Srt Train Bkk To Butterworth

tangoll

Yesterday Sunday 11/30 I was able to book train service BKK to Butterworth for Friday 5th Dec, departure 1445 pm, arrival next day 12/6 1255 pm. Can anyone advise answers to following?

1. After arrival Butterworth, how long would it take to clear immigration, etc., and go into Malaysia side at Penang?

2. Are there readily available taxis at Malaysia side of station, and what is cost and time to take a taxi to Penang Airport? And what is cost and time to go into central Penang? Would there be any taxi scams or big rip-off?

3. I'm going to Malaysian airlines office tomorrow to try book flight to Kuala Lumpur for whenever I can, hopefully after arrival at Butterworth on 12/6 1255 pm. If flight is available what would be safe time interval so that I can catch the first flight Penang to KL -- 1600 pm or 1700 pm or when?

4. If I cannot catch flight Penang to KL same day 12/6, should I stay at hotel near airport or would it make more sense to go into central Penang and stay at a hotel in center of town? Any suggestion for reasonable cost, decent hotel, centrally located?

Thanks for any help from anyone who has done this routing before.

tangoll

Yesterday Sunday 11/30 I was able to book train service BKK to Butterworth for Friday 5th Dec, departure 1445 pm, arrival next day 12/6 1255 pm. Can anyone advise answers to following?

1. After arrival Butterworth, how long would it take to clear immigration, etc., and go into Malaysia side at Penang?

2. Are there readily available taxis at Malaysia side of station, and what is cost and time to take a taxi to Penang Airport? And what is cost and time to go into central Penang? Would there be any taxi scams or big rip-off?

3. I'm going to Malaysian airlines office tomorrow to try book flight to Kuala Lumpur for whenever I can, hopefully after arrival at Butterworth on 12/6 1255 pm. If flight is available what would be safe time interval so that I can catch the first flight Penang to KL -- 1600 pm or 1700 pm or when?

4. If I cannot catch flight Penang to KL same day 12/6, should I stay at hotel near airport or would it make more sense to go into central Penang and stay at a hotel in center of town? Any suggestion for reasonable cost, decent hotel, centrally located?

Thanks for any help from anyone who has done this routing before.

tangoll

1 You don't clear Immigration at Butterworth, that happens at Padang Basar, the border station, where you also change trains to a KTMB train. The time is therefore built in to the journey.

2 I haven't done it but I would guess about 30-40 minutes to Penang airport, over the Penang Bridge.

3 If all goes well, I would think you should be able to catch a fliight at 16:00, but I would err on the safe side.

4 City Bayview is where I usually stay at MYR 135 a night. There are lots of cheaper places in the Chulia Road area.

1 You don't clear Immigration at Butterworth, that happens at Padang Basar, the border station, where you also change trains to a KTMB train. The time is therefore built in to the journey.

You don't actually change trains in Pedang Besar, passengers re-board the same coach after clearing immigrations. The train does swap engines at the border though.

You don't actually change trains in Pedang Besar, passengers re-board the same coach after clearing immigrations. The train does swap engines at the border though.

Ah ok - so thats changed then, it used to be the case. Apologies.

Thanks for replies. Looks like I'll be OK with Penang/KL flight for 1720 pm then. Anyone know about cost of taxi from getting off train to Penang Airport?

Thanks again. Should be a nice train ride, even though 22 hours, with sleeper and hopefully dining car.

Why bother travelling Butterworth ,Penang KL ,Firstclass Air conditioned coach, Butterworth KL airport 36 dollars australian one way , piate taxi butterworth station to KL 100dollars australian, both options save a lot of hassle

I have done this run before (but not under such extreme circumstances. Here are my comments and suggestions:

Yes as posted above, you clear immigration at the border and re-board the same train for final leg to BW.

There are taxis to Penang island but most people take the ferry to Georgetown in Penang. It's about a 10 minute walk to the ferry terminal; just follow the signs/people. It's cheap and runs back and forth several times an hour. It's a rather long and rumbly ride from Bangkok and there may be some delay. You should book your flight leaving Penang (to either Singapore or KUL) for the day after your scueduled arrival in BW/Penang.

Take the afternoon/evening to rest and get some good Penang eats. Hotels are very cheap in Penang. If price is main concern, the visa-run/backpackers area of Chulia street has many inexpensive guesthouses and hotels (US$ 10-$ 40). The ferry terminal on Penang is at Georgetown end of the island and taxi to Chulia area only a few dollars (they won't use their meters but figure RM 5-10).

Like I said, to allow for possible train delays, book for next day morning. If you want to risk it, nothing before 6 pm (8 even better). However, unless you have a late flight out of KUL, you'll end up spending the nite there and hotels are much more expensive there than in Penang. Better to stay Penang 1 nite, fly out in morning and connect same day to flight out of KUL.

No, there is not much near the airport and not necessary. The airport is about 25-30 minutes from Georgetown and fare about RM 25-30 (USD 10 or so). Best selection hotels is in Georgetown and lots of street eats and farang restos too.

Thanks to all who provided info about train to Butterworth. As it turns out, I'm now confirmed on direct flight BKK to HKG, so my back up plan of train to Butterworth/Penang, flight to KL and then flight to HKG is now no longer necessary. Now sorting out the cancellations and refund charges.

tangoll