Swedes And Britons In Thai Bus Crash

george

Swedes and Britons in Thai bus crash

BANGKOK: -- At least 18 foreigners was injured in a bus crash in Thailand at around 11pm on Saturday evening. A total of 18 foreigners were injured, most of them Swedes. All of the injured have been transported to hospital and at least one has been operated.

The accident happened about one hour from Bangkok on the way to Krabi. The Bangkok-Krabi shuttle bus slided off the road, rammed a tree and turned over.

- "Most of the injured tourists on board were Swedish and several Britons was injured as well", says Maja Nilsson at the Swedish Ministry of Foreign Affairs press unit to aftonbladet.se.

The British and Swedish embassies have set up a crise center for the involved tourists, most of them adult backpackers.

More info will follow.

--Aftonbladet.se / Agencies

Edited by george

Been here in LOS for 18 years, been on a bus once only, 18 years ago. I would rather WALK from BKK to anywhere, than take a Thai bus. Driving or motorbiking here requires guts, but anyone who has seen my fantastic collection of Thai auto accident photos, mostly buses and trucks (or both head-on) would NEVER consider going on a long haul bus in the Kingdom. Nuff said.

It's sad to finnish your holyday in this way.

I hope all the people have a travelinsurance for the medical expences and wish them all the best.

The good part is that the driver probably will do some workouts, by running away from the scene :o

It's sad to finnish your holyday in this way.

I hope all the people have a travelinsurance for the medical expences and wish them all the best.

The good part is that the driver probably will do some workouts, by running away from the scene :o

No seat belts = no chance in such accidents. What a sad indictment on this country's road safety record.

Been here in LOS for 18 years, been on a bus once only, 18 years ago. I would rather WALK from BKK to anywhere, than take a Thai bus. [snip]

Fair enough if you've got a reliable car and driver. For those of us who have to rely on public transport there's not really any very feasible alternative to the buses (trains are too slow and too infrequent). Given the way that many taxi drivers behave on the expressways, I wouldn't fancy taking one of them.

As it is, my wife and I have been using the Ekamai-Pattaya bus route regularly for the last four years. In all that time, although there have been a few hair-raising moments we've only ever been in one accident - a pickup pulled out of a side road without looking, and the bus driver didn't stand a chance of avoiding him (though he braked pretty hard). Made a nasty mess of the pickup, but all that happened to us was that the windscreen was broken and there was a dent in the front of the bodywork.

Moral: if you're going to travel by road, you might as well be in as large a vehicle as possible. :o

I agree with some of you about the driving here in Thailand. The trucks here is the absolute worse ever. They move away from their lane and take half of my lane and I have flashed my lights and even honked my horn at them. They don't give a flying foodle of who you are. If your in a car you're at their mercy. Buses too do the same and some of them even push you away. Many of the cars I have noticed actually do slow down when approaching these buses and trucks and these are thai drivers, so they definitely have to know something about these large vehicles.

But when I come across a police check point, oh I love it when I see the police keep pulling these trucks over for their nightly take in of good cash.

One truck driver told me a run from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, they have to bring with them from their company at least minimum of 5,000 baht, because the police do pull them over and the truckers have to pay them bribe money to keep going or they get tickets.

But I will be darn when it comes to speeding. These coppers are indeed sneeky on their checkpoints, and if your speeding, those cops pull you over and they know which vehicle to look for. Somebody with a radar gun is well hidden in the trees off the road gunning the vehicles while someone else has the binocs looking at plate numbers and radio ahead. The police here do not chase you. They do not need to do that because they know your on the way coming to them. In America they chase you all over the place. So which police department appears to be smarter in this subject?????

So like it or not, I am getting myself a beauty of a radar/ laser detector. I have had enough of these surprises.

Daveyo

but anyone who has seen my fantastic collection of Thai auto accident photos, mostly buses and trucks (or both head-on) would NEVER consider going on a long haul bus in the Kingdom.

You go around taking photographs of road accidents ? :o

I must admit to having some near misses on Thai buses before though.

