Multiple Thai Marriages

ETC

Have heard several different answers, and would like to know if a Thai national can be legally married to more then one person at a time in Thailand. Some say yes and some say no. Which is it? :o

A legal marriage is done at the amphur ( city Hall/townhall) and can only be done once, until there is a divorce.

Than one year from the date of divorce marriage is not possible.

The Buddhist ceremony can be done without `divorcing`, thus can be repeated as many times as you wish......

Thank you Siam4ever. Let's say wife #2 goes to another country and wants to be married. Is she considered to be already married if her marriage is registered at the local Amphur, or is her Thai marriage illegal by Thai standards even if wife #1 does not sue her?

A legal marriage is done at the amphur ( city Hall/townhall) and can only be done once, until there is a divorce.

Than one year from the date of divorce marriage is not possible.

The Buddhist ceremony can be done without `divorcing`, thus can be repeated as many times as you wish......

Then we can assume that the Budhist ceremony has no legal presidence?

Yes, it is safe to assume that.

Legally speaking one can just walk away from a " marriage" like that.

Thanks Carib. That covers the Budhist marriage, but what about this:

"Let's say wife #2 goes to another country and wants to be married. Is she considered to be already married if her marriage is registered at the local Amphur, or is her Thai marriage illegal by Thai standards even if wife #1 does not sue her?" :o

Whenever, or wherever you get married, one will always have to proof that one is single or divorced. That can only be done by getting a statement at the Amphur.

No exceptions to this rule that I have heard of.

Thanks Carib. That is what I thought too. Just wanted to hear it from someone else before I passed on the information. :o

to straighen it out:

many thai get married with only the village ceremony/ in the eyes of the town, and themselves, they are married. however, if they are married in the amphur register, then they are LEGALLY married if they intend to get married somewhere else in the world.

however, i know of many thai who have married in the amphur to have it declared they are married, whereas as far as the town is concerned, they arent really married, as majority of older village thai dont care about offical beuracracy. the case in point i know of is a friend who 'married' his sister in law in the amphur as he needed proof of having a wife to get a work visa in some country. he 'married' his brother's wife, his brother had only married his wife in a village ceremony.

i was a mia noi for many years to a thai worker here (israel), and was considered 'married' just by ceremony (string tying and all that jazz), even though he was married legally and in the village to a local girl. never mind all the m oral and other stuff, i'm just using that to point something out. i am now legally and locally married to a thai husband, past is past. my husband's parents hadnt a clue as to why we have to go to the amphur to registar, never mind that my home country doesnt recognize jew/non jew marriages w/o lots of hoops to jump thru.

btw, many thai here 'marry' filipinas in the same way; since filipinas arent legally able to divorce in home country. as far as the thai male is concerned, as long as he has done the ceremony with her, they are married (until visa problems occur).

in order for u to get married legally most countries request a document certified proving that u are divorced/single/widow/er.

bina

israel

Sort of on topic...

If a foreigner wants to marry a Thai, and they march down to the local amphur to do so, how do the amphur clerks know if the foreigner is single or is married back in his or her home country (or a third country, for that matter.)

I was at a party once, and the converstation drifted to the need to have some sort of proof from the foreign spouse-to-be's embassy, but as a US citizen, I don't even know if there is such a document available.

THis is thailand ,

you have 5 option

MEA - ( WIFE )

CHOO ( Sexual Mate - while you are married )

Gig ( little GF while you have GF or Wife )

Mea Noi ( Little Wife or the so called extra Wife )

Noi Sao ( whahhah excuse for Another Gf - which you call sister )

good luck .

For Extra Info here is 5 Ways Thai Girls deal with - Their BF or Hubby when there find out

1 - person staying in high floor - a rope is tie on their Dicky and then attached to the window and then you are push out

2 - Rat poison - the effect will start with you staring at the light or bright object - mild dose might take weeks

3 - She will cheat twice as much as you

4 - You might get One bullet across your head while you sleep .

5 - she will find a AIDS chick for you . and then disappear

-

GOOD Luck .

keep it real :o