Asthma Inhalers

Eff1n2ret

I use Ventolin (gen. Salbutamol) and Beclometasone (gen. Beclometasone Dipropionate) inhalers. Prior to settling in Thailand late next year I would like to assure myself that these (or equivalent) are obtainable there. I think Salbutamol inhalers are fairly well-known, but on a brief enquiry in a (small) Boots in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago, the pharmacist said he no longer stocked them and he hadn't a clue about the other steroid inhaler.

Does someone know of pharmacies in the Pattaya/Rayong area which have these things?

You can get Ventolin everywhere. For steroid inhalers, yes you can definitely find an equivalent but perhaps not the same brand name/manufacturer. Write down the chemical information and dose and visit Fascino pharmacy on North Pattaya Road (across from the Big C) and the knowledgeable pharmacists there can probably help you. If that doesn't work, see a doctor who can help you find an appropriate replacement steroid inhaler for your stay in Thailand. It is possible you won't find the exact chemical or delivery system here, but you really should be able to find a similarly acting alternative. Anyone just visiting should bring in a supply of their current brand.

Edited by Jingthing

You can get Ventolin everywhere. For steroid inhalers, yes you can definitely find an equivalent but perhaps not the same brand name/manufacturer. Write down the chemical information and dose and visit Fascino pharmacy on North Pattaya Road (across from the Big C) and the knowledgeable pharmacists there can probably help you. If that doesn't work, see a doctor who can help you find an appropriate replacement steroid inhaler for your stay in Thailand. It is possible you won't find the exact chemical or delivery system here, but you really should be able to find a similarly acting alternative. Anyone just visiting should bring in a supply of their current brand.

Hi

Jingo is right and I just want to add that here in Surin most chemists especially the more modern ones within Supermarkets, can suppy Ventolin&other types of inhalers.

Dave

If you are ever in Bangkok, the best pharmacy is called East West Pharmacy just off soi 15 on Sukhumvit Road. That's where I get my asthma medicine like Seretide Accuhaler, Singulaire, Clarityne, etc. Ask for Ying. If he doesn't have it in stock, he will find it for you. Price beats any other Bangkok pharmacy prices and in some cases, even cheaper than prices in Hong Kong. I'm sure he will have ventolin, pulmicort, rhinocort or anyother similar inhalers.

Another pharmacy I've used is in Amarin Plaza on 1st floor (one above ground floor) right by the entry to BTS station Chidlom.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

How does Ventoline compare to Bricanyl and Pulmicort inhaler?

If you are ever in Bangkok, the best pharmacy is called East West Pharmacy just off soi 15 on Sukhumvit Road. That's where I get my asthma medicine like Seretide Accuhaler, Singulaire, Clarityne, etc. Ask for Ying. If he doesn't have it in stock, he will find it for you. Price beats any other Bangkok pharmacy prices and in some cases, even cheaper than prices in Hong Kong. I'm sure he will have ventolin, pulmicort, rhinocort or anyother similar inhalers.

Anyone has their contact info or other equally good recomendations?

(I live in Huaw Kwuang/Suttisarn.)

Edited by TAWP

Another pharmacy I've used is in Amarin Plaza on 1st floor (one above ground floor) right by the entry to BTS station Chidlom.

What price do you pay for Singulair 10mg, 28 pack?

How does Ventoline compare to Bricanyl and Pulmicort inhaler?

Ventolin is a brand name for salbutamol. Bricanyl is a brand name for terbutaline. Both are drugs in the class called beta 2 agonist, so they are similiat in action but are not identical preparations. terbuatline and salbutamol are both readily available here in tablet form under many brand names (including some inexpensive locally made ones) but only salbutamol is available in inhaler form. Although they are the same class of drug, I would still advise checking with your physican before changing from one to another, and for dosage guidance.

Pulmicort is budesonide, a steroid and thus totally different class of drug. Definitely not to be taken without advice from a doctor, and not interchangable with Beta 2 agonist drugs.

• 10 months later...

My mom is asking me to find a similarly effective product to Primatene Mist which is off the market. What is a suitable alternative sold here that I can buy for her? She likes Primatene for quick relief.

Primatene was a pretty nasty product! My suggestion is definitely Ventolin which is much better than Primatene. It's the universal relief inhaler. Over the counter in Thailand of course.

• 7 years later...
Just wondering if any Clenil inhalers in Phuket or Bangkok?
Try Boots. They stock it at some Boots in Pattaya and if you go to one that doesn't the pharmacist can check on their computer for other locations that do. It comes in two doses. 50 and 250. Fascino which I think is in Bangkok only has 250 in Pattaya. Clenil is not a rescue inhaler. It's a steroid preventer.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

if you plan to stay in Thailand for long time ( e.g. longer than few months ). please please consider have a visit with doctors in some hospital with spirometer. there are alway some chances that you may have to increase or decrease to dosage of inhale steroid.

• 3 years later...

Good day, found this thread with great info but not active for some time. I live here in Thailand now for 20 years and have over that time often been irritated by poor air. Going thru that again now and wondering what inhaler recommendations others may have, now that some years have passed. Has anyone heard of Ectoine inhaler products here? 

I would like to get something that will give me relief in times of poor air quality and thanks in advance for all replies. I would go see a dr. but recent experiences have been very negative so am hesitant.

