Retirement visa and living as retiree in Thailand

I was really contemplating moving to Thailand for my retirement in 18 months time, but now I'm wondering if its going to be worth it :o

I have to have 800.000 bht in a bank which dont pay any interest

I can only buy a condo, asuming its a majority of Thais who own it

I will face a 2 teir system of pricing (Thai and Farang)

I have to contend with a Bht that is all over the place with exchange rates

I have to report every 90 days to immigration to prove I'm still capable of staying

I dont mind getting all the paperwork (like a retirement visa)

But I think I'm going to end up like a second class citizen

All I wanted to do is live out my time in relative comfort, with my ENGLISH wife, (not a Thai wife or any other import, unless you include Liverpool in that :D )

As much as I like and enjoy the Thai people, I dont like being laughed and spoken about in a language I know very little of (as I have read in the forums here

Are Farangs actually wanted here in Thailand ? (either as tourists or retirees ?)

Can anyone just give me a 'heads up' on this ?

Not a slagging off or a slating, just helpfull advice, please

IS IT worth it ?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got the second class part correct, but the citizen part incorrect, you will NEVER be a citizen here of ANY kind!

Based on your post, I say you should consider other more welcoming retirement destinations. Some you can even become a permanent resident over time.

Thailand, especially the new much less smiling Thailand, is NOT for everybody!

Edited by Jingthing

Based on your post, I say you should consider other more welcoming retirement destinations. Some you can even become a permanent resident over time.

any recommendations ?

Just somewhere thats warm, friendly, currency thats not all over the place, and I dont have to be kept tabs on, just see my time out :o

If you don't want to worry about currency fluctuations and putting your money in a bank in Thailand you can apply for a non immigrant OA visa. See the following lisk for info but note that #3 has a reference to immigration in Bangkok that is incorrect. You can only apply for this visa outside Thailand.

Link: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2493

Also you can earn interest on deposits that you make in a Thai bank.

Yes there is double pricing. But one way to get around that is to get a Thai drivers license which can be used when going to certain tourist attractions.

The 90 day reports are a pain but not that much and can even be done by mail. They are only to report you are still here along with your current address.

Use some of your free time and go to school and learn some basic Thai. It's not that hard to learn.

Your stay here will only be as good as you make it. With the right attitude you will love it and the people will be more friendly than any where in the world. Just show them some respect and they will give in it return.

Edited by ubonjoe

If you don't want to worry about currency fluctuations and putting your money in a bank in Thailand you can apply for a non immigrant OA visa. See the following lisk for info but note that #3 has a reference to immigration in Bangkok that is incorrect. You can only apply for this visa outside Thailand.

Yes there is double pricing. But one way to get around that is to get a Thai drivers license( Do I need a residense address for that ? which can be used when going to certain tourist attractions.

The 90 day reports are a pain but not that much and can even be done by mail. They are only to report you are still here along with your current address.

Use some of your free time and go to school and learn some basic Thai. (not a problem, but how manu dialects do I have to pick up ?) It's not that hard to learn.

Your stay here will only be as good as you make it. With the right attitude you will love it and the people will be more friendly than any where in the world. Just show them some respect and they will give in it return. (I always try and give as much respect as I can, even though its not always reciprocated)

there can be plenty to find fault with - being long-term in Thailand - though that can be said about other places. It depends on the person and their outlook. I've resided in Thailand 10 years. The first few years, I'd find fault with many things, and though I couched it in attempts at wit, others got tired of hearing it - especially Thai girl friends.

I also found fault in countries I lived in earlier - all of which is a reflection of my somewhat cynical personality and outlook.

More recently, in Thailand, I've chosen to accentuate the positive. Walk on the 'sunny side of the street' so to speak - though still being true to my nature. I've become a bit more Thai, in that I find ways to tolerate annoyances. Luckily, I reside in the countryside where there are less drawbacks than in the city - and my neighbors have come to grudgingly accept my complaints - insofar as the neighborhood is a bit less noisy and trash-strewn because of my earlier complaints - so now I have less compulsion to complain to them.

