Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Robson has "recorded in summer, C.Thailand" for Brown-headed Gull. Gulls are notorious for wandering and turning up in odd places at odd times, though.

Interesting. I have unfortunately lost my Robson - or misplaced it - so if I don't find it soon will replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

Seem to remember someone saying they had a book on Raptors.

Just got back from another trip to Nam Tok Sam Lan NP and got photos of these two birds, both of which would appear to be raptors.

post-12069-0-94125400-1408622782_thumb.j

This one was with a group of 5 or 6 Black Baza and landed briefly, just long enough for the one shot.

Not a good aspect looking straight up the bum but had to take what I could get.

Bald yellow legs, prominent eye ring and looks like bars under the tail, a bit bigger than the Baza, cant pick it from the books I have.

post-12069-0-79669000-1408623197_thumb.j

post-12069-0-23441300-1408623458_thumb.j

This one was in late evening with very little light and as usual to far away, hand held with high ISO and low speed.

Would also appear to be a raptor. It flew up from the ground alongside a stream in the forest on to the branch it is on.

Appeared to be quite small compared to the Baza.

Barred breast and prominent white mark above the eye.

On the second bird, I would say it's either a juv Shikra, Besra, or Japanese Sparrowhawk. If you're sure it was smaller than the Baza, then that would make Sparrowhawk more probable.

On the first, not sure, but would lean towards one of the above three again.

The shape of bill rules out cuckoo in my opinion. Also, I can't think of a cuckoo with barring that bold.

Juvenile Shikra can have fairly bold horizontal side barring, as can Besra and Japanese Sparrowhawk. If you go to OBC Images and put in Japanaese Sparrowhawk, the first image that comes up is a good example of a possible match.

Think the first bird could be a Jerdon's Baza without the crest, the eye looks right as well.

According to the book I have they have been recorded as resident in that area.

Been looking through OBC and see photo number 3 (and others) has a bird without crest or without one showing.

As I said it was with a group of Black Baza, don't know if being of the same Aviceda makes it likely that they could be together, possibly a young bird hanging around with young B B. Possibly even been from an adjacent nest.

The other, not wonderful photos, trying to compare with something I see regularly and probably about the same size as black shouldered kite or a little smaller.

Here in Chonburi, Whiskered Tern and Pacific Golden Plovers are both back for the winter as of two days ago. I used to get both of these when I was in Surin. Anyone seeing either of these up in Isaan yet this year? I am still waiting on the usual cast of characters to appear: Shrike, Flycatchers, Ashy Drongo, Warblers, etc.

Here in Chonburi, Whiskered Tern and Pacific Golden Plovers are both back for the winter as of two days ago. I used to get both of these when I was in Surin. Anyone seeing either of these up in Isaan yet this year? I am still waiting on the usual cast of characters to appear: Shrike, Flycatchers, Ashy Drongo, Warblers, etc.

I sighted a solitary Whiskered Tern over at Lam Plai Mat dam (N14.28881/E102.45123) on 27th Aug. Also saw a tiny wader but it took wing when I tried to get nearer.

No Black Drongos or Leaf Warblers or Shrikes yet.

On the second bird, I would say it's either a juv Shikra, Besra, or Japanese Sparrowhawk.

Hi guys . . . only just found this raptor query.

the 2nd pic is almost certainly a juvenile Besra. Why? the very bold marking below & most importantly, the broad tail bands (much thinner on a juv Jap Sprawk). I said almost certainly, because you can't really see the thighs or 'trousers' that would be equally strongly marked. But this can be explained if the bird is hunched down (it appears to be) and the thigh feathers are tucked into the body.

Single Yellow Wagtail sighted feeding on banks of same lake yesterday 02.09.14

And increased numbers of Whiskered terns.

Single Yellow Wagtail sighted feeding on banks of same lake yesterday 02.09.14

And increased numbers of Whiskered terns.

