Lets Put This To The Vote.

Jockstar

When do you celebrate?  

51 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok. This has been argued and talked about on another thread. When do you celebrate Xmas? The 24th the night before Xmas or the 25th Xmas day. Some people have said that they have Xmas dinner and exchange presents with family and friends on the 24th. The rest if us have said on the 25th Xmas day. What is your usual date? Please leave your thoughts on this and also the country you are from. I know the French and Scans go for the 24th but what about the rest of you?

Ok. This has been argued and talked about on another thread. When do you celebrate Xmas? The 24th the night before Xmas or the 25th Xmas day. Some people have said that they have Xmas dinner and exchange presents with family and friends on the 24th. The rest if us have said on the 25th Xmas day. What is your usual date? Please leave your thoughts on this and also the country you are from. I know the French and Scans go for the 24th but what about the rest of you?

We have xmas dinner on the 24th, and open presents on the morning of the 25th. How would you like me to vote??

Edited by wimpy

I agree that Christmas is primairily for the kids, however some adults like it to (myself included).

As I used to work in an extremely stressfull office environment in the UK it was a pleasure to see people behaving in a friendly and curteous manner over the festive period. Personallly that is the way they should have behaved all year round but as soon as the Christmas period was over they returned to their usual behaviour.

As for Christmas day itself...

When I was a child we used to open some of the presents in the morning (those given by Santa) That kept us occupied whilst mum was preparing dinner and when we had eaten and cleared up the dinner plates the family sat down to open the presents that were previously placed around the tree.

Looking back now, it was a good idea. It gave my mother time to enjoy opening the presents with the family instead of rushing it because she had to get dinner ready for us all.

It also gave us kids something else to look forward to in the afternoon-more presents!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL.........Leprechaun.

Most of the countries in Northern Europe celebrate Christmas 24. December with dinner and later in the evening will Santa Claus come with presents?

The Bible say that Jesus is born around September- October so why we celebrate 24/25. December is unknown.

But guess it have more to do with the season. I.e. celebrate after a long hard autumn with hard work and less enjoyment, and then

Daylight slowly turn and the days get longer and people can look forward to the spring and an easier life situation.

In fact a Persian/Roman God who are born on 25. December!

The Bible say that Jesus is born around September- October so why we celebrate 24/25. December is unknown.

How We Came to Celebrate on December 25th

Another question is always asked, "Why December 25th? We know Jesus was probably born sometime between April and November. - after all the scripture says that shepherds were watching their flocks in the fields?" Recently, I was seated at a table with hosts of a major television program. The question of the date of Christ's birth arose and I was told in no uncertain terms that Jesus was born on the 15th of Tishri (Sept/Oct) which is the feast of Tabernacles, or Hebrew "cukkah", (pronounced 'sook-kaw'). Although this is a real possibility -- I must tell you after hours of searching Matthew Henry, Halley's Bible Dictionary, Compton's Encyclopedia, The American Book of Days, the 12 Volume Interpreter's Bible, Holman's Bible Dictionary, Revell Bible Dictionary and volumes on Christian Sites on the World Wide Web, all definitely state, "we do not know when Jesus was born, or even what year." (Although he had to be born sometime between 4 and 8 BC due to Herod's reign and death which is known from archaeological records.) While it is accepted that Jesus was born in the small town of Bethlehem a few miles south of Jerusalem, there is no certain information on the date of his birth, not even of the year (see Jesus Christ). One reason for this uncertainty is that the stories of his birth, recorded in the New Testament books of Matthew and Luke, were written several decades after the event. And for several centuries the Christian church itself paid little attention to the celebration of Jesus' birth. The major Christian festival was Easter, the day of his resurrection. Only gradually, as the church developed a calendar to commemorate the major events of the life of Christ, did it celebrate his birth.น

Till about the year 250-300 there was little celebration of Christ's birth, other than a solemn memory. His death and resurrection were all important to new Christianity. As the church spread around the world, it encountered the Roman/European festival of the Winter Solstice. This was a day of great festivity in the pagan world. Because there was no knowledge about the date of Jesus' birth, a day had to be selected. The Eastern Orthodox and the Eastern Rite churches within the Roman Catholic church chose January 6. The day was named Epiphany, meaning "appearance," the day of Christ's manifestation. The Western church, based at Rome, chose December 25. It is known from a notice in an ancient Roman almanac that Christmas was celebrated on December 25 in Rome as early as AD 336.1 In about 547 A.D. St. Augustine was sent by Pope Gregory the Great as the first official missionary to England. He followed an edict from the Pope, "If the religious customs of the people are not evil in origin, they should be blended into Christianity." (This is scriptural read Acts 15:19-20). The early church had a real problem with this all important festival of the SUN God. The church in the Holy Land had begun to observe January 6th at the birth of our Lord. The Austrian church observed May 20th. Still other parts of the church observed March 25th.

