Foreign Diplomats Call For Boost Of Thai Airport Security

george

Foreign diplomats call for boost of Thai airport security

BANGKOK: -- Foreign diplomats from world's major powerhouses asked Thailand on Thursday to step up security and safety measures at the Thai airports after a week long seizure by anti-government protesters.

Ambassadors from the United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand and European Union (EU) met the Foreign Ministry's Permanent Secretary Virasakdi Futrakul to discuss the matter.

They ambassadors said they respected Thai domestic affairs and people's basic right of assembly but the airport occupation for political purpose was not acceptable.

In a joint statement, the envoys welcomed the end of an eight-day blockade but said it was "most regrettable and highly inappropriate" that protesters had been able to seize Suvarnabhumi international and Don Mueang domestic airport.

"We urge the government of Thailand to take all necessary measures to improve the protection and security of all Thai airports, so as to avoid the recurrence of a similar seizure in the future," the statement said.

Virasakdi told the envoys that the Thai authorities also regretted over the incident that stranded many foreign passengers at the airports for a week.

According to the ministry deputy spokesman Thani Thongpakdi, Thailand ensured the diplomats that it would step up measures to prevent the recurrent,

"We had mapped out the plans on the day (when the protester seized the airports) but as the protest was shielded by women, elders and children, the authorities could not use forces to disperse the protesters," Thani quoted Virasakdi as saying to the diplomats.

The protesters led by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) ended their occupation at Suvarnnabhumi and Don Mueang airports Tuesday after the Constitutional Court ruled to dissolve three of six coalition parties.

They vowed to resume street battle if members of dissolved parties packed to form a new government, which they believed has strong connection with deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

-- The Nation 2008-12-04

One pities the Ministry spokesman but he is having to cover Thailand's national disgrace with a lie.The invasion of the airports by PAD's fascist thugs (it doesn't matter about the grannies and kids used as a shield) was encouraged and financed by the ruling elite.No wonder the diplomats are horrified.

thai rulling class hasn't got much common sense, they don't listen to the local population nor world public opinion. Somehow I don't think they will listen to pressure from the foreign powers.

rolling straith into an abbyse

Here's a suggestion for improvement:

Post a policeman outside the airports, on a 24/7 basis. That way, when the protesters arrive next time (oh, they will come back, this strategy proved to be successful...), the policeman in place can start talking with the protesters straight away so the police don't have to wait a day or two before trying to talk the protesters away, as they did this time around...

TiT... :o

On a more serious note, the language used by the foreign diplomats, as described by OP above, seems to be very sharp and extremely to the point, for diplomats... "Beef up security and do not allow this to happen again - or there will be consequences!"

About bloody time, if you ask me...

The same international governments need to be putting pressure on Thailand to ensure the the leaders of PAD at the very least are arrested and charged over the very many laws that they broke.

The masses that assisted should also be held to account in the way of fines or whatever.

The chances of this happening -slim!

The same international governments need to be putting pressure on Thailand to ensure the the leaders of PAD at the very least are arrested and charged over the very many laws that they broke.

The masses that assisted should also be held to account in the way of fines or whatever.

And therein is the problem. Plenty of laws - but no enforcement. I have never understood it. Why have laws if they are not to be enforced? It appears to be endemic. Is this a cultural issue?

It's a very bad thing when the police or other security forces can't or won't do their job and is one of the reasons Thailand is now deservedly regarded as one of the most dangerous locations on the planet. What chance of foiling a major terorist attack ?. Thailand has made itself an outcast in more ways than one.

UNSAFE AND A DISGRACE

One pities the Ministry spokesman but he is having to cover Thailand's national disgrace with a lie.The invasion of the airports by PAD's fascist thugs (it doesn't matter about the grannies and kids used as a shield) was encouraged and financed by the ruling elite.No wonder the diplomats are horrified.

One pities all parties at the meeting; one of those know the issues and talk around them meetings.

Unfortunately the possibility of these fiascoes happening again is fairly high and I doubt international pressure is going to make much difference.

The whole country needs to be booted into the 21st century but rather strangely looks as though it is going in reverse back to the 19th.

The only rather tedious problem with this little escapade is that thousands of peoples' livelihoods and jobs have been trashed and it is probably expected that they are going to sit idly by. The other possibility is that it will create a powder keg of unrest.

