The Backlash Has Started

APMann

Now that the airports are operating normally, I wonder if we can share reports/comments on the continuing problems the occupation caused. I saw this in the UK Times, for example, from which it is clear the FO do not think the fat lady has yet sung:

Flights are set to resume from Bangkok’s two major airports this weekend, ahead of the peak holiday season in Thailand, but current Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice tells Britons to stay away indefinitely. Although protestors have withdrawn from Bangkok’s Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports, the ongoing threat of political unrest means Britons should continue to avoid the airports unless their trip is essential, says the FCO.

Its new advice on the Foreign Office website reads: “… given the protestors’ continuing threat of disruption to the airports and transport network, we advise that you continue to avoid air travel into or through Bangkok for the foreseeable future.”

Well if people come they come and if they dont come well they dont have to go back . if you listen to the government you will go nowhere . a report in australia descibes thailand as a country on knife edge and beware dont go there but any sensible person would still go for a good holiday.

cheers.

Well, they've done the rehearsal and know now what to do, but the Headline from today's Nation doesn't promise anything good... there are stormy days ahead!

WOMAN OF INFLUENCE

Pojaman back in the country

By The Nation

Published on December 6, 2008

Arrives ahead of Pheu Thai Party|meet tomorrow to choose leader

Khunying Pojaman Damapong, the ex-wife of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, returned to Thailand last night following a months-long overseas stay.

Her Thai Airways Flight 607 from Hong Kong touched down at Suvarnabhumi Airport at around 10.30pm. She arrived with her youngest daughter Pinthongta.

Well, they've done the rehearsal and know now what to do, but the Headline from today's Nation doesn't promise anything good... there are stormy days ahead!
WOMAN OF INFLUENCE

Pojaman back in the country

By The Nation

Published on December 6, 2008

Arrives ahead of Pheu Thai Party|meet tomorrow to choose leader

Khunying Pojaman Damapong, the ex-wife of former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, returned to Thailand last night following a months-long overseas stay.

Her Thai Airways Flight 607 from Hong Kong touched down at Suvarnabhumi Airport at around 10.30pm. She arrived with her youngest daughter Pinthongta.

She'll be spreading the baht around.

Now that the airports are operating normally, I wonder if we can share reports/comments on the continuing problems the occupation caused. I saw this in the UK Times, for example, from which it is clear the FO do not think the fat lady has yet sung:

Flights are set to resume from Bangkok’s two major airports this weekend, ahead of the peak holiday season in Thailand, but current Foreign and Commonwealth Office advice tells Britons to stay away indefinitely. Although protestors have withdrawn from Bangkok’s Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports, the ongoing threat of political unrest means Britons should continue to avoid the airports unless their trip is essential, says the FCO.

Its new advice on the Foreign Office website reads: “… given the protestors’ continuing threat of disruption to the airports and transport network, we advise that you continue to avoid air travel into or through Bangkok for the foreseeable future.”

The respective governments are making a fair call and trying to look out for their citizens, the PAD has brought this on Thailand and the Thai Govt/Police have just let in get out of hand instead of dealing with it as they should have, instead of sitting on ther butts doing nothing.

I know it creates a lot of jobs, but I somehow can't grieve at the decline in the tourism industry, if it continues. I wouldn't think my own country diminished if tourists didn't come or came in fewer numbers. After all, as someone said, tourism's the industry you have when you don't have much industry.

In a way, tourism can allow itself to be a form of prostitution: We'll present a false image of ourselves and give you a part of ourselves in return for money.

As one who likes to visit other places and sometimes go on tours when there, I may be hypocritical, or at least confused, but they are usually places where self-managed tourism is not practicable - the place doesn't have the infrastructure to enable it. It's a matter of balance. I don't feel that I'm adding to a distorted view of the place when I visit London or Rome, and I don't believe I'm being ripped off (I can do the things I want to do by using the Tube or the Metro). Thailand seems to be too dependent on tourism.