In 625 A.D. central leaders of the church decided since people were going to celebrate the re-birth of the SUN on December 25th -- the church would really celebrate -- the most important birth, the birth of the SON of God. It took a little time but Christianity prevailed. Although two customs, the Yule long, and kissing under the mistletoe still remain from the pagan days, most every other custom we have today comes from Christ's birthday.

Merry Christmas All!!!

Explorer :o

How We Came to Celebrate on December 25th

Another question is always asked, "Why December 25th? We know Jesus was probably born sometime between April and November. - after all the scripture says that shepherds were watching their flocks in the fields?" Recently, I was seated at a table with hosts of a major television program. The question of the date of Christ's birth arose and I was told in no uncertain terms that Jesus was born on the 15th of Tishri (Sept/Oct) which is the feast of Tabernacles, or Hebrew "cukkah", (pronounced 'sook-kaw'). Although this is a real possibility -- I must tell you after hours of searching Matthew Henry, Halley's Bible Dictionary, Compton's Encyclopedia, The American Book of Days, the 12 Volume Interpreter's Bible, Holman's Bible Dictionary, Revell Bible Dictionary and volumes on Christian Sites on the World Wide Web, all definitely state, "we do not know when Jesus was born, or even what year." (Although he had to be born sometime between 4 and 8 BC due to Herod's reign and death which is known from archaeological records.) While it is accepted that Jesus was born in the small town of Bethlehem a few miles south of Jerusalem, there is no certain information on the date of his birth, not even of the year (see Jesus Christ). One reason for this uncertainty is that the stories of his birth, recorded in the New Testament books of Matthew and Luke, were written several decades after the event. And for several centuries the Christian church itself paid little attention to the celebration of Jesus' birth. The major Christian festival was Easter, the day of his resurrection. Only gradually, as the church developed a calendar to commemorate the major events of the life of Christ, did it celebrate his birth.น

Till about the year 250-300 there was little celebration of Christ's birth, other than a solemn memory. His death and resurrection were all important to new Christianity. As the church spread around the world, it encountered the Roman/European festival of the Winter Solstice. This was a day of great festivity in the pagan world. Because there was no knowledge about the date of Jesus' birth, a day had to be selected. The Eastern Orthodox and the Eastern Rite churches within the Roman Catholic church chose January 6. The day was named Epiphany, meaning "appearance," the day of Christ's manifestation. The Western church, based at Rome, chose December 25. It is known from a notice in an ancient Roman almanac that Christmas was celebrated on December 25 in Rome as early as AD 336.1 In about 547 A.D. St. Augustine was sent by Pope Gregory the Great as the first official missionary to England. He followed an edict from the Pope, "If the religious customs of the people are not evil in origin, they should be blended into Christianity." (This is scriptural read Acts 15:19-20). The early church had a real problem with this all important festival of the SUN God. The church in the Holy Land had begun to observe January 6th at the birth of our Lord. The Austrian church observed May 20th. Still other parts of the church observed March 25th.

In 625 A.D. central leaders of the church decided since people were going to celebrate the re-birth of the SUN on December 25th -- the church would really celebrate -- the most important birth, the birth of the SON of God. It took a little time but Christianity prevailed. Although two customs, the Yule long, and kissing under the mistletoe still remain from the pagan days, most every other custom we have today comes from Christ's birthday.

Merry Christmas All!!!

Explorer :o

Well thanks for that Explorer. Never knew some off that. Very informative.

Merry Xmas and a great New Year to veryone.

I see that the 25th is winning this vote.

I dont.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Lets Put This To The Vote., Xmas dinner and pressies. 24th or 25th?

When do you celebrate?

24th Xmas Eve [ 3 ] ** [13.64%]

25th Xmas Day [ 19 ] ** [86.36%]

Total Votes: 22

You do now! :o:D:D

25th for sure...

Celebrating Christmas on the 24th is a German tradition...

nuff said.

The same as in the Polish Tradition 24th evening . :D

Plus this and as last year Christmas Luncheon on the 25th by my house. :D

Have a good one, one and all. :o

Happy Days, :D

Yours as always :D

Kan Win :D

Hi Jock Super Star, :o

Re your Avatar:- :D

Me think, Halloween was on 31st October each and every year, so my questions is, "why do you still keep your mask on…………" :D

This is Christmas week, me think. :D

Please check out other members Avatars. :D

Just my tinking… :D

Merry Christmas on 24th and 25th December 2004, which ever pleases you. :D

Kan Win :D

How can it be Christmas dinner, on Christmas eve??

Afternoon on Christmas Day is the right time.

The odd thing is the differences between meal times in the norf and sarf of England. In the norf, the midday meal is generally referred to as dinner, and the evening meal, tea. In the sarf, the midday meal is lunch and the evening meal is dinner.

:o

I thought it was 25 december to conincide with the keltic festival of the mid winter solstice (or something). This is also where the christmas tree is from.

The didn't have pines in palestina 2005 years ago :o