Going For A Acer Desktop?

gobs

Hi all,

Through different threads, here, many users are satisfied with their ACER laptops. Good value for money and good after-market service.

As i'm going to purchase a desktop, the advice is it the same about ACER ones?

For me, no matter the design, the "plastic feeling" and so on... The good use first!

As advised somewhere, I already had a look at:

www.acer.co.th/acerthai2/index.php?typemember=enduser&method=factory

Many interesting things... Especially the ASX3200 and the ASM3641

I would like to run with Windows XP, not Vista, and shall have a common use of this desktop as a "private office/entertainment computer". Maybe later I would like to make some electronic music with a master keyboard and plug-in my guitars, drums boxes and so on... Well, get a micro-studio at home for the fun...

But as I have not great knowledges, may I ask you what should be better between the two CPU AMT Athlon X2 et INTEL Core 2 Duo? What is the difference between the graphic cards Geforce 8400 and Geforce 9300 GE? What are they particularily dedicated to?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Gobs

Hi all,

Through different threads, here, many users are satisfied with their ACER laptops. Good value for money and good after-market service.

As i'm going to purchase a desktop, the advice is it the same about ACER ones?

For me, no matter the design, the "plastic feeling" and so on... The good use first!

As advised somewhere, I already had a look at:

www.acer.co.th/acerthai2/index.php?typemember=enduser&method=factory

Many interesting things... Especially the ASX3200 and the ASM3641

I would like to run with Windows XP, not Vista, and shall have a common use of this desktop as a "private office/entertainment computer". Maybe later I would like to make some electronic music with a master keyboard and plug-in my guitars, drums boxes and so on... Well, get a micro-studio at home for the fun...

But as I have not great knowledges, may I ask you what should be better between the two CPU AMT Athlon X2 et INTEL Core 2 Duo? What is the difference between the graphic cards Geforce 8400 and Geforce 9300 GE? What are they particularily dedicated to?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Gobs

This hurts me to say, but currently the Intel Core 2 Duo (or Quad) are the best performing processors. If you're looking to upgrade in a few years though, the AMD system will most likely offer you that path, while the Intel system won't. Reason being is that Intel is going from Socket (LGA)775 to 1366 while AMD is sticking with AM2(+) for a while yet.

Another thing you might want to consider is building your own. Granted you don't get a total system warranty with it, but from your post you sound fairly comfortable with electronics and if slightly 'slow' person such as I can build my own you can to. Just remember to save your receipts and buy items with a warranty. You'll have the satisifaction of building your own and you get EXACTLY what you want in it.

Technically the 9300 is simply a slightly revamped 8500 which was slightly better at gaming then the 8400. But that's like saying that a tak-tak is slightly faster than one of those back-yard built trucks that use a tak-tak motor.....

However, the 9300 is part of the motherboard, it just provides graphics out. I have not heard of an 8400 being the same way, but with the 9400 you can later decide to stick another nVidia card in there and both cards will work together to play video games (Hybrid SLI).

The 9300 is rated better at High Definition play back also, it offloads more from the CPU and produces better images (according to nVidia's website).

Hi,

I would recommed you go to for example Pantip Plaza, and there you can order all the parts for a great computer in any of the shops. They will assemble everything for you, and check it's working. Some of them will also install Win XP/Vista for you (from copy CD as well).

If you order the parts like that from the shop, then I calculated earlier that you save around 20%, and it's easier to upgrade later. You just go to same shop and ask to add more memory etc.

Compared below:

Acer M3201=12900 baht (same parts ordered and build in Pantip is 10580 baht)

Acer X3200=16900 baht (same parts ordered and build in Pantip is 12400 baht)

So you will save quite some money, and it's much higher svings the better the computer get. If you want to have high performance computer, then the BEST Acer computer can't compete at all against the self-designed computer build from own purchased parts. You can get so much faster CPU and graphics card for the same money.

I used several time the shop on 4th floor named "Compute & More". They can also correct any problems later, during the time you are waiting in the shop. No need to wait for several days to get the computer back again - like I think you will need to do if you repair an Acer computer.

Br

Allan

Hi,

I would recommed you go to for example Pantip Plaza, and there you can order all the parts for a great computer in any of the shops. They will assemble everything for you, and check it's working. Some of them will also install Win XP/Vista for you (from copy CD as well).

If you order the parts like that from the shop, then I calculated earlier that you save around 20%, and it's easier to upgrade later. You just go to same shop and ask to add more memory etc.

Compared below:

Acer M3201=12900 baht (same parts ordered and build in Pantip is 10580 baht)

Acer X3200=16900 baht (same parts ordered and build in Pantip is 12400 baht)

So you will save quite some money, and it's much higher svings the better the computer get. If you want to have high performance computer, then the BEST Acer computer can't compete at all against the self-designed computer build from own purchased parts. You can get so much faster CPU and graphics card for the same money.

I used several time the shop on 4th floor named "Compute & More". They can also correct any problems later, during the time you are waiting in the shop. No need to wait for several days to get the computer back again - like I think you will need to do if you repair an Acer computer.

Br

Allan

I would like to second most of the written above!

One more thing is that you get for some parts a warranty of 5 years or even lifetime while for a few other parts maybe only 1 year!

But about the Acer Service that's may wrong. If you enter the Main Service Center at Rama 3 Road, you can wait for the repairing, if any!

For the graphic card I would never go for an built-in MB card because they are a lot more slow. Use an normal card like an EVGA 9800 GT which cost app. THB 5,000 with very good results while playing of working with 3D staff or so.

Cheers.

Br

Allan

Is that also true for ACER's new top of the line, the Predator? I wonder what you could possibly make better than this machine; it seems to be best around. It comes at a price, granted (about 100'000 Baht), but it really performs.