Hope For Farangs Living In Thailand

Chiangmai Cheers

"Abhisit, 44, who is also known as Mark, was born in Newcastle to Thai parents and attended Eton and Oxford University before becoming Thailand's premier" according to The Nation newspaper.

Let's hope that this will make things a little bit easier for foreigners living in Thailand. He obviously didn't get his degree at the university of Khao San Road.

"Abhisit, 44, who is also known as Mark, was born in Newcastle to Thai parents and attended Eton and Oxford University before becoming Thailand's premier" according to The Nation newspaper.

Let's hope that this will make things a little bit easier for foreigners living in Thailand. He obviously didn't get his degree at the university of Khao San Road.

Living in Chiangmai mate, I wouldnt walk around the city shouting this.

what do you mean hope???

do you assume that we have little hope at the moment

this post is crazy

Oh, geez! Did you even read the OP's post?

Let's hope that this will make things a little bit easier for foreigners living in Thailand.

Clear enough. Not crazy. However, I doubt this is anywhere near the top of his priorities so I would keep any hopes in check.

Sure he's better educated than most foreigners living here. However for making life easier we might be better off with a Newcastle educated bricklayer.

Thank you Patklang for your normal useful contribution.

For too long Thailand’s political leaders have been motivated by self interest, greed and lust for power. The new PM, Abhisit, who was educated at Eton and Oxford, has obviously spent a fair portion of his 44 years living outside of Thailand. This should give him a wider view of the world.

For the past couple of years, there has not been much for Thais or Farangs to be hopeful about. There has been one crisis after another. Let’s all hope that Khun Abhisit gets the time and the backing to get Thailand back in order. I, for one, am happy to see an educated man, who appears to have no hidden agenda, leading the country, and, hopefully, giving my young daughter a future to look forward to.

Just hope first, for the save of this country, that he will make make it much easier for his own People .

Thank you Patklang for your normal useful contribution.

For too long Thailand's political leaders have been motivated by self interest, greed and lust for power. The new PM, Abhisit, who was educated at Eton and Oxford, has obviously spent a fair portion of his 44 years living outside of Thailand. This should give him a wider view of the world.

For the past couple of years, there has not been much for Thais or Farangs to be hopeful about. There has been one crisis after another. Let's all hope that Khun Abhisit gets the time and the backing to get Thailand back in order. I, for one, am happy to see an educated man, who appears to have no hidden agenda, leading the country, and, hopefully, giving my young daughter a future to look forward to.

Hmm, the fact that you actually believe all this would suggest you not only read The Nation but have a long term subscription. Do yourself a favor and broaden your reading. We all of course wish him to be successful, but many are not buying that PR spin.

Sure he's better educated than most foreigners living here. However for making life easier we might be better off with a Newcastle educated bricklayer.

Sounds like a little back-handed swipe at the educational standards of foreigners living in thailand , sure to see a few on their high horse about your contention , and quite rightly too . Ever conversed with a Newcastle bricky ?

Sounds like a little back-handed swipe at the educational standards of foreigners living in thailand , sure to see a few on their high horse about your contention , and quite rightly too . Ever conversed with a Newcastle bricky ?

One of my mates’s a bricky or used to be. Not from Newcastle though but Scunthorpe. We usually get along fine after a couple of pints :o

Greed is part of human nature and education doesn't affect it much. What education does usually mean, however, is that people can delay gratification. (Of course education also means knowledge of things as well).

He may be educated, but still a Thai, once a thai always a thai; that means we will always come last.

what do you mean hope???

this post is crazy

Refrence, I think, is made to immigration policies. A comparison to immigration policies for Thais travelling to the west and vice versa.

It is tough for a Thai to gain a settlement visa to most western countries. But once they are in country, after a couple of years it is easy to stay without having to report to immigration every three months or whatever.

A very worn subject on this forum, but the idea is that the current PM, having benifited from a western upbringing, might be more open to outside western investment and a loosing on immigration restrictions for farangs staying here.

Can't see it happening myself.

He has a lot more to worry about than trying to win over a small minority of Farang non voters, with the risk of loosing support of the Nationalistic majority Thai voters.

Let’s all hope that Khun Abhisit gets the time and the backing to get Thailand back in order. I, for one, am happy to see an educated man, who appears to have no hidden agenda, leading the country, and, hopefully, giving my young daughter a future to look forward to.

If it was that obvious, it wouldn't be a hidden agenda would it? :o

So what is so difficult for foreigners in Thailand?

Understanding a Thai PM.

Hopefully he will speak in English at more interviews with the worlds press, and even in Parliament. It might make the other MPs consider learning English and becoming part of the 21st century.

:o Yeah, OK, cut that last bit about the MPs learning English.

Understanding a Thai PM.

Hopefully he will speak in English at more interviews with the worlds press, and even in Parliament. It might make the other MPs consider learning English and becoming part of the 21st century.

:o Yeah, OK, cut that last bit about the MPs learning English.

Yeah , i was about to say you were joking until i scrolled down , the day they just 'May' become part of this century is when they lose the trait that Thai already know all , learning English would not help , they just seem to ignore the 'I understand ' part of conversation .

You must NEVER forget , Thailand is nor will be THE HUB of everything , they still do not get the fact that Thailand and Thai NEED THE WEST , NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND , THEY KNOW LITTLE AND GIVE LESS TO THE WORLD . America even grows its own rice of superior quality and actualy exports its excess , and so , what was that you were saying , mai fcuing pay when ?

what do you mean hope???

this post is crazy

Oh, geez! Did you even read the OP's post?

Let's hope that this will make things a little bit easier for foreigners living in Thailand.

Clear enough. Not crazy. However, I doubt this is anywhere near the top of his priorities so I would keep any hopes in check.

Oh, geez! Did you even read the respondents question?

I ,also, would like to hear the OP and/or you answer Patklang's question. Give some details of how you are 'hopeless' and what measures would save you. It's only "clear enough" if you assume everyone knows the travesties and injustices inflicted on foreigners who want a 'dream' life in Thailand.

Ther are many posts that I can only describe as whining by losers. Please differentiate yourself from those that want a 'first class' experience that can only be sustained by '3 class service people'.

What 'problems' can he fix in the 6 months he will hold power?

nothing is difficult, everything is business as usual, and always has been, for those foriegners i know with Non-B + WP, Non-O + marriage or retirement extension, Immigrant visa holders(Permanent residency).

it is probably difficult for those who use tourist permits as their means of "residency" because they dont/cant/wont satisfy the many other legal long term stay categorys.

Last night I heard Thailand's newly elected Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva [Mark] speak and was very impressed with his English and worldliness. let's hope that his worldliness will benefit us....or at least with his excellent English skills, we'll understand him.