I think the international community is serious in its demands because of the way it affected all those countries at the same time . I feel it would behove Thailand to sit up , listen good for a change , and take whatever action is neccessary to prevent a recurrence of the debacle that occured , for their own future good . The re-routing of flights to other airports would possibly be far less hastle to them than that which the PAD malfunctionists created by its lack of forethought .

I personally think that the security of Thailand's Suvanarbhumi International Airport should have been in place a long time ago, long before this recent incident.

As far as I'm aware I have never seen armed uniformed police officers patrolling this airport, or manning key positions, yeh their MAY be plain clothed armed police officers padding around the terminals but they are no deterrent.

Unlike other International Airports, ie JFK, LHR, DXB.

This Airport is basically protected by private security who's officer's concept is very limited, but no doubt chaired by some former Thai general as these establishments often are ............

It's no wonder worried nations have had their representatives address their concerns direct to the Thai government, no wonder. After all, one of the most modern International Airports in the world was overun by a 'bunch of farmers', the 1st line of defence the private security provider legged it (fact).

I am sure that the people who arranged this seizure have little or no interest in anyone else except themselves. They could not care if a million people lose employment, could not care if the Thai economy suffers, and certainly do not care about foreigners ! They are solvent and can weather whatever storm comes their way - they have the money and power ( as already demonstrated ). They do not want to lose it.

more and more thai start questioning the ruling elite motives - not only hush, hush in a family circle, but almost publicly, like not at all anonymous taxi drivers speaking with the passengers. There won't be much about the issue in the mass media, but by now everybody knows just by the word of mouth. With possibly millions loosing an employement and livelyhood, the ruling class might have a storm to ride

Edited by londonthai

Thais are not the best at planning ahead. What sorts of precautions are on the drawing board for the real possibility of future attempts to take one of both airports? Can the doors be locked? Are security personnel drilled for various scenarios? Even in grammar school kids have fire drills and such - as a way to prepare for calamitous events. Are some security officials armed or have quick access to arms? Are they allowed to fire in to the air if a threat is perceived? I don't doubt some of the protesters would be cowed by shots in the air.

Is there some sort of alarm system which would alert the closest security personnel?

I'm curious, when PAD began their take-over of the airports - how much warning was there. Did a thousand cars drive up and yellow shirted folks just amble over and in to the terminals?

Someone mentioned preparedness in Thailand for worse scenarios. So true. Though I don't cherish the thought of having added security measures in cities and plumb target areas (resorts, airports, SEC, etc.) - I do understand their need in this crazy world - and am willing to accept added security measures - as long as they don't get too out of line (random pat-downs, pee in a jar, rifling through computers and/or mobiles). I hate to say it, but if appearances are any indication, Bkk, Pattaya, Phuket would be easy targets for anyone intent on nefarious activities.

There are three power groups in Thailand. They are the old elites (which include the army generals), big business (Thaksin+allies who have won the hearts and minds of the poor who were unattended to by the other two groups), and the emergent middle-class.

None can implement its policy, as the other two are against it. One can be openly against, and the other stand by, possibly giving hidden support but pretending to be neutral.

There are also power groups within each of those groups. It makes USA and UK politics look simple.

Basically, it has been going on for 76 years and looks set for at least another generation.

Fortunately, PAD has only wrecked the tourist industry, which was going to go under anyway, due to Western recession/slump/Depression. That is bad, but a ruined rice harvest would have been worse.

The Thai land can feed all the Thai people and they can be housed adequately and they have lots of ways of having fun without having to find more than a modicum of cash.

It'll be messy, and painful for some, but Thailand will cope better than many, many countries.

In fact, we may come to say that when we, who had discovered rural Thailand, said "GoodBye" to globalisation, we could have added "And Good Riddance".

Edited by Martin

Here's a suggestion for improvement:

Post a policeman outside the airports, on a 24/7 basis. That way, when the protesters arrive next time (oh, they will come back, this strategy proved to be successful...), the policeman in place can start talking with the protesters straight away so the police don't have to wait a day or two before trying to talk the protesters away, as they did this time around...

