New Foreign Minister Hailed Airport Closures

Gravelrash

The Democrat-led government is under criticism from its members over its plan to appoint former career diplomat Kasit Piromya as foreign minister because of his support for the actions of the PAD.

Given his close affiliation with the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the former diplomat could be more of a liability than an asset, the source said.

The source said the Democrats would be compelled to answer questions about Mr Kasit's role in the PAD street protests.

...Mr Kasit appeared as a regular guest speaker at PAD rallies which demanded the removal of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

More worrying for some Democrats was his recent speech about the PAD's takeover of Suvarnabhumi airport.

Mr Kasit hailed the shutdown of the capital's city's international airport, which left over 200,000 passengers stranded, as a "new innovation for public protests".

Bangkok Post

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a nice gesture to ambassadors who 2 weeks ago meet with the foreign ministry to protest about closure of airports, poor security of aviation because of the political fighting - they won't have a choice but to advice their governments to declare thailand not advisable to travel

Democrats were behind PAD from beginning. If someone does not believe in this, then they live in complete ignorance. :D

PAD is enemy of Thaksin and so do the democrats, therefore it is very obvious who funded/supported PAD. Ever heard of enemy of enemy is friend? :o

Now they are in power, they will reward everyone who brought down the previous government.

I have predicted earlier that PAD guys are criminals and they were proven to be as such. Now I predict that Thailand will suffer under democrats like it did in 1997. Only time will prove me right (or possibly wrong). :D

I didn't see this posted anywhere else, but found it interesting.

Kasit under fire as foreign minister

Democrats unhappy about his PAD links

The Democrat-led government is under criticism from its members over its plan to appoint former career diplomat Kasit Piromya as foreign minister.

Democrat MPs have raised concern about Mr Kasit's suitability to serve in the Abhisit cabinet, a senior party source said.

Given his close affiliation with the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), the former diplomat could be more of a liability than an asset, the source said.

The source said the Democrats would be compelled to answer questions about Mr Kasit's role in the PAD street protests.

Despite opposition within the party, Democrat leader and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva favours Mr Kasit. He told party members he needed a foreign minister who could start work immediately he takes office.

Mr Kasit appeared as a regular guest speaker at PAD rallies which demanded the removal of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

More worrying for some Democrats was his recent speech about the PAD's takeover of Suvarnabhumi airport.

Mr Kasit hailed the shutdown of the capital's city's international airport, which left over 200,000 passengers stranded, as a "new innovation for public protests".

<snip>

Source: http://www.bangkokpost.com/191208_News/19Dec2008_news01.php

:o

Edited by soundman
Please do not quote entire article from Bkk post. It infringes copyright.

Compared to Thaksin, the guy's a saint.

Amnesty International special report on Thaksin's drug wars, 2003:

Prime Minister Thaksin appeared to condone such killings in various public statements made during the three-month campaign. For example on 25 March he was quoted as saying, 'There are two places for drugs traffickers: in prison or in the temple,' in reference to the Buddhist practice of cremating their dead in temples.

The police stated that by 15 April 2,245 people had been killed in the campaign.

Prime Minister Thaksin appeared to condone such killings in various public statements made during the three-month campaign. For example on 25 March he was quoted as saying, 'There are two places for drugs traffickers: in prison or in the temple,' in reference to the Buddhist practice of cremating their dead in temples.

The police stated that by 15 April 2,245 people had been killed in the campaign.

Where do you think drug traffickers belong if not in prison or the temples, such as Wat Tham Krabok?

it's not about history, but the present politics.

more appropriate in this discussion:

Asian Human Rights Commission, November 2008

http://www.ahrchk.net/statements/mainfile....tatements/1779/

"The alliance has exhibited a number of features that from past lessons of Thailand and other countries around the world pose grave dangers to the future of the country's imperilled democracy. Of these, the following can be said.

1. They spring from a far-right ideology that has for decades driven successive military-bureaucratic administrations in Thailand, which dramatic changes to political and social life of the last two decades have increasingly threatened.

2. Their coordinated attacks and actions on the pretext of self-defence and national interest are designed to cause a widespread feeling of insecurity and uncertainty and allow reactionary elite forces to push Thailand back to a 1980s model of "half-sail" semi-elected government.

