PAD/DAAD/Unrest/Airport Closure/Goodbye Thailand/Resolution/PAD sponsors

SSVPGS

I do not get involved in politics, esp. politics of another country. However, the PAD action of taking over the airports and completely stopping tourism will affect ALL of Thailand. I was planning to visit Thailand Saturday from America (my 5th visit) as I typically do yearly as I love the country and people.

However, this year I am forced to change my itinerary last minute and travel to another country. Obviously, changing a trip last minute is both a painful and costly process. That being said, I will more then likely go to Vietnam or Cambodia this year and annually going forward. Additionally, many of my friends who frequently travel to Thailand are doing the same.

Great move taking over the airports !! You lost me and thousands of others as tourists for a long time. I do not plan to go to Thailand for years (if ever again). Not for safety concerns, but for my FACE.

My vacation plans have been ruined and I vowed to myself not to return. Good luck Thailand....I sincerely wish the situation does get resolved and resolved peacefully. However, the action of the last few days will have a huge impact on the baht, the economy and ultimately the people of Thailand. I foresee the growing recession getting extremely worse and lasting for years. Thailand will go back to being a true Third World country. Confidence and perception of Thailand is dramatically declining..... and as we all know this takes years to get back (esp throughout the world community).

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not get involved in politics, esp. politics of another country. However, the PAD action of taking over the airports and completely stopping tourism will affect ALL of Thailand. I was planning to visit Thailand Saturday from America (my 5th visit) as I typically do yearly as I love the country and people.

However, this year I am forced to change my itinerary last minute and travel to another country. Obviously, changing a trip last minute is both a painful and costly process. That being said, I will more then likely go to Vietnam or Cambodia this year and annually going forward. Additionally, many of my friends who frequently travel to Thailand are doing the same.

Great move taking over the airports !! You lost me and thousands of others as tourists for a long time. I do not plan to go to Thailand for years (if ever again). Not for safety concerns, but for my FACE.

My vacation plans have been ruined and I vowed to myself not to return. Good luck Thailand....I sincerely wish the situation does get resolved and resolved peacefully. However, the action of the last few days will have a huge impact on the baht, the economy and ultimately the people of Thailand. I foresee the growing recession getting extremely worse and lasting for years. Thailand will go back to being a true Third World country. Confidence and perception of Thailand is dramatically declining..... and as we all know this takes years to get back (esp throughout the world community).

Good for you. Enjoy your holiday in Cambodia or VN. Many others will still come here.

wrong address, this is TV not TAT.

lol ... yes I hope your face gets repaired! Enjoy the flawless vistas and great beaches in Cambodia! (oh crap --- can't hike to the vista for the landmines ... and the beaches in Cambodia make Pattaya's beaches look pristine!)

and thanks for posting the exact same post in 2 places!

Edited by jdinasia

Its a big world. Thailand remains an addictive kind of country for those who get the sickness. It would have to take a heil of a lot more than a temporary airport closure to shake us all out. Sadly, it looks like we are going to get a lot more ...

Edited by Jingthing

Its a big world. Thailand remains an addictive kind of country for those who get the sickness. It would have to take a heil of a lot more than a temporary airport closure to shake us all out. Sadly, it looks like we are going to get a lot more ...

The temples and culture are indeed addictive.

That's what I always say too!

Face is a wonderful thing. Just re-routed my trip to Vietnam.

I have been planning my annual trip to Thailand for quite some time and due to the airport situation I lost face (i.e. money, time and aggravation).

That being said, I warned all my friends and co-workers to avoid Thailand at all costs.

"It's very dangerous, the people and government are unstable and you risk your life going there"

As a matter of fact, two friends of mine just canceled their plans.....one was a honeymoon in Phuket in January.

PS - I do not wish anything bad for Thailand or its many wonderful people. I pray and sincerely hope the situation does get better and everything works out. My comments above are due to the sheer frustration I have encountered about the entire ordeal and need to due my part to ensure it does not happen again......and that is in the form of making people responsible for and deeply think about their actions. Without repercussions people's actions will not change. Ahhhhh, I feel better now getting this off my chest !!

I have been planning my annual trip to Thailand for quite some time and due to the airport situation I lost face (i.e. money, time and aggravation).

