Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

I've just been said that both airports have already restarted operatiing. The guy who said it to me is a chief editor of a local magazine here, a farang. Does anybody know anything?...

Isnt ther some deal to allow stranded planes to be flown out but empty?

Yes exactly.

Should have been done days ago too.

Well I was hoping this would pop up on the news:

BREAKING NEWS: Chamlong Says PAD Supporters Not to Stay Overnight at Government House

UPDATE : 1 December 2008

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang has announced that no PAD supporters will be allowed to stay overnight at Government House for safety reasons.

The protesters who wish to spend the night they will be transported to Suvarnabhumi Airport or Don Muang Airport. No one will be allowed to spend the night at the Government House. They will still be permitted to attend the rally and listen to the speakers and various programs on the stage at the government seat during the day.

So with less than 24 hours left to go to the Court hearing, things are starting to close down...

All the guards at Government House are leaving as well.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Royal Thai police are a joke!!!! They went in to remove the PAD from Suvarnabhumi and what happened, the PAD ended up raiding the police trucks and taking their riot gear. The Thai police force is going to be the laughing stock if the law enforcement community if they can't control the situation. We need to get Batman to take of the PAD, atleast he won't back down hahaha.

Oh Somchai should just quit, he freaking ego is just making the situtaion worse, he obviously has no control of our country which is in chaos now.

The Thai Police Force is going to be the laughing stock of the law enforcement community? Hah! Who says it hasn't been that for...well, for a thousand years.

Here in China the Chinese ask me about (my ten years in) Thailand. I tell the Chinese that the Thais are incompetent, inept, disorganized; that Thais cannot transition from the Old Word to the New World--that Thais simply can't quit their antiquated and decrepit ways.

The Chinese regard the Thais as fools. They're just not sure how the Thais got that way or why, especially to the present extent of being incapable of governing themselves or of organizing their society. So I'm more than willing to discuss it.

I'd say that eccentric, egocentric ethnocentrism is a good starting point.

Come on, are you serious?

You have no business even commenting on this forum. You should be banned.

Thaksin and his crowd would ban both you and I, not to mention this entire forum itself.

I disagree with the Chinese intellectuals with whom I work and know here in China. They, the CCP and others in China regard the PAD and others of the anti-TRT etc crowd as anti-Chinese, as rejecting the Sino-Thai. That's the prevailing view I get here in China. You want to ban that communication to you, go ahead.

Chinese ask me about Thailand because they know that, until the past January, I spent ten consecutive years in Thailand (teaching English, Social Sciences, History).

The Chinese would like a People's Republic of Thailand, led by the Sino-Thais, which then would become a close ally of China.

If one doesn't like the message, I guess there's plenty of historical precedent one could follow as to the messenger...

Edited by Publicus

I've just been said that both airports have already restarted operatiing. The guy who said it to me is a chief editor of a local magazine here, a farang. Does anybody know anything?...

Yes exactly.

BREAKING NEWS: Chamlong Says PAD Supporters Not to Stay Overnight at Government House

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang has announced that no PAD supporters will be allowed to stay overnight at Government House for safety reasons.

The protesters who wish to spend the night they will be transported to Suvarnabhumi Airport or Don Muang Airport. No one will be allowed to spend the night at the Government House. They will still be permitted to attend the rally and listen to the speakers and various programs on the stage at the government seat during the day.

So with less than 24 hours left to go to the Court hearing, things are starting to close down...

Yes. Leaving for Swampy, however.

From day 1 I have predicted that PAD will move all the people from GH to Swampy. Do you know how wet and cold it was sleeping at the GH on a rainny night. Not to mention smelly mobile toilets.

Chamlong couldn't hold back the exodus of people to a place of more confort. This is just human nature. Swampy is the perfect place to camp out for the rich and elite. Most of then have a ROP gold card which entitle them to the Airport first and business class lounges. Even without lounge access, staying dry at night in a climate control hall beats weathering the rain under a tent.

The PAD protest at Don Muang Airport is said to be less tense today as the level of violence dropped with only one round of gunfire last night due to the joint patrol of the rally site between PAD volunteer guards and the police.

Moreover, the decision to cut down on speeches and broadcast the activities from the PAD stage at Government House also helped lessen the stress of the protesters. The protesters said they like it this way as they felt united in the anti-government fight with protesters at other rally sites.

Blankets have been distributed to the protesters as the temperature drops, particularly at night and early morning.

Yes exactly.

Yes. Leaving for Swampy, however.

From day 1 I have predicted that PAD will move all the people from GH to Swampy. Do you know how wet and cold it was sleeping at the GH on a rainny night. Not to mention smelly mobile toilets.

Chamlong couldn't hold back the exodus of people to a place of more confort. This is just human nature. Swampy is the perfect place to camp out for the rich and elite. Most of then have a ROP gold card which entitle them to the Airport first and business class lounges. Even without lounge access, staying dry at night in a climate control hall beats weathering the rain under a tent.

I believe it is a short distance from Government House to the Constitutional Court....The UDD is planning protest there tomorrow morning...better to be out of harms way...

