Paragon Ocean World Ripoff

kojack99

http://www.siamoceanworld.co.th/visitor_in...ation/price.htm

Thought go and visit there then log on to their web site looking for price and found this scam.

Different price in Thai and in English.

Farang Adult - 850 abht, Thai adult 350 baht.

Farang kid - 650 baht, Thai kid 250 baht.

And more than that they're trying to hide it by print the Thai price in Thai words and not in numbers.

Didn't realize that a respected place like paragon will act like a stall in the market... but I guess they're all the same...

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought go and visit there then log on to their web site looking for price and found this scam.

And more than that they're trying to hide it by print the Thai price in Thai words and not in numbers.

Didn't realize that a respected place like paragon will act like a stall in the market... but I guess they're all the same...

And this in a shopping center catering for the super wealthy in Thailand!

And this in a shopping center catering for the super wealthy in Thailand!

I am sure when I went there 18 months ago they charged me the same as my Thai wife, otherwise I would not have gone in, especially with a pricing difference like that.

Less tourists? Raise the prices! Duh.

I am sure when I went there 18 months ago they charged me the same as my Thai wife, otherwise I would not have gone in, especially with a pricing difference like that.

Less tourists? Raise the prices! Duh.

There is chapter and verse on this in a thread that got moved from here to the Bangkok section as week or two ago. I think the two-tier pricing came in last year, but it is all there in the thread. In my opinion this kind of thing causes a lot of bad feeling and may not generate much extra profit because of lost customers - made me give it a miss in July anyway.

Does it say "Farang" or "Tourist" or "Non-Thai"? - because there is a difference.

I disagree with this "dual-pricing" anyway and usually avoid such places, especially when they write the Thai price using Thai characters - it is so obvious that they are trying to hide the price difference to the non-Thais.

Does it say "Farang" or "Tourist" or "Non-Thai"? - because there is a difference.

I disagree with this "dual-pricing" anyway and usually avoid such places, especially when they write the Thai price using Thai characters - it is so obvious that they are trying to hide the price difference to the non-Thais.

The Thai bit just says 'poo yai' (adult) and 'dek' (child) and specifies 80-120 cm (height) for the latter. In English it says adult and child with the same height range. It seems doubly sneaky not to even say Thai and non-Thai adult/child, but just to use language and English/Thai numerals to conceal the different pricing.

Edited by citizen33

The Thai bit just says 'poo yai' (adult) and 'dek' (child) and specifies 80-120 cm (height) for the latter. In English is is just adult and child with same height definition. It seems doubly sneaky not to even say Thai and non-Thai adult/child, but just to use language and English/Thai numerals to conceal the different pricing.

Dual pricing is disgraceful, racist and insulting considering foreigners put so much into the Thai economy. Last year I noticed that some National Parks reduced their prices to a more reasonable figure so I visited 2 of them. Ticket issuers USED TO acknowledge years' visas, Thai driving licences etc.; but not now. The only recourse we have is to veto those places with dual pricing rates.

Dual pricing is disgraceful, racist and insulting considering foreigners put so much into the Thai economy. Last year I noticed that some National Parks reduced their prices to a more reasonable figure so I visited 2 of them. Ticket issuers USED TO acknowledge years' visas, Thai driving licences etc.; but not now. The only recourse we have is to veto those places with dual pricing rates.

There are some reasons for dual price system.

For example when I was in University it was for free for nationals of my country but foreigner had to pay which makes sense.

A nationalpark in which the money is used to preserve it (does such a thing exist somewhere on this planet???) an equal fare but cause that locals can't go in at all anymore. You would get a nationalpark almost just for tourists....not fair.

But within limits. A places without entry fee which are nicely taken care of we always donate money, but many don't I think.

But SiamOceanWorld is in a place for super rich Thais so all the above does not apply. It is less racist than capitalism in its worst form, just trying to get the most money out of the customer. If they figure out that Thai kids want to see it most than they have to pay most.

You are charged the normal price. The Thais are given a well deserved discount.

Any farang making 150 baht a day?

You think the security guard at Paragon would actually let in a Thai person who looked like they are making 150 baht a day?

Wouldn't be surprised if they got headed off at the door.

I am sorry pumpuiman, I cannot agree. Its a facility for all to see and enjoy and I do not see why there should be a two-tiered pricing strategy based on nationality. I for one will always boycott such dual standards, anywhere in the world. Afterall we are all members of the same human race, aren't we?

As for your second question, I will say that I do not make even 150 Baht per day as I am retired and unemployed. Although what the relevance of that is I am not quite sure. I am pretty sure there are many Thais earning far more than 150 Baht per day, especially if they are working in the capital and earning big money as comapny directors and the like. In my home country, the UK, I may even qualify for a free bus pass and free entrance into many of the UK's National attractions. Yet, out here I am expected to pay more than someone else - no way, not ever!

pretty common for theme parks in the usa - show your state id and pay half price!

West Austria, for skiing, the same.

Official price is on the wall, on the counter if you speak German German or East Austrian German you pay full, if you speak that very strange East Austrian German you pay 1/3.

When I visit my friend there, I always have to shut up, as I speak the wrong dialect :o:D

Prices are in thai numerals, which is ok. Why to bother so much about 500 baht ($15), whereas many spend more than 10x of this amount in one night.

They have the right to charge different prices from different people. Tourists have inelastic demand and therefore they can pay more, locals have elastic demand, so they pay less. Simple as it is.

i have been telling the Aus tourist board for ages to adopt this thai policy.

entry to attractions for tourists should be priced at 4.5 times the average daily wage of the Aus worker.

so the equivalent in Aus would be an entry fee of $616 Aus dollars.

now everyone happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pretty common for theme parks in the usa - show your state id and pay half price!