TiT... :o

On a more serious note, the language used by the foreign diplomats, as described by OP above, seems to be very sharp and extremely to the point, for diplomats... "Beef up security and do not allow this to happen again - or there will be consequences!"

About bloody time, if you ask me...

In diplo-speak this is a real shot across the bow.

As done by a marine convoy of international makeup.

Surely such law enforcement / punishment measures are an internal Thai affair. No nation on earth would tolerate being told by another how to carry out internal law enforcement.

There are two issues here, one of the security of the airport itself and the other on security inside the airport perimeter.

The former has to be addressed by the Thai police force and, if necessary, the army. Hereby lies the rub. Neither force is necessarily behoven to the government of the day. Until that issue is resolved, and that means total separation of the government and politicians in general from the internal working of the forces, Thailand will continue to be jerked around by various self interest groups. Today it is PAD, tomorrow ABC, next day TIT and so it goes on. But of course Thailand's government is predominantly ex forces personnel and their chums left behind in uniform expect a little consideration in terms of promotion etc.

The latter is another issue altogether and is, in a sense, more important. But that's off topic in this thread.

"We had mapped out the plans on the day (when the protester seized the airports) but as the protest was shielded by women, elders and children, the authorities could not use forces to disperse the protesters," Thani quoted Virasakdi as saying to the diplomats.

What a load of crap...........

Cops were worried about getting their ass kicked by the military

Thais are not the best at planning ahead. What sorts of precautions are on the drawing board for the real possibility of future attempts to take one of both airports? Can the doors be locked? Are security personnel drilled for various scenarios? Even in grammar school kids have fire drills and such - as a way to prepare for calamitous events. Are some security officials armed or have quick access to arms? Are they allowed to fire in to the air if a threat is perceived? I don't doubt some of the protesters would be cowed by shots in the air.

Is there some sort of alarm system which would alert the closest security personnel?

I'm curious, when PAD began their take-over of the airports - how much warning was there. Did a thousand cars drive up and yellow shirted folks just amble over and in to the terminals?

Someone mentioned preparedness in Thailand for worse scenarios. So true. Though I don't cherish the thought of having added security measures in cities and plumb target areas (resorts, airports, SEC, etc.) - I do understand their need in this crazy world - and am willing to accept added security measures - as long as they don't get too out of line (random pat-downs, pee in a jar, rifling through computers and/or mobiles). I hate to say it, but if appearances are any indication, Bkk, Pattaya, Phuket would be easy targets for anyone intent on nefarious activities.

My general memory is that there was 8-12 hours of advance warning before they arrived.

What a load of crap...........

Cops were worried about getting their ass kicked by the military

Although the diplomats are used to such statements from Thai officials, I think in this case, it would have been considered an insult to their intelligence. The countries delivering the protest all come from countries that have prominently featured travel advisories warning of airport disruptions. They had previously expressed their concerns to the Thai government. If this happens again, I would expect these countries making an explicit statement of not traveling under any circumstances including the inability to provide consular services. It's been done previously in respect to countries like Sierra Leone, Liberia, Zimbabwe, and East Timor. Good company to be in............

Although the diplomats are used to such statements from Thai officials, I think in this case, it would have been considered an insult to their intelligence. The countries delivering the protest all come from countries that have prominently featured travel advisories warning of airport disruptions. They had previously expressed their concerns to the Thai government. If this happens again, I would expect these countries making an explicit statement of not traveling under any circumstances including the inability to provide consular services. It's been done previously in respect to countries like Sierra Leone, Liberia, Zimbabwe, and East Timor. Good company to be in............

Well the airlines mentioned specifically that they will deliver a statement to the authorities as well as they didn't like to be forced to restart their operations this quickly.

If the authorities do not make amends I can foresee a number of airlines moving their connecting flights down to KL or Sillypore.

... They had previously expressed their concerns to the Thai government. If this happens again, I would expect these countries making an explicit statement of not traveling under any circumstances including the inability to provide consular services. It's been done previously in respect to countries like Sierra Leone, Liberia, Zimbabwe, and East Timor. Good company to be in............