Smart Move

Perhaps the moving out of GH is to do with Chamlongs talks with the police chief. He agrees to move them out at night, police agree not to step in and take over while they are gone? (even though it would be the PERFECT opportunity to take back this government building to the government)

Did word of a pending crackdown at GH get out?

The fact is that no one wanted to go to GH anymore. Everyone prefers the more comfortable Swampy. Chamlong announced that just to safe face.

"We abandon it, NOT that no supporters are willy to come anymore."

What is going to happen to the street vendors that make a living in GH carnival fair ground? Have they move their shops to Swampy already? In the past, I sometime go to do night shopping at GH. However I am too afraid to venture into Swampy to take a look.

Steve2k ---

the personal body guards of the PAD leaders are paid. Keep up :o

I'll give Animatic this: in a discussion that was always bound to generate increasingly more heat than light, he continues to explain his views and give reasoned arguments and facts in support of them. Whether or not I agree with them, I respect them and learn from what he says. On the other hand, there are others here who - having been picked up on false/exaggerated claims/statements from which they wriggle away without valid comment or acknowledgement - descend to just verbal antics and mocking..............

Back on Page 57 (Post 1418), there was a neat - and very relevant to this discussion - list of tests for "Groupthink". How about you take 5 minutes off from your antics to look through them and then say which of them doesn't apply to you - and why?

1. Illusions of invulnerability creating excessive optimism and encouraging risk taking.

2. Rationalising warnings that might challenge the group's assumptions.

3. Unquestioned belief in the morality of the group, causing members to ignore the consequences of their actions.

4. Stereotyping those who are opposed to the group as weak, evil, disfigured, impotent, or stupid.

5. Direct pressure to conform placed on any member who questions the group, couched in terms of "disloyalty".

6. Self censorship of ideas that deviate from the apparent group consensus.

7. Illusions of unanimity among group members, silence is viewed as agreement.

8. Mindguards — self-appointed members who shield the group from dissenting information.

IMO, it would also be productive for Plus, TAWP and some others in the Pro-PAD camp to do the same - just as it would for various pro-PPP die-hards on here. As to the "Rambo" element........... it looks like there's way too much heat here for any light to reach them. I see we've already passed "2 legs bad, 4 legs good" - so not far to go before we get to "some animals are more equal than others". Then again, 70% appointed and 30% elected? Seems we're already there, too.........

Regarding your comment: "personal bodyguards" = all "guards" now?

This just posted by Reuters... Sorry, but anyone bnooked to travel for the next 9 days is not going to like reading this...

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Restarting Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport will take at least a week from the end of the current sit-in by protesters because of security and IT system checks, airport general manager Serirat Prasutanond said on Monday.

"Normally, checking the IT systems takes one week. We have to check, recheck, check, recheck," Serirat told Reuters, adding that the delay would be even longer if any of the airport's massive computer systems needed repair.

"I think some systems are damaged," he said, but he declined to provide further details.

Once Airports of Thailand, the site's operator, was satisfied that everything was working as it should, it would invite the Department of Civil Aviation and airline representatives to do their own checks, Serirat said.

It is not known how long those third-party checks will take.

The closure of the $4 billion, 125,000 passenger-a-day airport since Tuesday has stranded thousands of foreign tourists and is threatening the tourism- and export-driven economy with billions of dollars of damage.

The misery is being compounded by the parallel closure by protesters of Bangkok's Don Muang airport, which served as the capital's main air hub until Suvarnabhumi's opening in September 2006 and is still important as a domestic hub.

Serirat did not talk about Don Muang.

Some international flights are now departing via U-Tapao, a Vietnam War-era military airfield 150 km (90 miles) southeast of Bangkok.

The other options for travelers trying to get flights out of the country are via Chiang Mai, 700 km (435 miles) to the north, or Phuket, 900 km (560 miles) to the south.

Some are also driving overland to Cambodia to get flights out of Siem Reap or Phnom Penh.

(Reporting by Ed Cropley; Editing by Alan Raybould)

I believe it is a short distance from Government House to the Constitutional Court....The UDD is planning protest there tomorrow morning...better to be out of harms way...

Smart Move

If I am UDD leader. I will lead my people to capture GH tonight. It make sense. I am sure UDD have figured that out already. So is PAD, hence the move. Most PAD are in Swampy. Not many is left to defence GH.

Edited by GlenOrd

Perhaps the moving out of GH is to do with Chamlongs talks with the police chief. He agrees to move them out at night, police agree not to step in and take over while they are gone? (even though it would be the PERFECT opportunity to take back this government building to the government)

Does it also follow that if they arrive at the airport,they also have an agreement with the police,which would allow them to enter?

Things are moving along at a frightfully slow pace. Who would have thought that the airport/s would still be closed after a full week?

I'm starting to question whether or not I'll be able to take a December 19 flight out.

