Tourist Arrivals On Samui Down 50%

LaoPo

Samui is a beautiful developing Island . Bangkok Airways has done a fantastic job in promoting Samui and without them we probably would all be somewhere else .

Nothing can be built in a day and I think now the elections are over and with the new Mayor we will see lots of improvements in the coming years .

How can roads and infrastructure always be perfect with all the changes that are happening . I don't often go to Lamai now but was amazed how much it has changed in just the last few months , especially on the main road around the Spa - I can see many preferring this area soon to the smelly run down looking area of Chaweng - Central Lamai is ripe for a bit of investment - I wonder what will happen to the old Bauhaus site .

Edited by churchill

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having lived and had a Business on Samui,[in Bophut],for 3 years from 2002-2005,if feel now Samui has passed it's sell by date. :D

Being now in Hua Hin,many Falang come here and gripe about being ripped off left, right, and centre in Samui now,by means of Taxi's,Food,Alcohol etc,

The Samuian's only have themselves too blame. :D

I hope they feel the real pinch this ''' busy time'',as i will have no sympathy for them.

Som-Num Nah :o

How much did you loose - sounds like sour grapes

Having lived and had a Business on Samui,[in Bophut],for 3 years from 2002-2005,if feel now Samui has passed it's sell by date. :D

Being now in Hua Hin,many Falang come here and gripe about being ripped off left, right, and centre in Samui now,by means of Taxi's,Food,Alcohol etc,

The Samuian's only have themselves too blame. :D

I hope they feel the real pinch this ''' busy time'',as i will have no sympathy for them.

Som-Num Nah :o

How much did you loose - sounds like sour grapes

now lets no get carried away lamie is far from an upscale market (mcdonalds rd) the landlords are nuts as is evidence in the old siam bar which is a vacant lot for what the last 3 years and if that is not prime land then what is? on the other hand ban rak long believed to be a bad area is developing very quickly. Hua Hin is still and I am affraid always will be the ugly step child of bkk. if you are a westerner samui is much more user friendly, the restuarants are better the beaches are better and there are more english language schools, as well as better quality international hospitals so where hua hin may have better roads, taxis and housing prices it does not offer the same quality of life as samui at least imho

some many threads and posting where the heck to begin,

Tourism on the down, realistically I believe its due to GLOBAL RECESSION, I've even read the luxury brands are actually feeling a small downturn, dont believe me look it up. Tourism will go on and continue it might slow down for 1+ years but when good market conditions, economies pick up, and fiscial responsible happen should be ok. Greed and stupidy let this event happen there's tons of proof of that.

Disappointment with samui as tourist get away, I believe that really depends on the tourist, every tourist has similiar and different experiences when they come here, if the are smart they get information about here before they come or look it up, at least I try to get a idea on where i'm going, local events and problems occuring there, everyone knows really samui won't get ahead for sometime until the same problems here are the same in thailand, GREED & CORRUPTION. Everyone see's beyond that thailand has no real lack of leadership, vision. Tourists will come back here. why

1. Most spas here are much cheaper than back home and if you want a spa treatment its AFFORDABLE

2. come for medical tourism still cheaper than back home for most

3. Eat like a local seems cheap to me

4. Still find people here who speak english

5. For goodness sake how many places in the world have such a unique rock here, I know thats stupid to say

6. If your the customer many available choices for hotel for every kind of budget

7. Places like lamai or bophut are growing to be much better than chaweng, at least as family goes

8. If your looking for a house here to buy you'll find one

ok so i know there are better places and reasons just trying to highlight some things here thats all

Business and complicants against bangkok airways, yes realistically I understand they are not cheap, but lets look at least

A. They built the airport

B. Would samui be where it is if they had not built it.

C. Most airlines are charging for food, exit seats, blankets, charges for carry on bags, so far as of november I've never encountered any of these on this airline subject to change, but I'd rather pay bit more and at least get my food, or my exit seat, and not be charged for carry on bag.

