Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

Been spending the day on chaweng beach (op bungalow.). There where a few tourists there. The tables where empty but there where some sunbathers. My wife bought a bbq corn and the salesman said it was the first he sold in 4 days, for whatever that might be worth, he might be lying.

Im not sure i ever seen it this empty before. To be honest. Wheter or not tourism is good this year, lets not argue back and forward, we all have our oppinions. I just find some of the linkproviders hard to beleive. But if they are happy, why shouldnt i? After all, we got to choose whatever table we wanted, thats rare!

What is the matter with you? You keep on saying that again and again - for too long. Are you some kind of a negative program? I think, that there are many tourists here, considering the political situation, the financial crises and the low season, which usual has a break 1 week before Christmas until 1 week after New Year until the high season starts at about 20 Jan.

My office is on Chaweng, I am every day overthere - since many years! I have seen low seasons much more quiet than this year!

Whats he mater with you?

You have your oppinion and i have mine. I was the manager for a resort 2 years ago and our highseason started in the begining of november at that time. In chaweng. Now you say high season is starting januari 20? I beleive you, i just think it´s different from a few years ago, and i have honestly not seen chaweng this empty ever before. Difference in oppinins. Thats all.

Negative program. Or reality program. Depending on who you ask.

Oppinions, thats all it is.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mattias,

You're hard to follow. From some posters you want hard evidence and when this hard evidence is provided by other posters you basically brush it off the table.

I'm slightly baffled to say the least.

I truely hope you find an occupation very soon that prohibits you spending so much time on TV, spouting your mostly unbalanced and biased flood of words here.

Fair enought. No hard feelings, i didnt mean to be rude to you and i´m happy you brought the fact links to second your statements. However, if i walk out of my house and get an apple in my head tomorrow, im sure you can find a link that tell me it´s impossible that this happen. Thats the only point. Internetlinks are good. Reality seen is another truth but also good. The real truth is somewhere in between i guess?

Look, whatever we want to prove with a link it´s gonna be possible. Tourism down, or up. Either way we can prove it with a link. But take a ride down chaweng beachroad for the latest month and it shows something else. At least in my eyes. We are all coloured with what we want to beleive in a way. And what we seen before i guess.

Explanation good enough?

No, it's not good enough since you were rude, addressing me as a "linkprovider who is hard to believe" :o

I do NOT want to prove anything.

YOU are doubting the figures collected by the Immigration Bureau, Royal Thai Police who receive the border cards, whether INBOUND tourists arrive by air, land, sea or train which Bureau supply them to the Office of Tourism Development; next to that are the TAT statistics.

The numbers I supplied from the sources I explained earlier were from up to June 2008. Another statistic which was already available was for Suvarnabhumi Airport for October where it showed that a number of almost 100.000 foreign tourists was short of last year.

YOU are talking about November and December 2008 but you are telling now that the links are doubtful and the numbers not correct.

You are mixing apples with pears.

I talk facts unless the data are lied upon by the government sources, above. But I see no reason why they should because the data over all for Thailand are not very promising for 2008.

I would appreciate if you won't address me any longer as a "linkprovider who is hard to believe" because I do not deserve to be called like that :D

Contrary to your own posts I only post after research and studying the facts; you are just talking what you see on a limited part of Chaweng beach on a certain day or period of the year.

Now please stop attacking me and just correct me if I wrote something wrong or incorrect which is always possible because I am a human being, like everybody else on this forum.

LaoPo

Dont wieght to much in the choice of words. My English is what it is. Sorry if you felt personaly attached, L.p.

You are right, i dont provide facts. Only oppinion. I said so the whole time. And yes, i am talking about nov,dec 2008 and you are talking last summer so theres no reason for you to feel attacked in the first place.

I think walking chaweng beach on a sunny day is a good value-meter. Dont you?

mattias,

You're hard to follow. From some posters you want hard evidence and when this hard evidence is provided by other posters you basically brush it off the table.

I'm slightly baffled to say the least.

I truely hope you find an occupation very soon that prohibits you spending so much time on TV, spouting your mostly unbalanced and biased flood of words here.

If you post an oppinion you dont need to provide evidence. Some posters like to post "facts" and then i think evidence is required.

Well, i am not looking for a job currently so theirs no chans of that. I would say you yourself would have to get busy enough to stop reading my postings. Thats the only way.

Whats he mater with you?