Cheers enjoy the day

18 hours ago, kuma said:

Good day, found this thread with great info but not active for some time. I live here in Thailand now for 20 years and have over that time often been irritated by poor air. Going thru that again now and wondering what inhaler recommendations others may have, now that some years have passed. Has anyone heard of Ectoine inhaler products here? 

I would like to get something that will give me relief in times of poor air quality and thanks in advance for all replies. I would go see a dr. but recent experiences have been very negative so am hesitant.

Cheers enjoy the day

Ectoin inhalation solution is not yet available here

Do you have diagnosed asthma? Or is this just irritation from air pollution?

Frankly moving to an area with less pollution is the best answer. Or - if in a place like Chiang Mai where there is a definite seasonal pattern to the problem - take a tyrip elsewhere  the relevant months.

14 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Ectoin inhalation solution is not yet available here

Do you have diagnosed asthma? Or is this just irritation from air pollution?

Frankly moving to an area with less pollution is the best answer. Or - if in a place like Chiang Mai where there is a definite seasonal pattern to the problem - take a tyrip elsewhere  the relevant months.

Hi Sheryl. I hear you. On my list of attributes for the place we bought, air quality was high on the list. We are in Chanthaburi, which does better than almost all provinces in terms of AQI (afaik) but it still has times where it gets bad and no I do not have diagnosed asthma, more irritation and heavy breathing when exposed to bad air. I am not sure if there is anywhere else better to go in Thailand in terms of air - of course regions ebb and flow but not sure could stay on the road for two months ducking the air, lol, but I would like to.

Is the Ectoin solution a good one in your opinion? I wonder if it can be had online, if it was worth it, or better to just see a local Dr and see what they offer?

Have a great day

8 hours ago, kuma said:

Hi Sheryl. I hear you. On my list of attributes for the place we bought, air quality was high on the list. We are in Chanthaburi, which does better than almost all provinces in terms of AQI (afaik) but it still has times where it gets bad and no I do not have diagnosed asthma, more irritation and heavy breathing when exposed to bad air. I am not sure if there is anywhere else better to go in Thailand in terms of air - of course regions ebb and flow but not sure could stay on the road for two months ducking the air, lol, but I would like to.

Is the Ectoin solution a good one in your opinion? I wonder if it can be had online, if it was worth it, or better to just see a local Dr and see what they offer?

Have a great day

Evidence for ectoin is scanty with many studies indicating it won't do much more than plain saline nasal rinse. I don't know of any way to get it online, only one German company makes it.

Local Dr is not going to offer much if anything and may prescribe unnecessary meds (like asthma inhaler) which just add to your problems. If it gets really bad I suggest coming to see this doctor in Bangkok : DR.SONGKLOT AEUMJATURAPAT    https://www.saintlouis.or.th/en/FindDoctor

Nasal irrigations with normal saline may help some. Can use a neti pot or just a bulb syringe.

Are you sure the issue is air pollution and not seasonal allergy? For the later antihistamines can help.

I clicked on this thread out of interest and was surprised to see that it was I who started it nearly 14 years ago.

As an update (after 13 years living in Thailand), I was facing a small operation about 4 years ago, and the surgeon was reluctant to proceed because of my poor blood/oxygen level. I was prescribed a course of Symbicort Turbuhaler (budesonide/formateral), and the transformation from the effect of the previous steroid inhaler I was using was amazing. I have used it ever since, one puff morning and evening. I have to resort to Ventolin so infrequently that the inhaler is 3 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Evidence for ectoin is scanty with many studies indicating it won't do much more than plain saline nasal rinse. I don't know of any way to get it online, only one German company makes it.

Local Dr is not going to offer much if anything and may prescribe unnecessary meds (like asthma inhaler) which just add to your problems. If it gets really bad I suggest coming to see this doctor in Bangkok : DR.SONGKLOT AEUMJATURAPAT    https://www.saintlouis.or.th/en/FindDoctor

Nasal irrigations with normal saline may help some. Can use a neti pot or just a bulb syringe.

Are you sure the issue is air pollution and not seasonal allergy? For the later antihistamines can help.

Thanks very much for the insights into self treatment, the suggestion of a Dr to visit and the point about allergies. I have had this issue with shortness of breath on and off over the 20 years I have been here and it has been the case in Bkk, Chonburi and now out East here in Chan, so I think it is poor AQI over any allergy but would not hurt to check...or maybe it would hurt, these days Dr visits are not what they used to be. I for sure have a tendency to over think these things and I know that does not help matters. Will ponder making an appt to see the mentioned Dr if we get ourselves to Bkk...thanks. All is good now as the AQI subsided so that makes me think that is the driver....

You might also try taking Redoxan (Vitamin C plus Zinc, available in all pharmacies) daily during the periods when it bothers you. Zinc has a protective effect in the respiratory tract.

Air purifiers in the house, and masks worn when outside, may also be of some help

Sheryl, yes thanks I was just thinking of going to get some berroca (sp?) one of those fizzy tablets with a vitamin cocktail, I will look for this one as you mention. Have air purifiers, been a staple in the house for 12+ years. I avoid the masks but did wear one yesterday while out and tbh it was beneficial, to my surprise. Pretty sure now this is anxiety at its base, seems I am having a tough run right now. Big issue is I am trying so hard to catch a breath that my stomach expands and gets like a rock, from breathing improperly I imagine. Very uncomfortable.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and for spending your valuable time to reply.