On a side note - If western governments were to issue explicit statements or advices to it's citizens not to travel to Thailand, that could have serious consequences for the Tourism industry in the Kingdom. I know that at least in my country, if State Department were to issue a explicit warning about not traveling to Thailand, that would mean that my travel insurance would be void, since I am in direct violation of a serious "advice" about not traveling to a country or region deemed to be unstable or dangerous. No insurance company would cover my expanses if something were to happen to me if I have traveled, "against better judgment", to a country or region that is known to be dangerous. The airlines might still fly me there, but once I'm there I have no insurance-cover.

To me, that would mean I would have to consider very, very carefully the pros and cons about going to Thailand, if I'm not covered by an insurance.

I'm a very certain that nearly all "normal" tourists from my country would choose not to go to Thailand and instead go somewhere else. It's not like they have no choices these days... Malaysia, Vietnam, Laos, China, heck even two weeks in the Canary Islands would be sufficient for most would-be Thai-travelers if the insurance companies say a big No-No about a vacation in Thailand...

With the tourism industry being such a big part of the Thai economy, a severe cut in the number of tourists coming to Thailand would be devastating, even for the ruling class, especially nowadays with the recession/depression making it's entrance even in the Kingdom.

Edited by turbog3

Surely such law enforcement / punishment measures are an internal Thai affair. No nation on earth would tolerate being told by another how to carry out internal law enforcement.

There are two issues here, one of the security of the airport itself and the other on security inside the airport perimeter.

The former has to be addressed by the Thai police force and, if necessary, the army. Hereby lies the rub. Neither force is necessarily behoven to the government of the day. Until that issue is resolved, and that means total separation of the government and politicians in general from the internal working of the forces, Thailand will continue to be jerked around by various self interest groups. Today it is PAD, tomorrow ABC, next day TIT and so it goes on. But of course Thailand's government is predominantly ex forces personnel and their chums left behind in uniform expect a little consideration in terms of promotion etc.

The latter is another issue altogether and is, in a sense, more important. But that's off topic in this thread.

I believe that the fact that swampy is an International airport would mean that anyone could expect. nae, demand, international standards regarding security implementation.

This is not just about tourism, (which will be badly affected) but also about existing and potential business coming to Thailand, if the principal officers of a business feel that as a result of a severe lack of security in a given countries international airport, then they must assume that outside of the airport will be even more unruley, and therfore pose a potential threat to any/all of the companies employees, and in these days of a litigation society, no company in their right minds would endorse opening an office/plant in such a place.

If Thailand wish to encourage tourism and other business to this wonderful Kingdom, they really must take adequate steps to ensure there is no reccurance, and, be seen publicaly (on the world stage) to be doing so.

FF

The important issue here is that the governments of the International Community are supporting, advising, and discussing matters with the democratically elected govenment of Thailand.

Despite the efforts of the militant, armed-paramilitary, faschist, terrorist PAD organisation to bring it down and impose military coup, the democratically elected government still stands and enjoys the respect and approval of the international community.

The international community ignores the royalist, bisinessmen, urban middle class unelected alliance PAD, never any negotiation with terrorists.

Fantastic work PAD, now the eyes of the international community are well fixed on the activities of the uenelected royalists,businessmen , urban middle calss,police, and army.

No way will the PAD be allowed the opportunity to slide this country down the path to ethnic cleansing.

Becoming quite the little Marxist aren't we? Next you'll be telling us you've been selling the Big Issue on the streets of Bangkok in a red shirt, hanging out with Gi Ung and refusing to dine in style with your elite, hi-so friends. :o

Anyone know if the US Govt is allowing direct flights between BKK and LAX, yet? I had read somewhere that until they were convinced the security measures were satisfactory, they were forcing the aircraft to land somewhere enroute for inspection, like Natarita, before it could land in LAX. Flightstats.com showed a direct flight from BKK-LAX on Dec 6. I am due to go to Pattaya to celebrate the New Year, returning on Jan 3. I would sure prefer the direct flight to a 3-hour stopover.

Whilst I was on Bangkok pundit I saw a news Title from The Nation, titles something like.... international airlines may not use International Airport... i tried to click on that link but the page was broken. I was really interested to read that.

As the security is all part of the equation here.

if security is laxed, no airlines wants to put its customers or itself in jepordy and if int airlines decide not to use BKK Int airport as a transit point and go elsewhere, then even more jobs at the airport will be lost....

Hence that is why it is important for the airport to be tight with its security, even if its just for the sake of job security