Are You Happy Enough To Spend The Rest Of Your Life In Thailand?

garro

I have never thought about retiring in Thailand.

As far as my opinion is concerned, Thailand is (was) a good country to spend one's 30s/40s/50s when you have power to enjoy the life (I think you know what I mean).

Of course there are people who don't suffer from lack of strength even in their 60s/70s/80s and for such people retiring in Thailand could be a good solution.

I mean mainly men in this post.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think that spending the closing years living near family and friends is one of the things that brings most people great happiness during their closing years. I am only in my mid sixties now and still feel like twenty so might have another 50 years to go so it will probably be quite a few years before I start thinking about where I want to spend my final days. It definitely will not be Thailand as the people that are most important to me are in the US. I will however as always, continue to spend a few months every year in LOS which has always felt like a second home for me.

Interesting how life spans out. I just loved the thought of living in Thailand after seeing a guy walking with his Thai lady and beaut.

Thai/falung child in Big C. They looked really happy. That had a real effect on me.

.There I was in London, no finacial worries, nice car, house etc., Happy no way. Rat race I suppose.

Came to Thailand to see client, met Thai girl (a liitle bit younger than me!!) married her and now have lovely girl. Went back to London and guess what, she passed all her english exams ,obtained British passport , full driving licence and now makes the best apple pies in the world! Even better than those in the USA.

The problem I now have is, she loves England and not really interested in living back in Thai.

Funny old life.

I am sorry if this is a gloomy subject, but I find it interesting.

Are you quite happy to live out the rest of your days in Thailand?

Would this decision change if you became really sick or infirm?

I am happy in Thailand and a firm believer that life will take me where I need to be. I have lived in Thailand over six years and would say I am used to living here, but it never feels really like home. Still, I'm not complaining about this. I am happy and think that it is a good place to bring up my son. I am in my late thirties so hopefully have a few years of health left. If I became really sick I am not sure what I would do, but would probably just stay in Thailand.

What about you guys?

Why should it be gloomy? I'm happy to be here.

But if I had kids to bring up, then I would be considering their education. Going private is an option, but very expensive. And if I, wishful thinking, were back in my late thirties, I would be more concerned about how I would be financially supported in my old age. Mid thirties to mid forties are, or should be, the best capital producing years as an employee. Afterwards it becomes difficult to get a job and before the lack of experience is a problem.

And if I became really sick and needed expensive treatment I would head back to the UK and throw myself at the mercy of Brown the Clown. And if he carries on with his current policies, I might have to go back anyway, as he is bent on killing the UK economy, the Pound and the pension schemes. If I had known then what I know now, I would have joined the civil dis-service.

I've lived here since I was 12/13, so this place feels more like home to me than the UK where I was born. I would like to spend the rest of my life here but we never know what will happen in the future.. I wouldn't ever like to go back to live in the UK though.

It's interesting that when we talk here about health in old age, everyone refers to physical health, when in reality the most debiltating diseases of old age are those which deny us our mental abilities.

The problem then becomes one not of just health but of management of personal finances (which many here rightly identify as the means by which they can manage their old age).

We might all of us have been, and remain into our old age, fortunate enough to have found a Thai partner who his honest and caring enough to manage our old age and our finances - Some will undoubtedly not have been so lucky, either not having established a relationship with someone who is able and willing to take care of them, others will be in relationshps where they are seen as a font of cash.

It is undoubted that many of us will face the problem of becoming entirely or significantly 'non compos mentis' in old age - How they fare through that is almost entirely due to the honesty of their partners (where they have a partner).

Thailand has no trust law, there are very few protections in law for the vulnerable and no orgnanizations to turn to for help with these matters if/when the need arises.

Moreover, there are many who have not considered the problems their partner/spouse will face receiving what funds are available from pensions and private savings.

I know I have mentioned this before, but not so long back I was standing in line at a bank in Thailand chatting to a US serviceman behind me in the quue. He drew my attention to an old expat in a wheel chair at the teller. The Bank Clerk was trying to assertain if he was conscenting to make the withdrawl that was being presented by 'him' (the Thais with him). He was clearly not able to communicate nor did he seem at all fully compos mentis. As the guy I was talking to commented - 'Do you think he's in control of this?'. The 'extended' family standing by, shopping bags at the ready, of course had his best interests at heart.

But what if they did not?

It is very easy to point at an old people's home in the US/UK or eslewhere - What needs to be thought about is your own affairs in Thailand.

Think about legal controls over your wealth

Who is going to control your wealth if you cannot, and how are they going to manage that?