You have your oppinion and i have mine. I was the manager for a resort 2 years ago and our highseason started in the begining of november at that time. In chaweng. Now you say high season is starting januari 20? I beleive you, i just think it´s different from a few years ago, and i have honestly not seen chaweng this empty ever before. Difference in oppinins. Thats all.

Well, my opinion, after being involved in a tourism related business on Koh Phangan for the past 20 years, is that the high season has never started in November on Koh Phangan. To add to that, I have always had to do my visa extension in Samui at that time and an informal survey of Koh Samui taxi drivers every year has told me that November is never busy. But, hey, that's just my opinion based on my experience :o

As for tourism right now, well a close friend of ours drives a minivan for a service that provides minivans for the large hotels and all drivers are now working 15 days/ month (they work 15 days, they get paid for 15 days) because business is so slow. He is not allowed to go find another full time job since he signed a one year contract for this job. Very poor IMO.

Whats he mater with you?

Well, my opinion, after being involved in a tourism related business on Koh Phangan for the past 20 years, is that the high season has never started in November on Koh Phangan. To add to that, I have always had to do my visa extension in Samui at that time and an informal survey of Koh Samui taxi drivers every year has told me that November is never busy. But, hey, that's just my opinion based on my experience :D

As for tourism right now, well a close friend of ours drives a minivan for a service that provides minivans for the large hotels and all drivers are now working 15 days/ month (they work 15 days, they get paid for 15 days) because business is so slow. He is not allowed to go find another full time job since he signed a one year contract for this job. Very poor IMO.

Indeed.

Thats close to slavery. What happens if they cut him down to 5 hours/month..... :o .

Crazy contract.

Highdiver:

You said something about a meeting were there was a debate about something? Could you tell us more details about this, it might be interessting news.

Was there a meeting with tourism attorisation where something was debated, wich you went too?

Pls, share the details.

Or are you only trying to look important here? :o .

Well, my opinion, after being involved in a tourism related business on Koh Phangan for the past 20 years, is that the high season has never started in November on Koh Phangan. To add to that, I have always had to do my visa extension in Samui at that time and an informal survey of Koh Samui taxi drivers every year has told me that November is never busy. But, hey, that's just my opinion based on my experience :D

Sbk, you got me so blinded with the story of your friend in slavery, that i forgot to comment on this part of your post. ( And i want to make a note for persons that dont understand it: I AM COMMENTING ON SBK AS A POSTER, IT IS NOT DISCUSSION ABOUT MODERATION SO DONT SEND FORMAL WARNINGS, BANNS, OR DELETE THE POST!!!)

1: Good you gave us the irrelevant detail of koh pagnan tourism. Has absolutely nothing to do with Samui tourism wich this thread is about. But thanks for the information.

2: "Informal survey of koh samui taxi-drivers has told you that november is never busy". ?????????????????? :o:D:D:D

You are joking right? So now we are gonna put inputs from the koh samui taxi-drivers in this thread? Like they wont say whatever a paying customer wants them to say. They are scum and im here to tell you that their opinions mean nothing. What so ever. Sorry, find a better source.

Glad you added the last sentence "it´s just my opinion based on my experience". You are entitled to have that opinion. Aswell as i am entitled to mine. And i can agree with you on this point though. We all have different experience and threfore different opinions. (thx for teching me how that word is spelled btw, hope you are right! :wai: )

Well, my opinion, after being involved in a tourism related business on Koh Phangan for the past 20 years, is that the high season has never started in November on Koh Phangan. To add to that, I have always had to do my visa extension in Samui at that time and an informal survey of Koh Samui taxi drivers every year has told me that November is never busy. But, hey, that's just my opinion based on my experience :P

Sbk, you got me so blinded with the story of your friend in slavery, that i forgot to comment on this part of your post. ( And i want to make a note for persons that dont understand it: I AM COMMENTING ON SBK AS A POSTER, IT IS NOT DISCUSSION ABOUT MODERATION SO DONT SEND FORMAL WARNINGS, BANNS, OR DELETE THE POST!!!)

1: Good you gave us the irrelevant detail of koh pagnan tourism. Has absolutely nothing to do with Samui tourism wich this thread is about. But thanks for the information.

2: "Informal survey of koh samui taxi-drivers has told you that november is never busy". ?????????????????? :o:D:D:D

You are joking right? So now we are gonna put inputs from the koh samui taxi-drivers in this thread? Like they wont say whatever a paying customer wants them to say. They are scum and im here to tell you that their opinions mean nothing. What so ever. Sorry, find a better source.

