Why The Thais Are In This Situation.

BangkokBP

For those who have not yet grasped the underlying psychological reasons of the current crisis, this is a good - neutral - read.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/291108_News/29Nov2008_news19.php

/bbp

Reason for edit: Removed irrelevant personal commentary that distracted from the article in question.

Edited by BangkokBP

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who have not yet grasped the underlying psychological reasons of the current crisis, this is a good - neutral - read.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/291108_News/29Nov2008_news19.php

As Bangkok Post links die in a few days, unless you pay to read the items, here is the full article:

THE THAI PSYCHE

Thailand's messy politics: Is culture the culprit?

KAYE ELDRIDGE

The ‘‘sanuk’’ factor even in protest... An anti-government PAD protester in fancy costume waves a banner during yesterday’s demonstration at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

While Thailand spirals into further political crisis, this article examines the current situation from a cultural perspective, to reveal why Westerners might have difficulties understanding how recent political events could have transpired in a country so renowned for its easy-going nature.

Many Westerners, both inside and outside of Thailand, have been watching closely as the country falls into a deeper political mess, and they are wondering how Thais can be acting so violently against each other.

Thailand, a country once popular for its beaches, temples and carefree people, is fast becoming more well-known for its civil unrest.

Holiday-makers can no longer be sure of reliable flight arrangements and many are being warned by their governments to stay away from the country.

How has Thailand digressed so far from its reputation as a fun-loving tourist destination?

In September 2006, prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was released of his leadership through a military coup amidst allegations of corruption. Since then much has happened: consequential elections were won by the People Power party (PPP), a political grouping largely recognised as Thaksin's proxy and favoured by rural constituents; the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) subsequently began their persistent demonstrations; Samak Sundaravej then lost the PM's seat due to a cooking show and Thaksin's brother-in-law took over the seat; and demonstrators have consequently begun using more aggressive tactics.

Just to clarify my reason for posting this:

I am sure many of TV readers have noticed that there are many fellow posters who accuse Thais of being stupid, ignorant and other things.

I posted this article in a hope that they might read it and understand that there are some cultural differences that explain the psychology behind protesters and thus show more respect to a country they obviously have some interest in (why else visit this forum?), and also think twice before they write insulting posts here.

/bbp

I am sure many of TV readers have noticed that there are many fellow posters who accuse Thais of being stupid, ignorant and other things.

I posted this article in a hope that they might read it and understand that there are some cultural differences that explain the psychology behind protesters and thus show more respect to a country they obviously have some interest in (why else visit this forum?), and also think twice before they write insulting posts here.

/bbp

Um I thought about.... but in my mind they are still.... well you said it already.

What I learned from this so far is Thai people in general are as stupid and incompetent as I always suspected they were/are and I'm somebody who has spent quite and bit of time here and invested substantial amount of money also.

Once this blows over I'm considering going back to USA where as bad as it is at least my kids will get a decent education and NEVER would the airports be allowed to be blocked by protesters

RANT OVER

Um I thought about.... but in my mind they are still.... well you said it already.

If you gave it good thought already, I have no complaints. Everyone have the right to their own opinion. My hope was to add a dimension to the single minded people who posts insults without considering cultural differences.

/bbp

What I learned from this so far is Thai people in general are as stupid and incompetent as I always suspected they were/are and I'm somebody who has spent quite and bit of time here and invested substantial amount of money also.

Once this blows over I'm considering going back to USA where as bad as it is at least my kids will get a decent education and NEVER would the airports be allowed to be blocked by protesters

RANT OVER

Well, you did not add anything to the discussion but reasons to doubt your intellect.

Thank you anyway.

/bbp

Reason for edit: missed the word "add"

Edited by BangkokBP

I gor very little from the lengthy diatribes other than :

We do not like to work .

We would rather play and have fun .

Most importantly "We are always right ".

Totally agree dumball. This article is larded with such bland superficialities, basic generalizations as to be in a junior high school textbook. It says next to nothing about the current crisis. That od course might be just the reason Bangkok Post printed it …. Is Soul Searching in this Sunday’s edition?

RANT OVER

Right and your insight is very deep, are you wearing yellow today ?

Well, you did not anything to the discussion but reasons to doubt your intellect.

Thank you anyway.

/bbp

Even the most devout PAD supporter has had time to remove the rose colored glasses and take a look what is actually going on around them. Hard to justify kidnapping a police officer on live television. The misguided human shields who are being willingly held by the PAD domestic terrorist division are in harm’s way with the direct approval of PAD supporters here on TV. The romantic notion of a people’s revolution ringing in their ears while safely ensconced behind their computer in the safety of their home. All pretty sickening really. Ruining the economy and holding transportation hubs cannot be reconciled.

It doesn’t matter who you blame or why. The terrorist tactics employed by the PAD include whipping up popular support for the movement are classic and are working on the simple minds of the masses. The physiological component foisted on the easily deceived clearly is working. I hope after this is all over the zealots here can reflect on their thoughts and writings. Only through critical analysis will those who were so easily manipulated learn from the experience and not be so easily fooled next time by popular rhetoric from a terrorist organization.

Good luck!

/bbp

I think it's perfectly reasonable to understand these cultural differences, and still to be highly critical of them using as a yardstick the fucntioning of a democracy in the 21st century.