Are you even sure you have someone who you can rely on to deal with your finances if you cannot?

The lack of Trust laws is one thing. But what too of the lack of trust we read so much of here and elsewhere?

Live for today by all means, but failing to plan for tomorrow is planning to fail tomorrow.

I'm of the opinion that the large numbers of old farangs in Thailand who have not made adequate provision or planning for their old age is a welfare disaster in teh making.

This is certainly a despressing thread.

I am 56, lived in Thailand for the last 5 years and have no plans to live anywhere else.

Health issues are always a conern, but I know that my 19 year old daughter has a much better standard of life here in the LOS. So I put her interests first.

Best to view things as the Thais, live for today and dont worry about tomorrow, as it hasn`t happened yet.

This is certainly a despressing thread.

I am 56, lived in Thailand for the last 5 years and have no plans to live anywhere else.

Health issues are always a conern, but I know that my 19 year old daughter has a much better standard of life here in the LOS. So I put her interests first.

Best to view things as the Thais, live for today and dont worry about tomorrow, as it hasn`t happened yet.

I would not say a depressing thread more an insight into an expats lifestyle and his dreams and forbearing for the future of living in Thailand.

For me I try and spend the winter months here in Issan and home for the summer.

Both of my parents died young and I have had health problems.

That said I am happiest living in Thailand.

I have no reason to travel or to explore other countries like many expats here I found my heaven here.

When my candle flame ceases to flicker I would hope to be with the people I do love the most.

Guesthouse the wisdom in your words should be applied by each of us no matter where we stay, It's in the timing of a life.

Even though It may not Happen in this life, I am happier in Thailand than everywhere I've been. And before I lived here I was the happiest when I was here. (even though I didn't know it at the time).

but I'm an easy going guy, that realizes stress is the fastest killer of the western man. Theres just something about the west that seems to cause me far more stress Than the mai pen rai of Thailand.

Though I have sat inside the pub beside a bitter man or two in this country I felt they'd be just as bitter anywhere they were..

on a light note My wife in some of our "Debates" says to me "who else will be cleaning your ass when you can't."

I belive I will be taken care of if that time comes that I am incapable.

If not well I'll just be crying with <deleted> in me pants.

I liked this thread.

Lodes

I retired at the age of 42, and then wondered where to spend the rest of my life. My choice became Thailand, the complete opposite of my freezing country.

6 years later I don`t regret anything, and I am prepared to grow old here.

For me, it`s a matter of where I found my peace of mind, and today with a thai family, the choice is easy.

Here I have people who love me, at least we falangs like to think so, and that means the most in the end, at least for me.

As we don`t have the luxury of thinking too long ahead, I take one year at the time.

But I certainly wouldn`t mind staying her for the rest of my life.

Maybe I am a bit young to say so, but I strongly think I will feel younger in the future in this country than in my own.

That could be reason enough to stay.

However things can always happen, but at least the last 6 years nothing has changed my mind.

"Failing to plan for tomorrow is planning to fail tomorrow".

Guesthouse, that is nicely put, and our wealth should be planned for, no doubt about that.

I have seen cases you describe myself, and it breaks my heart to see old people not in control of what is going on.

Make some arrangements, or rely on people you can really trust, that is certainly something we should have in mind.

From coming here until probably early 2007 I thought I'd never bother living anywhere else but that has changed. I have Thai family so I will always have that connection but I think I'll be off sooner than later though keeping the door open on a possible return. Without the family, I would be happy to finish my days in another country.

As another poster said, I also thought I would end up in Spain but Europe is probably not on the agenda nowadays.

I'm too easily annoyed to spend the rest of my life here I think. For the most part it's good and maybe I just need to get out of Phuket? Was happier in BKK and CM. It's also too dam_n hot for my Canuck blood and the way people drive here really makes me want to pack up. I miss fresh salmon and hockey night among other things the west has to offer.

Perhaps you miss the Canadian Police chases..... :D

I miss the Vancouver PD giving me a ride home when I was too pissed to drive :o No ticket, no jail just a friendly drop home.

From coming here until probably early 2007 I thought I'd never bother living anywhere else but that has changed. I have Thai family so I will always have that connection but I think I'll be off sooner than later though keeping the door open on a possible return. Without the family, I would be happy to finish my days in another country.

As another poster said, I also thought I would end up in Spain but Europe is probably not on the agenda nowadays.

Please tell us more.

From 'loving' this country some 7 years ago, I have slowly started to hate it (or my reactions to it).

