Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

Lets recap, ... a coupon for a free beer, ends up with you upsetting the entire establishment, probably hurting this guys business, certainly ruining everyone else's evening, dry.gif

Cobra: the only comments I will make is that it most certainly did not upset the customers in the establishment. I presume they (and the customers in the surrounding establishments) found it highly entertaining. Also, they are still in business (I am surprised) and being banned from there gave me the lovely opportunity to sample the other fish and chip providers in town (as I would have been a loyal regular customer if I had not been rudely abused). Obviously I didn't hurt their business, probably the contrary as it was free publicity. BTW: I did NOT misread the coupon as there was NO DATE printed on it (and most certainly nothing about Mondays only), nothing to misread. I have mellowed considerably since then, Simon's has the esteemed honor of being the ONLY business in the entire planet that has banned me, so no worries.

Now that I have corrected your falsehoods, may we please drop that subject and focus again on the topic of the thread, good places for F&C in Pattaya?

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried the one in Jomtiem numerous times,in fact it was jingthings story that lead me there.

At first i enjoyed the food and started going there everyday at lunch during my holdays but i found out i started to get a nauseous/heavy sickness feeling in my stomach about an hour after eating.

I thought this was only me but others told me the same,so i dont know if its the fat they use or what.

Secondly i found the waitress there,not the sweet one,but one they employed to be overly aggressive in asking for tips and she done this in front of the male cook owner who didnt seem to care, but what always sticks in my mind was she was telling me she wanted a lot of tip as she had a baby etc,and at the end of meal ,the owner watched and stuck his head out to see how much tip i gave.

After that i didnt go back and my last holiday in october i didnt go in when i walked past.

I am not British but I started to like Fish and Chips a lot since I moved to Pattaya. I even like mushy peas.

So where are the best spots you have found?

Here are some comments I have, but I would love more suggestions:

Pig and Whistle, I like it alot but it is 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not, by good I mean the fish and chips cooked nicely, more fish than batter, not too greasy, the tartar sauce is always lovely. I would settle for the Pig but am annoyed about how unpredictable they are.

Seaside -- cheap and you know why, good value but I can't get excited enough to go there anymore

Bert's Tropical, fish was nice when I went there, but no tartar sauce, a fault I can't live with

Simon's -- expensive, it was pretty good, but the owner has banned me (if you want the gory details, do a search, ha ha)

just tried the new recently open f n c shop on soi khao noi - verdict the best ive ever had outside blighty not cheap/not dear (APPROX 200-250B) choice of cod or local fish,beer batter proper chips, etc EXCELLENT.

"Buttsy's" up on Nakluea Rd (next to the Boncafe coffee shop) used to be excellent. Huge piece of fish and a heap of chips and extras as required. I used to eat there often, but I must haste to add that I haven't been there for a while now. It may have changed. It was a British run, open fronted place. No A/C.

Edited by sangfroid

just tried the new recently open f n c shop on soi khao noi - verdict the best ive ever had outside blighty not cheap/not dear (APPROX 200-250B) choice of cod or local fish,beer batter proper chips, etc EXCELLENT.

Beg to differ but they are bloody awful.............tried them just after they opened (since i live just up the road ) went in 3pm omly customer (so had every chance to get it right) ..........got the special at 175 baht ( john dory?)..........anyway chips were brown on the outside but not cooked on the inside...........batter was heavy and soggy on the fish and outweighed the fish by 3 to 1.

Worse thing is, i was really hoping it would be ok , as Patters could do with a decent chippie. :o

edit...typo's

Edited by thaiflyer1

Pig and Whistle used to be the best, the fish is still good, but they use the frozen french fries now, or did the last time I was there

I think their chips used to be different/better. Last time they were clearly frozen (in fact not properly cooked, still a little cold inside!). And their fish isn't always good, its inconsistent. Thats why I am looking for new places.

"Buttsy's"

With a name like "Buttsy's", its gotta be good ...