Glad you added the last sentence "it´s just my opinion based on my experience". You are entitled to have that opinion. Aswell as i am entitled to mine. And i can agree with you on this point though. We all have different experience and threfore different opinions. (thx for teching me how that word is spelled btw, hope you are right! :jerk: )

Mattias, in two weeks they will all, including spock, admit you are correct...or they will be lying...then two or three months after, many (hopefully spock!! :burp: ) will be out of business and leave Samui...and this messed up economy and politics will have continued to VERY much improve the island! :D ...I can NOT believe this is even a discussion and posters are quoting Thai government agencies (horribly unreliable not to mention completely untrustworthy)...when you all can just GO LOOK!! there is NO ONE HERE!!...(okay, ya, you want to say next week....we'll seeeeee).

Live long and prosper Spock :wai:

Well, my opinion, after being involved in a tourism related business on Koh Phangan for the past 20 years, is that the high season has never started in November on Koh Phangan. To add to that, I have always had to do my visa extension in Samui at that time and an informal survey of Koh Samui taxi drivers every year has told me that November is never busy. But, hey, that's just my opinion based on my experience :P

2: "Informal survey of koh samui taxi-drivers has told you that november is never busy". ?????????????????? :D:D:D:wai:

Glad you added the last sentence "it´s just my opinion based on my experience". You are entitled to have that opinion. Aswell as i am entitled to mine. And i can agree with you on this point though. We all have different experience and threfore different opinions. (thx for teching me how that word is spelled btw, hope you are right! :jerk: )

And just saw on the international news that Thai Air (or Thailand..not sure which but Thai is basically Thailand considering it main ownership interest) is giving away 100,000 FREE air tickets to Thailand!! YEP...sure there is no tourism problem here!!! :o ..... :D

The only time I have ever spent on Koh Samui has been as a tourist but given the attitudes and behaviors displayed by many posters on this forum, I sure am glad I don't live there :o

most of the people are undesirable but its still a few decent ones ...and it can be quite beautiful...I have my nitch here and love it...but I can completely agree with anyone who says what you do...don't really see why people vacation here and why so many live here...except that most of the latter are bottom feeders...

Mattias, try a dictionary if you aren't sure how to spell a word :o

And I was talking about songthaew drivers who, just so you know, realize that I have been living on the islands for awhile now since I speak the local dialect so are more than willing to give me the beneift of their experience. But I am sure you are right and they must be lying to me based on the 50 baht I pay for the songthaew.

thaierless, the free flights are offered by Air Asia, not Thai Air.

...I can NOT believe this is even a discussion and posters are quoting Thai government agencies (horribly unreliable not to mention completely untrustworthy)...

Well, I am one of those quoters of Thai Government Agencies.

You seem to have knowledge that we don't have, so please share with us what secret information you have (unless you will be arrested of publishing state secrets of course) that the statistics from the Immigration Bureau, Royal Thai Police are faked, or in your words: "horribly unreliable not to mention completely untrustworthy".

I am convinced that most of the readers of this thread will keep your information confidential, at least I will !

If you don't have anything to share with us I suggest you keep your remarks to yourself; and, if you don't believe this is even a discussion, please feel free to leave the thread and enjoy the empty beaches.

LaoPo

Mattias, try a dictionary if you aren't sure how to spell a word :D

And I was talking about songthaew drivers who, just so you know, realize that I have been living on the islands for awhile now since I speak the local dialect so are more than willing to give me the beneift of their experience. But I am sure you are right and they must be lying to me based on the 50 baht I pay for the songthaew.

Thanks SBK! obviously I was not sure, Thai Air or Thai Gov...or Air Asia....owned by whom?? :o ...yep, Thailand tourism is in the toilet...this is desperate and won't work...but at least they try...too late.

...I can NOT believe this is even a discussion and posters are quoting Thai government agencies (horribly unreliable not to mention completely untrustworthy)...

Well, I am one of those quoters of Thai Government Agencies.

You seem to have knowledge that we don't have, so please share with us what secret information you have (unless you will be arrested of publishing state secrets of course) that the statistics from the Immigration Bureau, Royal Thai Police are faked, or in your words: "horribly unreliable not to mention completely untrustworthy".

I am convinced that most of the readers of this thread will keep your information confidential, at least I will !

