Birdwatching In Isan

isanbirder

Would you believe it, a Black Bittern got up at my feet in my flycatcher wood this morning (the wood is also a flooded rice paddy). I also didn't see the yellow patch, though I had a good view of the north end going south.

The past few days there have been a few flycatchers around, but up in the canopy against the light.... and in a flooded rice paddy it is not possible to work round to get another angle. This morning I did get a good one, though, a Ferruginous.

Also today another once-a-year bird for my patch, a Little Cormorant.

The Brown Shrikes have arrived, but no Black Drongos yet. And today the first Barn Swallow since August 18 (I usually get a few every day these two months, but no large numbers until next month).

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got this one very early this morning when it was still dark. I woke to get ready for a trip to the lake when I heard it calling. Quickly gathering my gear I managed a couple of shots and while fiddling to set the flash intensity it flew away so only these 2 very under-exposed shots. Its call was a simple "hoo" repeated every 10 to 20 seconds.

From the call I would say it's a Collared Scops-owl but not sure looking at its plumage. It looked too big physically for Collared Scops.

And on the lake, I heard a call that was a single note "chee-u" repeated every 3 to 5 seconds. Moments later I saw a flycatcher like bird take off and what appeared to be a bright band on the rump. Unsure if it was yellow or otherwise. When it flew it was joined by another similar bird.

post-128422-0-13226200-1410755550_thumb.

post-128422-0-43683200-1410755570_thumb.

I've often heard, but rarely seen, Collared Scops Owl. They seem to have an inbuilt timer which sets off the call every twelve seconds. You try timing them!

A party of Whiskered Terns flying across the rice paddy this morning (admittedly, they were near the irrigation channel). I wonder how often people see them taking an overland route? This is my second batch in six years here.

Got this one very early this morning when it was still dark. I woke to get ready for a trip to the lake when I heard it calling. Quickly gathering my gear I managed a couple of shots and while fiddling to set the flash intensity it flew away so only these 2 very under-exposed shots. Its call was a simple "hoo" repeated every 10 to 20 seconds.

From the call I would say it's a Collared Scops-owl but not sure looking at its plumage. It looked too big physically for Collared Scops.

And on the lake, I heard a call that was a single note "chee-u" repeated every 3 to 5 seconds. Moments later I saw a flycatcher like bird take off and what appeared to be a bright band on the rump. Unsure if it was yellow or otherwise. When it flew it was joined by another similar bird.

I found it again early last night but only got a rear view. Still uncertain if it truly is Collared Scops other than going by its call.

post-128422-0-54519900-1410835643_thumb.

Those who know me will know that every weird shrike seems to head my way.

Today's version:-

Bright chestnut head, upper tail-coverts and tail. The rest of the upperparts were brown. Narrow black mask, with an indistinct supercilium. No white on wings or tail in flight. Underparts washed buffish. Seemed a smallish bird.

I had a good view both at rest and in flight. Brown Shrike superciliosus.... but in that case, why no supercilium?

I was told that my shrike was nominate cristatus, which has a bright chestnut head. Neither Lekagul and Round nor Robson mention this, though Robson mentions it under 'other subspecies' with 'throughout' in brackets.... but no description.

If anybody can help on the range of the nominate subspecies, please let me know.

Robson uses Thailand NE to cover a very large area, and this is not particularly helpful for distribution. His SE Asia book says Common resident for the whole area (except the extreme south) for Red-whiskered Bulbul. Here in Buriram I have not seen one yet.

I can't answer your question, laolover, but some bulbuls do seem to make a sort of incipient migration; I ringed several hundred Pycnonotus goiavier in KL many years ago, and we found that we were retrapping birds after six months!

Red-whiskered Bulbul is one of the most popular caged birds in SE Asian and it's my understanding that trapping for the caged bird trade is probably the major cause for the decline in this species. See Round "Birds of Bangkok Area" for more on this. Two plus years consistently watching a pretty large area in Surin (Huai Saneng Reservoir area) that offered up the perfect habitat, I saw one. I now live in Chonburi and have seen them on a couple occasions, though always in the same place and only one so could well be an escape. Every time i have visited Kao Yai I have seen at least one.

Just got back last night from a week down Hua Hin , had a day at Pa-la U waterfall and another at Sam roy Rot. Will do a bit on that later but first.

Went out this morning to one of my favorite swamps and saw more birds of more species than in the previous week.

Got photos of he first of the brown shrikes and what would seem to be a Nightjar, a first for me but which one ?

post-12069-0-93960800-1411272916_thumb.j

Just got back last night from a week down Hua Hin , had a day at Pa-la U waterfall and another at Sam roy Rot. Will do a bit on that later but first.

Went out this morning to one of my favorite swamps and saw more birds of more species than in the previous week.