Edited by Jingthing

Jing. On a personal note I like Mickey Dee's french fries the best. A lot of the British ones are cut too big, oil not hot enough & they come out soggy.

Icelandic cod for me all the way. Beer batter all the way. & yeah I like Tartare sauce too. Had good fish in Scotland. Yum.

Old Dutch in BKK is sometimes OK.

Beg to differ but they are bloody awful.............tried them just after they opened (since i live just up the road ) went in 3pm omly customer (so had every chance to get it right) ..........got the special at 175 baht ( john dory?)..........anyway chips were brown on the outside but not cooked on the inside...........batter was heavy and soggy on the fish and outweighed the fish by 3 to 1.

Worse thing is, i was really hoping it would be ok , as Patters could do with a decent chippie. :o

edit...typo's

One of the big problems with sois like Khao Nio, Khao Talo etc. is that because they need every little bit of business they can muster they open all the time, even when there are no customers. Some food businesses need preparation time whilst others need a lead in time but have food which does not keep well for too long. A hard task to get right I admit. Then they have the problem of having most customers being cheap charlies or relative cheapos anyway. I know I lived there.

edit...typo's

One of the big problems with sois like Khao Nio, Khao Talo etc. is that because they need every little bit of business they can muster they open all the time, even when there are no customers. Some food businesses need preparation time whilst others need a lead in time but have food which does not keep well for too long. A hard task to get right I admit. Then they have the problem of having most customers being cheap charlies or relative cheapos anyway. I know I lived there.

I wouldn't call paying 175 baht for fish and chips being a cheap charlie , if i paid 99 baht for them or 400 baht i/d still expect them to be cooked correctly.

They were prepared fresh in front of me , and thats where the problem lay..........they wanted to give a fast service but in doing so had the oil too hot .

I might give them one more go, just too see if it was teething troubles.

I am not British but I started to like Fish and Chips a lot since I moved to Pattaya. I even like mushy peas.

Pig and Whistle, I like it alot but it is 50/50 sometimes good, sometimes not, by good I mean the fish and chips cooked nicely, more fish than batter, not too greasy, the tartar sauce is always lovely. I would settle for the Pig but am annoyed about how unpredictable they are.

Seaside -- cheap and you know why, good value but I can't get excited enough to go there anymore

Bert's Tropical, fish was nice when I went there, but no tartar sauce, a fault I can't live with

Simon's -- expensive, it was pretty good, but the owner has banned me (if you want the gory details, do a search, ha ha)

Where abouts on Soi Khao noi?? left, right coming from Sukhumvit how far up??

There used to be a great English Chippy on Soi Bukaew on the corner of Soi Chayapoon. It was right on the corner, they had all the stainless steel cooking range etc. and looked just like an English Chippy. That must be about 5 years ago and it only lasted 6 months maximum.

These days I make my own fish and chips the way I want to using an electric deep fat fryer with animal fat (lard) as opposed to horrible cooking oil. If you use a crinkle chip maker they taste even better. I buy frozen cod at Friendship just let it defrost properly first. Just make your own batter. Also choose your potatoes carefully: The best are the very big spuds they sell at the Wat market on Pattaya Tai.

The last place I had decent Fish & Chips in Pattaya was at Elephant & Castle on 2nd Road. But that was 2 years ago, so I need to revisit to check the quality.

There used to be a great English Chippy on Soi Bukaew on the corner of Soi Chayapoon. It was right on the corner, they had all the stainless steel cooking range etc. and looked just like an English Chippy. That must be about 5 years ago and it only lasted 6 months maximum.

These days I make my own fish and chips the way I want to using an electric deep fat fryer with animal fat (lard) as opposed to horrible cooking oil. If you use a crinkle chip maker they taste even better. I buy frozen cod at Friendship just let it defrost properly first. Just make your own batter. Also choose your potatoes carefully: The best are the very big spuds they sell at the Wat market on Pattaya Tai.