From what the OP described, it sounds like Thailand would become hard for him and his wife to adjust to comfortably. Farang aren't going to change Thais - so unless a visiting/residing farang can find ways to 'go with the flow' of Thai idiosyncrasies (letting their dogs bark all night, very loud pop music at all malls and within all buses, tossing trash in public parks, driving like maniacs, etc) - such things are going to gnaw away of that farang's peace of mind - and cause regret for choosing to reside here.

with my ENGLISH wife, (not a Thai wife or any other import, unless you include Liverpool in that :D )

My wife is Thai and this is Thailand so I'm the import, not my wife! :o

As I'm still in the UK, IF I had a Thai wife, she would be the import, but I have no requirements for a Thai bride of any age :D

there can be plenty to find fault with - being long-term in Thailand - though that can be said about other places. It depends on the person and their outlook. I've resided in Thailand 10 years. The first few years, I'd find fault with many things, and though I couched it in attempts at wit, others got tired of hearing it - especially Thai girl friends.

I also found fault in countries I lived in earlier - all of which is a reflection of my somewhat cynical personality and outlook.

More recently, in Thailand, I've chosen to accentuate the positive. Walk on the 'sunny side of the street' so to speak - though still being true to my nature. I've become a bit more Thai, in that I find ways to tolerate annoyances. Luckily, I reside in the countryside where there are less drawbacks than in the city - and my neighbors have come to grudgingly accept my complaints - insofar as the neighborhood is a bit less noisy and trash-strewn because of my earlier complaints - so now I have less compulsion to complain to them.

From what the OP described, it sounds like Thailand would become hard for him and his wife to adjust to comfortably. Farang aren't going to change Thais - so unless a visiting/residing farang can find ways to 'go with the flow' of Thai idiosyncrasies (letting their dogs bark all night, very loud pop music at all malls and within all buses, tossing trash in public parks, driving like maniacs, etc) - such things are going to gnaw away of that farang's peace of mind - and cause regret for choosing to reside here.

I try and go with the flow (so to speak) I doubt I could change the Thai way of thinking, I cant even change the way Brits think

There are a lot of things that annoy me in the UK, a lot less annoy me in Thailand (after all its their country)

I live in a street with most of the UN in it, they got all the idiocrancies of their own culture, but hey ho, they get on with it, once my door is shut, I live my own life

As for dogs barking, I got a cockeral that has no idea of time and foxes that love distrubuting the local bin bags everywhere and boy racers with their souped up Clios charging about

I think I would have more problems with understanding the BIB and the Thai definition of law

Pepsi666, there must be reasons for you to want to leave your home country.

How much of those reasons weigh up to the inconvenience you will have elsewhere?

I know, not being a REAL citizen somewhere and everything what comes with that ( reporting and such) is a pain in the ass, and doesn't ` feel` right.

But how would you feel in Panama or Costa Rica, even though the reporting wouldn't be such a thing there? Would you really be, or feel like a citizen there?

Would you really know if the local currency wouldn't go all over the place there?

Overpricing or getting ripped of because you are a `rich` gringo would be an everyday thing there too.

It is the problem with a lot of countries. You are white, and therefor you are rich, so you can pay more. End of story. It also depends a lot on your own behaviour.

It is up to you, to deal with that, and to find a way of compromising/ handling it, so it is acceptable to you. Not easy at first, but you will get the hang of it.

My advise to you would be to just go, but for a year and not give up on the foothold in the home country.

Don't buy anything but rent and get the feeling of the country and the people.

By renting it gives you time to look for maybe something permanent, or look at other parts of the country.

If it doesn't work out, you can always go back.

Yes, the language can be a problem, but in general you will be OK, and of course you can try to learn about that too.

C

Looks like you're more the kinda Brit who should settle down in Benidorm, with your own soaps, beer, footballshirt and your English wife.

Never been to Benidorm, Hate football AND hate soaps, only have a beer when I fancy it, and dont get drunk any more, I like to stay in control of my senses

I try and stay away from Brits when I'm on holiday (they can be an embarassment) no matter what country I'm holidaying in

1 wife is enough, no matter what nationality she is :o

Pepsi666, there must be reasons for you to want to leave your home country.Just getting to expensive to live here, especially on a fixed income(a pension)

How much of those reasons weigh up to the inconvenience you will have elsewhere?

I know, not being a REAL citizen somewhere and everything what comes with that ( reporting and such) is a pain in the ass, and doesn't ` feel` right.

But how would you feel in Panama or Costa Rica, even though the reporting wouldn't be such a thing there? Would you really be, or feel like a citizen there? never even thought of those places

Would you really know if the local currency wouldn't go all over the place there?

Overpricing or getting ripped of because you are a `rich` gringo would be an everyday thing there too.

It is the problem with a lot of countries. You are white, and therefor you are rich, so you can pay more. End of story. It also depends a lot on your own behaviour.

It is up to you, to deal with that, and to find a way of compromising/ handling it, so it is acceptable to you. Not easy at first, but you will get the hang of it.