1. Illusions of invulnerability creating excessive optimism and encouraging risk taking.

3. Unquestioned belief in the morality of the group, causing members to ignore the consequences of their actions.

4. Stereotyping those who are opposed to the group as weak, evil, disfigured, impotent, or stupid.

5. Direct pressure to conform placed on any member who questions the group, couched in terms of "disloyalty".

6. Self censorship of ideas that deviate from the apparent group consensus.

8. Mindguards — self-appointed members who shield the group from dissenting information.

Scary. I hope this is not Jonestown II http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

good to see reports on the Nation that the thai stock market has opened up today. it closed lower in Australia today, and we have fully functioning transportation system.

Amazing Thailand

Maybe if we close down the airports some good may come of it. The market might rally :o

Cheers.

If I am UDD leader. I will lead my people to capture GH tonight. It make sense. I am sure UDD have figured that out already. So is PAD, hence the move. Most PAD are in Swampy. Not many is left to defence GH.

I believe the Police will not allow that building to set open and un-attended tonight....All PAD guards will be withdrawn as well.

A secondary reason being with 50 people that were just laying around or sleeping to be wounded by the M79 grenade on the roof last night, it is anything but a secure facility.

From the live shots a few hours ago, looks to be maybe 300 or so people.

The order was not optional....go to DM, Swampy, or go home, come back tomorrow if you want.

\

8. Mindguards — self-appointed members who shield the group from dissenting information.[/i]

Regarding your comment: "personal bodyguards" = all "guards" now?

great post!

Does it also follow that if they arrive at the airport,they also have an agreement with the police,which would allow them to enter?

Don't be so naive. PAD control who gets in and out. Not the police.

If the protest continue, I guess that they will abandon Don Muang as well, as their supporter number are falling. Of cause Chamlong will say something like: "We take pity of the Thai people, hence we will allow one airport to be open", jus to save face.

However, Swampy is a prize. Hold on to it at all cost.

Thai Rath : Thaksin in Koh Kong

Posted by Bangkok Pundit | 12/01/2008 09:30:00 AM

The lead article on Thai Rath is that Thaksin is in Koh Kong, Cambodia to monitor the situation. Senior ex-TRT people and PPP executives, about 1o people, went to visit Thaksin. Thaksin is moving around and is close to the border.

Source:

http://www.thairath.com/offline.php?sectio...;content=113454

Edited by rainman

Some clips from my after lunchs newspaper round

* Increase in crime rates with PAD. No PAD, no bombs.

Pol Maj-Gen Chakthip said attempts to investigate bomb attacks against the PAD have been made difficult by the anti-government group's reluctance to cooperate fully with police. "On one occasion, a bomb exploded at 3am, but investigators were not allowed in to the blast scene until 10am," he said.
He dismissed speculation by the PAD that M79 grenades fired by police were the cause of Pol Lt-Col Methee's death.

Generally, this grenade would leave shrapnel in the body of the vehicle when it explodes, but none was found on the wrecked jeep, he said. Besides, explosives from C-4 to TNT were found inside his vehicle, Pol Maj-Gen Chakthip added.

* The peacefull demonstrations continue:

Supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) opened fire on a broadcast van belonging to TrueVisions' TNN news station at Suvarnabhumi airport yesterday.
Earlier in the morning, two PAD supporters forced Nattawut Kranyasophon, a reporter from Ban Mueang newspaper, to take off a T-shirt bearing the slogan "Stop Violence".

* What happens when PPP get dissolved? New party ready to take over:

The Puea Thai party, a replacement for the ruling People Power party in the event it is dissolved, will hold a general assembly on Friday to elect its leader.

Thaksin will still be in the shadows:

Former supreme commander and army chief Chaisit Shinawatra, who is a cousin of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's younger sister, have emerged as the strongest contenders.

Will this trigget a new election? Will the parlament be able to rule by law without PPP (sorry, english is not my native language, so I'm struggling to find the right phrases for politics)? Is a possible outcome that the democrat party will decide the parlament have enough MP's and set up a government and rule for the reminder of this period? TPT will most likely not be able to form a government as long as they didnt have any candidates running in the last election.

The lead article on Thai Rath is that Thaksin is in Koh Kong, Cambodia to monitor the situation. Senior ex-TRT people and PPP executives, about 1o people, went to visit Thaksin. Thaksin is moving around and is close to the border.

Source:

Sorry don't read Thai. However interest picture. BIG FOOT seems to have been sighted again. This time he is in Bangkok supporting UDD.

Source: http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/

Shhh . . . don't tell the police. However, I'm guessing the BiB will go up to the front gate, ring the bell, try the handle, find it locked and then go home as there's obviously no way to enter the grounds of Parliament House when no-one is home.

(Edited to add source)

Edited by onlooker

Just a small misunderstanding. No one gets hurt. Bullet holes on the van can be patched. If the PAD guards intend to kill the driver, he would not live to tell the tale. Sleep over it.

I think that clears it up if they are just "peaceful protesters sitting around" as some have claimed yesterday.

These are armed terrorists who are holding 2 airports hostage.

Source:

there are some rumors that he is controlling everything himself at the moment.

there are also rumors that he want a violent clash and dismiss Anupong and some other armys at the same time, go to Chiang Mai and take over power---put in my opinion that is either wishful thinking from supporter of him or rumors to mobilize more PAD supporter....but who know....

Everything just rumors without real source....