The last place I had decent Fish & Chips in Pattaya was at Elephant & Castle on 2nd Road. But that was 2 years ago, so I need to revisit to check the quality.

Where do you buy your lard?

Are they traditionally cooked in lard? To me, it would be a plus not to be cooked in lard.

It does sound awful but Lards boiling point is hotter and cooks chips far better, for an alternative roast or shallow fry them in olive oil and lots of sea salt which IMO makes them to perfection.

Edited by spiderman2

Coming from Sukhumvit.........go over the train tracks about another 1km (its just as you start to go up the hill past Noi's bar...... on the left .)

Coming from Sukhumvit.........go over the train tracks about another 1km (its just as you start to go up the hill past Noi's bar...... on the left .)

Cheers thaiflyer, will give it a try!

I just had lunch the other day at Simon's Fish & Chips, and was surprised to see that the large fish & chips with mushy peas is now B310 ... about nine US dollars(!). Quality was so-so: fish was fine, but not just the peas were mushy, the chips were as well.

I miss The Chippy that used to be around the corner inside Jomtien Complex by the Hideaway Bar.

Neeroys on Soi Chiapoon does an excellent english style fish & chips - 99bt... very nice.

I've had the fish and chips at Neeroys a couple of times and found the fish to be good but the batter is not crisp.

Must have been an off day for them

Neeroy's has nice crispy batter normally on their fish and they give you a pile of the batter scraps on the plate, along with the fries chips.

Two other places on Soi Chaiyapoon I would recommend for fish & chips:

-Canterbury Tales does a nice job.

-Seaside Two at the opposite end of the soi.

I just had lunch the other day at Simon's Fish & Chips, and was surprised to see that the large fish & chips with mushy peas is now B310 ... about nine US dollars(!). Quality was so-so: fish was fine, but not just the peas were mushy, the chips were as well.

I miss The Chippy that used to be around the corner inside Jomtien Complex by the Hideaway Bar.

That's a silly price for food in Pattaya IMO.

I can go out for a fish dinner here in the Midwest on a Friday night and get a salad, soup of the day, garlic bread and a huge plate of fish & chips for EIGHT DOLLARS! :D Good quality food all the way in a pleasant setting.

Considering wages, taxes, utility costs and overhead there is something wrong with that picture! :o

~WISteve

Neeroys on Soi Chiapoon does an excellent english style fish & chips - 99bt... very nice.

I've had the fish and chips at Neeroys a couple of times and found the fish to be good but the batter is not crisp.

Neeroy's has nice crispy batter normally on their fish and they give you a pile of the batter scraps on the plate, along with the fries chips.

I can go out for a fish dinner here in the Midwest on a Friday night and get a salad, soup of the day, garlic bread and a huge plate of fish & chips for EIGHT DOLLARS! :D Good quality food all the way in a pleasant setting.

Considering wages, taxes, utility costs and overhead there is something wrong with that picture! :o

~WISteve

Serious???!!! That's over 6 quid.

post-35874-1230901670_thumb.jpg

This is what it costs in Peterhead at a national award-winning chippie.

Someone is taking the mickey here.

I agree Neeroys used to be such great value and good portions but lately the portions are diminishing and not at all what they used to be.

With the downturn in tourism and the value of the Pound many people have started going there but if they keep on serving measly portions they will lose the good name they always had.

~WISteve

Spending money at McDonalds is against my religion, but yes I remember their fries are tasty, probably the beef tallow they fry them in.

I assume you are joking or you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

Not joking. I hate the big US burger chains and do not support them. They give the impression to the world that the pinnacle of American food culture is something off an assembly line.

Have they stopped cooking in beef tallow? Maybe they never did and that was an urban legend, in which case I would have been wrong. I think they use different oils/animal fats in different localities and countries in response to cost factors and local laws. Anyway, not my intention to morph this thread into one about McDonalds, back to the Fish & Chips!

Edited by Jingthing