The shock administered to the country by the PAD's actions may be a good thing in the long run, not only because it has demonstrated that widespread venality and nepotism in government will be less tolerated, but that Thailand needs to be less dependent on the easy money that comes from smiling at tourists while you rip them off.

I know it creates a lot of jobs, but I somehow can't grieve at the decline in the tourism industry, if it continues. I wouldn't think my own country diminished if tourists didn't come or came in fewer numbers. After all, as someone said, tourism's the industry you have when you don't have much industry.

In a way, tourism can allow itself to be a form of prostitution: We'll present a false image of ourselves and give you a part of ourselves in return for money.

As one who likes to visit other places and sometimes go on tours when there, I may be hypocritical, or at least confused, but they are usually places where self-managed tourism is not practicable - the place doesn't have the infrastructure to enable it. It's a matter of balance. I don't feel that I'm adding to a distorted view of the place when I visit London or Rome, and I don't believe I'm being ripped off (I can do the things I want to do by using the Tube or the Metro). Thailand seems to be too dependent on tourism.

The shock administered to the country by the PAD's actions may be a good thing in the long run, not only because it has demonstrated that widespread venality and nepotism in government will be less tolerated, but that Thailand needs to be less dependent on the easy money that comes from smiling at tourists while you rip them off.

peeple r not stupid!

if thailand actually ripped peeple off peeple would stay away.

i bet the amount of tourist dollar that is actually taken as part of a scam is so small that most consider it a nuisance.

thailand offer great value !

AFAIK, if your government warns against travel to a particular country, then your travel insurance will deny any claim that may result out of you ignoring that warning.

So these travel warnings by various governments are extremely important and will definitely affect the number of returning tourists.

My Phuket hotel, (which rarely has a cancellation), is now receiving peak season cancellations every day. What do you think the low season is going to be like? :o

Simon

THis is rather shortsighted.

My US home is in San Diego, which has a decent industrial base, but tourism is a big part of the economy and very much welcome. Despite the changes in visa laws, the US as a whole still goes out an aggressively pursues foreign tourists. For that matter, so does Germany. Octoberfest is one huge international party.

Tourism is great for economies. It creates jobs and increases consumer spending, but all with money coming from other places. Taxes are paid by people who will not reap many benefits from those who pay them (hotel taxes in Las Vegas which go to pay for schools will not benefit the Chinese or British tourist who paid those taxes.)

I for one are happy that Pattaya isnt busy but i do appreciate that owners are in trouble.Maybe now the better operators of restaraunts and bars will think more how to attract customers and to give instructions that staff MUST look after them and not rip them off.now that would be unique wouldnt it.

Hallejulah ! The Truth Shall Set Thee Free

do people actually listen to their government's travel advisories? if they did then no one would ever go anywhere...
Well im sure the sexpats dont, they would walk through a minefield to get to Thailand i feel :o

I wonder what is the actual percentage of " Sex tourist" , vs " familiy " is ? I think this activity is a large percentage of the industry and those interested in it won't be deterred by politics.

never,i didnt know that lol.Some of these pc brigad on here who call all foreigners sexpats dont realise that there are more brothels away from the resorts than you can imagine.Some of these part time expats always say i send money to lady and they go back up country,BEWARE thats not good lol.

the travel warning means that as a tourist your insurance might be voided, you won't have a consular support in case of troubles and the foreign government won't bother to rescue you if you are stranded indefinitely some 5k miles from your home

do people actually listen to their government's travel advisories? if they did then no one would ever go anywhere...
Well im sure the sexpats dont, they would walk through a minefield to get to Thailand i feel :o

I wonder what is the actual percentage of " Sex tourist" , vs " familiy " is ? I think this activity is a large percentage of the industry and those interested in it won't be deterred by politics.

By TAT statistics, in 2007 there were 2.4 million male visitors from Europe and 1.3 million female. Allowing that 600,000 were kids or young adults, and guessing they split evenly by gender, you can say it makes 2.1 million adult male visitors and 1.0 million female adult visitors.

