Driving Licence - Definitive Guide Please

looby

:o Would anyone be so kind as to supply me with a complete list of what is required and where to get everything for a Thai driving licence.

Thanking you in advance.

p.s. this is because i have read you need photos, then that they must be a certain (unquoted) size, then that they take them at the driving licence office, which one is true?

You no longer need photos, as with the new plastic drivers license they will take your photo. You need a letter of residency from Immigration, 200 Baht, a medical certificate 50-100 baht from any local doctor, copies of your passport, ID page, Visa page, and allowed to date page. If you have an international license bring that with you as you would not have to take any tests if your international license allows you to drive whatever you are applying for.

That's about it as far as I can remember.

Barry

You no longer need photos, as with the new plastic drivers license they will take your photo. You need a letter of residency from Immigration, 200 Baht, a medical certificate 50-100 baht from any local doctor, copies of your passport, ID page, Visa page, and allowed to date page. If you have an international license bring that with you as you would not have to take any tests if your international license allows you to drive whatever you are applying for.

Barry

Or work permit....if here working you dont need a letter of residency...

If you you have an IDL attached to your countries DL, all they will make you do is a colour vision test, depth perception test (at least I think that is what it is testing) and reaction test...and your done...1 year Thai DL

You no longer need photos, as with the new plastic drivers license they will take your photo. residenYou need a letter of residency from Immigration, 200 Baht, a medical certificate 50-100 baht from any local doctor, copies of your passport, ID page, Visa page, and allowed to date page. If you have an international license bring that with you as you would not have to take any tests if your international license allows you to drive whatever you are applying for.

Barry

However you do need photographs when you go to Immigration for your letter of Residency. Also the time I took my International driving licence I had to get all the page photocopied. And if you plan on applying for car and motor bike licence each one is a seperate licence...so take twice the paper work!

And it is has to be a 1 year Visa. No 30 day stamp (or Tourist Visas).

This is not true. A friend has just obtained a one-year car and motorcycle licence (in Pattaya) and all he has is a 30-day entry stamp.

I'm not sure how he managed that. Every site I've seen notes a requirement to have a Non-Immigrant Visa. I would have gone for my Thai license a long time ago if I thought I could get it on just a 30 day stamp.

From the Thai Consul website (in Hull, UK):

To apply for a Thai Driving Licence it is necessary to provide the following:-

a) Passport with valid Non-immigrant Visa. Please note it is not possible to obtain

a Thai Driving Licence with a Tourist Visa.

From the Pattaya City Expats Club website:

For those seeking their first Thai driving license - You must have an "O" Non-immigrant Visa to get a Drivers License for a car or a motorcycle.

Driving in Thailand website (http://driving.information.in.th/driving-licence.html)

What you will need when applying for your thai drivers license:

Valid Passport with Valid Non-immigrant Visa

From the Canadian Embassy website:

Thai Driver's Licence

The Department of Land Transport is responsible for the registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licences in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's Licence, Canadians will require the following:

A valid non-immigrant visa (and work permit),

From eThailand.com:

Qualifying requirements

2. In a case where an applicant is not a resident, the applicant must hold a Non-Immigrant Visa.

I could probably spend the rest of the night adding more sites.

I'd love to find out that you can get a license with a 30 day stamp. I have no need (currently) for a Non-Imm visa, but for the months I'm in Thailand I'd prefer to be driving the moto around with a Thai license instead of an IDP (plus the ability to use the license as ID, instead of carrying around photocopies of my passport).

I have no need (currently) for a Non-Imm visa, but for the months I'm in Thailand I'd prefer to be driving the moto around with a Thai license instead of an IDP (plus the ability to use the license as ID, instead of carrying around photocopies of my passport).

And you can get into Nong Nooch gardens for 100 Baht rather than the Farang price of 400 baht :o

I would suggest that a way to know for sure if a 30 day stamp will get you a DL is for someone to go there and apply and then report the result here.

They write books of rules and regs and many of us know that when you get to the offices to do whatever they interpret the rules how they want.

I'd love to find out that you can get a license with a 30 day stamp. I have no need (currently) for a Non-Imm visa, but for the months I'm in Thailand I'd prefer to be driving the moto around with a Thai license instead of an IDP (plus the ability to use the license as ID, instead of carrying around photocopies of my passport).

Why not confirm for yourself?...... go an try it. As longball infers......... in Thailand, nothing is written in tablets of stone. Websites, agencies, embassies, whatever, spout disinformation all the time and I'm aware that you could spend all night adding others to your list.

I'll definitely try it next time I'm home.

It does seem that the rules are interpreted in different ways on different days, in many aspects of life in LoS.

Like some people being able to open bank accounts with only 30 day stamps in their passport, while other people are (allegedly) told they can't open an account with a Non-Imm "O" visa.

Friend of mine was told he couldn't get 1st Class insurance for his Harley unless he had a Non-Imm visa and Thai driving licence. I got 1st Class insurance for my Harley with a 30 day stamp and an IDP.

Won't be back until February though, just in time for the Burapa Bike Week. We'll see what happens then.