My advise to you would be to just go, but for a year and not give up on the foothold in the home country.

By renting it gives you time to look for maybe something permanent, or look at other parts of the country. I had given a lot of thought to this and renting for a year seemed sensible, and having a bolthole to return to was favourite, but I have to give it a try, no matter where I try

Yes, the language can be a problem, but in general you will be OK, and of course you can try to learn about that too. Was hoping to enrol in a school of some kind, when I was there, give me something to do

C

Any recommendations for a decent estate agent ?

I have been to most parts in Thailand, but find myself returning to places that I enjoy the Thai peple (Pattay, Chang Mai, Hua Hin) I have never had any problems there, and tried speaking to Thais and have a few people I know (sort of) that I have had meals and nights out with and still stay in touch with (via Emails)

Edited by pepsi666

I was really contemplating moving to Thailand for my retirement in 18 months time, but now I'm wondering if its going to be worth it :o

I have to report every 90 days to immigration to prove I'm still capable of staying

All I wanted to do is live out my time in relative comfort, with my ENGLISH wife, (not a Thai wife or any other import, unless you include Liverpool in that :D )

As much as I like and enjoy the Thai people, I dont like being laughed and spoken about in a language I know very little of (as I have read in the forums here

Are Farangs actually wanted here in Thailand ? (either as tourists or retirees ?)

IS IT worth it ?

:D It depends on you.

To be honest there are some people who are not going to be happy in Thailand.

Others who can't imagine why they would ever go anywhere else.

You have to make a decision for yourself based on your own feelings.

As for me, I have a family that I love and that loves me.

I can live in a Thai Moo Banh house and eat Kway Tiow any time.

I never pay attention to those Thais who talk about me when I travel around, because they don't know me anyhow, and their opinion is meaningless to me for that reason.

I've found that with a bit of tolerence and a friendly attitude I can usually make friends with most Thais I meet.

I don't let things like dual pricing get to me. The things I have to do to stay in Thailand, like visa runs, are just part of the cost of staying in Thailand.

I speak very little Thai, but I can tell you that the more Thai you learn, the easier things become.

And really, most people are not laughing at you, much of that is your own feeling. Anyhow, as I said, why do you care?

Are Farangs wanted? Well, that often depends on your attitude.

The clue is: don't take things so seriously. Live your own life your own way, and to h-ll with the others.

:D

Malaysia is offering a easy way to settle, especially for U.K. residents. You can own property there, the food can be good, climate great, stays lighter a little longer in the evenings, and they do actually like and respect the British. Cost factor is about the same as Thailand...check it out....you could then just have a quick trip to Thailand for regular holidays... :o

Pepsi666, there must be reasons for you to want to leave your home country.Just getting to expensive to live here, especially on a fixed income(a pension)

But how would you feel in Panama or Costa Rica, even though the reporting wouldn't be such a thing there? Would you really be, or feel like a citizen there? never even thought of those places

By renting it gives you time to look for maybe something permanent, or look at other parts of the country. I had given a lot of thought to this and renting for a year seemed sensible, and having a bolthole to return to was favourite, but I have to give it a try, no matter where I try

Yes, the language can be a problem, but in general you will be OK, and of course you can try to learn about that too. Was hoping to enrol in a school of some kind, when I was there, give me something to do

C

Any recommendations for a decent estate agent ?

I have been to most parts in Thailand, but find myself returning to places that I enjoy the Thai peple (Pattay, Chang Mai, Hua Hin) I have never had any problems there, and tried speaking to Thais and have a few people I know (sort of) that I have had meals and nights out with and still stay in touch with (via Emails)

If you seriously want help looking for a property when you are here, P.M. me

Malaysia is offering a easy way to settle, especially for U.K. residents. You can own property there, the food can be good, climate great, stays lighter a little longer in the evenings, and they do actually like and respect the British. Cost factor is about the same as Thailand...check it out....you could then just have a quick trip to Thailand for regular holidays... :D

Have you any more info ?

Never thought of Malaysia, I got leave coming up soon, I could check things out while I am there

Any recomendations for places to stay, go to and see, please

I was there but as a squaddie years ago and only got to see the Ulu, then it was a flight in and out, never got to see anything :o

Only got to see a few villages,

No, the 90-day-reporting is just to reconfirm, that your address is still the same, takes 5 minutes & costs nothing. The clock re-sets every time you re-enter the country, so a border-run, or holiday-trip locally or back to your country-of-origin, will also re-set to 90 days, since you fill in a new form when you re-enter Thailand.