If you don't have anything to share with us I suggest you keep your remarks to yourself; and, if you don't believe this is even a discussion, please feel free to leave the thread and enjoy the empty beaches.

LaoPo

sorry laopo...no offense, but grow up...you actually trust this incredibly and horribly corrupt...not to mention inept government...to date at least (we all hope for better tomorrow)...if you do, you have, then sorry, you credibility is very questionable eg how many people were killed by the Tsunami??? really?....please tell us your government stats.

Mattias, try a dictionary if you aren't sure how to spell a word :D

If you are talking about songthaewdrivers and say "taxi-drivers" you might be the one who need a dictionary. :D .

You speak the local dialect of a samui songthaewdriver? Realy?

Are you pulling a "Hd" on us now sbk? :o .

I`m sure tourism is doing good now. Chaweng is completely empty, but hey, sbk spoke local dialect to a songthaewdriver on her visarun and it is infact prfectly normal situation here now. I trust this 100 %.

Go with your stories to the empty hotels and i´m sure they beleive you also. This is first hand information sbk. I dont speak local dialect of the songthaew drivers myself, sure i speak thai, but i´m sure they would say "with accent".

So it´s settle. Samui tourism is doing better than ever.

(this is a post on sbk as a poster not a moderator. It is not discussion about moderation and therefore within forumrules, jfyi).

Edited by mattias33

Mattias, in two weeks they will all, including spock, admit you are correct...or they will be lying...then two or three months after, many (hopefully spock!! :burp: ) will be out of business and leave Samui...and this messed up economy and politics will have continued to VERY much improve the island! :D ...I can NOT believe this is even a discussion and posters are quoting Thai government agencies (horribly unreliable not to mention completely untrustworthy)...when you all can just GO LOOK!! there is NO ONE HERE!!...(okay, ya, you want to say next week....we'll seeeeee).

Live long and prosper Spock :wai:

I beleive you thaireless. Good post!

Highdiver:

How about the meeting you went to?

Samui tourism attorisation told you tourism is going up. And something else was debated in that meeting aswell? Can you please fill us in. Or id you only pull a "hd" again?

You never went to any meeting right?

sorry laopo...no offense, but grow up...you actually trust this incredibly and horribly corrupt...not to mention inept government...to date at least (we all hope for better tomorrow)...if you do, you have, then sorry, you credibility is very questionable eg how many people were killed by the Tsunami??? really?....please tell us your government stats.

Your attempt to drag tragically killed people during the tsunami into this discussion is disgusting. :o

LaoPo

Highdiver:

How about the meeting you went to?

Samui tourism attorisation told you tourism is going up. And something else was debated in that meeting aswell? Can you please fill us in. Or id you only pull a "hd" again?

You never went to any meeting right?

mattias. and thierless

out of consideration to your lsat posts i will answer you.

i attend the meetings of both the Samui tourist association and the TAT samui branch meetings on regular basis.

in those meetings we have the benefit of meeting professionals from the tourism sector.

on the meeting that took place at the end of october tourist figures from 2008 were discused.

s i stated before the year 2008 has more tourists then 2007. ( unless the end of this month will be totally empty as thierless suggested ...)

the assistant director of Tourimo Asia (the largest inbound operator in Thailand) was here as well as a guest also gave his input. and according to him the reservations by western European countries for the peak season of packages vacationers mid December till the end of February including the French "vacance" are expected to remain at high levels as most of those vacations were paid long time in advance. he too is expecting that there will be a decline in the FIT market. however new markets such as eastern European and specially Russians are going to grow much more then last year and there are 3 new agents on samui handling them. another sector that has been steadily growing is from the middle east and mostly from the UAE with high end tourists.

in this meeting it was debated how to push Samui in the next ITB conference in next April in Berlin.and the London travel mart and one of the aspects was a production of a new movie presentation and from what i understood recently is that is actually in production in the last few days.

also were debated the problems of the over development of hotels which are creating a lower relative occupancy in each hotel due to an over supply of rooms and that the islands development and room growth has by far gone over the potential tourist growth rate.

there is also an initiation to involve the Ta saban in regular meetings so infrastructure and municipal problems that affect tourist can be advised and given priority.

on a personal note i must add that you and your buddy Thierless (sort of thai but less..hahah)seem to know everything on what the problems are and how to solve them.. if so and since you are not working and if you care so much why don't you become more involved and do something and not just post it on TV.

you have been given answers by myself here for 9 years limbos, over 9 years, Roo one of the first in this forum.. and SBK who has been here for nearly 20 years.. as well as posters who have taken the time to go and post hard facts and evidence that you so eagerly asked for.

all those people who have been here and who are directly invested or working in the tourism sector here for a long time are sharing with you information, knowledge, experience, and even the attributes of more debates on this forum from a few years back.. i understand your desire to debate, i understand your position of presenting your views and opinions on what you see but i don't understand you persistence in insulting those who take the time to answer you or your dismissive attitude when someone dares to contradict you.