... I am getting myself a beauty of a radar/ laser detector.  I have had enough of these surprises.

Daveyo

:D:D They are great fun - used to have one in England. Best thing is to remember where they like to stand with their guns. In England I was always going too fast to slow down enough to not get done, but I learnt where the lasers were on the M3 and M25, so I used to slow down at those places. And it always surprised me how many other drivers would slow down at the same places :D:D:D

But I couldn't use it on the "long range" setting around town - even the Tesco's automatic doors would set it off :o

Probably wouldn't have mattered in this case. but I was advised to sit on the left side, since so many collisions happen while passing, and the worst damage is often on the right side from the collision with the oncoming vehicle...

One truck driver told me a run from Chiang Mai to Bangkok, they have to bring with them from their company at least minimum of 5,000 baht, because the police do pull them over and the truckers have to pay them bribe money to keep going or they get tickets.

Unless he's running very illegal, I'd say that's a bit of a stretch- cetainly not the norm among truck drivers on that route. 5,000 baht would likely be far more than their entire profit for that trip if they're an independent or even fpr many companies. Some years ago, one of the Thai news stations had video of drivers routinly tossing 20 baht notes out the window when they slowed down for the largest checkpoint near Tak. One driver was quoted as saying the 20 baht got them through without being stopped, unless there was some obvious infraction visible as they're passing by...

Up until fairly recently, the Highway police sold stickers to truckers under the table, signaling a free pass at most check points along the CM/Bkk route, and other routes, too. Forgotten the price exactly, but 20,000 baht per year somehow sticks in my mind...

Been here in LOS for 18 years, been on a bus once only, 18 years ago. I would rather WALK from BKK to anywhere, than take a Thai bus. Driving or motorbiking here requires guts, but anyone who has seen my fantastic collection of Thai auto accident photos, mostly buses and trucks (or both head-on) would NEVER consider going on a long haul bus in the Kingdom. Nuff said.

I read a story about an Aussie guy who went around taking snaps of accidents in and around Thailand.....son of a Polly......is that you ?????

I read a story about an Aussie guy who went around taking snaps of accidents in and around Thailand.....son of a Polly......is that you ?????

Each to their own "hobby" I suppose, but if you want to see some really good wrecks, go visit the Taj Mahal and take the Delhi to Agra bus. And wear some thick - absorbent - underpants :o

When the Japanese capitulated in 1945 following the nuclear bomb drops it put a number of their war support organisations out of business overnight. Recognising an opportunity the Kamikaze pilot's school was moved from Tokyo to Bangkok and the syllabus adapted to train Thai provincial bus drivers. Boy, they learned well! I have driven over 600,000 kms on Thai roads in the last 30 years and I have yet to see a provincial bus driver driving with due care and attention. Witness the number of times, as a car driver, you are faced with a speeding bus overtaking other vehicles and on collision course with you. Do they give way? Not a chance! You end up taking to the shoulder - if there is one - and hoping to keep control.

I appreciate these guys have a schedule to keep but at the expense of all other road users. I have ridden these buses as a passenger and usually try sitting as far to the rear as possible but that does not eliminate the risk, only reduces it.Make sure you have insurance and a will.

Don't kid yourself that these buses are bigger and stronger than other vehicles. The chassis is but the bodywork is just thin metal panels over a flimsy frame and I have seen them ripped open like sardine cans with the poor occupants strewn over the roads.

Fortunately, the number of serious and fatal accidents compared to the number of trips made daily Kingdom-wide is small; asuming that all accidents are reported! :o

We seem to get tourist bus crashes here in NZ fairly regurlarly, can happen anywhere

Know its slim experience but did a couple of bus trips in LOS and was favourably impressed with the roads, driving and comfort

Only farang on the bus both times

but anyone who has seen my fantastic collection of Thai auto accident photos, mostly buses and trucks (or both head-on) would NEVER consider going on a long haul bus in the Kingdom.