Even the most devout PAD supporter has had time to remove the rose colored glasses and take a look what is actually going on around them. Hard to justify kidnapping a police officer on live television. The misguided human shields who are being willingly held by the PAD domestic terrorist division are in harm's way with the direct approval of PAD supporters here on TV. The romantic notion of a people's revolution ringing in their ears while safely ensconced behind their computer in the safety of their home. All pretty sickening really. Ruining the economy and holding transportation hubs cannot be reconciled.

It doesn't matter who you blame or why. The terrorist tactics employed by the PAD include whipping up popular support for the movement are classic and are working on the simple minds of the masses. The physiological component foisted on the easily deceived clearly is working. I hope after this is all over the zealots here can reflect on their thoughts and writings. Only through critical analysis will those who were so easily manipulated learn from the experience and not be so easily fooled next time by popular rhetoric from a terrorist organization.

Good luck!

Off topic.

RANT OVER

So let me get this right? You invested alot of money in a country where you think people of the country in general are stupid? Very clever i must say so :o:D:D:D:D

Edited by Changkok

I think it's perfectly reasonable to understand these cultural differences, and still to be highly critical of them using as a yardstick the fucntioning of a democracy in the 21st century.

Absolutely. A willingness to understand each other is key to living peacefully together.

/bbp

RANT OVER

So let me get this right? You invested alot of money in a country where you think people of the country in general are stupid? Very clever i must say so :o:D:D:D:D

You think I'm the only one ?

Watch your country melt after this

Som Num Nah

Even the most devout PAD supporter has had time to remove the rose colored glasses and take a look what is actually going on around them. Hard to justify kidnapping a police officer on live television. The misguided human shields who are being willingly held by the PAD domestic terrorist division are in harm's way with the direct approval of PAD supporters here on TV. The romantic notion of a people's revolution ringing in their ears while safely ensconced behind their computer in the safety of their home. All pretty sickening really. Ruining the economy and holding transportation hubs cannot be reconciled.

It doesn't matter who you blame or why. The terrorist tactics employed by the PAD include whipping up popular support for the movement are classic and are working on the simple minds of the masses. The physiological component foisted on the easily deceived clearly is working. I hope after this is all over the zealots here can reflect on their thoughts and writings. Only through critical analysis will those who were so easily manipulated learn from the experience and not be so easily fooled next time by popular rhetoric from a terrorist organization.

Good luck!

Off topic.

Really! I think it speaks to the psychological factors for both Thais and non-Thais. Everyone is being manipulated IMHO but thanks for reading my rant.

RANT OVER

On the other hand, all the air traffic controllers could be sacked, which almost amounts to the same thing.

this whole situation is the struggle of the old power group to maintain their power while the new power group tries to take it away.

Perhaps, but understanding the mechanisms that make common people joining either of these groups, and are likely to be the victims if it turns bloody would perhaps make people who insult and advocate violence refrain from posting.

/bbp

I agree. The article simply explained the emotional rationale for the failings, as judged by western standards (yardsticks) - it was not a reason to excuse them.

Really! I think it speaks to the psychological factors for both Thais and non-Thais. Everyone is being manipulated IMHO but thanks for reading my rant.

Sorry, Grantbkk,

I did not read your reply thoroughly enough.

And I agree, most ARE being manipulated to some extent, and I think the rationale behind that is explained in the article posted to some extent.

/bbp

Edited by BangkokBP

RANT OVER

I might add that both sides are ignorant cannon fodder. The die hard Thai defenders on here have been here too long.

They too have lost the plot. Unfortunately, I fear wide spread violance when the cork pops in this saga.

Starting Monday night local time as the NY world markets re-open after Thanksgiving someone on here should create

a graph of two things 1) Amount of days airport closed VS decline in the Thai Bahts value.

Let the cannon fodder continue, they will anyway. Merry Christmas at 50 or more Baht vs USD. Ho! Ho! Ho1

The Thais can only blame themselves. Sanuk my arse!

:o

I might add that both sides are ignorant cannon fodder. The die hard Thai defenders on here have been here too long.

They too have lost the plot. Unfortunately, I fear wide spread violance when the cork pops in this saga.

Starting Monday night local time as the NY world markets re-open after Thanksgiving someone on here should create

a graph of two things 1) Amount of days airport closed VS decline in the Thai Bahts value.

Let the cannon fodder continue, they will anyway. Merry Christmas at 50 or more Baht vs USD. Ho! Ho! Ho1

The Thais can only blame themselves. Sanuk my arse!

:o

I have been here for over 10 years, and perhaps that is too long, and perhaps I have lost the plot. but the US$ value of the baht does not affect me directly and to me the loss of life is of importance. Wishing you a merry Christmas to you too.

/bbp

I have been here for over 10 years, and perhaps that is too long, and perhaps I have lost the plot. but the US$ value of the baht does not affect me directly and to me the loss of life is of importance. Wishing you a merry Christmas to you too.

I wish no malice against anyone, really. No matter what anyones opinions are in this tangled never ending mess is:

It is what it is. :o

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Not a bad article. However, the glaring omission, the massive glaring omission is any mention of money in the article. Short-term and long-term financial considerations figure heavily in people's decision-making and in a way differing from Western decision-making (whatever that is!).