Changing From Tourist To "o"visa For Retirement

Going to try to change my Tourist visa to a "O" Visa tomorrow what paperwork will I require also I know that it might be a bit early to ask (with the new rule changes) but have a baby due in February would it be better to wait and apply for Support of a child Visa so only 400000B would be required

1. Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

2. Copy of passport entries. (Photo page, visa entry and permit to stay stamps)

3. 4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

4. Application fee of 2,000 baht.

5. A guarantee letter from bank in Thailand showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 baht, and

Copy all pages of bank passbook and

A document proving foreign remittance(SWIFT) Or

6. A guarantee-letter from The Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension or income of the applicant not less than 65,000 baht per month. Or

7. The total amount of money from the pension and bank account as stated above not less than 800,000 baht.

I don't have enough firm information about what the new requirements for an extension to support a child will be. The one thing that could be a problem from the preliminary translation that I have seen is that it is up to the immigration office how they apply this and the individuals cituation. I suspect some offices will want you to have sole custody of the child if you are not married to the mother of the child. This has been required by some immigration offices under the old rules.

It is up to you if you want to wait and see how it is applied to your particular situation.

1. Application for Visa Status Alteration. (TM.86)

Application for visa. (TM.87)

2. Copy of passport entries. (Photo page, visa entry and permit to stay stamps)

3. 4 X 6 cm. Photograph.

4. Application fee of 2,000 baht.

5. A guarantee letter from bank in Thailand showing that the applicant has an account of not less than 800,000 baht, and

Copy all pages of bank passbook and

A document proving foreign remittance(SWIFT) Or

6. A guarantee-letter from The Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension or income of the applicant not less than 65,000 baht per month. Or

7. The total amount of money from the pension and bank account as stated above not less than 800,000 baht.

I don't have enough firm information about what the new requirements for an extension to support a child will be. The one thing that could be a problem from the preliminary translation that I have seen is that it is up to the immigration office how they apply this and the individuals cituation. I suspect some offices will want you to have sole custody of the child if you are not married to the mother of the child. This has been required by some immigration offices under the old rules.

It is up to you if you want to wait and see how it is applied to your particular situation.

Do I need to have both forms TM86 and TM87 filled in and 2000B for each form. I think that I will apply for a Retirement Extention as this seems more clear cut at the moment any other requirement for getting one

Yes you need both forms. The cost for the change of visa is 2000 baht not per form.

What they do is change your tourist visa to a non-o that can then be extended for 1 year. When you do that you will pay an additional 1900 baht for the extension. The form for an extension is a TM7. You will need all the same documents when you do the extension.

You can download all the forms here. Link: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=download

Edited by ubonjoe

Yes you need both forms. The cost for the change of visa is 2000 baht not per form.

What they do is change your tourist visa to a non-o that can then be extended for 1 year. When you do that you will pay an additional 1900 baht for the extension. The form for an extension is a TM7. You will need all the same documents when you do the extension.

You can download all the forms here. Link: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=download

Thanks for your quick reply

I went to Jomtien to get my Tourist Visa changed to a "O" visa with the intention off going for a retirement extension ASAP. I took a gamble and went with a completed TM7, TM86 and TM87 2 copies of my bank book with 800000B in it for three months and a letter from the bank confirming this, 2 copies of my passport, visa page and departure form Passport and bank book I gave him all the papers I had he gave me back the TM87 but asked me to copy the letter from the Bank Manager and asked me for 3900B I ended up with a number to collect my Passport on Monday it seems like I am allowed to stay till March 4 2010 and have to report before March 4 2009 or be fined 2000B and have to get a exit visa if I have to leave the country all done in about 20 minutes after a 30 minute wait I think that it means that I can start to use my 800000B straight away but I think that I will wait till Monday till I can see what I have got

I went to Jomtien to get my Tourist Visa changed to a "O" visa with the intention off going for a retirement extension ASAP. I took a gamble and went with a completed TM7, TM86 and TM87 2 copies of my bank book with 800000B in it for three months and a letter from the bank confirming this, 2 copies of my passport, visa page and departure form Passport and bank book I gave him all the papers I had he gave me back the TM87 but asked me to copy the letter from the Bank Manager and asked me for 3900B I ended up with a number to collect my Passport on Monday it seems like I am allowed to stay till March 4 2010 and have to report before March 4 2009 or be fined 2000B and have to get a exit visa if I have to leave the country all done in about 20 minutes after a 30 minute wait I think that it means that I can start to use my 800000B straight away but I think that I will wait till Monday till I can see what I have got

It looks good. :o

I want to thank everybody that help me to sort out my Retirement Extension over the last few months went and picked up my Passport from Jomtien today all stamped up to the 4th March 2010 I was surprised that it was so easy but I guess having the correct paperwork etc. was a big help

he gave me back the TM87
Yes you need both [TM86, TM87] forms.

It's either/or. Converting a tourist visa to a Non Imm is the TM86. Converting a visa exempt entry to a Non Imm is the TM87.

I am not sure about that. I think the immigration officer did a short cut in the paper work.

Most reports are that both forms are needed and they give you a non-o and then extend that visa.

Edited by ubonjoe

I am not sure about that. I think the immigration officer did a short cut in the paper work.

Most reports are that both forms are needed and they give you a non-o and then extend that visa.

Just checked my passport 2 pages of stamps 1 stamp says non "O" Retirement dated 4 Dec to 3 Mar the next stamp says Retirement and something that looks like a number 9622/5 dated 3 Mar 2010 and yesterdays date on it on the next page big stamp titled NON-IMMIGRANT VISA and over it it is stamped USED 4 Dec 2008 I hope this helps to make it clear what the immigration officer did for me

It's either/or. Converting a tourist visa to a Non Imm is the TM86. Converting a visa exempt entry to a Non Imm is the TM87.

TM.86 or TM.87 for change of visa; TM.7 for extension of stay.

--

Maestro

I think that the best idea would be to do both I worked on the principle that I rather take to much than not enough that is why I took a completed TM7 as well and plenty of copies of everything it worked well in my case now it freed off 800000B for me to use instead of getting 51B to the Pound Sterling

TM.86 or TM.87 for change of visa

Not to make too big a case of this -- but the title of the TM.86 is "Application for Change of Visa." The title of the TM.87 is "Application for Visa." The bodies of each have identical areas to be filled in. And each needs to be accompanied with 2000 baht, which each form clearly indicates is non-refundable.

So, it's the TM.86 to change your tourist visa to a non immigrant visa. And the TM.87 to get a non immigrant visa after entering on a visa-exempt stamp.

Hand them both in, if you want -- but expect to have the one that's NOT applicable handed back to you. (Or shitcanned after you depart.)

that is why I took a completed TM7 as well and plenty of copies of everything

Good to hear Jomtien is so accommodating. I think the same thing happened a few years ago, when Wpcoe got same-day service there, going from a visa exempt, to a non imm, to a one-year retirement extension.

Anybody remember similar same-day service at other Immigration offices?