That being said, I warned all my friends and co-workers to avoid Thailand at all costs.

"It's very dangerous, the people and government are unstable and you risk your life going there"

As a matter of fact, two friends of mine just canceled their plans.....one was a honeymoon in Phuket in January.

PS - I do not wish anything bad for Thailand or its many wonderful people. I pray and sincerely hope the situation does get better and everything works out. My comments above are due to the sheer frustration I have encountered about the entire ordeal and need to due my part to ensure it does not happen again......and that is in the form of making people responsible for and deeply think about their actions. Without repercussions people's actions will not change. Ahhhhh, I feel better now getting this off my chest !!

wrong address, this is TV not TAT

"you risk your life going there"

lol ... where is that DramaLlama photo when you need it?

BTW --- OP, you have no idea of what "face" means in the asian concept :o

Edited by jdinasia

Toilet paper only comes in three thicknesses , thick , thin and 'Yuck'.

PP looking in the mirror would most likey suggest in your usual one-sided viewpoint to be 'Perfect Person' , however , i have noticed quite a few posters have the obverse point of view , so i guess it remains which point of view you are prepared to accept in this particular post of yours on Cambodian beaches versus the poluted Thai version .

Yes, you're far better off out of it. Looking out my window right now I see gangs of heavily armed attack robots roaming the streets just waiting to rob me of all my face.

What an absolute, Grade A, Lemon...

I am sure the Op will be sadly missed in Thailand and warmly welcomed in Vietnam.

The friends are collateral damage and the honeymooners will no doubt be replaced.

For <deleted>'s sake if you 'love' Thailand you will find a way of getting here. Into Siem Riep or Vientienne and a hop over the border into Thailand - it is not rocket science or a journey to the north pole.

I was due to return to the UK on Monday but thanks to PAD's activities I have had to re-book for a week later (when I personally think things will return to normal-ish). I am no fan of PAD but I thank them for creating my extended stay - at no cost to me. If I needed to get back to the UK I would gone to Cambodia or Vietnam and back to UK via KL. Inconvenient - yes, a net cost to me - yes, the drama you are portraying - no. PAD's activities will have serious economic implications for some people/businesses but for a single traveller like you and me the problems are not insurmountable.

As much as I am pissed off about this airport closure I do still love Thailand and will return here though in a different capacity than I am presently residing here. I also don't think I will retire here. However if I had some extra money I think in about 6 months when the effects of the economy from this stunt are felt and real estate declines further it may be the buying opportunity of a lifetime in Thai real estate or other investment here. Yes I know Farang's can only semi own condos. So in spite of my disappoint I never let my emotions cloud investment logic and thus I may recommend to a few relatives with money to take a stake in Thailand as I'm sure in time Thai food, Thai girls and some truly splendid coastline in the south will draw people back including myself at least for a holiday. Peter Lynch used to say "Buy when there are protesters in Suvarnabhumi. Well sure enough right now there are protesters in Suvarnabhumi so it will soon be time to buy.

As much as I am pissed off about this airport closure I do still love Thailand and will return here though in a different capacity than I am presently residing here. I also don't think I will retire here. However if I had some extra money I think in about 6 months when the effects of the economy from this stunt are felt and real estate declines further it may be the buying opportunity of a lifetime in Thai real estate or other investment here. Yes I know Farang's can only semi own condos. So in spite of my disappoint I never let my emotions cloud investment logic and thus I may recommend to a few relatives with money to take a stake in Thailand as I'm sure in time Thai food, Thai girls and some truly splendid coastline in the south will draw people back including myself at least for a holiday. Peter Lynch used to say "Buy when there are protesters in Suvarnabhumi. Well sure enough right now there are protesters in Suvarnabhumi so it will soon be time to buy.

I guess in 6 months time, with the bt at 70 to the pound (maybe 45 to dollar), and hotels falling over themselves to give bargain stays, we might be complaining about not being able to get a seat at our favourite bar - who knows.

So sorry to hear that you will not be returning to Thailand this year.

How are we all going to cope without you?

Hope your face grows back again.

And if you have any problems or want more information about what`s happening in Thailand, please dont call me, I have enough of my own problems.