PAD/DAAD/Unrest/Airport Closure/Goodbye Thailand/Resolution/PAD sponsors

SSVPGS

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP all the best for your trip,but are you sure there won't be any problem in vietnam or combodia????????

you never know,anything can happen anywhere,anytime.

its good to think safe but worst to be hyper.

good luck :o

In fairness to the OP, this is the decision many 'normal' tourists will be making now. At a time when money has been placed on the endangered species list, this could not have come at a worse time.

I've friends who switched from Thailand to Cambodia/Vietnam and do not regret it.

I'm trying to get in to go back home to Issan. I can't face the London to Kuala Lumpur flight then the Butterworth to Bangkok train, then a bus journey to Roi-Et, mainly because of chronic illness.

Yours,

Trapped in the UK

I don't know where you come from there Tigger, but the right to gather and protest unjust laws or a unjust govt is one of the cornerstones of a true democracy...even when it's inconvenient to wanna be colonialists like yourself.

Yeah, happens all the time in mature democracies. :o

Whilst, people should have a right to gather and protest, closing off international airports by seizing them is hardly something that is acceptable. There were plenty of other options that they could have looked at, but in the end they have decided to hold the country to ransom, and with little concen for the long term damage that they are doing to the reputation and economy of the country, which will affect a lot of their citizens.

I'll admit that I was in support of the PAD's earlier demonstrations, but I think on this, they have way overstepped the mark and it's not helped by Thaksin continuing to agitate disruption from afar.

I agree that the PAD have gone too far however looking at the history of our own democracies change was made by extreme measures after passive protests failed, Storming the Bastille, US civil war etc. Right or wrong regarding their agenda the PAD did protest peacefully for the most part until the attacks in Issan earlier this year. Passive protest would get them nowhere with the current bought and payed for government as they couldn't give a dam_n about their citizens only their political survival so their snouts stay in the trough.

I just read that the Canadian Govt is trying to get medications to older tourist stranded at the airports.

I wonder how long before a govt goes in to retrieve its citizens? Then all h_ll will break loose.

Thailand please wake up...PAD please wake up.....Who wants to live in a country that gets its way through throwing a tantrum.

Why would all hel_l break loose? I am sure you have a good reason for saying this, but I can't work it out. Can you please elaborate?

Im not sure of the point of the thread.

While we can debate till we're blue in the face whether Thailand needs western money, what this protest is saying is that they don't really care if they have it or not. There is an innate xenophobism in this which is amazing to behold - none of the protagonists seem to care what the rest of the world is thinking of Thailand now, nor are they mindful of the severe damage this will do to tourism, imports and exports, FDI etc for many years to come.

:o this is where Thailand is in the moment and it will only get worse. But I am NOT leaving here where I live since 2000 with my Thaifamily just because the mob rules. tit...so be it. What can we do? and again this is Thailand, enought said.

I don't know where you come from there Tigger, but the right to gather and protest unjust laws or a unjust govt is one of the cornerstones of a true democracy...even when it's inconvenient to wanna be colonialists like yourself.

Yeah, happens all the time in mature democracies. :o

Whilst, people should have a right to gather and protest, closing off international airports by seizing them is hardly something that is acceptable. There were plenty of other options that they could have looked at, but in the end they have decided to hold the country to ransom, and with little concen for the long term damage that they are doing to the reputation and economy of the country, which will affect a lot of their citizens.

I'll admit that I was in support of the PAD's earlier demonstrations, but I think on this, they have way overstepped the mark and it's not helped by Thaksin continuing to agitate disruption from afar.

I agree that the PAD have gone too far however looking at the history of our own democracies change was made by extreme measures after passive protests failed, Storming the Bastille, US civil war etc. Right or wrong regarding their agenda the PAD did protest peacefully for the most part until the attacks in Issan earlier this year. Passive protest would get them nowhere with the current bought and payed for government as they couldn't give a dam_n about their citizens only their political survival so their snouts stay in the trough.

Agreed that extreme measures have been used on the pathway to democracies, but many of the previous examples are fom the 18th, 19th and early 20th century. I think that whatever anyone says, both the Yellows and the Reds have their political agenda, and I for one do not believe that they have any interest in the majorioty of the country, more about looking after their own interests. There are two sides to this, both are as responsible as each other for the mess, but sadly it's a little bit diffficult to discuss it in full detail.

