Fake Banknotes Flood Bangkok As Recession Grips

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well got a few of the 1K baht notes changed at the bank. Wife did it the lady lauhged at her asking if she was afraid. Guess she doen't read the news. Anyway the method the wife was told was watch the metal strip in the note.

They did not give her the number of 100's I asked for. Said she didn't have them what a crock.

My real concern was fule out in booneies, maybe they read the news maybe they don't. But safier to have the smaller notes and not be walking

If the bank receives any of these bad notes they really should be stamped immediately with a big, red

"VOID" and taken out of circulation? Simply giving them back to customers to be passed-on to the next

unsuspecting soul doesn't seem like a solution? Only taking advantage of the unaware?

On the thai news tonight the police had a little press conference and they showed a bad note

which had been stamped by the bank. " ปลอม "= "bplaum"a four letter thai word about 1cm high.

Another poster had said he was in the bank and witnessed them being returned (the fake notes).

I'm sure thais know this word means "fake" but the average farang doesn't and you have to

admit, banks often are stamping the notes with "paid" and people are writing on them etc.

Anywhere else besides the bank, i'd guess they're just being politely handed back to customer? :o

I have just one 1000 baht note in my possession and - yes - the water mark of His Majesty the King is clearly visible and the samll 1000 embedded in the silver strip is also present - BUT - the font typed in curved lines absolutely cannot be felt with the finger tip and the other two identifying features that should change colour when folded don't appear to do so OT it's difficult for me to distinguish whether they change colour or not when folded - AND the concealed number in the left hand corner is also not visible under a strong light -

Is this a fake note?

And if it is - do some of these fake notes have some of these identifying featues already embedded in them?

What percentage of Thai 1000 baht notes in circulation are fake?

0.0001% OR less

0.001%

0.01%

0.1%

OR worse

The Bank of Thailand promptly brushed aside the possibility, citing that it was unnecessary, given the low rate of forgery, 5-to-7 notes per million compared to 70-to-100 for the US dollar.

Nation.

They've apparently caught some of the counterfeiters already. There was a news segment and they had

been loading a large printing machine (seriously large) into a truck I think in Korat. Reams of the "paper"

used and various fluids/chemicals. Another group was caught with 40 bad notes in possession. I see now

even at the 7-11 they are using one of those special markers to draw a line on all large notes taken. :o

• 2 weeks later...
I bought cigarettes from the 7-11 with a 1000 baht note. They gave me back a 900 baht and a 30 baht note. Turns out the cigarettes were counterfeit. That's just taking the p-ss now surely...

A 30B note is definately taking the piss. :D

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :o