Wifi Security Is Dead

Veazer

All current forms of wifi security are now easily hacked, thanks to a program that uses the computing power of GPUs to brute force it's way through current security standards.

http://hothardware.com/News/Russian-Firm-U...Crack-WPA-WPA2/

"easily" is probably not the right word . Every security item is always been broken in the past so why should WPA or WPA2 be any different . As long as there are people making the effort to do so , then they will get into your computer ... count on it 100% . So use WPA or WPA2 as security password and a good firewall and do not have very dangerous items on your HDD as a safehold. Use a external divice such as USB sticks etc to store such info instead of your computer HDD . They can still get there but if they make effort 1 , they still have to make more efforts to get to relevant info about you and your bankaccounts or something like that .

if you have a wifi router at home, i still think you can protect yourself by not openly broadcasting and only allowing connections from pre-authorized IPs.

All current forms of wifi security are now easily hacked, thanks to a program that uses the computing power of GPUs to brute force it's way through current security standards.

"easily" is probably not the right word . Every security item is always been broken in the past so why should WPA or WPA2 be any different . As long as there are people making the effort to do so , then they will get into your computer ... count on it 100% . So use WPA or WPA2 as security password and a good firewall and do not have very dangerous items on your HDD as a safehold. Use a external divice such as USB sticks etc to store such info instead of your computer HDD . They can still get there but if they make effort 1 , they still have to make more efforts to get to relevant info about you and your bankaccounts or something like that .

sorry, but 'easily' is the word. anyone interested in doing so only needs to download the latest torrent of this app and within minutes they will have access to any wifi network. You don't understand the seriousness of this security hack.

I have good news for all of you,not everything is lost:

Spanish police busted commander chief of ETA -(Basque separatists) few month ago;they got his locked and encrypted laptop;commercial ,common variety softo had been used .Till today they cannot open the laptop.

have a good sleep.

I have good news for all of you,not everything is lost:

Spanish police busted commander chief of ETA -(Basque separatists) few month ago;they got his locked and encrypted laptop;commercial ,common variety softo had been used .Till today they cannot open the laptop.

have a good sleep.

There should be a sliding lock on the frontside of the laptop . If it is not a sliding thing , there is a which you need to press . Then your notebook will open . :o

If the CIA, NSA, FBI or another big, evil 3 letter organization has you on their top 10 most wanted lists, yeah, worry about your WiFi though you probably have bigger things to worry about.

If you are an average Joe, nevermind. If somebody gets onto my WiFi, so what. They can't get into my computer. It's OS X but even Windows can be locked down rather easily so nobody can get in.

In theory they could install some custom firmware on my router which screws with the DNS but overall that would amount to an extremely sophisticated attack that's just very unlikely.

At the end of the day its more likely that you get hit by a bus than that somebody hacks into your WiFi.

But you'd have to change it to a MAC address I authorised, and unless you hacked in my router (but then you could change or disable my encryption key) you cannot know which MAC addresses are authorised.

Of course you still need encryption and a good password for your router, but limiting the MAC addresses as well as not broadcasting your SSID are important security measures.

As was said, it's dead easy to sniff the MAC address and change it, so it's really only protecting you against random wifi leechers who don't know much about networking.

Edit: Ditto for the SSID.

Edited by surface