I have a child here, and will have another one early next year. Every day is a struggle on what to do conscerning them.

If I was alone I would pack my bag, go to Swampy airport, piss on the Departures wall and leave never to come back ...

From 'loving' this country some 7 years ago, I have slowly started to hate it (or my reactions to it).

I just don't get it. Any man who can't be happy in Thailand, might as well just give it up.

If you can't be happy here, you most probably can't be happy anywhere. :o

Crikey....75, you want to live another 20, good on you, amazing. My bones ache already and im nearly half ur age.

Good on you if you can do it, my wifes grandfather is in his late 80ies and still rows his little boat up the klong each day to farm his water vegtables.

I cant imagine trying to keep up with the pace of things in another 30 or 35 years.....if the planets still spinning around then

I made my first trip in '93. Decided to live in Thailand in '04.

This summer I flew my 76 year old dad over for a visit. He liked it so much, as soon as he got back to Canada he started applying for a visa and packing his bags.

He went for a medical check-up. Doctors told him he had an enlarged aorta, and possibly a small black spot on his lung. They told him they would have to open him up (cut open his chest), try to clean his lungs, and then work on the aorta.

He asked how long he would be in the hospital. They said possibly 2 years or more, and only a 50% chance they would be able to correct the problem.

He told them forget it. He's 76 and d@mned if he's going to spend what could be the last two years of his life in a hospital bed, for a 50/50 chance.

He had made his funeral arrangements about 10 years earlier, knowing he was on the downward side of life.

One of the first things he did after arriving back in LoS was to get a Last Will and Testament drawn up at the lawyers. Essentially, his affairs are settled and he is free to enjoy whatever time he has left, and he wants to do that in Thailand.

I am a little concerned over his desire to buy a Harley though. :o

I hope I'm still as active and in control of my faculties when (if) I get to his age. I hope I will still be in LoS, and who knows, maybe I'll still be driving my Harley as well !

If one doesn't have a trusted loved one or adviser to watch over him or her, it doesn't matter where you are, it's going to be tough. If you look at the nightmare stories of longterm elder abuse in the west, they all have a common characteristic: There is no wife/husband/child to protect the patient.

That then begs the question as to why any foreigner would think that it would be any different in Thailand. No one wants to change an adult diaper or deal with a patient in the final stages of dementia. Thais are no different. Yes, you can pay for private care in Thailand and in most cases, it's adequate. However, unless there is a person in place to advocate for the patient, then that old person is going to be just as neglected as someone in the west. Don't think for a minute that gold is not yanked from deceased patients mouths, wedding bands don't disappear, or vulnerable aged farangs aren't exploited. Even if you are 85 and in fairly decent health, you can become dependent upon the caregiver. Someone has to be there to make sure the nursing staff are dong their job.

He told them forget it. He's 76 and d@mned if he's going to spend what could be the last two years of his life in a hospital bed, for a 50/50 chance.... Essentially, his affairs are settled and he is free to enjoy whatever time he has left, and he wants to do that in Thailand.

I am a little concerned over his desire to buy a Harley though. :o

What a great post. Thank you. I just read it out loud and received a roomful of laughs in response.

I no longer desire to own Harley (family tradition, been there done that) but I do smile when I see a flock drive by!

I am sorry if this is a gloomy subject, but I find it interesting.

Are you quite happy to live out the rest of your days in Thailand?

Would this decision change if you became really sick or infirm?

I am happy in Thailand and a firm believer that life will take me where I need to be. I have lived in Thailand over six years and would say I am used to living here, but it never feels really like home. Still, I'm not complaining about this. I am happy and think that it is a good place to bring up my son. I am in my late thirties so hopefully have a few years of health left. If I became really sick I am not sure what I would do, but would probably just stay in Thailand.

What about you guys?

You'll be suprized how many guys don't think of that. There was an expat who lived not to far from me in Loei - and old German guy. No family, friends or other apparent connections. He got so sick (high blood pressure) and eventually had to go into hospital - where he died a few weeks later.

No family could be traced in Germany and after 18months of been "entombed" at a small country Wat, he was cremated. No-one is still any the wiser as to who he could have been.

Ultimately most Europeans though have access to good free state health services back home - so they return home when health gets really bad.

• 6 months later...

I'm not looking for answers here.Obviously,everyone needs to look within and find their own answers.I do like to read others thoughts,though.

I find this thread thought provocing, as it brings into play the 2 biggest issues (I believe) for retirees.