D. They promote the island for obvious reasons, financial benefit

E. When PAD was running around closing airports, at least here NOT being a government airport at least we still had flights going in and out

Good business on samui will go on, if they are properly run, have good staff, good capital, reserve cash on hand and have a good record of taking care of the customer, everyone knows tourism is the only thing keeping phuket, samui, other places alive, no way the domestic tourist would help grow business, there budget is much lower. also consider the majority of thai's are poor. anyway just putting my opinion on here, weither you hate, disagree with it, its fine, with me. JUST MY OPINION on this matter.

...................edited...What is happening to Samui is 100% preventable with a little vision, planning & implementation. Alas I think it is too late. Certainly in the next 2 -4 years. By that time the vast proportion of the community will be bankrupt. Will the last person to leave please turn out the lights...the ones that still work anyway.
so how is phuket different? Sounds like every island in the med was 30 years ago and they have survived the package tourist onslaught, several property boom and busts, the same problems were there including the mandatory incompetant local government but you get through them, things may not improve at the speed you like, you may see the problems far earlier but patience and time usually sort these things out in the long run. People will get burnt, shit will happen but one way or another life will go on.

ps.What's the obsession with roads on here anyway, surely most package holiday tourists come for the sand sea and some spicy thai food not a daily jaunt around the ringroad. The longest road journey is from the airport to the hotel.

Agreed, I would find it strange to see someone camping out on the ring road!

Sure there could be don much more, but it is as is... so relax, kick back, grab a nice fruit cocktail, if you wish with a shot and have a nice day, every day!

Many reasons to be grumpy, few reasons to be happy... that why I decided to keep happy!

Can't change it, so what, it will change for sure, just needs time!

this just may be a flat period in Dec but i swear i was at central and it was like being on a private beach, there was not more than a hand full of tourist to be seen. some of the staff told me they have friends working in other resorts so low on tourist that they can not pay the staff. it looksas though more than 50% is missing

Just had a walk on Lamai beach, all big resorts have no one on the bench....

Same for renters of bykes, all full of bykes, although for the FMP more people arrived, I presume just to go to KPN this night and leave in 2 days if still alive :o

Would be interesting to hear somebody from koh tao speak up. Or are you guys to busy with tourists to be on this forum? :D .

I went to Bkk last monday, with lomprayha service, and from samui we were about 10 people. A few more jumped on in Pagnan. But in koh Tao the boat really filled up! Many of the people i spoke to had gone Bkk-koh tao, and back the same. Spent their whole holiday there. They were just fed up with the high prices on samui they said. A few of them. Arrived at 9 in the evening in kao san road wich i never ever seen that empty. That was a strange feeling. Like a bomb had hit or a virus. Felt like i was almost all alone in this area wich i know as a sure card to meet alot of people. Very scary! :o .

Got back yesterday, night train. Song serm service, i forgot the name of the boat, rung rang or something like that, but the boat was packed. Only my family and less than 10 more jumped of in Samui. Listening around among these tourists, i got the oppinion most of them where going to koh tao. Offcourse it is possible than a fair lot went to the fmp awell, but still, question remains:

How is koh tao tourism doing?

good question,are they all divers going to koh tao or geniune holiday makers?good to know someone's busy though.Went into chaweng last night,first time for a long time and it was dead,no traffic along beach road,very depressing and i could get the ense that the locals are p-ssed off too.Soi grenn mango looked like a war zone with redevelopment going on and a couple or more bar closures too...............just no customers,hope by next week it picks up a bit.

Would be interesting to hear somebody from koh tao speak up. Or are you guys to busy with tourists to be on this forum? :D .

I went to Bkk last monday, with lomprayha service, and from samui we were about 10 people. A few more jumped on in Pagnan. But in koh Tao the boat really filled up! Many of the people i spoke to had gone Bkk-koh tao, and back the same. Spent their whole holiday there. They were just fed up with the high prices on samui they said. A few of them. Arrived at 9 in the evening in kao san road wich i never ever seen that empty. That was a strange feeling. Like a bomb had hit or a virus. Felt like i was almost all alone in this area wich i know as a sure card to meet alot of people. Very scary! :o .