Saw what I have picked as grey wagtail (4 different birds) in Nam Tok Sam Lan NP on 18,19,20th last month.

post-12069-0-02478000-1409918088_thumb.j

2 days back at the kanchanaburi railway station got this long range shot of what appears to be a shrike (brown) although it looked big for a shrike.

post-12069-0-05749200-1409918214_thumb.j

Also marsh and wood sandpiper last month in Singburi, although they may be birds that have stayed here as I have seen some sandpiper every month.

post-12069-0-69205800-1409918624_thumb.j

Just come across this while looking for something else, From 13th to 21st Sept at Cha-am, thought someone might be interested :

For bird lovers, free-of-charge bird watching trips to Bueng Ta-kad-plee and Nang Panthurat National Park leave twice daily at 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. during 14 – 21 September, 2014. The trips will be conducted by bird experts, who will guide visitors to enjoy watching both local and migratory birds, which are abundant both in numbers and species. -

See more at: http://www.tatnews.org/feast-on-shellfish-bird-watching-and-squid-fishing-festival-2014-in-phetchaburi/#sthash.Pejl9Pc8.dpuf

Not sure if Black Drongo is migrant or resident but they seem to disappear and reappear with the migrants. Anyway saw one just after passing Chok Chai while driving west towards BKK today.

It's certainly a winter visitor in Buriram, so probably the same for you. Resident further north. I haven't had one yet this year. Last year I had a single bird mid- summer but the winter visitors came in September and the beginning of October..

I had a pair of Olive-backed Pipits yesterday.... but the passerine migrants seem hardly to have started.

Not sure if Black Drongo is migrant or resident but they seem to disappear and reappear with the migrants. Anyway saw one just after passing Chok Chai while driving west towards BKK today.

For sure they are a resident around the Singburi area, I see them all year round in good numbers.

The only sure sign of migrants I have seen so far are an increasing number of barn swallows, some have stayed but now I see them in long lines on the wires.

For sure they are a resident around the Singburi area, I see them all year round in good numbers.

The only sure sign of migrants I have seen so far are an increasing number of barn swallows, some have stayed but now I see them in long lines on the wires.

They certainly appear round about now Robby in my area and at its peak they number by the hundreds only to disappear around March/April. I have Robson's 'Birds of Thailand' 2002 edition. note: not the 'Birds of SEA' and in this guide they are shown as resident throughout Thailand except the far south.

Anyway, today while taking the dog out for his daily run, I saw a small flock of perhaps a dozen Bee-eaters with central tail prong and much larger sized than the usual Green Bee-eaters so I guess they were Blue-throated. Had them around last year too but only very briefly as they don't seem to hang around my patch; perhaps passing through?

Still no shrikes or leaf warblers.

Just had my first flycatcher of the year down here in Chonburi and it was a stunning male Yellow-rumped FC. Got photos, but all a bit fuzzy as the lighting was awful and I'm a hack with a glorified super-zoom point and shoot camera. Great looks though and it's not a bird you can mistake. I used to see these in Surin, always near water.

On Black Drongos, in Surin I had them down as Residents and Winter Visitor, as I would see them often enough through the summer months, with the exception of June.

Saw this today, Black Bittern.

Flew up from alongside a paddy and landed in the tree where I got a few clicks before it took off again.

post-12069-0-65638200-1410677430_thumb.j

Don't know if it can be classed as a migrant, book I have says it is a breeding visitor.

Only the second one I have seen, the other was in July last year.

Flew up from alongside a paddy and landed in the tree where I got a few clicks before it took off again.

attachicon.gifblack bittern.JPG

Don't know if it can be classed as a migrant, book I have says it is a breeding visitor.

No neck-patch? But I suppose it is just the angle. It's usually fairly obvious.

I have had them as summer visitors every year.... except this year. They like to perch quite high up in trees.

attachicon.gifblack bittern.JPG

No neck-patch? But I suppose it is just the angle. It's usually fairly obvious.

I have had them as summer visitors every year.... except this year. They like to perch quite high up in trees.

I noted that also but it was 'hunched down' for want of a better expression, the black legs rules out anything else (I thought)

Archived