Stupid (i Know) But Serious Question

Tigs

OK

Before all you jokesters shoot me down in flames, this is a serious question !

A question to those of you that have lived here for some time and/or have a good knowledge of the Thai language and culture.

Does Thailand have the equivalent of the UK, Consumer Credit Act, in particular with reference to credit card company's? There are many major credit card companies here in Thailand including many International ones. For example HSBC or AMEX have to operate to incredibly strict guidelines by law in the UK. Although many people are unaware of the credit laws, they are put in place in the small print to protect the consumer. There is in Thailand amongst it's citizens the acceptance that the banks rule all, and if you have problems with the card companies or banks you have no protection in law and the banks can just confiscate property etc (if they are owed money with defaulted payments) with no recourse to legal action and certainly no rights for the consumer.

I am sure out of every 10 'flaming' responses of the 'don't be so stupid this is Thailand' type there must be a few people with knowledge.

Thanks

Tigs

Edited by Tigs