The proof of having money in-the-bank is part of the annual extension to your permission-to-stay.

Unless you have personal-links to Thailand, you might prefer to live elsewhere, like the Canaries, and just make long holiday-trips here. Limited only by the current 90 days in 6 months rules.

Malaysia is offering a easy way to settle, especially for U.K. residents. You can own property there, the food can be good, climate great, stays lighter a little longer in the evenings, and they do actually like and respect the British. Cost factor is about the same as Thailand...check it out....you could then just have a quick trip to Thailand for regular holidays... :D

Have you any more info ?

Never thought of Malaysia, I got leave coming up soon, I could check things out while I am there

Any recomendations for places to stay, go to and see, please

I was there but as a squaddie years ago and only got to see the Ulu, then it was a flight in and out, never got to see anything :o

Only got to see a few villages,

I would suggest you start up around Penang, there's quite a few nice colonial style (i.e. European) houses that can be picked up for a fraction of the cost a similar place in the UK would fetch. As said you can own property in Malaysia 100% in your own name and right to the centre of the Earth if that's important to you (so if you discover diamonds under your back yard they're yours :D ). I would say the cost of living is higher than in Thailand but not significantly so and the advantage is that nearly everybody speaks English. Check out the MM2H (Make Malasia my 2nd Home) programme for more details.

Of course the risk, there always is a risk setting up in any country in this part of the world, is the racial tensions bubbling just below the surface in Malaysian society. However they are not bombing or beheading each other and of course the big advantage right now is that the airport is open. Don't take any notice of folks trying to tell you that you'll be living under Sharia law as it is utter bolleaux. Sharia law applies only to muslims and as long as you respect the culture you'll be fine.

I was really contemplating moving to Thailand for my retirement in 18 months time, but now I'm wondering if its going to be worth it :D

IS IT worth it ?

Hello,:D

I have lived here for 4 yrs with my wife and child (also 100% falang), I will try and answer the points you have raised from my experience.

(1) Yes you do have to have that amount in a Bank that pays very little interest (Bangkok Bank are offering 3.50% on a five month fixed account at the moment). If you have a pension of more than 64,000 THB a month you do not need the 800,000 THB in the bank, or for example if your pension were 32,000 THB a month you would only need to show 400,000 THB in an account.

(2) You can own a house as well as a condo (I have owned two properties in Thailand) you need to set up a Company (about 35,000 THB) the Company then buys the property, this is the system that I have used and it has worked with no real problems. The Company will however have Thai share holders who will between them hold 51% shares you will hold the 49%. I think I am right in saying that the law has recently changed and if you were to be the only falang director of the Company then it would only require two Thai diectors one holding 26% shares the other 25% as you can see you would be the majority share holder.:D

(3) Absolutly true you WILL pay well over the odds for anything you buy, including 'back-handers' to Government Officilas to 'make problems go away' these problems can be anything from Immigration trying to find something wrong with your visa applications to not wearing a seat belt:(, just sold my car had to get a form from the local police confirming my address he tried to charge me 500 THB I know for a fact that a Thai would only be expected to pay 20-30 THB in the end I had to cough up 200 THB:angry:. I did ask for a receipt when he picked himself up from the floor laughing I did not bother persuing the matter.

However I have found that when you get stopped (for what ever reason) it normally stumps them if you are in possession of an International Driving License or better still a Thai License, if they still try to get money from you insist that you want the ticket and you will go to the police station and pay there! That often promotes a snide remark and a gesture to go away! (without paying).

Thailand has the best police force money can buy:o

(4) I have lived here on a retirement visa and have not found the 90 day reporting restriction too much of a hassle other than attempts to over charge me:(

(5) Getting the first retirement visa is a little bit of hassle but after that (keep a copy of everything for your reference) you just copy the original paperwork, a word of advice I have found it an advantage to get the paperwork checked out at the Immigration a few weeks before it is due as they tend to move the goal posts, my experience was I was told by immigration that the original letter from the British Embassy confirming that I was in receipt of a pension could be used again the following year, guess what? It could'nt and I had insufficient time in which to obtain a new letter from the Embassy, so I had to pay to 'make the problem go away'

(6) It is not so much being made to feel a second class citizen, I have found/felt that a lot of Thai's really do not want me here, they want my money, but not me:(

(7) I do speak a little Thai and you are right there is some 'mocking' but I really think the onus is on you to learn the language if you intend to stay here for any length of time!

