recall but am not sure that i won't have to go through regular immigration if i have verification (ticket) showing a connection but i want to make sure that i allow for all possible snafus.

thanks to everyone on this great forum and i hope that things straighten out soon.

sawasdee!

i am flyin into swampbunny on 2nd of jan, 09 if things don't go more sideways on cathy pacific. i get in around 1130 am and am wondering how much time i will need with immigration and all to connect with a chaing mai connection on thai airways? i recall but am not sure that i won't have to go through regular immigration if i have verification (ticket) showing a connection but i want to make sure that i allow for all possible snafus.

thanks to everyone on this great forum and i hope that things straighten out soon.

You should allow for a minimum of 1h00 between flights

Your bags should go through to CNX (make sure at CX check-in time)

I would allow 1h30 at least

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
sawasdee!

Good luck

thanks, krub for the prompt answer and info. i just booked through thai airways a flight from bkk to chiang mai leaving around 2pm and getting in at 300pm. the next day, they informed me that that flight was no longer leaving from bkk but from don muang. there are 2 other alternatives from swampbunny. a flight leaving at 12:55pm and one leaving at 515 pm. since my flight on cathy from l.a. comes in at 11:30am, the 515pm means almost 6 hours at the airport a late hotel search in chiang mai but pretty much a flight i can't miss. with the current situation at bkk, would it be reasonable to try for the 12:55 flight? it gives a 1 and 20 minute cushion to make it to the connection.

sorry to ask again but just a little unsure about it still.

khap!

sawasdee!

Good luck

thanks, krub for the prompt answer and info. i just booked through thai airways a flight from bkk to chiang mai leaving around 2pm and getting in at 300pm. the next day, they informed me that that flight was no longer leaving from bkk but from don muang. there are 2 other alternatives from swampbunny. a flight leaving at 12:55pm and one leaving at 515 pm. since my flight on cathy from l.a. comes in at 11:30am, the 515pm means almost 6 hours at the airport a late hotel search in chiang mai but pretty much a flight i can't miss. with the current situation at bkk, would it be reasonable to try for the 12:55 flight? it gives a 1 and 20 minute cushion to make it to the connection.

khap!

I would risk it if it is a Thai Airways flight (TG) as you will not need to pick-up your bags and go through the 'normal Immigration and customs at Bangkok.

sawasdee!

Good luck

khap!

I would risk it if it is a Thai Airways flight (TG) as you will not need to pick-up your bags and go through the 'normal Immigration and customs at Bangkok.

does it make a difference if i am coming into bkk on cathy pacific and connecting on thai airways to chiang mai? have you heard of many incoming delays and on time problems at swampbunny? so just check my bags in los angeles straight through to chiang mai.

khap khun khap, khun krub!

Arriving on Cathay will surely mean you'll have to retrieve your bags, go through immigration and check back in for the local flight on Thai. I say you need a minimum of 2 hours and an extra hour if you have to change airports.

No this is not true. Interline bags from Cathay to Thai Airways Chiang Mai is possible

Arriving on Cathay will surely mean you'll have to retrieve your bags, go through immigration and check back in for the local flight on Thai. I say you need a minimum of 2 hours and an extra hour if you have to change airports.

No this is not true. Interline bags from Cathay to Thai Airways Chiang Mai is possible

Fine if it is possible, but wouldn't you still have to deal with immigration and if the Thai flights are going from Don Muang, then I'm not sure how long I would leave it to trust them to transfer my baggage.

Fine if it is possible, but wouldn't you still have to deal with immigration and if the Thai flights are going from Don Muang, then I'm not sure how long I would leave it to trust them to transfer my baggage.

The OP said his flight was leaving from Swampy,he only have just over 1h30

His bags will be transferred and he will go through customs in Chiang Mai

Immigration is in Bangkok but at a different section within the transit area

This is NOT possible with Air Asia

The OP said his flight was leaving from Swampy,he only have just over 1h30

His bags will be transferred and he will go through customs in Chiang Mai

Immigration is in Bangkok but at a different section within the transit area

This is NOT possible with Air Asia

from what i can gather from all the replies back is that i will be able to check my bag from los angeles to chiang mai straight through and bypass the regular immigration cue by heading up (or down) to my connection to thai airways where there is a immigration desk for connection flights. this is fesible within the 1 and 25 minutes from arrival swampy on cathy pacific to my connection on thai at swampy.

thanks again to khun krub and terrenova for the valuable insight.