Wheel Screeching And Engine Revving Aaaargh

blondiewonder

hi

can somone tell me what all the wheel screeching and engine revving is all about on huay kaew 24 hour garage in the early hours. it is usully on a weekend. is it the local boy racers? does the gargage condone this behavior as they seem to not mind that it goes on on their forecourt? can the police do anything? is anyone else havin sleepless nights on the weekend in particular? aaaaaaaaargh

regards emma

can somone tell me what all the wheel screeching and engine revving is all about on huay kaew 24 hour garage in the early hours.

They’re probably gearing up for the Sunday races. Just off Nimmanhaemin Road in the car park which caters for of all those music bars and clubs, they often have racing events all day on Sundays. Wheel screeching and engine revving goes on all day long from about 10:00 AM to dusk.

That aside, there are plenty of boy and girl racers on the road very late at night most nights, both in cars and motorcycles. I guess the thrill is having these roads all to themselves in the small hours of morning, where they can clock up breakneck speeds on any straight.

Cheers

Aitch

Yup, we live in that area and I'm really glad I sleep with earplugs. It's definitely worse on the weekends. The dog barking is bad, too, seven days a week. The dogs seem to be quiet in the evening and early hours(resting up, I guess), but starting around 4 am, they really get some loud bark-a-thons going. We're on the 15th floor and I thought that distance would mute the noise, but it seems as noisy as if we were near ground-level.

Is the OP related in any way to PeaceBlondie? I wonder.

no, no relation. maybe we should join forces to make a blonde army?

I'm convinced blondies would make good soldiers.

yes someone asked me the other day if i was gonna be a super hero what special power would i have and i said the swirly hypnotic eyes like the snake in jungle book. can you magine an army of blondes with this special power? 

I've always suspected that those who like to make big noise on big bikes are compensating for being small down ... well ... down there!

Huey Kaew Road can be a particular problem. If enough people call the police often enough at Pu Ping station, which is located near the university on Huay Kaew, or (if proximate to Central KSK/Hotel Lotus Pang Suan Kaew) call the sub-station actually located in the hotel complex, they could be helpful in cooling things down by just being present, especially when the disco "Fashion" closes. The sub-station is actually located between the entrance of the disco and where the bikes park!

I am temporarily renting a serviced apartment just off HueyKaew and am astounded too at the racing, screeching of tires etc late nights-early mornings, every weekend. Sleeping is a non-starter. Closing the balcony door helps, but just.... I am expecting a horrendous accident given the apparent speeds these folks attain. The police in Thailand apparently work day shifts primarily. Interestingly it's not just this noise-pollution at night but white dust pollution all day. There is a thin film of white dust that settles on everything adjacent to this road. Within a few hours of the maid cleaning and dusting everything, the white dusting returns even with the doors closed: it must comprise a lot of the air we breathe. It may possibly be brake dust from the constant stop-and-go traffic. If so, it is potentially carcinogenic as brake pads tend to use asbestos. :o I shall be opting for a change of residence once my current contract ends.

The dog barking is bad, too, seven days a week. The dogs seem to be quiet in the evening and early hours(resting up, I guess), but starting around 4 am, they really get some loud bark-a-thons going. We're on the 15th floor and I thought that distance would mute the noise, but it seems as noisy as if we were near ground-level.

For some reason, the dogs have gone mad this past 6 weeks or so. Everywhere i've lived in Thailand, i've come to accept a bit of dog barking as the norm, but this recent performance from the Chiang Mai mutts has taken it to a whole new level. It's barks, howling, and whining, all jumbled up, and it seems that every dog for miles around joins in. There must be a reason for it, as in my 6 years here, i've never heard a racket quite like this :o

Those memory foam ear plugs cut out noise really good. Too good in fact! If someone runs up and down the corridor yelling and screaming FIRE, FIRE, FIRE, I would just roast in the bed as i'd not hear a thing. Therefore, i dare not wear the buggers!

Aitch

Race tracks have been setup for this weekend, and I noticed loads of boy racer cars all lined up at the fuels station this evening too. Looks like another wheel screeching weekend is about to commence!

If there’s one thing to say about the Thais, that is they certainly know how to enjoy themselves. I’ve been in CM for 3 years now, and there’s always something going on somewhere. Regarding the ‘noise’, better known as ‘noise pollution’ to westerners, is part and parcel of living here, so best just go with the flow.

Aitch

I'm afraid that if I go to the Phu Ping Police Station to complain about the noise, I might end up in jail like that poor innocent young British chap who temporarily misplaced his valuables at his guesthouse!

If making complaints about noise would work, then people would rarely have to wop up the volume of their TV in order to watch it of an evening, or plug their ears in order to sleep at night. There are a couple of foreigners at my condo building who are beside themselves with the noise to the point that they talk about little else. The Thais, on the other hand, make no comment and just accept it as part of city living. Heck, one or 2 of them may even be contributors!

Ok, so there are a few quiet pockets in some sois and sub sois, but let’s face it, Thailand is a noisy place. They (along with their Roosters and Street Hounds), are always making a racket about something, whether it’s via a megaphone on the top of a songtaew, a funeral procession, street racing, open bar karaoke, year round fireworks, ad infinitum..

Making excessive noise is a way of life here, and certainly not unique to Chiang Mai. It may be a little irritating at times, but for the best part, there are but 2 choices, embrace it and go with the flow, or sod off in pursuit of quieter pastures, be that nationally, or cross border.

TIP: Before moving into a new building and neighbourhood, visit the place 2 or 3 times. During the day, at rush hour, and at night.

Aitch