There was a lot of advice given to me when we first arrived and two pieces stick in my mind, "Never invest more than you can afford to lose here" and "Money number one"

We have been lucky enough to have sold our house/Company and to be quite frank cant wait to get out of here, there are in my opinion far better places to retire to, countries with better beaches, food, infrastructure and customer service which I have not found anywhere in Thailand:(

My advice to you would be to 'give it a go' it is not the best place in the world but it is not the worst, just rent for a year and make your own mind up! the property market is knackered and I do not think it will change from being a buyers market for some time to come particularly after the events at the airports!

See the post on Malaysia, well worth a look at!

I hope this has been of some assistance to you.

Edited by HuaHinRay1

(1) Yes you do have to have that amount in a Bank that pays very little interest (Bangkok Bank are offering 3.50% on a five month fixed account at the moment). If you have a pension of more than 64,000 THB a month you do not need the 800,000 THB in the bank, or for example if your pension were 32,000 THB a month you would only need to show 400,000 THB in an account.

A lot of people moan about having this amount of money tied up with little or no interest. Whilst I can appreciate their concerns it is hardly megabucks and for me, when and if I retire to Thailand, I will consider that money to be my lifeboat. So if everything goes pear shaped I will have that cash instantly available to buy my way out of the country. Yes I know you can have funds in offshore accounts earning good interest and still available with little or no notice period but there's nothing like having cash at hand.

But if it does bother you don't forget it only has to be there for three months a year so the other nine it can be earning interest wherever you like.

Thailand will be well worth it in 18 months. the Baht is probably way lower then and there are affordable condos as well like www.pgp.co.th where we are renting. 50 grand would buy a penthouse with more than 100 square meters. But maybe you like to move away from the big city? There are beautiful mountain regions - darn, I keep forgetting the place about 5 to 7 hours drive from Bangkok. Scarcely populated and much cooler. Or you might like life on an island, or in Isaan?

Do yourself a favour and travel the country!

Some friends have been here for around 10 years now. They dislike going to Immigration, but it is just a formality. As a Kraut, I could start a tirade on bureaucracy! (Hanging up a 1 square meter sign outside a kebab takeaway requires an architect's plans for the building etc. and when you import a Harly, they count the light bulbs as there is a tax on those). Wonna move 2 houses down in the same village? Failing to report this to the Police with signatures from your landlords and all results in ... bla bla. At least, no landlord needs to verify your new address :o

Life is good here. The locals love life and tend to life for the moment. Yes, I love to get a decent meal like kaj jiau (spelling) or pad thai for ~ 35 Baht at a restaurant downstairs. You can get DSL, friends can call you with Skype or www.voipdiscount.com from anywhere and you can travel in normal circumstances.

You might rent a SFH somewhere and enjoy life. Hope you do find out what Thailand has to offer!

IS IT worth it ?

thailand can be a good place to live-like everywhere there are different pro and con

thai people are genrally very laid back, happy, easy going and friendly,on the negitive side, do not go crazy at the double talk, today can be next week, 3pm can 6.30pm

the constant ineffciency and the way foreigners are hit up for more money

and if you do not mind the overt corruption, the joke of the government,the poverty the old men walking around with young girls they have convinced themselves love them, the pollution

as for the thai subject bit, well,, that does not effect you and would you want to be someone who is subject to mind control( not being allowed to question certain institutions)

thailand wants foreigners sometimes in the same way a working girl wants customers- she needs them, yet, she resents them for what she has to do and this need, although it is her house that is the blame

in thailand there exists a sort of resentment toward foreigners and a jealously( all the model try to have white skin), not too much, or anything to worry about people here do not like it when I say that basicly thailand is run by the west,( as it runs many other places) and many thai's know this and resent it

this is part of the reason at the overt national pride- when there is nothing something has to be created to fullfill what is lacking

the paperwork- find a " connection" and it will be sorted

try reading a few books

good luck

you've got some good informative replies, despite a few not so informative ones :o

I will still however move your thread to the visa section, where you will hopefully get a few more useful ones?

(also changed the title a little bit)

cheers and good luck with the decision

Yes there is double pricing. But one way to get around that is to get a Thai drivers license which can be used when going to certain tourist attractions.

Use some of your free time and go to school and learn some basic Thai. It's not that hard to learn.

Your stay here will only be as good as you make it. With the right attitude you will love it and the people will be more friendly than any where in the world. Just show them some respect and they will give in it return.

excellent post,your pint is half full i see lol.many on here have an half empty pint,they are missing out on so much by being miserable.