Got back yesterday, night train. Song serm service, i forgot the name of the boat, rung rang or something like that, but the boat was packed. Only my family and less than 10 more jumped of in Samui. Listening around among these tourists, i got the oppinion most of them where going to koh tao. Offcourse it is possible than a fair lot went to the fmp awell,

Almost everybody from Samui, who takes the train and bus to/from BKK go via URT/Don Sak not via Chumbon/KT/KPN. No wonder only a handful people get on/of at Samui. Probable only the ignorant ones and the ferry enthusiasts.

good question,are they all divers going to koh tao or geniune holiday makers?good to know someone's busy though.Went into chaweng last night,first time for a long time and it was dead,no traffic along beach road,very depressing and i could get the ense that the locals are p-ssed off too.Soi grenn mango looked like a war zone with redevelopment going on and a couple or more bar closures too...............just no customers,hope by next week it picks up a bit.

Astonished? Tourists, who were stuck in Thailand are now gone and the majority of new tourists for this and next week cancelled that, because they fear another chaos. That's total logical after the BKK chaos. Add to that: it is still low season on Samui and add to that the financial crisis all over the world.

Got back yesterday, night train. Song serm service, i forgot the name of the boat, rung rang or something like that, but the boat was packed. Only my family and less than 10 more jumped of in Samui. Listening around among these tourists, i got the oppinion most of them where going to koh tao. Offcourse it is possible than a fair lot went to the fmp awell,

Almost everybody from Samui, who takes the train and bus to/from BKK go via URT/Don Sak not via Chumbon/KT/KPN. No wonder only a handful people get on/of at Samui. Probable only the ignorant ones and the ferry enthusiasts.

Yes. Also i went from bkk via donsak to samui. Just that majority of the people on the boat didnt jump of in samui. They followed the boat further. And like i said the lomprayha service didnt have many customers from samui. According to Bkk air they are half empty. So the people that claim that tourism is doing good, need to also explain how the tourits come here? Swimming?

Yes. Also i went from bkk via donsak to samui. Just that majority of the people on the boat didnt jump of in samui. They followed the boat further. And like i said the lomprayha service didnt have many customers from samui. According to Bkk air they are half empty. So the people that claim that tourism is doing good, need to also explain how the tourits come here? Swimming?

Haven't you heard about the tunnel ?

Haven't you heard about the tunnel ?

From England to france? Or Sweden-Denmark? Yep, heard of both of them. Drove both of them to be honest. :D .

Ok, back to topic....

nothing better to do so i just checked Bangkok Airways web site 20/21/22/23/24/25 December only one flight full from bkk to here, and thats the last promotion on i think it was 24th. if planes are full on those dates they never will, its definatly down massivly so and all i can say is som nam na what a dump this place is now

Although a few weeks ago now, I noticed Samui was very quiet, a drive down Chaweng beach the only people were the time share guys.....Hua Hin and Cha am are absolutly booming now....I think logisticaly Samui is badly placed, too far from BKK and only one very expensive airline. A return ticket for someone from the UK would now be almost 200 pounds, so a family of four.....do the maths, it just isnt worth the money any more...Samui needs cheaper air tickets and some real positive marketing, maybe then the tourists will return

Although a few weeks ago now, I noticed Samui was very quiet, a drive down Chaweng beach the only people were the time share guys.....Hua Hin and Cha am are absolutly booming now....I think logisticaly Samui is badly placed, too far from BKK and only one very expensive airline. A return ticket for someone from the UK would now be almost 200 pounds, so a family of four.....do the maths, it just isnt worth the money any more...Samui needs cheaper air tickets and some real positive marketing, maybe then the tourists will return

Spot on. Could be written by me. (I mean that as a complimant, beleive it or not :o ).

You are off course 100 % right in every word you say. For samuis future it would be good if somebody like you worked in the tourism assosiation, or went to their meetings and spoke up. According to a poster named Highdiver they are patting each others backs saying they are doing very good at this point. Unbeleivable. (ok, highdiver is known to bring bogus as "facts", but still).