The action that they have taken is unacceptable, and damaging the countries reputation worldwide, along with the impact that it will have on the economy and in turn it's citizens.

Im not sure of the point of the thread.

While we can debate till we're blue in the face whether Thailand needs western money, what this protest is saying is that they don't really care if they have it or not. There is an innate xenophobism in this which is amazing to behold - none of the protagonists seem to care what the rest of the world is thinking of Thailand now, nor are they mindful of the severe damage this will do to tourism, imports and exports, FDI etc for many years to come.

I realize that there are many issues here which affect millions in different ways. But from my own little corner of the world, the damage to the world's view on Thailand may have serious repercussions. Due to various problems in China, my company has a huge opportunity to capture a very large contract for a huge US multinational. This would increase our production by almost 75% and let us hire more workers and ensure a steady manufacturing stream. This US company has abandoned China and was wary of using another offshore supplier, but up until now, we have been able to convince them that Thailand is not China, and there is no risk associated with buying products from here.

It has been the THanksgiving Day holiday in the US for most of last week, and we have a conference call scheduled for tomorrow morning. To be honest, I am in fear of what I might hear during that call.

The damage being done to the Thai economy is not limited to the current and near-future tourists. As Bendix points out, the damage will be felt for many years to come.

A COUNTRY VERY NEARLY ON THE EDGE OF A CIVIL CONFLICT POSSIBLY FLEETING POSSIBLY DISASTROUS, A COUNTRY THAT HAS TEETERED ON THIS EDGE BEFORE BUT WITHOUT THE INTERNATIONAL SPIN AND A DEVELOPED MEDIA AND THE MONSTROUS MEDDLING OF DYE HAIRED DYE HARD FAKE DEGREED EX PREMIER, THE INVISIBLE HAND ETC. CAN THE MAGIC OF A KINGS WORDS SAVE THE NATION AGAIN? WE CAN ALL HOPE THAT FOR NOW IT DOES, BECAUSE YOUR ALL GONNA WISH YOUR HEADS WERENT IN THE SAND WHEN IT ALL BLOWS UP BEHING YOU!

A COUNTRY VERY NEARLY ON THE EDGE OF A CIVIL CONFLICT POSSIBLY FLEETING POSSIBLY DISASTROUS, A COUNTRY THAT HAS TEETERED ON THIS EDGE BEFORE BUT WITHOUT THE INTERNATIONAL SPIN AND A DEVELOPED MEDIA AND THE MONSTROUS MEDDLING OF DYE HAIRED DYE HARD FAKE DEGREED EX PREMIER, THE INVISIBLE HAND ETC. CAN THE MAGIC OF A KINGS WORDS SAVE THE NATION AGAIN? WE CAN ALL HOPE THAT FOR NOW IT DOES, BECAUSE YOUR ALL GONNA WISH YOUR HEADS WERENT IN THE SAND WHEN IT ALL BLOWS UP BEHING YOU!

Thailand will not sink into any kind of civil war, these grenade attacks are little more than fire crackers thus why scores have not been killed by them. I think the deaths were as a result of too much whiskey and being in the wrong place at the wrong time, there have and will be no systematic extermination of the opposition. People are not actively going out in search of the oppostion to kill them and it will just not happen.

No need to shout . . . . .

to the op . you will be back your just pssed of you cant come , if cambodia is your next choice well i have a feeling you wont be there long , you will be back ha ha ha .

cheers

The OP will find the locals happy and pleasant as many others have done recently , Cambodia is filling up rapidly , those i have spoken with say they wish they had come earlier , not much room for kangaroos though , there are enough traffic problems as it is . Jealousy will get you nowhere .

to the op . you will be back your just pssed of you cant come , if cambodia is your next choice well i have a feeling you wont be there long , you will be back ha ha ha .

cheers

The OP will find the locals happy and pleasant as many others have done recently , Cambodia is filling up rapidly , those i have spoken with say they wish they had come earlier , not much room for kangaroos though , there are enough traffic problems as it is . Jealousy will get you nowhere .