With regard to all the photocopies that you must provide, you need to sign EVERY page.

Suggest you take a selection of small change with you, the lady that handled that part of the process was less than friendly toward us 'stupid' falang that either didn't bring the right paper or the right money.

The other staff at the Banglamung (Pattaya) Land Transport Office were fine and spoke enough English to direct you to do what you needed to.

I hear that mornings are busy, we (both I and a member of staff needed his DL as well) went at 1pm (I think) at the start of the afternoon session (they close for lunch), it was still busy but we were both processed by about 4pm.

You don't need to buy they plastic card covers at 10 Baht a time, it's their office side line.

For last minute photocopies etc. there are a few cafe / copy / 'helper' type shops just outside the LTO complex.

Most important point - take something to read, but don't miss your number being called - they have no interest in tracking you down if you miss your turn.

HTH.

I got the one year licence on a 30 day tourist visa, I think the wife being Thai helps and she explained that she has been asking me to get one for years as I work out of the country I didnt give a Damm. Anyway she won, I got one.

This year got me the 5 year one, maybe the same reason I dont know.

But you are correct it does say Non-Imm "O" visa required, the Long haired one said, dont worry just watch.

Its good for Id as well.

Thats variable.. Seen them given out to people without 1 year non imms here on phuket.

Technically you need a non imm to own a vehicle but thats almost never enforced either.

I got the one year licence on a 30 day tourist visa, I think the wife being Thai helps and she explained that she has been asking me to get one for years as I work out of the country I didnt give a Damm. Anyway she won, I got one.

This year got me the 5 year one, maybe the same reason I dont know.

But you are correct it does say Non-Imm "O" visa required, the Long haired one said, dont worry just watch.

Its good for Id as well.

FWIW, I tried that route also (work outside the country) and even took the baby along. Lat Yao (Nakhon Sawan) was very insistent that I have the proper stamp in my passport. Looks like I may have to make a trip down to Sin City to get one....

One other point, if you come from a non english speaking country and your licence is in your local language (not english) then you will have to have it translated into english and certified by your embassy first. At least in Pattaya you do.

And a friend of mine from the UK also got a 1 year Thai licence from Pattaya last year whilst here on a 30 day VOA stamp in his passport.

One other point, if you come from a non english speaking country and your licence is in your local language (not english) then you will have to have it translated into english and certified by your embassy first. At least in Pattaya you do.

And a friend of mine from the UK also got a 1 year Thai licence from Pattaya last year whilst here on a 30 day VOA stamp in his passport.

When I wanted a Thai license (back 2 years or so and in Phuket) they did not accept home country licenses as a way to get a Thai without the test, it had to be a current valid IDP and the IDP is obviously translated into multiple languages.

So your post implies that in your area they do accept standard home country licenses ?? I heard that was only possible for ASEAN ones.

When I wanted a Thai license (back 2 years or so and in Phuket) they did not accept home country licenses as a way to get a Thai without the test, it had to be a current valid IDP and the IDP is obviously translated into multiple languages.

So your post implies that in your area they do accept standard home country licenses ?? I heard that was only possible for ASEAN ones.

Yes in Pattaya they will issue a 1 year licence when you produce you home country licence (in english) and pass the eye,perception and reaction tests. They don't ask to see an IDP. The IDP is not a licence on its own any way, it is only valid if you also produce your home country licence anyway.

I would always advise people to get a Thai licence anyway. A few years ago I was was driving through Korat on my way home to Chonburi when I was stopped at a checkpoint. I produced my UK licence with a valid IDP but they said it wasn't acceptable and was only valid in tourist areas like Pattaya. I new this wasn't true but it was a Sunday night, our daughter had school the following morning, and if I didn't give them 400 baht tea money they would keep my licence and I would have to wait untill the next day and go 80km in the other direction to get it back. I didn't think they could take my UK licence either but wasn't prepared to argue with them so I paid up and went and got a Thai licence the next day. I've never had a problem since, I should have just got one in the first place.

Not true!!!! I got a 1-year licence 2 weeks ago on a 30-day tourist visa.

In Thailand its not wise to jump to 'true' or 'not true' based on a single experience.. Your experiences in one place will be vastly different from experiences in another.. The rules change not only over time, by different offices, but even by different officers within the same office on the same dam_n day sometimes.

Secondly theres no such thing as a 30 day tourist visa !

I understand there is an english language set of multiple choice Q's..

Hi

I had an international driving permit which entitled me automatically to a Thai licence both motorbike & car, apart from paperwork all I had to do was take color chart test.

Not a forgone conclusion bearing in mind it had been in the sun for years and all colors looked the same!

ThaiPhoo :o

Alright already !

So some people have been lucky. Good for you.

Forgive me for pointing out that EVERYWHERE I have looked states you HAVE to have a a Non-Imm visa (yeah I know, I only included 6 examples, but obviously, they are all incorrect and should be ignored.)

(I just wonder how many have NOT gotten a license with only a 30 day stamp, or a Tourist Visa in their passport. Want to bet it's more than just a couple ?)