90 Day / 6 Month Rule

On behalf of a friend who is mixed up in the present shut down at the airport.

Will the days he overstays here until he can leave the country be counted towards the 90 day limit re the 30 day tourist visa on entry he has.

He is at present on a 30 day visit and was due to fly out just before it expires but will be on overstay, looking at the information provided by the airline of at least 3 / 4 days

He has also pre booked a 30 day visit for January, then a 30 day visit for March which would have given him his allowed 90 days in 6 months.

Is there a way of getting his last planned visit in March without having to reduce his 3x30 days, should his overstay be taken into account as part of his permitted stay on the last leg.

I,ve told him the chances of getting credit for the overstay are probably NO.

As an option, when is the earliest he could re arrange his last visit to coincide with a given 6 month period please.

Thanks in advance

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Yes those days beyond his 30 days will probably count towards the 90 day limit.

Why don't they just get a 60 day tourist visa at a consulate in their home country. No border run and no need to count days. It only costs the equivelent of 1000 baht for a tourist visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

Anyone holding an air ticket that cannot travel due to the current situation will not be fined for overstay.

As Joe said those days will probably count towards the 90 days. But in the current chaos who knows.

The sixty days would have started on the day he entered this time.

Further to an updated post I made on the 26th November on a similar thread either the immigration department have installed software to allow them to see if a violation of the 90 day rule will happen OR they no longer count at all.

A couple of moderators indicated that the software was unlikely to have been installed so clearly days are no longer counted certainly in my experience.

Unlikely IMO to get credit for overstay in current situation.

Your friend could obviously obtain a tourist visa ??

Further to an updated post I made on the 26th November on a similar thread either the immigration department have installed software to allow them to see if a violation of the 90 day rule will happen OR they no longer count at all...

There have been some posts saying that immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi airport got fed up counting the days but most likely they still count at other immigration checkpoints.

--

Maestro

Further to an updated post I made on the 26th November on a similar thread either the immigration department have installed software to allow them to see if a violation of the 90 day rule will happen OR they no longer count at all...

There have been some posts saying that immigration officers at Suvarnabhumi airport got fed up counting the days but most likely they still count at other immigration checkpoints.

--

Maestro

It may well be that the economical situation that has slowed the influx of tourist down has encouraged them to overlook things for awhile /put it on unofficial hold.....................maybe ????

This was before the present situation developed and they certainly need some kind of tourists / visitors spending their baht.

Strong Baht versus many weakening currencies being a big factor IMHO prior to this.

I would not expect any "credit" or "refund" on the "90 days per six months" deal. Just unraveling the credit for overstays is going to be a headache for Immigration.

I suspect that Immigration will end up taking the easy approach and say that perhaps for the next week after flights start leaving, overstays will be ignored for anyone outbound.

It might be a good time for those people with the massive overstays to "clear the books", so to speak.

I would not expect any "credit" or "refund" on the "90 days per six months" deal. Just unraveling the credit for overstays is going to be a headache for Immigration.

I suspect that Immigration will end up taking the easy approach and say that perhaps for the next week after flights start leaving, overstays will be ignored for anyone outbound.

It might be a good time for those people with the massive overstays to "clear the books", so to speak.

Thanks for the post MJ and information.

No offence intended, but i cannot see them letting overstay other than a few days which will be determined by airline bookings on the flight ticket applicable to the period of the shut down and any ongoing period awaiting a flight allocation, within reason, time wise.

When going through Immigration it will show entry into Thailand in the passport and should also be on the computer base in many cases.

They will still be checking passports and TM cards which are issued and logged, on entry into the kingdom, plus the stamp /stamps on entry.

Anyone who cannot show the above back up will / should be duly directed to the usual place for overstay calculation re fines.

No overstay is collected if you can show a ticket out of the country for during the airport closure. They check.

Immigration states the following on its website:

According to Anti-Government Protesters blocked Suvarnabhumi Airport terminal since 26 Novermber 2008, the immigration checkpoint-Suvarnabhumi Airport could not provide visa service for entry and departure of foreigners. Some foreigners’visa might expire from this situation. Then Immigration Bureau will give exemption for those foreigners by the Immigration Act 2522 B.E.. For claiming expired visa foreigners need to present valid passports and airplane-tickets (which show departure time)