What Is Next For Thailand? Whos in charge now / is it really over

onlooker

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The authorities should lock these people up , they have already destroyed the ability of thousands of people to earn a living and that trend will continue for quite some time ot come . This is not only in reference to Thailand , but also includes the ripple effect it has sent around the world , one instance i have read here on TV is that a man found quotes for air fares from America are up 74% , now try to say that tourism to Thailand will bounce back as Thais are resilient . They can only be resilient in Thailand when things return to normal and i think with that kind of fare increase , that will be no time soon .

the court ruling achieves nothing.

PPP still have the house majority, sure the head has been chopped off, but a new one will quickly grow, as history has proved.

then more PAD protests.

PAD will only stop when the democrat party are in power, at that can not possibly happen by democratic means as PPP have an overwhelming democratic majority.

if any thing, the court ruling makes civil war even more likely.

Sure its not over. Mr Toxin is just laying up in wait.

And this from the Bangkok Post:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=135127

'PAD spokesmen said the protesters will "allow flights" to and from Suvarnabhumi, but warned they will stay at the factility and could retake control at any time.

"The next government must sincerely agree to introduce new politics and must not be a puppet regime for Thaksin Shinawatra," said a statement by the PAD.

The protest will continue in an area of the airport which will not interfere with passengers for now, said the PAD.'

:o

In our small Issan village, the village headsman has about as much authority as I do. Buddha help the person who tries to tell my Thai wife how to vote. She was happy that they threw Thaksin out but was VERY upset when they put Samak in. She said he was worse than Thaksin. She was actually a PAD supporter but now thinks they went too far.

In our small Issan village, the village headsman has about as much authority as I do. Buddha help the person who tries to tell my Thai wife how to vote. She was happy that they threw Thaksin out but was VERY upset when they put Samak in. She said he was worse than Thaksin. She was actually a PAD supporter but now thinks they went too far.

My wife also originally from Loei says more or less the same apart from liking PAD village head man has no power. She says up to her who she votes for.

The unknown factor is what has gone on behind the scenes. We don't know whether the rhetoric yesterday was a face saving measure or not. It is possible they have been given an ultimatum behind the scenes and this is the last of them. If the message wasn't strong enough we will find out soon enough. A case of watch this space .. mid month to find out the answer.

The unknown factor is what has gone on behind the scenes. We don't know whether the rhetoric yesterday was a face saving measure or not. It is possible they have been given an ultimatum behind the scenes and this is the last of them. If the message wasn't strong enough we will find out soon enough. A case of watch this space .. mid month to find out the answer.

Clearly this is a pre-December 5th exercise.

But also worth remembering - the PAD protest has totally failed. The PPP were dissolved by the courts, not the PAD protest, and the fallout of that protest has damaged the country's economy and shamed Thailand and badly damaged its image around the world. Whoever controls the PAD clearly told them to stop now, before the 5th, but after that it's anyone's guess.

Here is a clear threat to take the airports AGAIN.
"The next government must sincerely agree to introduce new politics and must not be a puppet regime for Thaksin Shinawatra," said a statement by the PAD.

Otherwise, it continued, the airports may be seized and shut down again.

Bangkok Post

Before people blame for PAD for this, although that is understandable, why not blame Thaksin? Why can't he just leave this be for the best interests of the Thai people, and move on to a beach in the Bahamas or a ranch in the Congo, and let the Thai people have a leader who is NOT a puppet of Thaksin? His current tack of going back into politics, as a convicted fugitive, is not the act of an innocent man who has the best interests of his country in mind. The ex PPP have within their power to select a new PM who is NOT a Thaksin puppet, someone who will reach out to the concerns of PAD and the Thai democrats, for the best interest of their country. So when that does not happen, and it won't, who is to blame exactly?

If the ex-PPP did select a new Prime Minister who was not controlled by Thaksin or the groups that control PAD, the opposition would claim he was a puppet anyway.

THEY want the power. It is called politics. :o

If the ex-PPP did select a new Prime Minister who was not controlled by Thaksin or the groups that control PAD, the opposition would claim he was a puppet anyway.

THEY want the power. It is called politics. :o

Correction Mr. G:

They want absolute power.

History is a great indicator of how this will end up. :D

Fact A ) Somebody posted recently saying they had an orphaned monkey that needed a home

Fact B ) Thailand needs a new leader

Now, can anyone see where I'm going with this...

George W. isn't Thai nationality......

