Interested To See Where The Baht Goes Tomorrow

McLovin

I (along with many others) have copped a beating over the last few months with the depreciation of the dollar (AUD) against the Baht. EURO, GBP has also not faired well. With the problems of late, anyone have any thoughts on what the Baht might do this week?

I don't see much change. Five years ago when I first came to Thailand, it was 21 THB to the AUD. In April this year, it peaked at just over 31 - but then the AUD was almost $1 for $1 against the US dollar. The AUD is hanging around 65c to the USD. Unless it appreciates strongly, I think we are looking at the low 20s for the foreseeable future.

Logically - with the mess Thailand is in, it should be a lot higher - but I am budgeting on 22 baht to the AUD for the next 6 months.

Peter

I wonder how long it will take for this situation to bankrupt the country. The exchange rates may be a good barometer of this. This fiasco has cost everyone a lot of money as tourism and trade slowly shuts down. I suspect we may see 40 baht to the USD soon if this situation continues. People will be reluctant to send their money to Thailand for products which may be spoiled by the time they are delivered or delivered much later than agreed on. I don't know if money can be sent out of Thailand easily but I suspect far less than normal will be transferred in for awhile until this is resolved and the Thai economy stops shutting down.