I share my knowledge and my experience with others on this forum. i see nor have any reason to "make myself more important" for your or anyone sake.. Samui has been my home and i am proud to make it a HOME by becoming a thai citizen, spending great deal of time learning the language, culture and i do so because i choose to know and not in any way to impress you or others.

i have no tolerance for those who come to live in my home as guests and display a false sense of superiority along with racist and patronizing remarks addressed at the local people and the way they choose to lead life.. i have no tolerance for those who come to stay here part of the time and after 5 minutes make assumptions and conclusions based on colonialist prejudice and ignorance.

i have gained a lot of experience that i am happy to share with others who are interested. as there are many who read this forum and do wish to enjoy a debate or exchange of ideas with me i will continue...

if you wish, you can read it if you don't wish,, don't read it ... i will not reply to any more of your baiting remarks or insults.

Whats he mater with you?

I have been either a tourist or a resident on Samui for the best part of twenty years and high season has never been in November it is rainy season and one of the quietest months of the year and always has been and probably always will be I think you are getting confused with Phuket where high season starts early November. Here on Samui it does not start getting busy until the week before Christmas.

The last two days I have picked up friends from the airport and both said their flight from Bangkok to Samui was completely full. I was also in a well established bar yesterday afternoon on Chaweng Beach Rd and they were busy also the road outside was much busier than this time last week with tourists exactly what you would expect to see this time of year and it will be even busier in a few days time.

Of course next year holiday destinations around the world face challenges but lets just keep things in prospective here your posts have become very one eyed and unbalanced.

I will most propbably be in the same bar around 3pm today so if you would like to meet please pm me for the details and I will give you the benefit of my first hand knowledge of tourism on Koh Samui over the last 20 years and also you can witness yourself how much busier it is than last week which is normal and maybe you can share with me your vast knowledge of tourism on Samui going back 20 years which has been witnessed first hand by yourself :o

:o Wise words and well spoken Highdiver !

Sometimes it seems that members become each other's enemies because they do not agree with each other, something or some ideas, facts, know how or anything else.

Most of us are here on this forum because we have a bond with Thailand one way or another, otherwise we wouldn't post here at all.

To adapt the views, certain ideas, facts or even the contrary truth from others is sometimes very difficult to swallow but to ridicule the other poster is simply "not done" nor chique.

I leave it with that.

Happy Christmas and Peace on Earth ! :D

LaoPo

Hd:

I didnt read your whole psot as usuall, you do so long posts. But i read the part that matters. I´m glad you finaly specified that the meeting was samui tourism attorisation (or assosiation?) in the end of october, patting eachother on the back thinking samui tourism is doing better than ever. Took 9 pages to get it out of you again, but i finaly got it.

So, there´s the problem right there. If they think samui tourism is good, right things might not be done. Phuket after the tsunami realised that "we are in deep trouble if we dont do everything in hour power to attract people". They lowered the prices, put up tsunamiwarning equipments and now they have more tourists than before the tsunami. Bali did the same after the bali bombs. They shapened up bigtime and now they have more tourists than before from what i understand.

In a time when tourism assosiation should be honest and realize that hotels on this island have let staff go. Restaurants have closed down. Barbuisness is down to 0 almost, instead they lean back happily and say "we are doing better than last year". Most lightly based n a google link or some other info. For sure it´s not based by asking barowners, hotel-managers, or going to the beach.

Thanks for the info highdiver. Now we all know.

yes, mattias, I do speak the local dialect. As I said, I have lived here for 20 years.

And my point, since you apparently missed it, was that November is not the high season, but this is December now, and as far as I am aware from Samui people I know involved in the business and from guests coming over from Samui, is that Samui is dead. Which is, of course, not usual.

As a note, if you want to get civil responses you really should try dropping the aggressive attitude as it does your arguments no good.