3. The alliance leaders have occupied the public space and forced people throughout Thailand to either take sides for or against them, or to opt out completely, thus alienating millions of people and denying them the opportunity to have a say on the key political and social questions of their time."

So...regardless of who the Democrats hand out the rewards to, this is your answer? "Compared to Thaksin, the guy's a saint." You don't find this an intellectually challenged argument? Two wrongs equal a right then? Let's see how long you will be able to keep this up as time goes by.

sabaijai also claims that taking over the airport was like, "The Boston Teaparty".

I just don't get this hatred of Thaksin to the point that anything is OK as long as it damages him.

As far as I can tell, this is what all the pro-PAD farangs have in common. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

I'm sure Abhisit has only his best ...I mean, Thailand's best interests in mind during his time in office (and so did Thaksin), but choosing a PAD speaker that helped ruin Thailand's tourism and import/export to become his foreign minister seems a bit ...I don't know what to call it. It's hilariously sad.

On the other hand, Abhisit said yesterday that he supports legal action against PAD and its supporters for the damages they have done to the country. Is he going to court with his own foreign minister?

It seems to me that Ahbisit is trying to slime his way through both sides, keeping them both as happy as possible to extend his time in office for as long as possible.

sabaijai also claims that taking over the airport was like, "The Boston Teaparty".

I just don't get this hatred of Thaksin to the point that anything is OK as long as it damages him.

As far as I can tell, this is what all the pro-PAD farangs have in common. :o

You are correct, the common thread in the pro-PAD posts here is a pathological hatred of Taksin. Would suggest there were/are plenty of worse leaders around. But that aside, this compulsive hate then blinds them (and in the darkness binds them) to the problems with those that opposed him. They can only rant on about Taksin corruption, but are incapable of providing an objective analysis of the underhanded deals that were engineered to remove him, and by extension those that engineered it.

It is a sad reflection of lack of any intellectual rigour. So many foreigners like to adopt an attitude of intellectual superiority deriding poor Thai eduction standards, yet are only capable to opine the same monotonous drudge that eminates from the Thai rank and file swallowing PAD propaganda.

Anyone see Abhisit interviews with BBC/CNN - talk about squirming and lying through his teeth when they brought up PAD/Military connections.

Of course he squirmed, this country has been controlled by the military since whenever, apart from a brief moment when someone managed to take control away from them, I won't defend Mr T, I think he is a complete self serving &lt;deleted&gt;, but a self serving &lt;deleted&gt; that broke the mold ..... now we are back into the same old same old voice box at the front and the Generals bringing up the rear.

How long does a developing country need to stay a developing country without winning some sort of award.

PAD=DEMS :o

Ain't it the truth! :D

No. Two groups thinking alike doesn't make them as one, but i can appreciate that for the purposes of taking swipes, it makes it easier for you to group your enemies as one.

The only thing that I have against the Democrats is that they support the PAD.

Anyone see Abhisit interviews with BBC/CNN - talk about squirming and lying through his teeth when they brought up PAD/Military connections.

Of course he squirmed, this country has been controlled by the military since whenever, apart from a brief moment when someone managed to take control away from them, I won't defend Mr T, I think he is a complete self serving &lt;deleted&gt;, but a self serving &lt;deleted&gt; that broke the mold ..... now we are back into the same old same old voice box at the front and the Generals bringing up the rear.

How long does a developing country need to stay a developing country without winning some sort of award.

Mr T broke the law, but he hardly broke the mould. Please explain. :o

Mr T broke the law, but he hardly broke the mould. Please explain. :o

While he was in office, he was in charge...... that mould, the one that now looks as if it has been glued back together.

Edited by Thaddeus

Waiting for the pro-PAD supporters on this forum to start posting their defense for this guy. :o

They probably can't get a word in for all the Thaksin lovers and anti PAD supporters mouthing-off and anyway why should they (PAD) be bothered - the democrates are in the chair and if they overstep the line I'm sure PAD will certainly let them know.

^Don't need to, Dems are the PAD - pretty bloody obvious to everyone. :o

As already stated, it's only obvious to those of your mindset who dislike the Dems and the PAD in fairly equal measure, and find it convenient to lump them altogether, just because they share some beliefs.