Got photos of he first of the brown shrikes and what would seem to be a Nightjar, a first for me but which one ?

attachicon.gifnightjar.JPG

I am at work and so don't have books with me, Robby, but I don't think this is one of the Nightjars. If I had to venture a guess I would say maybe a juvenile Blue Bock Thrush??? Anyone else?

All sorts of oddments around these days...

this morning, an adult Black-crowned Night-heron at the top of a tree in the temple grounds, visible from my house

also, a Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler.

two days ago, a Whiskered Tern fishing in the ditch beside the track.... never seen one nearer

a few days ago, a Little Cormorant

All these are unusual birds in my patch. (not the Pallas's, but this is an early record for me)

How about this? Eurasian Wryneck. (I tried to copy an image off the net, but it was disallowed!) Sometimes they hold the head out straight!

Not a Nightjar; the bill is too long for a start. Too variegated IMO for a Rock Thrush.

Yep! Agreed. Home with books now and IB has this one pegged. Eurasian Wryneck. I've never seen one. I see Nightjar often here in C'buri. Very distinctive shape and proportioning, and yes, very short bill.

How about this? Eurasian Wryneck. (I tried to copy an image off the net, but it was disallowed!) Sometimes they hold the head out straight!

Not a Nightjar; the bill is too long for a start. Too variegated IMO for a Rock Thrush.

Yep! Agreed. Home with books now and IB has this one pegged. Eurasian Wryneck. I've never seen one. I see Nightjar often here in C'buri. Very distinctive shape and proportioning, and yes, very short bill.

Thanks for that fellas, really had no idea where to start with that one, never seen anything like it before.

I've seen Wryneck three or four times here (once one flew on to a tree where I was puzzling over a Burmese Shrike!). Usually the neck turned at odd angles is a giveaway.... otherwise the long blackish eyestripe.

Barn Owl this morning.... my first live bird (I had a dead one a couple of years back).

Been going through the photos from the south and have some of a common kingfisher, thought it was something different but at home for sure a common, that was at Sam Roy Yot south of Hua Hin, a first for the season for me..

Will do the whole list in a couple of days but first something for the raptor book;

post-12069-0-99390400-1411388423_thumb.j

Quite a small bird that looked to be hawking for insects among the trees only got the one shot of it before it moved on. Was taken in Hua Hin.

Possibly a Japanese Sparrowhawk or a juvenile Besra

Another odd one at my favorite swamp this morning a bird that I have never seen before, about the size of a bulbul and well up a dead tree.

post-12069-0-78327200-1411789619_thumb.j

post-12069-0-15196000-1411789667_thumb.j

Even though it was well up a tree I am tending towards either Indian or Oriental Reed Warbler.

Also got my best shots yet of a Cinnamon Bittern and several brown shrike.

Yes, Oriental Reed Warbler.

First Black Drongos of the winter this morning, definitely a winter visitor here.

Also one of those mysteries which occurs about this time of year. A bird, about the size of a smallish pigeon, exploded from the paddy about 10' from me, and went up into a tree, where it resisted any further view. Bright chestnut wings and tail, without any markings, didn't see the head, and actually heard the wings as it flew up. No idea what it was.

Thought I had another new one yesterday morning at a different swamp but it turned out to be an immature common moorhen.

I have seen the adults before but this is the first time for a younger one.

When I put the photos on the computer I saw that there was an adult in one of the photos that I hadn't seen, with the 2 immature that I saw together there is a good chance they have nested there, the book I have does show them as a resident in this area.

I used to see Moorhen in Surin, Robby, from 12 November to end of May in 2010 and then not again until December the following year. Single individuals and occasional pairs but never had juveniles or other breeding records... but it was a big area so it's possible they were breeding there. Here in Chonburi I see them often and with juvs.

Finally the usual cast of autumn characters are beginning to arrive. First Brown Shrike two days ago and a couple since. First Asian Brown Flycatcher on 29 Septemkber and then in the same area four today. A Blue Rock-thrush last week in a place where i have seen same three years running. A Eurasian (Indian) Thick-knee that has been a perennial visitor at some fishponds I visit regularly, always skulking among a group of Pacific Golden Plovers.

One Black Drongo the day before yesterday. My soi is dominated by Ashy Drongo in winter but they have yet to arrive.

Also out in the fishpond area are the usual greenshank, redshank, LR Plovers, etc. and so on.

That's it

Over my end, spotted a single Black-naped Oriole making its way across a wooded area.

Still no leaf warblers and no Black Drongos either.

Sometimes in the still of night out in the yard, I can hear birds in flight across the night sky but of course not sighted. Could they be migratory birds?

Could well be, Jack.

Bumper day today for migrants. First Grey Heron, Marsh Harrier and Stonechat of the autumn. Dark form of the Ashy Drongo (I had White-cheeked yesterday). A few Black Drongos around, and two Purple Herons, a scarce bird in my area. Asian Brown Flycatcher (only my second this year), and two which I think were Taiga. But not a single Barn Swallow today!

