Thai Ice Cream On Hotdog Bun

Aswin

I didn't want to ever try durian until mom forced some some in my mouth when I was a kid. I liked durian eversince.

As far as just the sensation on your tongue goes, it's sweet and creamy. Imagine nougat that's soft and melts in your mouth slowly.

Writing in 1856, the British naturalist Alfred Russel Wallace provides a much-quoted description of the flavour of the durian:

A rich custard highly flavoured with almonds gives the best general idea of it, but there are occasional wafts of flavour that call to mind cream-cheese, onion-sauce, sherry-wine, and other incongruous dishes. Then there is a rich glutinous smoothness in the pulp which nothing else possesses, but which adds to its delicacy.

Wallace cautions that "the smell of the ripe fruit is certainly at first disagreeable"; more recent descriptions by westerners can be more graphic. The English novelist Anthony Burgess famously said that dining on durian is like eating vanilla custard in a latrine.

I didn't want to ever try durian until mom forced some some in my mouth when I was a kid. I liked durian eversince.

As far as just the sensation on your tongue goes, it's sweet and creamy. Imagine nougat that's soft and melts in your mouth slowly.

Writing in 1856, the British naturalist Alfred Russel Wallace provides a much-quoted description of the flavour of the durian:

A rich custard highly flavoured with almonds gives the best general idea of it, but there are occasional wafts of flavour that call to mind cream-cheese, onion-sauce, sherry-wine, and other incongruous dishes. Then there is a rich glutinous smoothness in the pulp which nothing else possesses, but which adds to its delicacy.

Wallace cautions that "the smell of the ripe fruit is certainly at first disagreeable"; more recent descriptions by westerners can be more graphic. The English novelist Anthony Burgess famously said that dining on durian is like eating vanilla custard in a latrine.

In some countries you could sue your mother for doing that.

There have been many who have died from eating too much Durian.

Never tried durian cant get near enough because of the smell but have been told by some malaysian friends the taste is delicious :o

Have you tried it ? Its good.

My favourite flavor is coconut ice cream, ingredients include Millet, corn, basil seeds, red beans, black beans boiled with syrup, and laht chong, a bright green noodle flavoured and coloured with pandanus leaves.

And since lactose doesn't occur in coconut milk, large quantities of coconut-based ice cream can be consumed without the irritating side effects produced by dairy ice cream. :D

This one is mango-coconut ice cream with sweet sticky rice on a bun. yum, yum...

ice%20cream.JPG

The naysayers have probably never tried it :o The Thai equivalent of the 'ice cream sandwich' only better!

p.s. does anyone know if it is true that if you mix durian with alcohol it can kill you???
... Thats what some Thai friends told me too ... and it hasn't yet :D

... Wasn't too taken with it on first try, certainly smells wretched. Taste I thought was so-so. Strangely it's the one fruit I do now miss when back home. Luckily the cake shops in Sydney Chinatown sell a mean Durian filled bun. Stinks out the bus on the way home everytime I eat one :o

Wallace cautions that "the smell of the ripe fruit is certainly at first disagreeable"; more recent descriptions by westerners can be more graphic. The English novelist Anthony Burgess famously said that dining on durian is like eating vanilla custard in a latrine. [/i]

Those seem like fair descriptions to me. I hate the smell of the stuff. I'd describe it a bit differently. It has an extremely strong pungent odor, like something foul crawled into your nostrils and lingers there. The texture reminds me of something that's spoiled or rotted. However, in the form of dried chips or ice cream, the stench is not quite as intense. I tried it once and refuse to go near it again no matter what form it is.

People seem to really like durian or really hate it.

I think it smells lovely and makes my mouth water just thinking about it, and don't mind the ice cream buns either. All you falangs remember you are not in your home countries now and don't need to complain about other peoples food preferences

:D

You're being far too kind in describing the smell.

There's a long list of rank, putrid, horrifying smells that I can think of - and I would still prefer any of them to the slightest waft of evil durian.......

I'm never ever surprised to check into a local hotel anywhere throughout Asia, and see a sign hanging up behind the reception desk with Durian & a big red cross through it.... No wonder hotels ban it. :o

When I was in Singapore I saw no durians signs in the tube stations and I thought it was some kind of weapon LOL...

Well I suppose it could be used as a weapon!! :D:D

All you falangs remember you are not in your home countries now and don't need to complain about other peoples food preferences

Yes of course Big Guy. How dare anyone express an opinion on which food they don't like somewhere other than their home country - that would be outrageous and unacceptable.

The taste of durian reminds me of hickory nuts. Delicious! It is an acquired taste. I first started eating it when my wife would get one that was not quite ripe. The meat is hard and a little crunchy. It went on from there and now I can eat it at any stage of ripeness.

Ice cream on a hot dog bun looks a little strange but it is surprisingly good. The first couple of years here in Thailand I hated the food. Little by little I tried various things and other than insects and the stinking palah, I can eat nearly everything.