Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

1. I don't think it's a Black-eared Kite. There is too much white above and below the 'eyestripe', and, apparently, some black on the upper breast. What colour was the belly? I suspect one of the smaller eagles.

2. Very likely. I can't be sure because I can't see much of the wing markings.

3. The broad bill suggests that it is a flycatcher.... one of the larger blues.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I don't think it's a Black-eared Kite. There is too much white above and below the 'eyestripe', and, apparently, some black on the upper breast. What colour was the belly? I suspect one of the smaller eagles.

Only aspect in about 10 photos I got of it unfortunately so no breast shot.

The narrow bands on the tail were what pointed me to B-e Kite.

Some more photos, there appears to be a hint of a crest on the back of the neck.

post-12069-0-56810400-1424041343_thumb.j

post-12069-0-08399400-1424041357_thumb.j

post-12069-0-57585800-1424041375_thumb.j

Changeable Hawk Eagle? May be a possibility. Note the very long tail (or short primaries). This would point to a Hawk Eagle of some sort, I think.

Some more photos, there appears to be a hint of a crest on the back of the neck.

attachicon.gifkite.JPG

attachicon.gifkite1.JPG

attachicon.gifkite2.JPG

Just to throw a wrench into the whole thing, what about pale morph Oriental Honey-Buzzard? This would accont for the general shape, pale sides of head, dark throat border and slight crest. (See Robson)

On the doves, could be but if I only had this pic to go on then I would err on the side of caution and have the pic as two Spotted.

On the flycatcher, I would have this one as a probable female Blue-throated.

IB, interesting on the Black vs. Black-eared. Eeeh Gads! Now I feel like I have sift through thousands of unedited photos from Huai Saneng!

Changeable Hawk Eagle? May be a possibility. Note the very long tail (or short primaries). This would point to a Hawk Eagle of some sort, I think.

attachicon.gifkite.JPG

attachicon.gifkite1.JPG

attachicon.gifkite2.JPG

AjarnNorth.... Black/Black-eared Kites. I reckon I've had something like 30 records a year for the past seven years (fewer this year), and this only the second bird I've felt pretty sure was Black. Black-eared is certainly the default form here (Phil Round agrees).

The raptor pics.... I simply don't know. Apart from Serpent Eagle, I don't know the forest eagles.

And actually pretty common:-)

So the books say but I have only ever seen one, at Kanchanaburi.

They love the open areas, with a few scattered trees. Much of their feeding is done by probing the ground with that long bill. I rarely saw them in the north, but here in Buriram they're all over the place..... and I love it! Sometimes three or four in my garden probing away at the soil; at this time of year they may be calling all round, dipping the head as they call. Two or three notes.... but yesterday I had one doing three and four notes!

I've had them pecking at the window.... and on two or three occasions one has come indoors, seen me, given a horrified squawk, and retreated.

Can anyone point me at a picture of a Jerdon's Baza in flight, from above (there are plenty from below)?

I don't really think it was that, though I don't seem to be (in Buriram) too far from their range (the corner of the country round Ubon). Yesterday, I was in an area I don't know well, and came round a corner to see a bird flying along the open space between two rows of large bushes ( a woodland glade would be flattering it). The bird was a medium size raptor, largely chestnut above, with longish wings and a long tail with three or four conspicuous black bars. I only saw the view from the north of the bird going south, and from above.

The nearest I can think of is the Rufous-winged Buzzard, but this is a bird I see almost daily, and it certainly wasn't that. Shape suggests a harrier, but the habitat is against it.

Can anyone point me at a picture of a Jerdon's Baza in flight, from above (there are plenty from below)?

I don't really think it was that, though I don't seem to be (in Buriram) too far from their range (the corner of the country round Ubon). Yesterday, I was in an area I don't know well, and came round a corner to see a bird flying along the open space between two rows of large bushes ( a woodland glade would be flattering it). The bird was a medium size raptor, largely chestnut above, with longish wings and a long tail with three or four conspicuous black bars. I only saw the view from the north of the bird going south, and from above.

The nearest I can think of is the Rufous-winged Buzzard, but this is a bird I see almost daily, and it certainly wasn't that. Shape suggests a harrier, but the habitat is against it.

I think I've got it! Quite a surprise, to me at least.

But I won't post yet what I think it is, because I would love other opinions first.