You go around taking photographs of road accidents ? :o

I must admit to having some near misses on Thai buses before though.

then they wouldn't be called tourists

so sad...why would some tourist or anybody for that fact, take pictures of an accident or a dead person?? its just not the right thing to do...strange how other cultures are

Been here in LOS for 18 years, been on a bus once only, 18 years ago.

After such a long time in Thailand I am sorry to see your experiences are so limited.

If your call a bus trip an experience, you should get out more. Buses are for back packers!

buses, bikes, motocycles, cars, trains, they are all means of transportation. buses are cheap and get ppl around, so whats the biggy?

I trust the Swedes and the Brits make a speedy recover... BUS rides in Thailand.. Private companies, shuttle buses..are suspects.. especially the Had Yai visa runs.

One of the more tragic accidents years ago.. a group of Japanese tourist on the way to Sangklaburi, crashing and killing all... And the driver.

Depends of the company.. the vets know which companies to take.. Look at the team drivers.. the Thai companies.. do actually make an effort to take care of their drivers and passengers.. The Privates.. mini-vans.. these are the folks.. you need to watch out for shotty/snotty service.. Pick the company well. :o

Each to their own "hobby" I suppose, but if you want to see some really good wrecks, go visit the Taj Mahal and take the Delhi to Agra bus. And wear some thick - absorbent - underpants :D

:o

About 25 years ago, when I was much younger and somewhat stupider, I took a bus trip with my then TG down to Phuket from Bangkok by bus. I remember waking up on the bus (night bus) amd seeing our bus side by side with another bus. Apparently the buses were racing each other. The driver, the girl who collected the tickets, and the guy who handled the luggage were all up at the front of the bus, yelling in Thai at the crew from the other bus and laughing. This was on a winding road going through the mountains. Both buses were swerving around like crazy. What could I do? Well, there was nothing I could do, so I closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep. :D

Guess it wasn't my time to die. :D

i don't like to drive out of chaingmai. if you don't drive too fast i think you can survive with some luck. i am more afraid of hitting someone by accident, people seem to come out of nowhere on the road here. i rode a harley four 3 years and got rid of it a few months ago. i just felt it was no fun riding a bike in chaingmai anymore. i hate to drive here in chaingmai. it has gotten nuts. the major construction going on has made all people nuts here, thai and farang. i drive the bottom of the line toyota tiger and have fitted it with road warrior type fendors, role bars etc.. if i wanted. i could buy a new mercedes, but i hate driving so much here that i think a good car is a waste of money.

i don't know what it is about thai people, but when you meet them out of a car they are the sweetest people in the world. put them behind the wheel and they turn into risk taking maniacs. i have to fight with myself all the time to just take it easy when i drive. i have a fantasy of driving one of those monster cars with the big wheels and driving over cars that are parked in a way that they cause traffic problems.

i don't care for the new breed of backpackers all that much. when i was a backpacker in the sixties it was a totally different thing. the new backpackers seem arrogant and cheap to me. they are much less open than we were. but i will say i am sorry to here about the backpackers hurt in the accident. i am happy that it seems they will all survive.

Been here in LOS for 18 years, been on a bus once only, 18 years ago. I would rather WALK from BKK to anywhere, than take a Thai bus.

I want as much metal as possible around me when on the Thai roads. What is the alternative? Minibus? private car? If you move around the country, it is either the train when possible or get on the bus. I prefer the gov't bus system to the private ones that serve the tourists. I had better experiences on them than the tourist buses. Anyway you go, it is a crap shoot. Sit as far back as possible and try to sleep. That way you won't see what idiot decisions your driver is making. :o

The extraordinary thing is the small number of real accidents compared to near misses, especially in Bangkok where space is at a premium. As mentioned, in the provinces buses and trucks just bully everyone else onto the hard shoulder but in Bangkok buses are missing motorbikes, vendors and their carts, pedestrians by a hairsbreadth 24 hours a day. Traffic pulls out of sois, crosses the road and turns right against the oncoming traffic, there should be constant multiple pile-ups and there aren't . It seems the Thais have developed their own subconscious set of rules about what is permissible, ie anything!

bannork.