How Long Before Local Offices Know About New Rules?

A mate of mine has just been to the local immigration office(Kanchanaburi) to ask a question about the new rules. He was informed that they knew nothing about any new rules as they hadn't received anything from Bangkok.

Would it be appropiate to hand them a copy of the new rules (Police Order 777) for them to look at? I would hardly think so as it could cause a loss of face situation but my mate needs to know if 400,000 in the bank for a years extention based on marriage will now be accepted for new applicants or if he needs to do a visa run.

I'm just back from Phuket Immigration office. I applied for my annual one year extension on basis of being married to a Thai with a JOINT income of more than 40,000 baht/month. We also presented our JOINT bank account with money to cover our monthy expenses (less than 400,000 baht). I expected some problems as the new rules demand 40,000 baht/month by husband or 400,000 baht in husband's bank account. The application went well and I thought we were all clear.... BUT countersigning office captain was not happy that my income was only 30,000 baht/month and bank account was JOINT. Luckily I had a little bit of money in my own personal bank account and somehow the captain reconciled my month income and money in bank, which met his criteria. No tea money paid .... :o I walked away relieved, happy, and with no complaints about service.

Edited by LivinginKata

I'm just back from Phuket Immigration office. I applied for my annual one year extension on basis of being married to a Thai with a JOINT income of more than 40,000 baht/month. We also presented our JOINT bank account with money to cover our monthy expenses (less than 400,000 baht). I expected some problems as the new rules demand 40,000 baht/month by husband or 400,000 baht in husband's bank account. The application went well and I thought we were all clear.... BUT countersigning office captain was not happy that my income was only 30,000 baht/month and bank account was JOINT. Luckily I had a little bit of money in my own personal bank account and somehow the captain reconciled my month income and money in bank, which met his criteria. No tea money paid .... :o I walked away relieved, happy, and with no complaints about service.

The new rules also say that Immigration Officers have some discretion regarding returning applicants.

The new rules also say that Immigration Officers have some discretion regarding returning applicants.

The joint bank account is a concern of mine, I have always had one for retirement extension purposes and so far not been questioned at Suan Plu. Despite the possible hassle and likely unwillingness of the immigration officers the Marriage extension route does appeal. Purely for the 400k Baht issue.

The joint bank account is a concern of mine, I have always had one for retirement extension purposes and so far not been questioned at Suan Plu. Despite the possible hassle and likely unwillingness of the immigration officers the Marriage extension route does appeal. Purely for the 400k Baht issue.

For sure I will have 400,000 baht in my personal bank account next year, assuming they don't change the rules yet again. Still keep 40,000 baht/month income (can easily up my salary from 30K to 40K) with work permit as back-up.

Edited by LivinginKata

It's just that I'm amazed that a local office doesn't know of the new Police order 777. I would have thought that when new regulations are issued by the powers that be that one of the first requirements would be to get them sent out to all the regional offices.

I have downloaded a copy of this order from the immigration's website and am getting my wife to highlight the appropiate section and give this to my mate. If he wishes to hand this in to the local immigration office, I'll leave up to him. He could perhaps "suggest" to them that they check it out with head office.

I was in Immigration office in Pattaya today and overheard the Falang immigration officer saying that it was only 15 days extension on a border run

Nearly correct. Entering Thailand at a border crossing from a neighbouring country without a visa you will only get a 15 day entry stamp.