I met some guys in Bkk saying they dont go to samui anymore becuse there´s no real option to travel there. The travel time is just to long. I asked them about flying there, and they said "yeah, right, for twice the price as phuket, like that´s gonna happen". I beleive every word in your post.

The following quote was posted today on the Hua Hin forum and it is high season there.

'Hua Hin is the best it's been in years. Not much traffic and not so many annoying tourists'

Lets just keep things in prospective here it is quiet all over Thailand and remember it is still LOW season here and it will be until the week before Christmas it always has been.

Some people on this forum remind me of the undertaker in Dad's Army well forgive me if I am not joining in we're all doomed.

Funny how people fly half way around the world to get away from it all on a small tropical island and then complain that they can't wait in long lines or traffic jams or fight for hotel rooms because there are not hundreds of thousands of tourists. Enjoy the coconut palms, that's what they are there for.

this just may be a flat period in Dec but i swear i was at central and it was like being on a private beach, there was not more than a hand full of tourist to be seen. some of the staff told me they have friends working in other resorts so low on tourist that they can not pay the staff. it looksas though more than 50% is missing

Do you mean the Samui Centara Grand Beach Resort Samui (Formerly Central Samui Beach Resort) on Chaweng Beach ?

The one with the enormous pilars and beautiful swimming pools with palmtrees inside.

LaoPo

correct the centara grand beach resort

Do us a favor please and go there again between 25th and 31st of this month; it would be interesting to learn how the situation isin the Christmas period. It's a 5* hotel after all...

LaoPo

"25th and 31st of this month" That will cover the high season for this year alright!!!

The following quote was posted today on the Hua Hin forum and it is high season there.

'Hua Hin is the best it's been in years. Not much traffic and not so many annoying tourists'

Lets just keep things in prospective here it is quiet all over Thailand and remember it is still LOW season here and it will be until the week before Christmas it always has been.

Some people on this forum remind me of the undertaker in Dad's Army well forgive me if I am not joining in we're all doomed.

I believe you are correct. As quoted in Saturdays Nation Newspaper. "Change predicted in travel industry."

"Fewer people on long distance trips. Fewer people in top or near top hotels. Fewer people from America, Australia and Europe. Many opting for shorter trips or lowcost airlines."

If I read this right the up side is, we should have an increase in local Asian tourists albiet for shorter periods.

Spot on. Could be written by me. (I mean that as a complimant, beleive it or not :o ).

You are off course 100 % right in every word you say. For samuis future it would be good if somebody like you worked in the tourism assosiation, or went to their meetings and spoke up. According to a poster named Highdiver they are patting each others backs saying they are doing very good at this point. Unbeleivable. (ok, highdiver is known to bring bogus as "facts", but still).

I met some guys in Bkk saying they dont go to samui anymore becuse there´s no real option to travel there. The travel time is just to long. I asked them about flying there, and they said "yeah, right, for twice the price as phuket, like that´s gonna happen". I beleive every word in your post.

1. i have never said that. i did however report that the tourist numbers this year are higher then last year. and i have proven you wrong twice on this debate only..

2. as always the season of November till before Christmas is low and has been for the past 9 years.

3. by you own words you are not involved in the tourist industry. so on what ground do you opinionated your self so much.

it would be nice if instead of just whinining about things you have no clue about you will bother to attend some meetings and see for your self that people on this island who actually deal in tourism are very concerned about the future of the island.. but they tend to check facts and not just blab about it...

4. you have no idea about the airline industry yet you opinionated on that as well.

**no flaming please--sbk**

Funny how people fly half way around the world to get away from it all on a small tropical island and then complain that they can't wait in long lines or traffic jams or fight for hotel rooms because there are not hundreds of thousands of tourists. Enjoy the coconut palms, that's what they are there for.