Come on. We go through this at least once a month on this board, and you are still spreading lies. It is not the same thing.

US customs are based on residency, not citizenship. I'm a resident. I pay more taxes than most Thais. In the US, a Thai living somewhere and paying taxes gets the local price. I don't, despite being local, and that is what makes it discriminatory.

Basing claims on citizenship is not the same as residency. Please don't continue to mislead people.

Having said that, Siam Ocean World is a private enterprise and is allowed to do whatever they want. I have never visited them because of their policies. I do not patronize any establishment that engages in dual pricing. To date, the loss of my business has not changed their actions, but I will continue my boycott anyway.

However, when the government does this, such as at the national parks, that is a different matter altogether, and disgraceful. I suggest to the OP if you want to complain about something, complain about that. It is a much more serious offense.

Never been there, but I seriously doubt if you showed them valid ID showing you were a local resident you would not get the resident's price, even if your accent was from Berlin. That is not what happens here. That is why it is wrong.

Also keep in mind this is an Australian company, engaging in a practice that would not be legal in their home country. Also since it doesn't mention race, nationality, or residency anywhere in the prices, since I can read Thai, I should be able to pay the Thai language price rather than the English language price. Interesting to note that the yearly membership packages are the same price for everyone - and that they write the price using Arabic numerals rather than Thai. It shows that in the one entrance only price they are deliberately engaging in deception and attempting to keep non Thai readers from realizing they are paying more.

For a place like this with dual pricing, I will often go just one time with the family - and never go back. We see the sights, take some pictures, and then have no need to ever go there again.

In the case of Siam Ocean World, we were careful to avoid buying anything inside, especially the multiple places set up to sell food and drinks. They make the inside a little warm, possibly to encourage buying drinks. (I told my wife that I felt just like those poor penguins inside the tank... we both looked equally uncomfortable!) No one else was buying anything at these places either.

The main point I have for such dual pricing establishments is that they forgo my repeat business. Perhaps they think most non-Thai people come to Thailand as a tourist just one time?

kenk3z

Here is a dream I keep having. People are queued to see the Grand Canyon. American pay $20 per head. A group of Thai's walk up. "Where are youi from?" the smiling attendant asks them "Thailand" they reply. Cool - that will be $400 per head.

How's that ajarn mark ? You like that idea too?

If this kind of thing really riles you up, there is something that you can do about it.

If everyone here took the time to write a letter to Siam Ocean World's international sponsors I am sure that there would be some sort of change. Besides it would be incredibly interesting to see what they respond back with.

The sponsors are as follows:

Chevrolet

Bang & Olufsen

Nestle

Pepsi

Tag Heuer

Fuji

Mares

Sanyo

and

True - but I don't think they would care much - they might actually adopt the policy...

Give it a try guys - it really might work if there was enough of a response from all the posters here.

Aloha

I do not agree with the two price way they have here. As I am married with a daughter and live here I have had some places let me in Thai price, some places tell my wife that the farang has to pay moor as I am rich (yer I wish) t hen I get up thight and ask how much for our daughter is she Thai price or farang? I never pay the rip off price I would rather drive away. If we all did that the double pricing would stop.

I was thinking about taking my Thai wife and son for a visit tommorrow, but then came across this thread, I mentioned to the missus about the dual pricing and she replied, oh thats good, we save 500 THB on my ticket, I dont like all this dual pricing but my wifes answer did make me laught, did you make a trip in the end, if yes was it worth the entrance fee?

When Siam Ocean World opened everybody paid the same lower price. Subsequently a price rise was introduced for westerners. The blog in the link confirms my own memory of what happened.

http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php/2008/0...s-prices?blog=5

If you have no first hand familiarity with events, why give incorrect information? When turkeys are voting for an early Christmas something funny is going on!

Come on. We go through this at least once a month on this board, and you are still spreading lies. It is not the same thing.

US customs are based on residency, not citizenship. I'm a resident. I pay more taxes than most Thais. In the US, a Thai living somewhere and paying taxes gets the local price. I don't, despite being local, and that is what makes it discriminatory.

Basing claims on citizenship is not the same as residency. Please don't continue to mislead people.

Having said that, Siam Ocean World is a private enterprise and is allowed to do whatever they want. I have never visited them because of their policies. I do not patronize any establishment that engages in dual pricing. To date, the loss of my business has not changed their actions, but I will continue my boycott anyway.

However, when the government does this, such as at the national parks, that is a different matter altogether, and disgraceful. I suggest to the OP if you want to complain about something, complain about that. It is a much more serious offense.

Never been there, but I seriously doubt if you showed them valid ID showing you were a local resident you would not get the resident's price, even if your accent was from Berlin. That is not what happens here. That is why it is wrong.

as this has been explained in the other thread by an email from the ceo or similarly high up in the company, showing any form of thai identification gets you the resident price.

in my personal experience i was once asked to show some form of local id and all i had with me was an insurance card from a thai private insurance provider. i paid the local price.

i have been back since and will continue to because despite my misgivings over the initial presentation of some of the exhibits (notably a tragic seal which is no longer there and the penguins) it is an excellent experience for my two year old daughter who loves fish.

this has also been discussed at length on this board and it seems those most offended have merely made assumptions and enjoyed thier own indignation without attempting to confirm or deny the truth of the ops contentions.

to reiterate: Siam ocean world will give you a resisdent rate if you show them something that establishes you as a resident.

Sure...speaking in general terms, a business can charge whatever they want

Indeed they can and speaking in general terms, the public can call them whatever they want. I choose to call them Grade A Sleazeballs, especially with the trick of using Thai numbers. Now I excuse a poor tuk tuk driver for trying to squeeze a few extra baht out of farangs, but a supposedly respectable big company like the people running the aquarium, there is a special place in hel_l ...

Edited by Jingthing