ควันหลง

DavidHouston

"I was looking up the word "ควันหลง" in Lexitron and found the following:

'' ควันหลง [N] consequence; aftermath; aftereffect Syn. ผลพวง"

The following sentence is provided to illustrate the word:

"ควันหลงจากการอภิปรายไม่ไว้วางใจรัฐมนตรีเป็นรายบุคคลยังมีให้เห็นอย่างประปราย"

I am having difficulty understanding how to parse this sentence and thus to understand its meaning. One alternative would have this sentence mean,

"The aftermath of the debate of no-confidence in the individual Ministers is not very obvious." This is a long way to go from the literal wording and I wonder how far off base this interpretation is.

Some vocabulary items:

I am assuming that "รัฐมนตรีเป็นรายบุคคล" means "individual ministers", as distinguished from the Council of Minsters or Cabinet.

"ยังมีให้เห็น" - "can still be seen" and "อย่างประปราย" - scant, occasionally, sparsely, thinly

It is putting together these last phrases that is giving me difficulty. Thank; I appreciate your assistance.

Edited by DavidHouston

"I was looking up the word "ควันหลง" in Lexitron and found the following:

'' ควันหลง [N] consequence; aftermath; aftereffect Syn. ผลพวง"

The following sentence is provided to illustrate the word:

I am having difficulty understanding how to parse this sentence and thus to understand its meaning. One alternative would have this sentence mean,

"The aftermath of the debate of no-confidence in the individual Ministers is not very obvious." This is a long way to go from the literal wording and I wonder how far off base this interpretation is.

Some vocabulary items:

I am assuming that "รัฐมนตรีเป็นรายบุคคล" means "individual ministers", as distinguished from the Council of Minsters or Cabinet.

"ยังมีให้เห็น" - "can still be seen" and "อย่างประปราย" - scant, occasionally, sparsely, thinly

It is putting together these last phrases that is giving me difficulty. Thank; I appreciate your assistance.

I think that your translation is very close to the Thai isn't it. Maybe the same meaning as 'nothing much came of it'. ควันหลง น.ควันเหลือค้างอยู่ the literal meaning instead of 'aftermath' even works with still be seen อย่างประปราย scattered widely. Sort of smoke from the fire hanging around but not thick.

I'd say, it means "You can still see the consequence from the debate of no-confidence in the individual Ministers occasionally." or "The consequence from the debate of no-confidence in the individual Ministers still happen occasionally".

I'd say, it means "You can still see the consequence from the debate of no-confidence in the individual Ministers occasionally." or "The consequence from the debate of no-confidence in the individual Ministers still happen occasionally".

For simpletons like me, where you have a long compound noun like 'no-confidence in the individual ministers' (' ') is better used. I am not up on the news and find it difficult to imagine a debate on many individuals (multiple motions); must be a nightmare for the chairman. So when I first read it I thought that it was about the afteraffects upon individuals of the debate. I think it is more clear in Thai, but on the subject of punctuation is there a case for spaces to be used to the same affect as my English suggestion?