Yesss, less concrete, more coconuts tree.. :o

With less tourists Samui will be a paradise again, the only problem is that there are a lot of expensive resort to demolish...

REgarding BKK Airways cost i don't think getting free ticket to Samui from BKK will make any difference after having payed the ticket from europe (some airlines still charge 300E only for fuel surcharge...) :D

Qoute by highdiver in the thread "have you had it with bkk air?" 2008-11-28:

Once again i beg to differ. i am very involved in Samui tourist association as well as being invested in tourist related business.. it is a fact that there are more tourist this year then last year. if you care to dispute this please do provide facts.. not hear say from bar owners..

in the meeting held 2 months ago which was attended by most hoteliers on the island BKA marketing manager has presented the facts (you know numbers) and the facts are that BKA is bringing in more tourist then last year. As for speculations... i am sure there are some of the other members who regard my posts with a bit more credibility then yours.

Qoute by me today:

For samuis future it would be good if somebody like you worked in the tourism assosiation, or went to their meetings and spoke up. According to a poster named Highdiver they are patting each others backs saying they are doing very good at this point. Unbeleivable. (ok, highdiver is known to bring bogus as "facts", but still).

And highdiver answer also today:

1. i have never said that. i did however report that the tourist numbers this year are higher then last year. and i have proven you wrong twice on this debate only..

Where did you prove me wrong? That samui has more tourists than before? How did

you ever do that? And secondly, i have no idea about the airindustrie? I´m a

licenced pilot first of all since 1999 so i do have some clue. Secondly i

brought in facts to these two threads that bkk air themselves claim they are

flying here with halfempty planes. You are the only one i hear claiming that tourists numbers are up, and you keep thinking you proved it somehowe. How you ever proved this is beyond me?

And, you might aswell stop the flaming. They delete it anyway and all it does is

proving you are loweducated. Keep the discussion on a adult level or quit posting.

2. as always the season of November till before Christmas is low and has been for the past 9 years.

3. by you own words you are not involved in the tourist industry. so on what ground do you opinionated your self so much.

it would be nice if instead of just whinining about things you have no clue about you will bother to attend some meetings and see for your self that people on this island who actually deal in tourism are very concerned about the future of the island.. but they tend to check facts and not just blab about it...

4. you have no idea about the airline industry yet you opinionated on that as well.

**no flaming please--sbk**

this year is not and will not be "the last 9 years"....there are no tourists here and there won't be in a few weeks, at least not anything like the past. I was on Chaweng Noi Beach last night for a few hours...NO ONE. One does not need HD's superior intellect or incredible political connections with his Thai speaking and all...to just walk out on any of the beaches and see for yourselves...tourism-wise (and economy-wise) Samui is screwed....on the other hand, its not such a dump now! :D ...echos of paradise :D

Couldnt have said it better myself thaireless. This is really how simple it is. Chaweng is dead as a ghost town at night and the beach is almost empty. Have a chat with the ice-cream man and ask him how buisness is. Everything else is just bs. Still, my remark is mostly that hd claims the tourist assosiation say tourist numbers are up. If that infact is true it is a shame. But then again, we are all familiar with his "fact"-presentation so it might not be true. Tell us hd, did you pull a with lie this time or is it the truth that you did go to a meeting with hoteliers and tourism assosiation, were they al claimed tourist numbers are up this year compare to same time last year? Honestly now. Please. It´s a fair question.

REgarding BKK Airways cost i don't think getting free ticket to Samui from BKK will make any difference after having payed the ticket from europe (some airlines still charge 300E only for fuel surcharge...) :o

Last June I flew r/t Samui-BKK-Helsinki. Samui-BKK cost about one third of BKK-Helsinki. Make of that what you will.

REgarding BKK Airways cost i don't think getting free ticket to Samui from BKK will make any difference after having payed the ticket from europe (some airlines still charge 300E only for fuel surcharge...) :o

Last June I flew r/t Samui-BKK-Helsinki. Samui-BKK cost about one third of BKK-Helsinki. Make of that what you will.

First word that pops up in my head is "robbery".