Dumb all may I ask why are you such a prolific poster here? nothing wrong with living in another country however 100% of your posts are anti Thai. Why do you bother?

Putting aside the inconvenience and manipulation, and governing mess, let's just mention that bigger countries have had similar shutdowns.

In the USA, the Air Traffic Controller Strike nationwide back in the 80s. Took a while to sort that out.

New York city and some other major citites had mass transit strikes.

Europe has had several major hiways shutdown.

So protests do happen. Of course with Thailand, the airports are quite a choke point as so much travel is channeled through them.

pretty sure the type of tourists that stay in 300 usd a night hotel rooms and get 2000 baht massages in the hotel spa and drop 80000 baht an afternoon at paragon and 10000 baht on dinner buffet and 400000 baht on thai airways seats are the ones who will not be returning...

cheap charlie sex tourists who cant get laid in a first world country probably spend less in a month here than these quality tourists do in a few days!

It seems that some don't like what I posted. The point was simple. Shit happens, and not just in Thailand. I have seen a lot of Thailand bashing about the government, police, etc. All with some justifaction. I hat the current situation also. But similar things have happened elsewhere and for a myriad of reasons. Think twice before you start trashing Thailand and its ways.

pretty sure the type of tourists that stay in 300 usd a night hotel rooms and get 2000 baht massages in the hotel spa and drop 80000 baht an afternoon at paragon and 10000 baht on dinner buffet and 400000 baht on thai airways seats are the ones who will not be returning...

cheap charlie sex tourists who cant get laid in a first world country probably spend less in a month here than these quality tourists do in a few days!

That's what I was trying to get at.

Well said.

IMHO it quite differs from a strike.

In a strike people are not blocking you from doing something, they are simply saying "My work situation is not satisfactory so i am not longer going to do my job".

They don't go into someone else place of work and chase them out with sticks, and prevent them from doing their job.

Yes the result is essentially the same, but at least with a strike there seems to be more a justification and therefore less irritating. However the situation is magnified in Thailand as such a high percentage of air travel goes through Bangkok.

If the airports in NYC got shut down there are still any number of large international airports within driving distance etc...

IMHO it quite differs from a strike.

In a strike people are not blocking you from doing something, they are simply saying "My work situation is not satisfactory so i am not longer going to do my job".

They don't go into someone else place of work and chase them out with sticks, and prevent them from doing their job.

Yes the result is essentially the same, but at least with a strike there seems to be more a justification and therefore less irritating. However the situation is magnified in Thailand as such a high percentage of air travel goes through Bangkok.

If the airports in NYC got shut down there are still any number of large international airports within driving distance etc...

Not to mention the economy is not distroyed due to other options!

I agree it is not the same situation. But there certainly have been more violent blockages and union blockades in other places. The arab oil embargo sure caused a lot of damage back in the 70's on a global scale.

As for the economy, well, that has happened too. Areas had problems and tourism suffered for a long time afterwards. Companies relocated factories and hurt entire regions.

I am pissed off too and hate the way things are, but not much we can do about it. Thailand was cheap because it was not like Western countries. Big mix of poor and well to do.

I still have a few weeks to sort things out and am not happy about probably having to change things.

Stay safe and hope your travels are safe.

Peace everybody.

Putting aside the inconvenience and manipulation, and governing mess, let's just mention that bigger countries have had similar shutdowns.

In the USA, the Air Traffic Controller Strike nationwide back in the 80s. Took a while to sort that out.

New York city and some other major citites had mass transit strikes.

Europe has had several major hiways shutdown.

So protests do happen. Of course with Thailand, the airports are quite a choke point as so much travel is channeled through them.

What's yer point, caller?

But similar things have happened elsewhere and for a myriad of reasons. Think twice before you start trashing Thailand and its ways.

what ways are those exactly?

Are you serious? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_action provides a few references.

The fairly recent Los Angeles dock workers strike, is another one that hurt a region economically.

Many deadly and viloent coal mine strikes.

There are too many large scale strikes with violent protests to list. I would not profess to be an expert. I leave it to the interested reader and the experts.

Goodnight