And actually pretty common:-)

So the books say but I have only ever seen one, at Kanchanaburi.

Your bogey birdlaugh.png

Not really, the bogy ones are the ones I cant figure out what they are.

Like this one.......until today I found out there is a grey morph of the Black Headed Bulbul, that's what I'm picking it is :

post-12069-0-32098800-1425187331_thumb.j post-12069-0-27560400-1425187374_thumb.j

Phu Toei NP again.

Anyone seen one of them before

I would have that as a Streak-eared Bulbul, Robby. Juv to Sub-Adult. I have never seen a grey morph BH, but all the images I have looked at show the striking yellow in the tail that one would expect in a black headed. These pics do not and the first pic shows what look to me like streaked ear-coverts.

I looked at the pics again, and think you're probably right, Hanno and AN. Sorry for my rather superficial first attempt!

I'd love to know both your views on my mystery bird (post 553). I don't think it is particularly difficult once the penny drops. (I started off looking in the wrong direction).

Got confirmation that the raptor I posted earlier is indeed an Oriental Honey Buzzard, probably a 2nd year immature.

Saw another today that would be a male, got a couple of distant shots through branches but enough to get a positive ID

post-12069-0-92891500-1425387255_thumb.j

After saying The other day I had only ever seen one Hoopoe I saw a pair of them today feeding on the ground, might be I should start a wish list and see what happens.

I think it is Streak-eared too. Grey morph still has a black head.

I am really bad at identifying birds from descriptions as really we will all read the description differently. But I guess it was no accipiter after all?

Not a clue, IB. I'm pretty good at fuzzy J-pegs and not too bad at written descriptions when they are what may be expected - for example a non-birder describing a Hoopoe or a Koel or a Coucal or a Jacana - but written descriptions of the unexpected, not so much.

Try Great-eared Nightjar!

I think we all have expectations of what we might see in our home areas. I call that having the birds on the radar. Nightjars certainly weren't on my radar, but when I had a sudden hunch, I looked them up, and it was pretty obvious. The view I had, though brief, was good, and I would certainly have seen white patches on wings or tail.... which is why I say Great-eared rather than one of the others.

(Another good example of a bird 'off the radar' was Robby's Brown-headed Gull. He simply never considered it; I didn't have the preconceptions, and found it fairly easy.)

Robby, what makes you think that's a Honey Buzzard? There's no sign of a crest, and the tail markings are not clear, but don't look right.

Yes, it is easy to sort of walk down the wrong garden path; I have than it on many an occasion.

As for the raptor: the head sure looks like that of a Crested (Oriental) Honey Buzzard to me; and the crest is not always visible in my experience.

I think we all have expectations of what we might see in our home areas. I call that having the birds on the radar. Nightjars certainly weren't on my radar, but when I had a sudden hunch, I looked them up, and it was pretty obvious. The view I had, though brief, was good, and I would certainly have seen white patches on wings or tail.... which is why I say Great-eared rather than one of the others.

(Another good example of a bird 'off the radar' was Robby's Brown-headed Gull. He simply never considered it; I didn't have the preconceptions, and found it fairly easy.)

Robby, what makes you think that's a Honey Buzzard? There's no sign of a crest, and the tail markings are not clear, but don't look right.

It flew quickly past me very close between trees with the tail spread and there was a distinctive wide white band across the under tail, very memorable.

The only others that have that are the crested serpent eagle and one of the fish eagles and it isn't one of them.

It was flying around in trees quite close to the ground, would never have got up more than 4m, there were a lot of other birds around and a couple of squirrels and none of them were taking any notice of it.

It flew quickly past me very close between trees with the tail spread and there was a distinctive wide white band across the under tail, very memorable.

The only others that have that are the crested serpent eagle and one of the fish eagles and it isn't one of them.

It was flying around in trees quite close to the ground, would never have got up more than 4m, there were a lot of other birds around and a couple of squirrels and none of them were taking any notice of it.

In that case I agree with you, Robby. I didn't realise you'd seen it flying.

Hope you saw the Great White, Hanno.

This morning I finally nailed down the Striated Swallow (please don't take that literally!). The bird flew quite close to the ground in front of me, and I could see very distinct streaks on the rump; in fact, they made the whole rump look dusky. I've seen a lot of Red-rumped this year, and none of them have been like this.

Archived