That monkey in Hartlepool sure got a bad deal, must have been the accent.

Regarding the political situation, I can see little change then: the remaining members of the coalition will simply reform under a different banner, put forward a new PM who will not be acceptable to PAD and here we go again. Meanwhile the economy goes to pot, crime rises, and living standards fall.

The real controllers seem to be the army, if they withdraw support from a govt it is finished; wow! democracy in action.

Indeed a failed state. Thailand is in big trouble.

They don't need to reeducate the rural poor. They rural vote is controlled by the village headmasters, who are beholden to the Thaksin regime.

The military tried to break that after the coup by bribing them with lifetime appointments instead of elections, but Thaksin had years to set that network up. You can't knock that down in a few months.

No, the only way to get Thaksin out of the rural villages has nothing to do with education. It will require seizing the government and spending a decade systematically destroying his political machine village headman by village headman.

Anyone who thinks education will change anything is completely missing the point. The rural voters do not vote independently. I've watched my wife's family. Except for a few, they vote as a village block. As long as the headman says that Thaksin is best for the village, most will vote for Thaksin. The money they get isn't even viewed as paying for their vote...just a kind of patronage for helping our man win.

There is no solution to this as long as Thaksin is alive and fighting short of a decade long military takeover or civil war.

That's the dilemma in a nutshell, well said. It's no coincidence that the two major leaders of the PAD were once major Thaksin supporters. Or that one of Thaksin's own chief legal counsels pronounced him 'the most dangerous man in Thailand' (before he fled the 2nd time).

Edited by wayfarer108

They don't need to reeducate the rural poor. They rural vote is controlled by the village headmasters, who are beholden to the Thaksin regime.

The military tried to break that after the coup by bribing them with lifetime appointments instead of elections, but Thaksin had years to set that network up. You can't knock that down in a few months.

No, the only way to get Thaksin out of the rural villages has nothing to do with education. It will require seizing the government and spending a decade systematically destroying his political machine village headman by village headman.

Anyone who thinks education will change anything is completely missing the point. The rural voters do not vote independently. I've watched my wife's family. Except for a few, they vote as a village block. As long as the headman says that Thaksin is best for the village, most will vote for Thaksin. The money they get isn't even viewed as paying for their vote...just a kind of patronage for helping our man win.

There is no solution to this as long as Thaksin is alive and fighting short of a decade long military takeover or civil war.

That's the dilemma in a nutshell, well said. It's no coincidence that the two major leaders of the PAD were once major Thaksin supporters. Or that one of Thaksin's own chief legal counsels pronounced him 'the most dangerous man in Thailand' (before he fled the 2nd time).

Very well said.

I'm tired of the pro-Pad vs pro-Thaksin members here that think they know Thai politics.

Some of you should stop and think about why they hate Thaksin. Is he more corrupt than the rest of them? I say he is NOT, they hate him because he is smarter than the rest and some of them got pushed out of the feed trough. Study up on Sondhi a bit and you will see why he hates Thaksin.

Some of you should stop and think about why they hate Thaksin. Is he more corrupt than the rest of them? I say he is NOT, they hate him because he is smarter than the rest and some of them got pushed out of the feed trough. Study up on Sondhi a bit and you will see why he hates Thaksin.

Bingo!

As I understand it, the PM has been sacked and the ruling parties disbanded, so we don't have a government.

So who is in charge?

Will there be another rehash?

Will there be new elections?

Another draft?

Anybody care to give an overview.

why dont we get opinions from the 300,000 stranded passengers.. maybe they will give some interesting thoughts (see if they give a hoot???)

Clearly this is a pre-December 5th exercise.

But also worth remembering - the PAD protest has totally failed. The PPP were dissolved by the courts, not the PAD protest, and the fallout of that protest has damaged the country's economy and shamed Thailand and badly damaged its image around the world. Whoever controls the PAD clearly told them to stop now, before the 5th, but after that it's anyone's guess.

Without PAD the PPP would have changed the constitution.

I think many things are going on behind doors now and I think Sondhi knows something we don't.

might be that proportional MPs can't change to the new party, or that a fraction is changing side or something else....

How many more pending cases are there against the ex-administration MPs loyal to Mr. T? They have managed to red-card the original MPs under the now defunct TRT. Did the same to the PPP and two other parties.

Now it is Puea Thai's Turn. What are the chances that the party leader will be red-carded in the future for some trumped up charge?