Fish And Chips, Where Is The Good Stuff?

Jingthing

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a copy of the menu from The Jolly Friar, they have a very nice looking web site but no full menu or prices posted. Also it says they do delivery but don't give a radius or charge?

Thanks in advance

RabC

Edited to add:

I tried e-mailing the address on the web site but it just bounced back.

Edited by RabC

One post showing a complete menu has been removed from view, please note this is not allowed unless it s done by a sponsor or and advertiser

Just to make clear my last post....I thought 100 Baht for a small Dory and chips or 160 Baht for large is great value. ;)

One post showing a complete menu has been removed from view, please note this is not allowed unless it s done by a sponsor or and advertiser

I am guessing someone maybe posted the menu for Jolly Friar, maybe whoever did could PM it to me please.

Here is a fun question. Which, if any, of the local fish chipperies are using BEER BATTER for their fish crust batter? Does anyone know? I don't recall anyplace I go advertising that they do but that doesn't mean they don't. I kind of suspect Jolly Friar might based on the crust consistency, but I don't know.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=beer-batter-is-better

Here is a fun question. Which, if any, of the local fish chipperies are using BEER BATTER for their fish crust batter? Does anyone know? I don't recall anyplace I go advertising that they do but that doesn't mean they don't. I kind of suspect Jolly Friar might based on the crust consistency, but I don't know.

http://www.scientifi...atter-is-better

i seem to recall the Jolly Friar claiming exactly that

i will look next time to confirm and report back

i seem to recall the Jolly Friar claiming exactly that

i will look next time to confirm and report back

The only time that we ate (EFL students note, irregularist verb) flips & chips was at Goosies last Songkran. Very nice but the GF's imagination couldn't quite stretch from Snapper to Cod (same but not same but better)<_< She's also been brought up on McChips, so didn't like the 'tick ones.

Me? I'm eating McCain's extra thick cut, with skins, oven chips. Bordering on fritters & go very well with Iceland's 5 for £3 cod pieces, Aroi mak mak!

I'll definitely check out the Jolly Friar's 99B 'nosh box' next month. I think I'll introduce him to the...I've said too much.:ph34r:

On the Dark Side, The Rendezvous Restaurant at Mabprachan lake on Soi Siam CC has good fish 'n' chips 'n' mushy peas at 150 Baht.

sorry man, i can't agree with that comment nor much else on offer there

its seriously gone off since it first opened......

When was the last time you were there?

I went for the first and only time 2 weeks ago, 5 adults and 2 kids and we all had good meals including fish 'n' chips, cottage pie, English breakfast, chicken nuggets and a couple of Thai dishes.

We'll be back even though it's a bit out of the way for us to go.

On the Dark Side, The Rendezvous Restaurant at Mabprachan lake on Soi Siam CC has good fish 'n' chips 'n' mushy peas at 150 Baht.

I went for the first and only time 2 weeks ago, 5 adults and 2 kids and we all had good meals including fish 'n' chips, cottage pie, English breakfast, chicken nuggets and a couple of Thai dishes.

it was about a month ago, i can see it from my front door and drive past it almost every day

after my last two visits when both the Thai and farang food was just awful and the thai wife and i told them so, now we just continue to drive past..................

Punch and Judy pub Soi 17 claims beer batter

Doesn't anyone know or like..... S C H N A P P E R?

Red Snapper (if that's what you mean) is delicious. Used to buy frozen fillets (from Thailand or Senegal) all the time back in Europe. Very cheap indeed. The frozen ones were small and I always used to just fry them in oil (no flour needed) and serve on green salad but I dare say they would be good in batter also, if larger.

it was about a month ago, i can see it from my front door and drive past it almost every day

after my last two visits when both the Thai and farang food was just awful and the thai wife and i told them so, now we just continue to drive past..................

Certainly would agree with you about the general quality of the food there, gone downhill of late and uphill in price, but the homemade sausages there are without any doubt the best I have had here, and at (I think) THB180/kg, a bargain.

My current favorite is the Jolly Friar.

I tried this place an the fish was loaded with grease and chips were the same.

Interesting. That hasn't been my experience. Inconsistency in restaurants in Thailand? What a shock!

This brings up an interesting issue though. In my experience, if you go often enough, pretty much every fish and chips place in town is inconsistent. Unless you go 10 times to each, and I don't wish to get much fatter, it's hard to judge how inconsistent. My last few times at the Village have been greasy affairs, so I stopped going, but who knows if I went eight more times, perhaps then no grease. Life can be greasy.

Edited by Jingthing

for what it's worth the jolly friar in soi lenkee gets my vote.

located left hand side between soi buakoaw and 3rd road

nicely fitted out in blue and white and modeled on a brighton fish and chip shop i believe

i ate there on day 1 of trading back in last july and it was ok but nothing special.

but last trip in jan i went twice and thought the fish and chips were excellent inc some of the best chips i have ever had in 23 years of visiting thailand.

most people in there were eating some form of fish and chips and the product coming out of the kitchen looked pretty good to me.