Your Little Corner Of Heaven

GuestHouse

Maigo mentioned in another thread that mentioning his home area in Thailand might bring hords of Farangs, Pizza shops etc (or something to that effect)

For those not in the Farang Ghettos, who have found a quiet 'relatively Farang Free' corner of heaven on earth - Do you keep that to yourself for fear of a Farang invastion or are you happy to share your find?

(Of course this might be a relatively Farang free corner in an otherwise Farang Ghetto).

Edited by GuestHouse

Maigo mentioned in another thread that mentioning his home area in Thailand might bring hords of Farangs, Pizza shops etc (or something to that effect)

For those not in the Farang Ghettos, who have found a quiet 'relatively Farang Free' corner of heaven on earth - Do you keep that to yourself for fear of a Farang invastion or are you happy to share your find?

(Of course this might be a relatively Farang free corner in an otherwise Farang Ghetto).

I made a mistake boasting about this lovely Beach, now it is called PATTAYA :o

post-11182-1228996301_thumb.jpg

i have been to several areas of thailand which were pretty much farang-free except for me, and i was only there because i had visited with a thai friend. while people were friendly enough to me, i could never live in a place so estranged from my own culture. after awhile the novelty of thai culture wears off and you miss having conversations with people who understand your references and share your values etc. besides, i like a good cup of real coffee, occasional western food, and the art and culture from farangland. and no farang, no matter how long they live here, will ever be wholly accepted into thai culture. so why bother trying? i prefer a good mix of both cultures myself.

I made a mistake boasting about this lovely Beach, now it is called PATTAYA :o

Whoa! Is that bugger driving down Walking Street?

I agree with GirlX. I have tried living in almost exclusively Thai areas but, in the end I started to miss my own culture regardless of being able to speak fluent Thai and adapting myself to local culture. So GH - I wouldn't keep it to myself if I found one :o

i have been to several areas of thailand which were pretty much farang-free except for me, and i was only there because i had visited with a thai friend. while people were friendly enough to me, i could never live in a place so estranged from my own culture. after awhile the novelty of thai culture wears off and you miss having conversations with people who understand your references and share your values etc. besides, i like a good cup of real coffee, occasional western food, and the art and culture from farangland. and no farang, no matter how long they live here, will ever be wholly accepted into thai culture. so why bother trying? i prefer a good mix of both cultures myself.

Well said

Four years ago we bought a very nice place. It doesn't matter if the place gets popular or not. I hope we will be able to enjoy the place until it's our time to go but if we see Carrefour coming next to our home, we will sell for a handsome ( :o ) profit and then move to an other place.

This is agood question, tonight night I was out for dinner with the wife and some Thai friends, a place we go to quiet alot and I saw 2 farang with their partners, in over 1 1/2 years of going to this place I have seen perhaps 10 farang and spoken to 2 or 3 of them, the rest have not spoken to me either.

I would not keep it quiet, but then again I would not advertise it.

I only live in Thailand part time( I work offshore, so it is about 5 months here, 6 months at work and 1 month in the UK)

I live in Bangkok, well Thonburi, almost Bangkok.

In the area there are shopping malls, pizza places and everything you would want, but not to much farang.

One of the only problems I had when I first came here was that I could not speak to many people, now I can speak Thai so that problem is no longer an issue.

As you are asking, I would be happy to keep this area as it is.

FD :o

Share=spoil.

It's inevitable.

Well I'm out in the sticks, but I am in contact with some other expats in town. Meet up with them for a beer Friday/Saturday. I certainly wouldn't want the place westernised, nor for that matter would I want a Thai Karaoke bar next door.

Share=spoil.

It's inevitable.

Not always but honnestly farangs are not the worst offenders. We were spending a very nice time in this small resort near Rayong when one night this party of cops came with a group of girls. They created a total chaos until 4:00 am. The staff were very smart, they turned off the generator so no more karaoke until one of the cop realized their car sound system was working just as good. At 4:00 am they decided to go somewhere else, the next morning so do we!

Agreed, girlx. My gf has a lovely western style house up north in a village, but it's 30k from the nearest town. I can hack it for a few days, but then have to get out. :o

I live in an area in Bang Sare that is a rare find . We are the only couple within a kilo's distance.

20 minutes to Pattaya but nice & countryish out here. I don't mind people sharing the area where I live & highly doubt this will ever become a farang village or a Thai village. This is now 10 years from now could have more inhabitants where we are. TIT things can change quickly here in Thailand!

Bang Sare rocks!

A little over a year ago my wife and I bought a condo on the beach, at the same time an american couple also bought one. At that time we were the only farangs in a 38 unit condo. Now a year later there are a total of 12 units owned by farangs. People from France, Germany, Ecuador, Switzerland, Singapore and US.

It is a brillant place to live, ourself and the other american couple are the only ones to live here full time. The rest come on holidays and the occasional weekend. So most of the time it is very quiet and pleasant living and the beach is fantastic.

It is just starting to be discovered but several new resorts have gone in so there are more farangs on the beach all the time. We are a bit south of Cha Am and north of Hua Hin. I like it just the way it is but like it or not it will grow and more farangs will move in.

Everything in moderation and as always some good points raised by many members. For myself, and somewhat selfishly, no I do not want to share my quiet little corner of heaven. Some Pattaya has-beens/failures have started to drift in bringing their thug like attitudes with them. Nearly 7 years here but may be time to start looking for somewhere new; but regretably I certainly will not find anywhere nicer.

What a sorry, sad existence it would be without the company of other human beings.

That statement is based on the assumption that the Thais living in and around the subject 'Little Corner of Heaven' are not human.

The basis of the question is not, can you live without human beings, rather are you inclined to keep your Farangless Little Corner of Heaven a secret and thereby not sharing it with other Farangs (some of whom may not be human, but that is another thread).

What a sorry, sad existence it would be without the company of other human beings.

That statement is based on the assumption that the Thais living in and around the subject 'Little Corner of Heaven' are not human.

The basis of the question is not, can you live without human beings, rather are you inclined to keep your Farangless Little Corner of Heaven a secret and thereby not sharing it with other Farangs (some of whom may not be human, but that is another thread).

The truth is that most, if not all, of us would like to discover our own little corner of paradise and have it preserved, frozen in time, exactly the way we first found it. Hence a lot of the comments on ThaiVisa about undesirables coming in and destroying the ambiance of "our" own little Utopia.

I'd like to think I am not of that way of thinking but I too often grieve the loss of "the good old days". :o

Reality is that progress is something we cannot deny others purely for our own self gratification. The local people have a right to move on and, if the opportunity presents itself, make a few bob selling to the outsiders, aka foreigners. We only own/rent our immediate plot of paradise, the rest is up for grabs.

Well I think that once one found his little corner of paradise, big changes would not be welcome.

What your idea of paradise is depends for a great deal on your surroundings when you were growing up.

As a matter of fact, I have noticed that the older I get the less I welcome change, and don't mind really that life is passing me by, not the way it is heading anyway.

Far to much violence, cruelty and utter inhumanity in nowadays world and not nearly enough friendliness, gratitude, correctness and good manners amongst the young people.

But hey, that's only me.

cheers

onzestan