Taking a complete leap and saying next that all non-holiday visitors from Europe (business, convention, diplomatic and other) were male, subtract out 450,000 from the male column, and round it off to 1.6 million European males vs. 1.0 million females.

Make another assumption that a majority of the European females were traveling with a male companion... for sake of argument 80% strikes me as being about right. Take out 800,000 females and males as "couples", and it leaves 800,000 men and 200,000 women from Europe doing their own thing.

Presume that all the remaining women and a corresponding number of men are "innocent" and just looking at the pretty temples... You've got a remainder of 600,000 men presumed guilty or roughly 25% of the total of 2.6 million adult holidayers or 20% of the adult visitors overall.

Or compare that 600,000 to the hypothetical 450,000 male business, etc. travelers. It means 4:3 odds that guy with the EU or UK passport traveling alone and standing next to you in the Immigration line is a sex tourist.

Same pattern holds true for the other regions TAT defines: "The Americas" and "Oceania".

If the 600,000 stay the average of 9 days, it's 5.4 million man-days and hotel nights. Applying the same math to Europe, the Americas and Oceania combined, you get something closer to 850,000 guilty male visitors and 7.6 million man-days and hotel nights.

If they're all dropping something close to the average of 4000 baht per day on hotel, meals, beverages and entertainment... it works out to around 30 billion baht a year that sex tourists dump into the Thai economy. An impressive number to be sure, but less than 1% of the Thai GDP and no reasonable massaging of the numbers could ever make it exceed 2%.

i agree that sex tourist contribution to thai gdp is very small.

but dood you got to give them more credit than just spending 4k baht a day all inclusive.

the popular hotels that they stay at start at 60-70$ a day. sex tourist have money and are willing to spend it. why do you think girls go after them.

i agree w mr magoo. i start to worry when there is a closure of the pleasure palaces for 3 or 4 days........lol. i dont use suwapapoom everyday !

Here's another consequence, although I can't say the tiger zoo is my favourite place.....Dramatic drop in numbers if they are saying they usually get 2,500-3,000 tourists a month and are now down to 50-100 a month.

ECONOMIC CRASH CAUSES SRIRACHA TIGER ZOO TO REDUCE STAFF SALARIES BY 20% </H3>The world economic crisis and Thailand‘s political situation have caused the almost complete loss of tourists for Sriracha Tiger Zoo and similar venues. Sriracha Tiger Zoo claimed staff salaries and animal food cost them 15 million baht per month and to survive they will be forced to reduce staff salaries by 20%, instead of laying them off. Hopefully, the situation will improve within three months. Nongnuch tropical village might well have to do the same.

Mr. Suphadol Chom-mongkol, Sriracha Tiger Zoo Manager, confirmed that they are still opening as normal, even though the tourists have disappeared almost completely due to the world economic crisis.

During the past month of November, the political problems was largely responsible for the domestic tourists not coming. Normally, there are at least 2,500 – 3,000 tourists who visit the Sriracha Tiger Zoo per month. But for the moment there are only 50 – 100, of which 35% were Thai tourist and 65%. foreign.

The management of Sriracha Tiger Zoo have decided the only way to survive is by by reducing individual staff salaries by 20%, instead of laying them off until the situation gets back to normal.

Apart from Sriracha Tiger Zoo, Pattaya Nongnuch Tropical Village is also facing similar problems and is likely to reduce staff salaries instead of laying off staff as well..

Edited by APMann

If they're all dropping something close to the average of 4000 baht per day on hotel, meals, beverages and entertainment... it works out to around 30 billion baht a year that sex tourists dump into the Thai economy. An impressive number to be sure, but less than 1% of the Thai GDP and no reasonable massaging of the numbers could ever make it exceed 2%.

Why don't you throw in all the sex hawks from Singapore and Malaysia for a real big boost. Maybe after that, add in all of the Thai customers of the sex biz, and really hit the jackpot! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.