1)Family in Thailand vs family in home countries

2)Health care in Thailand vs health care in home countries

I often think---What is,the best option?

If you're not thinking about financial aspects,these are the 2 main issues for someone up in age,retired or thinking about retiring.

Many thoughtful posts here.

I retired to Thailand,had issues,came back home.Now deciding if my wife and I should return.

1) Children in home country,remainder of family in Thailand.

2) 24,000baht per person per year plus 210,000Baht deductible per person per year insurance in home country(plus deductibles),17,000baht per person per year hospitalization and major medical only(Bupa mid level),in Thailand(pay your own outpatient costs).

I've read so many cost of living threads with all the variations(ex. Bangkok vs Issan--live like a Thai--live western style---teachers live on 30,000baht a month etc.)They are good reads but the only person that can determine your expenditures is you(and in my case,my wife also).What are your requirements and expections?

Living back here we(wife and I)will have to work again.Moving back to Thailand we won't.

Weighing the two issues at the top of the post and then considering the financial aspects of retirement is causing many sleepless nights.

I know many retirees go back and forth from Thailand to their home countries--but what if that's not an option?What if it's a permanent move?

Is it enough to be happy that you have enough money?Does your family at home country and your health overide money and leisure?

These are the thoughts I go over repeatedly,day and night.My personal situation can only be answered by me and I'm not there yet.

Are these thoughts going through others minds?Have you resolved them and are at peace with the decisions?

Interesting thread for retirement.

I thought about this question alot, and being a sickly 50 year old, I thought Thailand would be the most wonderful place to spend my 50's, 60's and 70's. But due to the dismal lack of consideration for the handicapped, I needed to think twice. When was the last time you saw handicapped parking spots? Even when I went to the hospitals here, they had huge steps or curbs to overcome just to get in. Driving here? If you live long enough to get to your 70's better stay off the roads. That will lessen your chances dramatically if you choose to ride a motorbike or drive because of the insane way people dirve here. Ok it would be nice to have 3 private nurses doting on you day and night, but if you cant get your wheelchair down the 200 stairs in front of your condo to go to your favorite restaurant, what the heck good is it? The sidewalks in BKK and pretty much every city I have been to are horrific, so using a wheelchair would be about the same as navigating a mine field. If you dont have a car and need to take a taxi somewhere, I hope you are able to squeeze your sickly arse into the back of a Toyota Corolla. They dont have Ford Crown Victorias or Chevy Impalas here for us large farangs. And finally, do you need an infusion of that USA approved medicine that has been keeping you alive for the past few years? Well you arent getting it here. Not for the next 20 years probably. So my personal opinion is to do as the Thai want you to do. Come here for a short time, spend all your money, then go home and be sick and die in your own country.

In 35 and have been here just over 5 years I can't imagine staying here the rest of my life (who knows when that is) but say I live to 70, I think I will have lived in at least another 5 maybe 6 countrys then. On the other hand I can't at this stage ever see myself living back in the UK again. Lets see what happens but for the time being Thailnd is home and Im loving it here.

Exactly ! ( Without meaning to sound patronizing ).....The beginning of wisdom .....you have some insight. YOUR REACTIONS TO IT !

And although we can't control our environment, we can control our reactions. Difficult at first......

Insight meditation helps.....

Edited by Latindancer

I am not sure how to answer the OP. For me it is not a matter of being happy. Happiness comes in unexpectedly, and it can happen anywhere. Especially if you find success in your own vision. I have things I would like to achieve. I would like my life to be a contribution, not a deficit, to the human condition. I would like to make an important difference to at least a few. I see this more likely to happen here then any where else, given the circumstances of my life, my skills, and my family. So I will live here, at least as long as they make it possible to do so. I imagine every year will bring a reassessment because 'the times they are a changin'.

[

Neverdie.........That is a great namefor this thread. My mother lived until 96 and was in good shape and took careof herself up to the last couple of days of her life. Don't know when you start to feel old but I don't yet, although my memory as not as good as it once was and I can't leap tall buildings in a single bound. Have been retired for 25 years now and have enjoyed every day of it. Lifes good I have a fantastic wife, married 34 years and every day with her is fun.

Remember all the good things that happen to you and forget any bad.

Good luck to you neverdie and enjoy every day. :)

How WONDERFUL...you brought a smile and tear to my eye....thank you.....I wish you and your wife many more fun days

I have only been here just over 3 years and I have no intention of leaving....why would I.......

But I hope to have enough money one day to spend a couple of months every year in New Zealand with my wife