Finally Moving to spain on the 24th of this month,moving to San Fulgencio on the edge of the salt lakes south of Alicante, plenty of waders , flamingo,s and pelicans, it seems to also be on the main migration route to Africa,for all kinds of raptors.And in the mountains near Alcoi we have a winter feeding and control set up for local raptors especially European Vultures Mostly Gyps Vulvus, if the health allows we are hoping to start up another raptor care unit so hope for some good photo,s more news after the 24thcool.png

Finally got round to looking at what I got on the trip to Huahin.

Most significant for me were new birds : Purple Heron, Collared Kingfisher, Orange breasted Trogon, White Bellied Sea Eagle (in flight) a group of Terns, not sure if common or little. A leaf bird that I cant ID (poor photo), Asian Fairy Bluebird that I have had before on Koh Chang and the first Common Kingfisher of the season.

Local I got my first Paradise flycatcher the other day at Phu Khae botanical gardens, also plenty of mixed flocks of Racket tailed Drongos, Racket tailed Treepai, Black crested Bulbul and Stripe Throated Bulbul.

First Wagtail on the footpath along the river on Friday and a Black Capped Kingfisher yesterday at a swamp, this morning a female stonechat down by the river.

Barn Swallows everywhere sitting on wires and hawking over the river and Brown Shrike all over the place sitting on trees, wires and TV ariels.

Plan to head over to Phu Toei National Park Tuesday after I do my 90 day report tomorrow, only about 130k from here and never been there before, hope to see some new stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Had the attached Crested Serpent-Eagle just over my house today in Bangsaen, Chonburi. I have only seen this species twice and both times right from my garden here, the first time was one at rest on top of a utility pole just outside my house and got many pics. Today, in flight. Pics not great. Never had one in Surin but they should have been there and may very well have been and I didn't see one.

As for winter visitors, the usual suspects are in. Ashy Drongo since 1 October making a racket up and down the soi, Black-winged Cuckoo Shrike, Asian Brown Flycatchers, Inornate Warblers and one oriental Reed, Pacific Golden Plover, a regular Eurasian Thick-knee, Black Drongos... Nothing particularly exciting as yet but good to have the visitors back. Will be up in the Chiang Mai and Mae Hongson area later in the month and looking forward a bit of birding up there.

post-91156-0-34883700-1413291744_thumb.j

Serpent Eagle is basically a forest bird, but they do seem to straggle a bit. The last one I saw was perched alongside the road from Mae Sot to Umphang. In my own patch in Buriram I've seen two, one way up in the sky tagging along with a migrating flock of Honey Buzzards, and the other at eye level in the middle of a large bush. It was being mobbed by a couple of crows, and I never did work out what it was doing there!

Serpent Eagle is basically a forest bird, but they do seem to straggle a bit. The last one I saw was perched alongside the road from Mae Sot to Umphang. In my own patch in Buriram I've seen two, one way up in the sky tagging along with a migrating flock of Honey Buzzards, and the other at eye level in the middle of a large bush. It was being mobbed by a couple of crows, and I never did work out what it was doing there!

I went to have a quick look at Phu Toi NP last week, a less than ideal day, misty after heavy overnight rain.

Didn't ask me to pay to go in, friendly fella that looked at my number plate, said from Singburi, that I could talk to him a bit in Thai might have helped, and lifted the barrier and waved me through.

Didn't see much of any significance only thing being a Black naped Oriole, and not much else that I could ID other than drongo, black crested and black headed bulbul and fantail. There were several others including a wide winged raptor that flew over and a red bird that flew up into a tree.

Parked down the bottom and walked up the road that goes through the middle of the park for a bit, evergreen forest down the bottom that gets into a lot of bamboo forest farther up, as far as I went, according to the guff on the park that changes farther up. Not much bird life in the bamboo most was lower down.

Not a bad road for, a forest road, as far as I went other than some mud puddles left from the rain, would have no qualms about driving up in dry weather.

Will go back next month after a week or so of dry to have another explore.

Local there are good numbers of stonechats, males are around the roads through paddy, on the side of the road rather than in the rice. females seem to be down by the river. The black bittern I got a pic of before looks to have taken up residence as I have seen it every time I have been back to the same swamp.

Saw an odd one this morning a darker bird up in a dead tree with openbill, closer look showed it to be what appears to be a dark openbill :

post-12069-0-05242200-1413445198_thumb.j

Was looking at some of the Nam Tok Sam Lan photos and one that I had dismissed as just another drongo on a closer look would seem to be an Asian Drongo Cuckoo :

post-12069-0-43418300-1413445422_thumb.j post-12069-0-37812600-1413445807_thumb.j

If correct it would be another new one for me and another from that park.

Archived