Villa Market Coming To Samui ?

I noticed today opposite Buddy in Lamai , a shop in the new arcade called Coco Villa , which looked as if it may be opening as a branch of the Villa Market Bangkok ?

I doubt that it will be a Villa Market, though would be nice to have one on Samui.

I noticed today opposite Buddy in Lamai , a shop in the new arcade called Coco Villa , which looked as if it may be opening as a branch of the Villa Market Bangkok ?

I would love to have them here too...but can not believe they would open here, now AND at that incredibly stupid new buddy mall...that will be a ghost town a year...if not sooner....idiots.

I agree Top's is expensive and poorly-managed, but there are things you can get there that you can't get anywhere else on the island, so I go there about once per week, and there is never more than a couple of people in there- I don't think Villa would fare any better, as the local Thais for the most part wouldn't shop there (Villa ain't cheap either), and the foreign community (most likely) wouldn't be enough to support it.

It's too bad- Villa Market is great (for Thailand, anyway :o )- I'd love to see one on the island.

I agree Top's is expensive and poorly-managed, but there are things you can get there that you can't get anywhere else on the island, so I go there about once per week, and there is never more than a couple of people in there- I don't think Villa would fare any better, as the local Thais for the most part wouldn't shop there (Villa ain't cheap either), and the foreign community (most likely) wouldn't be enough to support it.

It's too bad- Villa Market is great (for Thailand, anyway :o )- I'd love to see one on the island.

Forget about Tops,but Tesco,Macro,Big C,Samphet, not enough foreign community?

Tesco is always packed- Big C, however, seems to be dying (shops are dropping out of the complex at an alarming rate- the Thai restaurant, Coffee World, Zen, etc.)- I haven't been to Makro in a while but their bulk pricing will always appeal to hotels- none of those places are aimed at the foreign community, though (not specifically, anyway).

Top's and Villa are niche supermarkets that appeal to the moneyed Thai and the foreigner who misses a taste of home- there really isn't a fair comparison to the other markets on the island.

Tesco is always packed- Big C, however, seems to be dying (shops are dropping out of the complex at an alarming rate- the Thai restaurant, Coffee World, Zen, etc.)- I haven't been to Makro in a while but their bulk pricing will always appeal to hotels- none of those places are aimed at the foreign community, though (not specifically, anyway).

Top's and Villa are niche supermarkets that appeal to the moneyed Thai and the foreigner who misses a taste of home- there really isn't a fair comparison to the other markets on the island.

OTS,

Macro is not a sole wholesaler,many people shop there for variety,same as Samphet, the original shop that supplied all foreign goods on the island.Then you have F&B & God knows what that supply hotels.A good specialty shop that keeps up with the times should do well here. Tops lost the plot, was great when it first opened,but now looks like a giant Mom & Dad store,gone all the specialty items,all their products are now available at most retail outlets.Another player will not hurt anyone,might even keep them all on their toes.

Edited by Rooo

If they come ! A decent wine shop , amongst their other products would be very welcome - Because of their location in Lamai and the lack of another good supermarket locally I think they would do a lot better than Tops , who often have some good products greatly reduced as they become close to their sell by date - ( At least Tops seem to take note of sell by dates unlike Tesco )

i saw this as well, CoCo Mart by Villa Market....

I checked out Villa Market website and nothing mentioned of a new store.....

But it might be, as they have taken 3 units for shop??? ....

I pity the poor tourist, he/she's going to to be driven crazy by the touts, if he/she ever comes now!!

Forget about Tops,but Tesco,Macro,Big C,Samphet, not enough foreign community?

C'mon Roo where else can I get Kippers and thick cut marmalade?( Although I still crave Macvities dark choc biscuits). But I agree that Tops is not as good as when it first started. I think the rot set in when they started selling Vegemite engine lubricant instead of Marmite food for the Gods and Brits. :D

• 3 weeks later...

ok, Villa market is here!!

i went in there today, only just opened and the shelfs and freezer a bit empty but they had some exelent stock!!

Lion Bars, Walkers Crisps, Turkey Frozen dinner and HEinz Baked Benz ++++

only Ferang products in store........

i went in there today, only just opened and the shelfs and freezer a bit empty but they had some exelent stock!!

Lion bars....now I havn't had one of those in years.

Think I'll drive out have a looksy

If they come ! A decent wine shop , amongst their other products would be very welcome -

There is a wine bar right next to this place. It looks real wine bar snooty too; probably have Cuban cigars there as well...

What Western food products are at Tops that one must purchase? I have never thought to go in there. I thought it was just another food shop.

If they will have all (or at least most) of the items they offer in BKK, then it will be worthwhile to drive there even from Bangrak.

good question, since I only ever go to Immigration, Tesco and Makro :o

But, if the Villa supermarket has some really delicious and hard to find foods, it sounds like it would be worth a trip over from Phangan.

They're getting new stuff down from Bangkok all of the time. Things I bought - frozen bagels, salt and vinegar Walkers crisps, Big box of cornflakes (they have cheerios, organic cereals as well as the usual frosties and all of those), also they have rice milk which is difficult to get anywhere else. Simple Green cleaning fluid which is biodegradable, lots of stuff that they have in Tops already though... Bit pricey too :o

What Western food products are at Tops that one must purchase?

ready made tsaziki, taramosalata, babaganosh, (various greek dips) Koestritzer (German black beer) an real lemons! (some japanese stuff 'n stuff) it looks as if changed it's manager/buyer - it's now definitely going down the drain... shame, I thought so when the fresh cut counter was closed down.

They're getting new stuff down from Bangkok all of the time. Things I bought - frozen bagels, salt and vinegar Walkers crisps, Big box of cornflakes (they have cheerios, organic cereals as well as the usual frosties and all of those), also they have rice milk which is difficult to get anywhere else. Simple Green cleaning fluid which is biodegradable, lots of stuff that they have in Tops already though... Bit pricey too :D

Bagels!!! :o

Ok, now I will definitely make the trip. I'll give you a ring when I do manage to come, naomisri, we should meet up again :D